Notices

Old 2007-12-11, 17:36   Link #361
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2007-12-11, 23:43   Link #362
Srin Tuar
無謀

Hrm, episode 10 was enjoyable despite the predictably horrible english.
I suppose for a seiyuu this counts as better than average...
but putting accents aside, the dialog was a bit of a stretch.

It was pretty much a stereotype festival. (Japanese people are empathetic, use non-verbal communication, etc. americans are katte and donkan, etc)

I thought the part about Sue was funny to the point of realistic.
The way she blurts out serifu that she doesnt fully understand until she
gets a reaction reminds me of myself when i was first learning.
the reaction is very satisfying, its makes you feel like you finally have a grip on
the language and can communicate. when i was first learning, i tried various
insults on an individual, which to my frustration he seemed to casually ignore.
But, i kept trying, until he finally got angry, hehe then i knew i was saying them effectively
(i think i broke him with a variation of "yarou")

I liked to see ono caught in conflict between jealousy and her natural compulsion to assist fellow cosplayers. (she said in a previous episode that she felt his making costumes for other girl withou her permission made her angry, so im surprised he went against her this time )

i guess if you ignore the silly english, and the near lack of communication between sue and angela, it was a very enjoyable episode.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 04:43   Link #363
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Maybe they picked seiyuu whose English don't suck so much...but unfortunately, Kawasumi Ayako isn't very good at it, and it's not like they can change her with someone else better.

I found it amusing that the one person who is supposed to be "better" at English than others - Gotou Yuuko - did not get to say a single word of English in the episode (apparently she received some sort of English qualification)
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 08:25   Link #364
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
Maybe they picked seiyuu whose English don't suck so much...but unfortunately, Kawasumi Ayako isn't very good at it, and it's not like they can change her with someone else better.

I found it amusing that the one person who is supposed to be "better" at English than others - Gotou Yuuko - did not get to say a single word of English in the episode (apparently she received some sort of English qualification)
Well, technically passing Level 1 of the Eiken means she understands English without any major issues, but who knows what her pronunciation will be like when she finally gets to say the
Spoiler:
line in the next episode.

What really bothered me is that I found Ohno's English (and her ethnocentric viewpoint) completely incompatible with someone who's supposed to have lived in the US for 10 years as a child. More realistically, her situation would be the opposite of how it was presented: her grammar and pronunciation would be near-flawless, but she'd have to stop and think about what she was going to say before she said it (rather like her Japanese early on in Genshiken season 1, though technically even now she probably shouldn't be at an adult level of Japanese unless she took some serious remedial courses before coming back to Japan). She'd also sympathize a lot more with Angela's philosophy, while still rebuking her for her behavior.

As for Angela, I found Yuki Kaida's English passable in spite of the wonky intonation and occasional poor word choice (I think Angela meant "sensitive" or even "considerate" every time she said "sensible," but maybe that's some crazy New England quirk or something ). Satsuki Yukino's lines were (mostly) all right, but I don't know if I'd believe that Saki actually ever went to an eikaiwa like she's supposed to have done. (Or maybe it was Nova ).

Also, Madarame's reaction to Angela's tiny bit of Japanese was overblown, but that's sadly the way a lot of people in Japan tend to think: even the first phrase you learn in Japanese 101 gets responses of "Nihongo jouzu desu ne" (though of course they'll try to communicate with you in English even if they are incapable of such). It gets old really fast, even if you are good at the language. (This kind of "cater to the English speaker while praising their feeble attempts at Japanese" sentiment is really annoying: Lately, this one lady at a restaurant I frequent keeps handing me the English menu even though she knows I can handle the language just fine, and it's kind of pissing me off right now. In case you couldn't tell.)

