AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-27, 01:02   Link #561
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Wtf happened to short-circuiting, inferno summoning excitement....
What's with the conversations that make no sense at all....
Obviously Kaori's side is difficult to understand cause I don't know much about her, but what Touma's saying is a bunch of bullshit or he's just a dumbass philanthropist.

Seriously, wtf... it's motto is 'When science and magic combine'...... not 'Which side has the right point of view when dealing with a person who has limited memory capacity'
It's still high on my rankings, but the quality of this series is steadily declining.

I haven't read the mangas so I don't have a comparison to go off of, but if the manga is anything like this, I would not start reading, because I would fall asleep reading about 'friendship'
Old 2008-10-27, 01:25   Link #562
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well since Index's memorization is supernatural in nature
Oya, oya, when was Index's memory said to be supernatural...~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
Wtf happened to short-circuiting, inferno summoning excitement....
What's with the conversations that make no sense at all....
Obviously Kaori's side is difficult to understand cause I don't know much about her, but what Touma's saying is a bunch of bullshit or he's just a dumbass philanthropist.

It's still high on my rankings, but the quality of this series is steadily declining.
I suggest waiting until around volume 3. The early volumes definitely are not great pieces of work, but it gets better after volume 2... to a extent. Touma's "hero-of-justice-wannabe-ness" shown this episode doesn't change so much though... I guess one just has to bear that... Tempo and story-telling get better, at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
I haven't read the mangas so I don't have a comparison to go off of, but if the manga is anything like this, I would not start reading, because I would fall asleep reading about 'friendship'
It's pretty much the same thing, but it's better done in the manga and novel. At least, you can't feel the dullness found in this episode. i guess it's because there are flashbacks in the manga (from what I remember...?) and the novel is full of words, so more words didn't feel awkward...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-27, 01:36   Link #563
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not when basic science principles are in violation. You can rewrite things but you can't rewrite basic human anatomy and physiology principles. The autonomic nervous system does not function differently in Index's universe as the manga-ka would not have thought that much about it. He conveniently used the number 15 instead of 5 so we know he did some research.
Orion, I hate to break it to you, but how can you even begin a tirade about "basic science principles in violation" in a show where espers summon lightning and loli teachers heal others with magic?

Also, your constant nagging about how "real streetfighting" should have been like is also getting on my nerves. Touma is no streetfighter, Kaori is no streetfighter, and both didn't even have a reason to fight each other to begin with. Let's discuss the anime the way it is, not how it should have been if Streetfighta orion would have been in it, okay?
Old 2008-10-27, 02:32   Link #564
elroid

this episode seems to have shorten up a lot stuffs, especially 2 of my favorite moment that suppose to happen in this episode...

Spoiler for the events that i expected happen:
Old 2008-10-27, 07:05   Link #565
Seeky

I hate to just barge in and what not. Anyways I was reading just a few pages back and well. I saw lots of complaining that's about it. I enjoy the anime, sure there are flaws here and there. Are you perfect :?. People can say this and that is wrong about this anime. Or in real life that's not possible. Heck of course its not.

I know its impolite to just come in like this and say anything like this. I was just looking for some information about this because it sparked my interest. Didn't really find anything I wanted though hehe.

To the person talking about the brain and what not. Here is something I don't know if any of you noticed or not. Yes, he can stop any magic thrown at him. The most powerful spell could become useless. The only major flaw in this anime, that everyone seemed to overlook (sorry if this did come up I didn't read everything). Even if he can stop magic, the first girl using the coin to make a rail gun can instantly kill him. In the opening song the boy who throws all that metal at him, he would also win.

His power counters other "powers". It does not cancel cause and effect. Unless he has some kinda shield stopping anything thrown at him. I fail to see how he can protect himself from the rail gun. Yes, it was started by magic. After it was shot it would still keep going without the magic. Someone could just drop something on him it would have the same effect. They didn't use magic to kill him directly, but indirectly. Magic can't hit him but I'm sure the cause can.

Anyways. There are flaws in almost any anime,cartoon,book,movie. It's for entertainment people. Stop complaining and just enjoy it. If you really are persistent, then stop complaining and go apply to see if you can help them make it better. Complaining here does no good.
Old 2008-10-27, 07:30   Link #566
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeky View Post
Stop complaining and just enjoy it. If you really are persistent, then stop complaining and go apply to see if you can help them make it better. Complaining here does no good.
Sigh why must we go through this AGAIN

Im not trying to pick on Seeky but i am so DAMN tired of reading this statement across the forums. It seems some of us have forgotten what a forum is for. Its for discussion of common interest and that includes criticism along with positive feedback no anime is perfect and pointing out flaws in a constructive way is say it with me now A DISCUSSION

Telling someone not to complain about a series is like telling them their opinion has no merit others opinions are just as important as the next person. Now if someone is flaming the thread i understand some negative feedback but telling someone to start complaining and go see if you can help them make it better is ludicrous.

