AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2015-12-09, 19:39   Link #3021
DMurphy

Wait, hang on, how can it be the finals?

Any tournament, in order to come out with a clear winner, needs to have a final of two teams, a semifinal of four teams, a quarter-final of eight teams, etc.

We know that the doubles round must have at least six teams in it, so that's presumably the eight team quarter-final, so the round after that would be the semi-final, surely, unless there's going to be two winners.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 02:20   Link #3022
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

From what I can see, maybe this is the finals 1v1 match of the 1st group. JNPR and SSNN's 2v2 hasn't been completed, which I reckon is going to be the first part of the episode. While they fight Pyrrha talks with Ozpin, and then at the end Yang vs. Mercury begins to decide which team goes to the grand final.

And lemme tell you.

Yang's gonna get rekt'd.
Old 2015-12-10, 02:45   Link #3023
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So Punch Master VS Kick Master. Who would win?
Old 2015-12-10, 10:53   Link #3024
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It makes sense for Cinder to have Yang fight Mercury since:

1. As shown by Neo, Yang can be beaten handily by a prepared counterstriker who thinks and plans ahead.
2. As shown by Melanie Malachite, Yang had problems fighting opponents who primarily use kicks.

So yeah while Mercury isn't a counterstriker like Neo, he's prepared and plans ahead and looks to be a far better kick fighter than Melanie Malachite.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 11:02   Link #3025
DMurphy

I wonder if Cinder's plan is as simple as 'take out whoever Ozpin picks as his guardian with plausible deniability'.

If she can manipulate the match-ups and the fields, and if Mercury is good enough (and he seems to be), she can eventually have Pyrrha (who will obviously be JNPR's pick) and Mercury fight.

And then, at a critical moment, she can have some part of the arena fail. Maybe it shows Pyrrha as having more Aura than she does. Maybe part of the arena drops down into a bottomless pit beneath her. But one way or another, Pyrrha is left seriously injured or worse, and as far as anybody can tell, it's a terrible accident.

Which might be what the slight adjustment is: Instead of having Mercury and Pyrrha fight, the adjustment is that now Penny and Pyrrha fight - and at a critical moment, Cinder flicks a switch and Penny goes berserk. The guardian is taken care of, Ironwood is discredited, and the good guys' greatest weapon is shelved.

Old 2015-12-10, 11:57   Link #3026
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I wonder what name Cinder used for her team in the four-man battle? If we go by the rules of the world, it'll be a four letter name that either is a color or evinces a particular color, and uses the first letters in the team's names, which in this case might be C, E, M, and N. Hmmm... Ah, well, it'll come to us sooner or later...
Old 2015-12-10, 12:03   Link #3027
JaDe In NighT
Lolis are JUSTICE

Cement???
Old 2015-12-10, 12:56   Link #3028
Tormenk

^ LOL nice attempt. Cinder and Neo are probably using fake names though so the team name would probably be something else entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Which might be what the slight adjustment is: Instead of having Mercury and Pyrrha fight, the adjustment is that now Penny and Pyrrha fight - and at a critical moment, Cinder flicks a switch and Penny goes berserk. The guardian is taken care of, Ironwood is discredited, and the good guys' greatest weapon is shelved.
Probably what's going to happen in the end. Cinder would probably leak the secret of Penny's existence as an artificial being at the same time to smear Ironwood's reputation further.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 14:54   Link #3029
Wandering Soul

I wasn't expecting it to be the finals already.

Mercury actually does seem like a pretty good opponent against Yang. Not completely sure what's going on with Pyrrha, but I'm betting when it is her time to fight she'll go up against Penny. That isn't good considering the fact Cinder can control her.
Old 2015-12-10, 15:47   Link #3030
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I wasn't expecting it to be the finals already.
It could just be the finals for that group, determining who goes to the grand finals.

Regardless it is a bit weird, maybe they did just skip over JNPR vs. SSSN's doubles fight.
Old 2015-12-10, 17:30   Link #3031
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I wonder what name Cinder used for her team in the four-man battle? If we go by the rules of the world, it'll be a four letter name that either is a color or evinces a particular color, and uses the first letters in the team's names, which in this case might be C, E, M, and N. Hmmm... Ah, well, it'll come to us sooner or later...
Carmine. Not necessarily as their tournament name, but as a general team name.

It works no matter who the fourth member of the team is.

Cinder, Emerald, Mercury, and Neo? CarMiNE.

Cinder, Emerald, Mercury, and Roman? CaRMinE.

Cinder, Emerald, Mercury, and Adam? CArMinE.

And it's red, like Cinder's dress.

Old 2015-12-10, 18:11   Link #3032
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It makes sense for Cinder to have Yang fight Mercury since:

1. As shown by Neo, Yang can be beaten handily by a prepared counterstriker who thinks and plans ahead.
2. As shown by Melanie Malachite, Yang had problems fighting opponents who primarily use kicks.

So yeah while Mercury isn't a counterstriker like Neo, he's prepared and plans ahead and looks to be a far better kick fighter than Melanie Malachite.
1.You mean she can be handily beaten by prepared counterstriker OF NEO LEVEL. How many of these you think is around?
2. As for Melanie, I didn't really saw Yang have lot of trouble with her. She was slower and that's why few hits went in, but she wasn't really pressed.

