AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-06, 15:36   Link #2861
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
SF and GG are extremes.
The major difference between them, is that "footsies" happens alot more often in the air since jumping isn't unsafe as SF.

Now if you look at KOF, UNiB and Ougon you'll notice that they're more focused towards traditional footsies. No crazy aircombos there or airblocking to some extent.
Then you have Marvel, a "western" game that allows more movement freedom than said games. Yet, can't be considered one.

Gameplay style and Art Direction are very broad definitions to sort anime games from non.

Saying that they're newer fighting games with original characters, makes everthing easier.
Old 2013-01-06, 15:53   Link #2862
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
SF and GG are extremes.
The major difference between them, is that "footsies" happens alot more often in the air since jumping isn't unsafe as SF.

Now if you look at KOF, UNiB and Ougon you'll notice that they're more focused towards traditional footsies. No crazy aircombos there or airblocking to some extent.
Then you have Marvel, a "western" game that allows more movement freedom than said games. Yet, can't be considered one.

Gameplay style and Art Direction are very broad definitions to sort anime games from non.

Saying that they're newer fighting games with original characters, makes everthing easier.
Yes and that's why i mentioned it earlier if you are able to block in the air or not and the universal defences characters have.
Jumping in sf4 is generally considered unsafe, yet in sf3 you could parry mid air and you could even block in the air in the alpha series. In that aspect all 3 of them play drastically different while they still belong in the same series of games.

I find it odd that people are making distinctions between western and japanese fighting games seeing that almost every fighting games including the 3d ones like tekken, soul calibur, DoA and the capcom's VS series are technically all japanese. The only few recent ones that are actually western are mortal kombat and the 2d fighting game Skull girls.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 00:18   Link #2863
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post

II. Distinct Style
They're not all 2D. Couldn't DBZ, Naruto, One Piece or Bleach be considered Anime games? They're based off Animes!
Well, yeah but only if they were meaningful games. Sorry fans, but these games are made with Story and Marketing in mind, not proper competition.

Keeping that in mind, mostly 2d games are made by "I've never heard" companies and distributed by known ones. More over, you get all these shining gauges, good amount of fanservice and sparkling combos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
When someone calls a character or game "Anime" it's based on the character's design and moves/gameplay.
A bit of clarification here: I'm referring to the division between 2D games that the term causes not the fighting games in general. From my experiences games like BB and P4A mainly get that label due to artstyle and perceived tropes associated with the word. In the FGC, Weaboo and Anime are pretty much interchangeable and often considered a negative influence (heh the irony) despite sharing general mechanics of older 2D Fighters. It feels like a superficial sub-genre setup to further hate on these types of games.

At least in something like RPGs, sub-genres like Strategy RPGS, Action RPGs etc actually make sense since there are major mechanical differences in those games and traditional RPGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Most of the current FGC don't give a shit about any game except Marvel and SFIV, that includes Capcom games like SFxT and Namco games like Tekken Tag 2 (yeah Tekken heads flocked to it, but that's the norm) and SC5. KOF XIII gets a lot of love though....
Yeah, calling the current western FGC a "fighting community" rather than Capcom fighters general is a little misleading now.

KoF probably gets a pass because it's a long running series from 90s with very dedicated cult fanbase. It has a prestige (rivaling SF back in it's heyday) the current 2D ones lack even if the series in general isn't very different any other 2D fighter.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 00:34   Link #2864
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

Yeah, calling the current western FGC a "fighting community" rather than Capcom fighters general is a little misleading now.

KoF probably gets a pass because it's a long running series from 90s with very dedicated cult fanbase. It has a prestige (rivaling SF back in it's heyday) the current 2D ones lack even if the series in general isn't very different any other 2D fighter.
Actually, KoF's fanbase is more concentrated in Mexico. The United States is pretty much dominated by Capcom fighters.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 00:41   Link #2865
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
For what it's worth, we'll see where anime fighters stand come tuesday, when they announce the games for EVO.
There's very little reason P4U should stay out of it, but we'll see, because it'll be a damn shame if it doesn't make it.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 00:58   Link #2866
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Persona 4 should be in. With all the accolades it's gotten it should be. Wasn't Guilty Gear at Evo before?
Old 2013-01-07, 05:25   Link #2867
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Persona 4 should be in. With all the accolades it's gotten it should be. Wasn't Guilty Gear at Evo before?
Side event I think. Then GG died and BB took over, but BB has been relegated to side events too because the community here never really had the numbers. Now it's competing against P4U too, so it's probably not going to get in unless it's fantastic or P4U dies off.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 06:04   Link #2868
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
When someone calls a character or game "Anime" it's based on the character's design and moves/gameplay.
.....Then isn't a whole ton of Capcom and SNK games "anime" too...seeing how that's like..standard Japan game design...
Old 2013-01-07, 12:00   Link #2869
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
.....Then isn't a whole ton of Capcom and SNK games "anime" too...seeing how that's like..standard Japan game design...
Hence, our criticism towards that "type" of naming.

For me, there's only Action Fighters, 3D Fighters and 2D Fighters.
Old 2013-01-08, 19:52   Link #2870
Iron Maw
Banned

I've been coming across this early tier list fairly frequently around DL lately. As always this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's nice to get a general view about how JP players are feeling towards the cast:
Quote:
S: Taokaka, Hazama, Hakumen, Jin, Litchi
A+: Mu, Azrael, Valkenhayn, Relius
A: Ragna, Carl, Arakune, Rachel, Tsubaki, Bang, Platinum, Nu
B: The Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Actually, KoF's fanbase is more concentrated in Mexico. The United States is pretty much dominated by Capcom fighters.
Oh that's interesting. KoF still seems to have some presence here though as XI and XIII were pretty hyped.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 01:01   Link #2871
Rias

Quote:
I've been coming across this early tier list fairly frequently around DL lately. As always this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's nice to get a general view about how JP players are feeling towards the cast:

S: Taokaka, Hazama, Hakumen, Jin, Litchi
A+: Mu, Azrael, Valkenhayn, Relius
A: Ragna, Carl, Arakune, Rachel, Tsubaki, Bang, Platinum, Nu
B: The Others

General consensus does have Tao, Hazama, Hakuman, Litchi, and Jin at the top, with Jin being the "weakest" of the top tier.

On the other hand, Izayoi, Amane, Makoto are frequent bottom tier characters on most lists.

The middle ones are always the topic of discussion.
Old 2013-01-09, 03:28   Link #2872
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Serious buff Mu got there
Old 2013-01-09, 03:47   Link #2873
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

so Izayoi's low tier huh?
different from what I've imagined when her gameplay preview was shown. I thought she'd be top tier for sure

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 04:19   Link #2874
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Serious buff Mu got there
I actually think she got nerfed though
Old 2013-01-09, 12:04   Link #2875
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
General consensus does have Tao, Hazama, Hakuman, Litchi, and Jin at the top, with Jin being the "weakest" of the top tier.

On the other hand, Izayoi, Amane, Makoto are frequent bottom tier characters on most lists.

The middle ones are always the topic of discussion.
Horizontal order often doesn't matter in these lists.

Jin is without a doubt the most solid.
Old 2013-01-09, 13:35   Link #2876
Velsy

I have some questions to ask

I picked up Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger (its the first one right?) on a friends request over Christmas. I've finished the last game I was playing so I've decided to give this a whirl now. So my main question as a total newbie to the game, Which character storys do you recommend to play first and is there any tips or stratergies I should know about?

I just watched the opening scene and am a little confused what happened. Some science experiment gone wrong? a satellite launching an attack from space ? Is it normal to not get what just happened ?
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 14:25   Link #2877
ZeroForever

you're not really supposed to understand what's going on in the storyline until you do most of them to unlock the true end.

general thing you should understand is that in CT it's a time loop so all the non-comedy ending technically do happen in one loop or another.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:54   Link #2878
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I have some questions to ask

I picked up Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger (its the first one right?) on a friends request over Christmas. I've finished the last game I was playing so I've decided to give this a whirl now. So my main question as a total newbie to the game, Which character storys do you recommend to play first and is there any tips or stratergies I should know about?
It's best to choose a character that has the play style that best suits you, or appeals to you. You can even choose by character design. Try all of them before, and you'll be able to decide.

If you want to play for fun, or want to play other players as early as possible, then simple characters like Ragna or Jin is easy to start with. Noel is also easy to use in BBCT as you could mash her drive moves. If you want to win, then you'd have to pick the strong characters.
Old 2013-01-10, 18:09   Link #2879
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Noel is also easy to use in BBCT as you could mash her drive moves. If you want to win, then you'd have to pick the strong characters.
That's... terrible advice to give. You're encouraging bad habits by telling him to D spam with Noel. That's like telling people to do flowchart Ken with Shoryukens all day.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 18:18   Link #2880
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I thought noel was stupidly hard with her haida loops in ct and cs 1-2

Tags
3ds, arc system works, arcade, fighting, ps vita, ps3, psp, windows, xbox360