No pulled your arm and said you have to read those post if it bothers you so much skip the post there are plenty of other post to read if you are only interested in the good points.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:10   Link #567
yjs

I've given up on this show making sense, but it's still a decent watch. The characters are still interesting, especially the villains. Touma, not so much. His non-stop self-righteous blabbing in episode 4 was just plain annoying.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:34   Link #568
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjs View Post
I've given up on this show making sense, but it's still a decent watch. The characters are still interesting, especially the villains. Touma, not so much. His non-stop self-righteous blabbing in episode 4 was just plain annoying.
Watch the next episode and it will make sense.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:37   Link #569
Seeky

I won't argue that the true purpose of the forum is that. It's just that most people will complain about the stupid things. I can live with the fact of a lot of things mind you.

Anyways you will have to forgive me. I don't normally keep an interest in anime forums at all. The only reason I was here was for a little information (mind you I didn't find any I wanted).

I'm not saying that this site does not have the info somewhere. I just can't handle complainers much anymore. Mind you I use to be an Admin for many of the guild/regiment/clan/whatever I use to be in since I was 14. I think reading the wow forums finally made me stop even looking at forums. I came across here and posted what I thought.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to just come in like I said. Anyways I dunno why I posted in the first place. Better to say nothing hehe. You won't have to worry I won't be here again to say anythin bad anymore.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:57   Link #570
yjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Watch the next episode and it will make sense.
Hopefully. Touma-nonsense was just too much for me, especially when he said he's 'always been Index's friend'...

But seeing Index being fully cute somewhat changed my thoughts on this show.
Old 2008-10-27, 09:10   Link #571
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjs View Post
I hate to just criticize, but come on, this episode was definitely far below expectations. The series has about a 50% win factor so far. I really want it to succeed, because it's so obviously a Shana-wannabe, but it sure doesn't compare at all this far into the series.

Touma is quickly turning Shinji on me, and that's so old it's not even mildly entertaining anymore. An angsty, self-loathing hero with a massive ability, but that apparently is defeated by simple physical attacks? What is the point then? If what Kanzaki explained is true, then show's over. Useless, whiny Touma, go back home and let the people with real talent handle it. Yes, Casshern is angsty, but
Spoiler for other series spoilage:
And yes, Yuji in Shana was angsty,
Spoiler for other series spoilage:

And basically spending half an episode with two characters stopping in the middle of a fight to have an emotionally charged, melodramatic, pseudo-scientific conversation riddled with obvious illogic and inaccuracies (oh, yeah, punctuated by Kanzaki saying the same thing and doing the exact same attack 5 times). The whole memory discussion was pure WTF, face-palm, and that would be okay, but it's apparently the whole premise of the plot. Yes, it's fantasy, but we are on Earth, and these are human beings.

I hate being this harsh, but this series seems to be really jerking me around, and not in a good way.

Best moment of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Maybe its a stretch, but want to put some faith in that right hand.
Sorry, too much Beavis & Butthead...

Last edited by pparker; 2008-10-27 at 10:12.
Old 2008-10-27, 09:21   Link #572
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
An angsty, self-loathing hero with a massive ability, but that apparently is defeated by simple physical attacks? What is the point then? If what Kanzaki explained is true, then show's over. Useless, whiny Touma, go back home and let the people with real talent handle it.
Self-loathing? And sorry if he can't go SSJ on you... His power is pretty useful at shielding him from, say, giant blasts of fire and lightning. It's a little too early to just dismiss his game-breaking power at this point, just because he can't kick everyone's ass with the wave of his hand. You'll see a good application of it soon enough.

Quote:
And basically spending half an episode with two characters stopping in the middle of a fight to have an emotionally charged, melodramatic, pseudo-scientific conversation riddled with obvious illogic and inaccuracies (oh, yeah, punctuated by Kanzaki saying the same thing and doing the exact same attack 5 times).
A fight isn't really possible against Kaori, like you just said, so there's not much else Touma can use against her besides the Power of Friendship.
Old 2008-10-27, 09:53   Link #573
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
...there's not much else Touma can use against her besides the Power of Friendship.
Which yes, makes for engaging action anime
Old 2008-10-27, 10:02   Link #574
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Yeah. Touma's hand would require constant direct contact, and holding hands forever--even with a pretty foreign loli--just isn't feasible.
True enough. The 'Double Arts' manga got canned since that kind of set up just isn't appealing to the audience these days . Though would be comical if he had to slap his hand onto her forehead forever .
Quote:
Index's "perfect memory" might be just a natural talent, in which case there's nothing Touma would be able to do with his hand.
Probably was a stretch with the backlash against it. But didn't really consider the ability to memorize absolutely everything she sees perfectly as a natural ability. Sure know people with photographic memories, but have never been worried about them blowing their brains up. That's a natural ability so aboe the norm I demand it to be supernatural .

If it is normal than Index is just screwed.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:04   Link #575
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
. Let's discuss the anime the way it is, not how it should have been if Streetfighta orion would have been in it, okay?
Well at least Streetfighta orion took classes and know when to throw a kick to the groin, etc.

Let's face it. Touma was handicapped so that we can have Kaori go emo on us and explain their side of the situation. It's pretty basic fighting to know when to groin kick someone.

Not buying the memory explanation one bit. It does state at around 11:18 in ep. 4 that if they don't erase her memories that she will die.

It is possible to fight Kaori. It's just that Touma being handicapped by the manga-ka wasn't applying basic fighting and/or dirty fighting techniques seen in other anime when he was in close range. He also could have used a weapon for longer range (shuriken or knife). If all else fails, let Mikoto in on the fun. Remember, a submachine gun beats most things. (Makina, 44, Revi, Saber, Shiki, Yomi or Kagura would have obliterated her.)
Old 2008-10-27, 10:12   Link #576
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Which yes, makes for engaging action anime
Go read Mx0 for an example of the direction a power like this can lead you. (It got cancelled, though, so the ending was a hasty wrap up. ) That character was pretending to be a master magic user in a magic school but had no power at all, so he had to survive (and fool the other students) using his wits. Well into the manga, he gets the limited power to cancel magic completely, has to master it, and has to find inventive ways of using it to keep up the charade. Something as unusual (at least in-universe) as his magic cancel has a lot of potential.

...To let him take Biri Biri's abuse, if nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well at least Streetfighta orion took classes and know when to throw a kick to the groin, etc.

Let's face it. Touma was handicapped so that we can have Kaori go emo on us and explain their side of the situation. It's pretty basic fighting to know when to groin kick someone.
1) Female.
2) I'm not going to try to cuntpunt a woman who has quite clearly demonstrated the power to render me into a fine mist from a mile away.

Touma's fight was really more to prove a point about his determination than anything else. He knew she was holding back big time from the very beginning; there's no way for him to really defeat her even if he could make contact in such a way.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:15   Link #577
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Eiyah... The last time I checked, Touma really is an 'normal' student It's not like he's a Delinquent who is experienced in fighting... In fact, it's remarkable that he could handle himself well enough against other more obviously experienced opponent.

Quote:
I hate to just criticize, but come on, this episode was definitely far below expectations. The series has about a 50% win factor so far. I really want it to succeed, because it's so obviously a Shana-wannabe, but it sure doesn't compare at all this far into the series.
What the heck? The only thing similiar is the animation.

Quote:
Touma is quickly turning Shinji on me, and that's so old it's not even mildly entertaining anymore. An angsty, self-loathing hero with a massive ability, but that apparently is defeated by simple physical attacks? What is the point then? If what Kanzaki explained is true, then show's over. Useless, whiny Touma, go back home and let the people with real talent handle it.
Massive? MASSIVE? I lol'd...

Obviously you haven't noticed, but Touma's power is severely limited in it's potential. It's way too easy to counter it and render it useless.

If you're expecting some super hero that can beat down all enemies, you're watching the wrong shounen series buddy. Touma is, in the contents of the story, an average person.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:22   Link #578
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Obviously you haven't noticed, but Touma's power is severely limited in it's potential. It's way too easy to counter it and render it useless.
Sure it has its weaknesses and limits, but for its area of expertise, it has some nifty features. The strongest spells, defenses, and whatnot can be dispelled with incredible ease--like with the Walking Church. Do not diss the power to shred loli clothing.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:28   Link #579
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Sure it has its weaknesses and limits, but for its area of expertise, it has some nifty features. The strongest spells, defenses, and what not can be dispelled with incredible ease--like with the Walking Church. Do not diss the power to shred loli clothing.
Oh no doubt, no doubt. I'm won't argue about that, but I'm just saying that the short comings to having this power really overwhelms the advantage that most of the time it's better to trade that power for another...

...Especially when you consider the area of effect that the power is restricted to...
Old 2008-10-27, 10:30   Link #580
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Yeah... Touma complains about this, too, in the manga if nothing else. What with the bad luck and all. "Blessed With Suck" even.

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen