Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-09, 03:48   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Winter 2010 Anime Review Thread: Post Your Opinion and Grade

Here's the thread for first impressions and reviews of the winter 2010 anime shows. Most of them already started, though if you want a complete list see here.

You can rate as you wish, by using the A/F format, the 1/10 format, the "adjectives" format (good, great, bad, mediocre) and so on. For tidiness' sake please include the following basic informations in your reviews:

Name of the series
Episodes watched
Brief comment
Rating
Old 2010-01-09, 17:44   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

My 1-line reviews (no more then 1ep on all too)

Cobra the Animation dropped for childish stupidity

(50pts) CHU-BRA!! "talking boobs" says it all. It hardy has fanservice though (surprise!), just awkwardness at every corner.
(90pts) Sora No Woto K-on! + military + mythical setting; best show of the entire season so far
(50pts) Ladies versus Butlers! Its your typical harem. I laughed so moving to Ep2
(50pts) Omamori Himari So far fanservice of the season. Art kinda crappy, idea not bad.
(80pts) Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu? Bekemongatari of the season... nuff said.
(0pts) Dance in the Vampire Bund I was sure I wasn't gonna like it. But damn, worst first episode in history (given material).
(50pts) Dhurarara!! "Yawn" show. Somehow I'm getting Bacano vibes. Gonna give it another episode...
(90pts) Hidamari Sketch×Hoshimittsu best slice of life of the season.
(70pts) Ookami Kakushi so far... boring/cliche, I still have hopes for the idea/mystery to kick in later.
Old 2010-01-10, 12:35   Link #3
jsieczkar

First episode thoughts, I'll update later on

Chuu Bra!! (1, Dropped) -- unimpressive plot, unimpressive characters, unimpressive art this all adds up to one unimpressive show. Grade F (1/10)
Ladies versus Butlers!: (1, Dropped) -- Is your run of the mill Seinen Ecchi Harem show, the cast is just what you would expect and they all fit perfectly into the normal roles. The animation is bellow average, the art is bellow average and the story is a generic puppy mill story line. The masses craving cute characters will eat it up, but the series lacks any real merit. Grade F (4/10)
Dance In The Vampire Bund (2, Dropped) -- Loli fanservice = bad, the amount of blood does not make up for the rest of the show's issues. Grade F (4/10)
Seikon no Qwaser (1, Dropped) -- Well nothing to this series, I was bored to tears then fell asleep. Grade F (5/10)
Omamori Himari (1, Dropped) -- I have to say I was frustrated with this one do to it having a very good storyline. That was buried under a heaping scoop of boing characters and fanservice. The introduction segment showed a darkish harem which could be interesting, then the boing came, then the groping, then the licking, then the Pantsu, etc, etc, etc. But if you live for fan service you might like it. Grade F (5/10)
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (1, Dropped) -- A school that strictly stratifies students, and the comforts of their classrooms, by test scores. The lowest ranked class rallies to use experimental fantasy summoned monsters to battle the higher ranked classes for school supremacy. Seriously this and to it that the technical merits for the show are low and it is another failure. Grade F (5/10)
Cobra the Animation: (1, Dropped) -- Well still another bellow average show this one is only bellow average and not failing. I give the creators credit in being able to keep a 1970's era show relativity fresh. The animation and art was good, the story line was fair to good, but the character design was bad. The main villain is a amazon who wears a gimp mask, a bikini top and a G-string. Her cohort is a mummy with a gold bulls head, and it continues from there. Grade D (6/10)
Sora no Oto (2, Dropped) -- I thought that the background art was very impressive, but the character art was equally unimpressive. Episode two showed that the series has no real backbone and is just sugary pop trying to be more then it is. Grade D (6/10)
Ookami Kakushi (1, Dropped) -- The premise of the show seemed interesting and I liked the first part of When They Cry. But the character design is so awful as is the background art to make this show unwatchable. Grade D (6/10)
Durarara!! (3, Watching) -- So far the best show of the season. Grade B (8/10)
Hanamaru Youchien (2, Watching) -- A bashed this series pre season and I was wrong. I have no idea why I liked it but time flew by when I was watching the show. Grade B (8/10)
Nodame Cantabile: Finale (1, queued) -- If you liked the first three installments you will like this one Grade A (9/10)
Katanagatari (0, queued) Grade ?

Season Average: 5.6

Last edited by jsieczkar; 2010-01-22 at 20:36.
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 13:20   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Sora no Woto - (1 episode, 8.4/10, B) - So far, it looks promising... although the characters looks like something that came out of K-ON! or Kannagi, it really have very nice eye candy and also not much moe at all, but actual plot... Being a original work, I have high expectations for it... so yeah.
Old 2010-01-10, 16:44   Link #5
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Chartfag counts 23 TV series ...

Fringy anime I'm not interested in: Yawarakame, Rose O`Neill Kewpie, Hipira-kun, Yume o Kanaeru Zou, Gag Manga Biyori +, Unko-san. Kaitou Reinya should also go here although I did watch one episode (raw). 16 remaining.

Sequels I'm not interested in: Weiß Survive R, Cobra, Nodame Cantabile: Finale, some new Precure. 12 remaining. I've seen the first episode if not otherwise indicated.

I've already dropped these:
Chuu Braa: ecchi, panties and bras
Ladies versus Butlers: harem, maids
Omamori Himari: sudden cat spirit girlfriend appearance, harem
Seikon no Qwaser: (watched the raw) giant breasts, breast-feeding

8 remaining.

I have low expectations of:
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Seinen, really? Is this Pokemon? And shaft style is a virus and begins to get on my nerves.
Ookami Kakushi: Also a harem, but seems to have a story which is a good sign. Then again, this is also how Chaos Head or 11 Eyes started, so yeah ...
Dance In The Vampire Bund: The first episode was more like the zeroth and I suppose they won't do trash TV parodies for the rest of the show. But for all I've heard this is mainly loli fanservice. Also, see above about shaft style.

I have somewhat higher expectations of:
Hanamaru Youchien: Awwwwww how cute. I'm always very skeptical of Gainax productions. But that doesn't look like material they could fuck up ... I hope.
Hidamari Sketch X Hoshimittsu: More of the same, I don't see what could go wrong here. HS was Shaft before Shaft began to go on my nerves so I'm OK with that. Maybe I'm a hypocrite.

This really grabbed my attention so far:
Sora no Oto: aka K-On goes to war. Unlike K-On, I see hints of a story here. If not I'm gonna stare at the backgrounds for the rest of the show.
Durarara: I have no idea where this is going but it already looks refreshingly different from the standard shounen/seinen action formula.

What remains is Katanagatari which doesn't start before the 26th.
Old 2010-01-10, 23:50   Link #6
karumofin

Durarara: so far the only series that even remotely caught my interest. First ep was really not saying a lot, but im happy with the production values and the characters seem to be interesting. definately watching.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 01:46   Link #7
ac3y

Sora no Woto: Art was good, characters didn't grab my attention too much. Seems like a more boring, less funny version of K-ON! 6/10

Durarara!!: I really like the character designs and the story so far really interests me. My only concern is that I won't be able to follow all the characters, since there are so many of them. 9/10

Dance in the Vampire Bund
: It was okay. Sketchy video quality kinda took away some of the enjoyment, and I found some of the characters flat out ugly. However, I have a feeling that this is one of those where you need to watch more than the first episode to have any kind of feeling whatsoever about the series. 7/10

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
: I thought this looked really bad when I saw the preview, but it's actually pretty alright. The whole concept of the show has potential, I just hope they don't ruin it by going the cheap shonen route. 8/10
Old 2010-01-11, 03:59   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Omamori Himari (1 episode, dropped?)
Uhm okay nothing I haven't seen before. Will probably try episode 2. Probably.

Chu-Bra!! (1 episode, dropped)
I have to credit this show for being uncompromising in it's vision and purpose. It's purely what it is and doesn't pretend to be any deeper than it's exact premise. That said, I won't say whether it's good or bad, but it simply isn't my cup of tea.

Ookami Kakushi (1 episode, 8/10)
The first of Ryukishi's adapted work that I had no information coming in so I'm flying in the dark as most others. His style is evident from the first episode, if rather formulaic for the obvious Higurashi comparisons and presentation. Will definitely stick around.

Sora no Woto (1 episode, 9/10)
Despite the comparisons to K-On!'s art style, the first episode has a very interesting setting, premise and very strong potential. Until the rest of the season airs, this is my must watch show of the season.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 10:05   Link #9
james0246

From what I have seen so far (edit: I will keep adding as I get through the various series):

Ookami Kakushi - Interesting. Nothing I haven't seen before, but all around a good start to a season. The 2nd and 3rd episode will tell me if I like this series and whether I will drop it. (It helps that I am a sucker for small town settings.) C+/B-.

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Lots of fun. I liked the overall presentation of the beginning of this story, and while some of the character designs were a little fugly, the tone of the first episode was quite fun and the idea seems interesting. Will definitely tune in for a 'regular' episode to see just what this series is about. B-.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - I've read several chapters of this series already, so I knew it could be interesting and funny, and the anime so far retains the same feel as the manga, so I will gladly give this series a few episodes. C+

Sora no Woto - nearly perfect introductory segment that nicely establishes the tone and pace of what is to follow. This is the overall best 1st episode I have seen so far for 2010. B/B+

Chu-Bra - surprising character depth (not that much, of course, but it was unexpected) for such a silly ecchi series. Will put on the back-burner, for now, and wait for a few more episodes to come out before I make a decision. C

Aki-sora - I actually liked the characters, but I am a bit befuddled as to why this is not an ero title. After reading some of the manga, though, and the increasing amount of booty (without any real reason) the protagonist gets, I am very reluctant to continue the anime series, especially since all the character depth seems to be focused in the first episode only (a romantic incest story could be interesting, but this appears to be very superficial). C-/D+

Durarara!! - A nice pace, good character designs , and a fun soundtrack adds greatly to this, at times, confusing episode. Definitely worth a watch with a lot of potential to be very interesting. B+

Hanamaru Youchien - irresistibly charming, cute character designs, and the possibility for an interesting story, all add nicely together to create this fun little series. The architecture of the kindergarten (best kindergarten ever!) alone makes me want to watch this series, but it was the gentle slow paced opening that really sold me...B+

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-13 at 22:27.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 11:50   Link #10
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hmmm this season is not so great .

Already Dropped :

1/10 - Chu-Bra - Panties , panties , panties ! Youhou
0,5/10 -Aki-sora (oav) - Omg/wtf incest for real
5/10 - Cobra the Animation - Well , i don't dislike it but this is old , i had enough of cobra.
2/10 - Ookamikakushi - Guy look like a girl lol - Not impressed and the first crush is a bit too much .

Watching and watched :

8/10 - Denpa teki na Kanojo (oav)- This show with his sick plot is great
9/10 - Hellsing Ultimate 7 - Great , it's Hellsing after all .
1/10 - Kanokon oav - Dissapointed -

6/10 - Qwaser of Stigmata - Ep 3 - Seems good even though breast milk feed is very weird but action is kinda good . Guy reminds me a young Allen Walker and Priest a old Ravi lol
5/10 - Ladies versus Butlers - Ep 3 - Want to see how it'll develop .
7/10 - Baka to test - Ep 3 - This show make me laugh , so i'll keep with this one .
7/10 - Dance in the Vampire Bund - Ep 3 -I kinda like the op , want more developement .
6/10 - Durarara - Ep 3 - Hmmm , a bit boring , hopefully some action .
5/10 - Omamori Himari - Ep 3 - Typical Anime but some nice comedy .
5/10 - Katanagatari - Ep 1 - Some Deja Vu , first bad guy horrible but character look fun .

That's all .

Last edited by -Sho-; 2010-01-30 at 11:09.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 15:22   Link #11
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Seen episode 1 of basically everything there was to see:

Ladies versus Butlers!: Certainly it seems to scream Kanokon all over again. Perhaps this time with a plot? 6/10
Chu-bra!! (seen 2 eps): Very unusual subject, the first episode wasn't impressive, but the second one marked a clear step ahead in the characters' interactions. 6/10
Sora no Woto (seen 2 eps): Visually stunning, a delicious slice of life. If the whispered plot will surface, a potential hit. 8,5/10
Dance in the Vampire Bund: Quite bored by the first episode, save the last 5 minutes of wild action. But it was clearly an introduction and not what the show has actually in store for us (or so I hope). 7/10
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: I laughed a lot in the first minutes for the silliness. But then when they introduced the combat systems I found the whole a bit slow and complicated. I don't mind the concept, which I find interesting, but the execution should be a bit more user friendly. 6,5/10
Durarara!!: Not my genre, but sometimes even I need an action fix. Episode 1 was basically a bunch of characters being introduced, can't really say much more than this if not that I'll keep watching. 7/10
Ookami Kakushi: The Higurashi-esque setting and functioning, a nice dose of mystery and a perfect pacing all mad for a nice episode 1. Definitely looking forward to see how it'll play. 8/10
Omamori Himari: As far as I know, the manga is fairly popular, but this first episode of the anime adaptation was particularly unimpressive. A bunch of old, stalling jokes and stereotypes. 5/10
Hidamari Sketch×☆☆☆: The first season was very good, the second season was excellent, so what's next? Hidamari Sketch, just like wine, seems to get better and better as it gets older. Adding two characters was also a very nice touch. 8,5/10
Hanamaru Youchien: I could never stop to smile in the first episode. The humour is supposedly innocent (being small kids) yet smart. The characters are all lovable with no exceptions. Sincerely there's much more than I expected. 8/10
Seikon no Qwaser: Not much to save here, a poor character design coupled with a poor storyline. There's a great cast of seiyuu, which perhaps will lead me to watch some more. 4/10
Old 2010-01-13, 20:33   Link #12
Socke
Banned

Sora no Woto : 7/10

A good start but I afraid that this show may become another K-On. People loved it and beginning but hated it later when it's ended. Just look how people bashed K-On today and look back when when it was aired for the first time. I just afraid the same thing may happened on Sora no Woto someday.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 21:44   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
Sora no Woto : 7/10

A good start but I afraid that this show may become another K-On. People loved it and beginning but hated it later when it's ended. Just look how people bashed K-On today and look back when when it was aired for the first time. I just afraid the same thing may happened on Sora no Woto someday.
So to sum it up, you're saying... "K-on! is bad because people are trolling it."? If you care how many people troll the/a show you should stop watching Sora no Woto now while you're ahead =P
Old 2010-01-14, 02:16   Link #14
gonzo562

Sora no Woto
Episodes Watched 2
Good musical score, Character remind me of k-on, and what can i say MIO with boobs i mean rio rio not mio.
Rating B

More Opinions To Come
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 13:58   Link #15
hinakatbklyn

I'm a little slow getting into the winter series but I still got a few choices to view:

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (3 Episodes - Will continue) nothing too original here. Cute characters, comedy, chibi battles. Still interested. 8.5/10
Spoiler for Series comparison:

Omamori Himari (2 episode - Will continue) Nothing wrong with more fanservice if the characters look cute or beautiful. A little action should keep it from being a one trick pony series. 8.5/10

Sora No Woto (1 episode - undecided) Never been into military themed series. But the light comedy aspect (realistic I might add) could keep me interested for awhile. The main characters (art wise) seem to look out of place with the other characters though. 7.5/10

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-01-24 at 22:31. Reason: Ongoing
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 16:48   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Episode II

Seikon no Qwaser even Queen's Blade wasn't this bad while I watched it, and I read some of the manga before dropping it, with out reavealing anything trust me when I say the idiotic H-stuff only gets worse! dropping while ahead, censored version sux too
Dance in the Vampire Bund it is what I though it would be, dropping
Dhurarara!! This is not crappy quality wise, but its so predictable, uninteresting and most of all boring. dropping