Quote:
What about MNCE (Menace) I think it would fit nicely.
Old 2015-12-10, 19:03   Link #3033
Lord C

I'm honestly disappointed with JNPR's development so far.
Nora and Ren got little exposition aside from what she said in episode 1
Pyrrhagot none.
Jaune barely grew as a fighter.
I mean, they only got 1 fight, but in only one fight so much can be shown and achieved. I get it that their roles are straighted out with Jaune as a leader and the rest as fighters, but they barely had a good teamwork. I mean, one in RWBY level, even though they are prodigies.
It was just. Jaune: "do that". Others: "okay".
It was rather bland in my opinion, not to mean forced. And I kinda wanted to see more of Ren and Pyrrha. Ren see s like such such an interesting character after all
Old 2015-12-10, 20:06   Link #3034
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Blake's had her spotlight from the past two seasons so I'm pretty glad her turn's over, at least until Adam/White Fang shows up again. The focus's been pretty light on the other girls as a result and I'm glad Weiss and Yang is getting some attention lately. Ruby's spotlight's is split with Penny for the most part so I'm hoping that will develop Ruby as much as Penny is going to.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I mean, I am glad Yang and Weiss are getting more screen time. I just have found it odd that Blake has been almost totally absent.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 15:48   Link #3035
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I wonder if Cinder's plan is as simple as 'take out whoever Ozpin picks as his guardian with plausible deniability'.

If she can manipulate the match-ups and the fields, and if Mercury is good enough (and he seems to be), she can eventually have Pyrrha (who will obviously be JNPR's pick) and Mercury fight.

And then, at a critical moment, she can have some part of the arena fail. Maybe it shows Pyrrha as having more Aura than she does. Maybe part of the arena drops down into a bottomless pit beneath her. But one way or another, Pyrrha is left seriously injured or worse, and as far as anybody can tell, it's a terrible accident.

I know that Mercury wins if he fughts Pyrrha, but wouldn't Pyrrha's semblance work well on Penny? Even when accounting berserk, how will a mutual destruction pull of a full blown war?
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 16:33   Link #3036
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
I know that Mercury wins if he fughts Pyrrha, but wouldn't Pyrrha's semblance work well on Penny? Even when accounting berserk, how will a mutual destruction pull of a full blown war?
It could even be lethal to Penny, since she's a robot. But we don't know how micro-tech works in the RWBY universe, it might not be so susceptible to magnets as we think.

But yes, despite Penny's ridiculous strengths Pyrrha definitely has the ultimate edge with her semblance.
Old 2015-12-11, 17:06   Link #3037
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
You're right, I actually completely forgot about that.

Old 2015-12-11, 19:13   Link #3038
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach56gs View Post
It could even be lethal to Penny, since she's a robot. But we don't know how micro-tech works in the RWBY universe, it might not be so susceptible to magnets as we think.

But yes, despite Penny's ridiculous strengths Pyrrha definitely has the ultimate edge with her semblance.
I point you to a line from Ruby in this last episode.

"How do you control those swords?"

How indeed? Just the wires wouldn't allow for near the level of control she shows. She might not be quite as defenseless against magnetism as people are assuming...
Old 2015-12-11, 22:01   Link #3039
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Quote:
I point you to a line from Ruby in this last episode.

"How do you control those swords?"

How indeed? Just the wires wouldn't allow for near the level of control she shows. She might not be quite as defenseless against magnetism as people are assuming...

If Penny is more dependent on magnetic control, that means she's at greater risk. Pyrrha's semblance can manipulate polarity and thus counters any sort of fighter that also relies on magnetism, because polarity is the underlying principle of magnetism.

So while Penny has an pretty unique ability, Pyrrha's semblance actually has pecedence over it.
Old 2015-12-12, 12:13   Link #3040
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episode 6:

Whoah. Massive lore dump in the first half. So lots of talk about powers, maidens, war and illuminati-like organizations and all that. Nothing completely alien to anyone who knows action Shounen tropes. So 4 maidens of great power, named after the 4 seasons, acting like guardians. One of the is about to die and Pyrrha is the chosen replacement because apparently the one to succeed is the one chosen by the previous maiden through thoughts. No natural way of transferring it this time, and the only way now is to force the previous maidens Aura into Pyrrha, with potentially disastrous consequences. Should also be noted that apparently that's the real Pyrrha based on the final 8.

I imagine that when something happens to the other 4, at least one RWBY member will likely be it. Consider the fact that there's a character named Winter is Weiss' sister and a character called Summer is Ruby's mom? Coincidence? Consider as well that the fall maiden nearing death has burn injuries on her face...

In the tournament itself its apparently the final 8 sequentially fighting each other 1 on 1 in succession until 1 person wins. The fight between Yang and Mercury was fantastically animated. Definite proof that the animation team still has it. But as for the end of the fight... my god...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
FUCK

YOU

CINDER.

Words cannot express what had just transpired. Taking into account what happened to the Fall maiden, Yang getting screwed over in that cliff hanger ending and the Grimm massing outside the arena, Cinder's plans are coming into full circle. Looks like what's left is what will happen to Penny and Pyrrha. If I'm correct, given that Yang just got screwed over, I'm almost completely sure that a Cinder-tampered Penny will be facing Pyrrha with... disastrous consequences. Cinder knows so much, perhaps as much or more than Ozpin et al.'s shadow group, which calls into question just who the fuck she really is. If Winter is a maiden, well she's a target. Likewise if Summer is/was also a maiden, this could mean that Ruby might be a successor, and thus also a target. Hell it takes intoo question just how Summer even died. Lots of people in the cross hairs of whatever the fuck Cinder has in store. Likewise, Cinder's last name is FALL.

Doom, gloom and death flags everywhere. No episode until January 2, 2016. Next year can't come any faster. Too much information and speculation. I need to ruminate on this after I change my underwear and get some sleep.

Edit - Fans posting in reddit are losing their collective shit. Hah!

Last edited by LKK; 2015-12-12 at 13:26. Reason: Added images tag
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby