AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-24, 11:04   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Amy related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suisei no Gargantia fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-04-24, 14:05   Link #2
Shinhwa
Banned

If Urobutcher murders her, I will cry ;___;
Old 2013-04-24, 15:11   Link #3
ReddyRedWolf

Since Hisako Kanemoto voices her I can't help but think an odd combination of Kanata from Sora no Woto and Ika- Musume for Amy.

One she lives in a post apocalypse world , and well she lives in an ocean and never been to land before.

Oh yeah don't take that innocent look for granted. Given her first words being translated she has dirty mouth. We all know what Reproduction with ones own mother means.
Old 2013-04-24, 15:24   Link #4
Shinhwa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Since Hisako Kanemoto voices her I can't help but think an odd combination of Kanata from Sora no Woto and Ika- Musume for Amy.

One she lives in a post apocalypse world , and well she lives in an ocean and never been to land before.

Oh yeah don't take that innocent look for granted. Given her first words being translated she has dirty mouth. We all know what Reproduction with ones own mother means.
When that was translated by Chamber, I laughed XD
Old 2013-04-24, 15:34   Link #5
ginger02

That part was funny. Still, I find Amy to be a sweet girl overall.
Old 2013-04-24, 15:54   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

She looks great, and her conversations with Chamber are pretty interesting to be honest. However, I'm still not even sure Urobutcher will take her further when it comes to suffering.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-04-24, 18:08   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm not much of a fan of dark skin girl.. except in some genres... hehehe

Anyway.. she's good for now...
Old 2013-04-28, 14:51   Link #8
ginger02

I'm really enjoying her character. Maybe because I find her relatable.

I'm curious where her parents are though, or what happened to them.
Old 2013-04-28, 15:37   Link #9
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I'm really enjoying her character. Maybe because I find her relatable.

Spoiler for episode 4:
Old 2013-04-29, 04:57   Link #10
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Spoiler for episode 4:
they died during the previous Holy Grail wars
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2013-04-29, 07:04   Link #11
Raviel

^What? Did I miss a VA joke about Amy and Bevel?
Old 2013-04-30, 09:32   Link #12
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Same here. You mean in Fate Zero?
Old 2013-05-16, 14:35   Link #13
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 4:

They're Kugel's children, grandchildren, descendents.

Kugel and Ledo were both trailing behind the others. Wormhole accident stuff... time travel, it happens.

Kugel arrived first but his giant robot was trashed. He managed to survive, got taken in much like Ledo. Kugel ended up marrying a local.

The leader of the fleet could be related to Kugel or have known him. He saw Avalon and Gargantia is based on it. I'm waiting for the twist!
Old 2013-05-20, 11:26   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The thing that struck me most about Amy were her character designs. Specifically, the color that they use for her eyes seems to be a different hue than many other series use. Characters in this series seem to have more vibrant colorations used for their eyes than other series in general. A contributing factor may be that the brightness of the eye coloration is maintained even in darker scenes, whereas many other series tend to go for a more realistic shading and tone back the colors in dimly lit scenes.
Old 2013-06-17, 08:25   Link #15
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Well, almost to the end of the show, we still don't know a whole lot about our leading lady, which has been one of my main disappointments. I know; maybe there isn't a whole lot to know about her. And there's nothing really wrong with just being a cheery genki girl (and she hasn't done anything really stupid or bitchy), but as some /a/nons put it, it makes her seem more like a tool than a human character if her only ultimate purpose in this show was to ignite romantic desire in Ledo and give him something worth protecting by his own free will...which unfortunately isn't much better than Asuna from SAO.

And now that I think about it, her crying over a guy she's known for probably a month at best but not the departure of her longtime friend seemed a little off-base. Yes, I know she's still a pubescent girl likely in the throes of a crush, but still. That said, I still have to admire how she places the care for her brother over her possible desire of Ledo, and also how she seems to have gotten over her despair and said (gasp) "I can't stay sad forever." (That said, if she is supposed to be a caring Madoka Kaname archetype, why isn't she at all worried about Melty?)

It might actually be a refreshing turn in this anime if at the end (assuming she isn't Gen's sacrificial lamb) Ledo confesses to her and she tells him, "I'm sorry Ledo-kun, but...the flame's died down now. But we can still be friends."

And whether you think she's a tool character or has something special, I don't think she merits the hate and death wishes seen on the Anime Planet forums. (Of course, heh, all you really need to know about Anime Planet is that Madoka Kaname ranks at No. 440 on their best characters list...and Asuna ranks at 94. )

Last edited by andyjay729; 2013-06-17 at 08:53.
Old 2013-06-17, 12:41   Link #16
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
It might actually be a refreshing turn in this anime if at the end (assuming she isn't Gen's sacrificial lamb) Ledo confesses to her and she tells him, "I'm sorry Ledo-kun, but...the flame's died down now. But we can still be friends."
You are playing with a dangerous "beserker button" there
How do you think Ledo would react, when the one "logical" reason for him to side with the Gargantians is lost?

And how Chamber would (maybe) put it:

"Ensign Ledo must protect his ideal mating partner to preserve his genes, so this Machine Caliber Unit can be piloted by another human with provable ties to the Galactic Alliance after Ensign Ledo's body functions cease to be."
Old 2013-06-19, 12:22   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I always found Amy likable, but its only recently that I found her to be a truly good character. The main reason being that she finally showed herself capable of expressing a full range of emotions (including sadness). So at least she's a believable character to me now. It's just that her default position is cheerfulness because she's very much a "glass half full" type of person.

I don't think she's one of Gen's best female characters - She's not as complex as either one of the main cast members of Madoka Magica, for example - But I think she's at least solid, decent, sufficient. And I am emotionally invested enough in her that I want a happy ending for her. Truthfully, I think she's the character that probably deserves a happy ending the most.
Old 2013-06-30, 19:06   Link #18
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Did anyone get a feeling her development with Ledo seemingly put on hold? It felt they were progressing at a nice pace, but then the 2nd half happened.

Tags
characters