Last edited by RandomGuy; 2007-12-12 at 08:38.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 09:57   Link #365
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
(This kind of "cater to the English speaker while praising their feeble attempts at Japanese" sentiment is really annoying: Lately, this one lady at a restaurant I frequent keeps handing me the English menu even though she knows I can handle the language just fine, and it's kind of pissing me off right now. In case you couldn't tell.)
The poor lady probably doesnt have anyone else she can hand that menu to.
Humor her If you worked in a restaurant in the US, and they had a Japanese
menu translation, you might be pretty excited to get to show off your restaurants J menu
if you finally got a japanese customer...
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 10:52   Link #366
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

oh no, the engrish was the best part.

it was actually done well... in a horrid ear piercing way.

seeing the japanese subtitles on the screen was 100% win.

these two NA characters are definitely interesting at the least. why she took her shirt off and wasnt wearing a bra.........

you must not travel alot RandomGuy. because I've had that done to me all over the world.
I'm even guilty of doing it myself most likely when I meet foreigners, which I do all the time.

お’ かえりなさいませ ごしゅうじんさま!
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 11:06   Link #367
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I went to a English resaurant and they gave me an Americanized menu. I was like..wtf I can read any kind of English...

I always find it laughable when hearing 'English' in Japanese shows. The onyl show I have ever seen do it perfect was Ghost Hunt. They either hand an American or Canadian va or a Japanese va who spent a lot of time in NA. The accent and sound was perfect, for a second I thought it was dubs.

Every other show I have seen has really bad English, sometimes to the point I can't even understand my native language.

And Ohno..come on. You lived 10 years in the US, you should sound a lot better. She actually should have been spotty in Japanese, unless her parents still talked to her in Japanese at home.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 12:03   Link #368
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 10
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 12:15   Link #369
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep 10
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-12-12, 12:42   Link #370
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 12:49   Link #371
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-12-12, 13:12   Link #372
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Spoiler:

its pretty obvious a relationship is going to develop between these two
Old 2007-12-12, 13:18   Link #373
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
its pretty obvious a relationship is going to develop between these two
Just because of that, doesn't mean the two will end up together.
Old 2007-12-12, 13:26   Link #374
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I never said just because of 'that'

for about half the episode she was talking about finding a (japanese) man who truly is understanding.

and that is madamare.
Old 2007-12-12, 14:22   Link #375
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I went to a English resaurant and they gave me an Americanized menu. I was like..wtf I can read any kind of English...

I always find it laughable when hearing 'English' in Japanese shows. The onyl show I have ever seen do it perfect was Ghost Hunt. They either hand an American or Canadian va or a Japanese va who spent a lot of time in NA. The accent and sound was perfect, for a second I thought it was dubs.

Every other show I have seen has really bad English, sometimes to the point I can't even understand my native language.

And Ohno..come on. You lived 10 years in the US, you should sound a lot better. She actually should have been spotty in Japanese, unless her parents still talked to her in Japanese at home.
Beck has good English in it. Some of the English dialogue was performed by native speakers, but it was also a pleasant surprise that one of the Japanese characters (i.e., Ryuusuke) speaks it well enough.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 17:49   Link #376
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Beck has good English in it. Some of the English dialogue was performed by native speakers, but it was also a pleasant surprise that one of the Japanese characters (i.e., Ryuusuke) speaks it well enough.
BECK?
The "APOWOGWIAZ" (Apologize) in episode 1 has relegated it to "bad English" category.

I thought Nanoha has good English. Ha!
"Alright, my master."

I sometimes almost actually wish I look foreign (I'm asian) when I go to Japan so people wouldn't assume that I speak japanese natively. But that probably just means I need more practice before I go there again >_>
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 17:56   Link #377
kujoe
from head to heel

Well yeah, but compared to the rest out there? Ryuusuke was "ok" but he was definitely better than his sister. At least the other characters who were supposed to be American sounded the part, thanks to their respective English-speaking actors.

Overall, just decent.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 18:11   Link #378
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Even better is Germish, lol.

I have heard vas try and speak German in anime, lol.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 19:49   Link #379
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Spoiler for ep10:
Gotou Yuuko was in a university program for translators but dropped out after two years to work in show business, first behind the scenes, then as a seiyuu. As I recall, people who were at the Anime Expo talk said her English was understandable but nowhere near fluent.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 10:33   Link #380
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Anime always has had a way of making English sound horrid and Americans crass.

I was amazed that of all people saki's English was the easiest on my ears...Not perfect, but it didn't make me wince either.

Wasn't a half bad episode in the end though we really need more Sue.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arms, comedy, romance, seinen, slice of life