Pretty much sold on,

(100pts) Sora No Woto Gets +10 for plot and sexy Rio. Nice props and doodads, comedy is nice, expressions are epic. Its all great honestly. Even with K-on! pulling down on it this one manages to shine! and really the comparison with K-on! (and troll migration apparently) is its only "bad side".
(100pts) Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu? +10 for slapstick fun that's not overdone
(100pts) Hidamari Sketch×Hoshimittsu +10 points for win

Still pending

(50pts) Ladies versus Butlers! +10 for plot development -10 for fanservice. Maybe episode 2 better.
(70pts) Omamori Himari +10 for plot and +10 for less in your face fanservice. Art is looking a little better too.
(70pts) Ookami Kakushi so first episode was boring/cliche, 2nd episode is a different kind of boring/cliche; they need to stop the character development that's going nowhere and give us a hint of what exactly we're watching (even if its a lie)

So-so

(50pts) CHU-BRA!! its really tamed, but you can't really get away from the topic, I suppose this is suppose to be educational for girls or something (lol?) or not. Not bothering with it though might check to see where it goes later on.
Old 2010-01-17, 02:32   Link #17
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Off Episode 1/2:

Pending:

Durarara!! - 6.5/10 It's been somewhat interest plot wise, but pacing bothering me a bit, and still feels like something missing in this show particularly in action of the series, and characters I actually like in the show besides maybe Rio who is supposedly a minor character past here. If pacing and re-use of previous episodes like episode 2 is going to be pattern for the series then I might have to drop it, if it improves I'll keep the series.

Mostly Likely to continue watching:

Sora No Woto - 9/10 Great music, animation so far, characters are all pretty likable, and backstory[history/myths] been rather interesting and leaves a lot of different ways the plot could for this show.

Omamori Himari - 8/10 Improved from first episode in number of areas bit less fan service, better animation, more plot, and comedy. Well that and the super catchy ending theme song .

Waiting to air:
Katanagatari
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 05:41   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Sora No Woto 5.5/10: I've spent 3 episodes with this and still don't know whether it is going to be content with being a show with cookie cutter moe fantasy characters or if it is going to push for actual character development. I guess it doesn't help that I really only like one character in the show, find one insufferable and the other two just kind of unimpressive.

Durarara 8.5/10: Has been very intriguing of the 2 episodes I've seen so far. I really like the Pulp Fictionesque style of showing the same events from different angles each week so that eventually the bigger picture starts to fill in. A colourful cast of characters and catchy theme music balance this one out as a keeper for me. I'd also call this a slice of life long before I would Sora No Woto, but then again I have an entirely different definition for the term then most people seem to.

Baka To Test Shokanjuu 7/10: It shouldn't be funny or really even watchable by my usual standards, but for some awesome reason they've chosen an angle that makes this work. Kind of reminds me of the 90's era of anime comedy where it was just random and funy and before it started to feel routine.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 19:45   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'd also call this a slice of life long before I would Sora No Woto, but then again I have an entirely different definition for the term then most people seem to.
Dhurarara!! I'd say is a drama [or would-be drama] which is to say its a slice of life but can't be called one, and while it has a story the emotional bits are what you should be concerned with. Heh, honestly I think we are in the era of "nobody really knows what Tv genre's are anymore". Sora no Woto and similar shows are imo closest to what can be called a modern animated soap opera, modern, given the more neutral less cliche dramatic tone -- and like drama its "a flavor of slice of life". But well, this is one of those things I feel everyone else will disagree with me given there apparently some stigma/complex to watching things called that (lol).

Regarding the rest of what you said, honestly find your comments to be on the borderline to mindless trolling a lot of the time in episode threads, but given your comments just now, could it be you instinctively just hate shows with girls and like shows with guys?
Old 2010-01-22, 20:33   Link #20
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Incidentally he posts articles on the best 10 loli's of the year in his blog. Brownie points if they are the embodiment of evil.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote