AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 35 22.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.42%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.29%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-17, 05:49   Link #41
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Meh...

First episode was awkward but surprising, second episode was below average entertainment, third just left me scratching my head. Well at least the anime has some very good music and nice animations.

Hopefully in the fifth episode it'll all actually start making sense.
Old 2010-04-17, 05:59   Link #42
Roardel

Probably this series confuse us because most of the rules of this world and background of the characters are hidden. When they will be revealed, it will get more and more attractive.
There are some hints. Yuri and Iwasawa has painful pasts. They (Shinde Tamaruka Sensen) must fight against the order or they will vanish. Tenshi is keeping the world's order and she is not given the power from the God.
Old 2010-04-17, 06:23   Link #43
farios

Somehow i doubt that this anime gonna have a Deus Ex Machina happy ending like Clannad or Kanon, maybe in the end Yuri will finds peace just like Iwasawa

In the other hand i haven't find Yui as an interesting character her first introduction left me the "annoying" impression, maybe in the next episode..
Old 2010-04-17, 06:27   Link #44
Water
イデアがない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
Somehow i doubt that this anime gonna have a Deus Ex Machina happy ending like Clannad or Kanon, maybe in the end Yuri will finds peace just like Iwasawa

In the other hand i haven't find Yui as an interesting character her first introduction left me the "annoying" impression, maybe in the next episode..
Well, from the list of characters and their VAs in the ED sequence, it seems that Yui will be one of the main characters in addition to the Otonashi-Yuri-Tenshi Trio.
Old 2010-04-17, 06:28   Link #45
RedWing

Was unimpressed by this episode to be honest. Boo hoo hoo life is unfair, cry cry moan moan. Not a fan of the singing, but can appreciate it. I felt that Yurasawa's past was worse than what we've seen of Yurippe's. Yurippe was a single bad event, that a bit of therapy could get over, whereas Yurasawa had a long time of neglect and abuse leading to he death just when she was getting on her feet.

The big reveal was a bit shocking but I got a completely different idea of the meaning of Angel getting her own powers, I thought it meant that SSS would be able to get their own powers. If not then how does it prove the absence of God? Angel is clearly different, and better than them, and if they are not able to get to her ability then someone must've made her with that potential, no?
Old 2010-04-17, 06:47   Link #46
Kristen
*Author

I was surprised. I know Clannad had that amazing first episode, and I was really looking forward to episode 2 and got really disappointed.

Angel Beats, on the other hand, had a mildly entertaining episode 1, and a good episode 2 (Where I really got in it). So I was expecting I'd be disappointed with this episode, but it was surprisingly really really good.

And it leads to what I was suspecting from past episodes - that the main focal point of this plot is going to be everyone disappearing from this world. I mean, it's Key's trademark, right? Once you truly know somebody, you're separated from them.

Overall, 10.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:25   Link #47
descent87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Fascinating.

I don't remember when the last time I went from "hmm... what the heck is this about?" after ep2 to "aaah, so THAT'S how it is" in ep3 so much. But there have been several big-deal revelations in this last ep, and I feel like making several predictions even up to the final climax and ending. How's that for hubris?

What this afterlife is about: Obviously, it is about people who carry over some major grudge or unresolved issue like an unfulfilled wish. As long as you haven't dealt with this, you cannot pass on.

Is "being erased" a bad thing? No. It's rather the opposite, it means that you have finally resolved your issue, and you can finally "pass on". How do we know? Because we saw it happen with Iwasawa. And she went out and disappeared in her moment of completion and happiness. She finally found what she was looking for. She was finally able to sing the song she always wanted and even Yuri denied her in the beginning. It was no sad death, it was a _happy passing_.

How does Angel fit into this? This is the twist I liked the most. I'm pretty sure that Angel doesn't "work for god". She is just like Yuri and the others. Obviously she was Seitokaichou in her former life, and she feels that she failed. She's in this afterlife to atone, just like Yuri is in this afterlife to rebel and exact revenge. Evidence for it: Yuri's revelation that Angel is progressing just like she and her band of merrymen are.

But what about Yuri's earlier explanations? Yuri is wrong. This is the story she made up for herself, to live out her rebel+revenge issue. However, Angel's issue (keep a school safe as Seitokaichou) is diametrally opposed to Yuri (incite a revolution). Therefore they will have quickly crashed head-on, and the charismatic Yuri will have won followers where the very uncommunicative and introverted Angel could not. Which led to the situation on hand. The only one who seems to realize parts of it so far is...

What's the role of Otonashi? He will become the _mediator_ between Yuri and Angel. He was livid when they broke into Angel's apartment. He's also very curious about her and wants to know more. The upcoming triangle will be Yuri - Otonashi - Angel. All other characters are essentially irrelevant. And the role of Otonashi will be to somehow settle the issues between the two extremes of order (Angel) and rebellion (Yuri).

How will this story progress? Otonashi will learn more about both Angel and Yuri and be torn over it. I could even imagining a developing romance between them, in a true triangle fashion. He will manage to begin some form of relationship to Angel, and he'll also grow closer to Yuri while having his relationship increasingly strained with Yuri's henchmen, particularly when he continues to defend Angel.

And the ending? Otonashi will lose both Angel and Yuri by helping both of them pass on. It's his fate to reconcile both extremes with each other and helping them to leave this afterworld. However, in true key fashion, the ending will be very bittersweet: By doing so, he will also lose both girls he'll fall in love with. Unless, of course, they go for a cop-out ending of waking up out of the coma

What remains to be seen is how the "memory loss" aspect will play into this. I wouldn't even be surprised if in the end, Otonashi was the only "artificial" construct in the afterlife, created to resolve the Angel-Yuri battle. Or there's some more story on the meta-level, and the three of them somehow had dealings with each other in their former lives. Let's see.

In any case, my opinion on Angel Beats increased significantly after ep3. Let's bring it on.

ROFL, Honestly Mentar even if it doesn't turn out that, I like your story better haha.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:29   Link #48
farios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
I was surprised. I know Clannad had that amazing first episode, and I was really looking forward to episode 2 and got really disappointed.

Angel Beats, on the other hand, had a mildly entertaining episode 1, and a good episode 2 (Where I really got in it). So I was expecting I'd be disappointed with this episode, but it was surprisingly really really good.

And it leads to what I was suspecting from past episodes - that the main focal point of this plot is going to be everyone disappearing from this world. I mean, it's Key's trademark, right? Once you truly know somebody, you're separated from them.

Overall, 10.
Considering that Iwasawa is missing on this episode ED, maybe in each(or at least most) episode will focus on one character accepting their fate and past, then disappears eventually leaving Yuri all alone, then the final episode will be Yuri's turn.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:32   Link #49
ZODDGUTS

Eh can't say I was impress with this ep. I'm starting to see the negative effects of this being a 13 ep series instead of a 24/26 ep series. There wasn't hardly any development Yurasawa character expect for this ep which made me unattached to her character. Yeah I know I'm suppose to feel bad for her but I didn't because we didn't get to see much of her and know her well. Same thing happen with Yuri's past in the last ep which didn't affect me because I wasn't attached to her character. Not to say this ep was bad but it wasn't great either, this and last ep would have been more effective if it aired a few eps later on when we have gotten to know the characters better. Shame this is only an 13 ep series.

Quote:
Kanon's ending was fine but Clannad's ending made me facepalm myself ugh.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:37   Link #50
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
Considering that Iwasawa is missing on this episode ED, maybe in each(or at least most) episode will focus on one character accepting their fate and past, then disappears eventually leaving Yuri all alone, then the final episode will be Yuri's turn.
I could believe that if their were more episodes. But there are 15 characters in the ED.

I have a feeling Iwasawa was meant to show exactly how a character disappears, and the aftermath of it. I think there probably won't be any more disappearances for a few episodes, until where I think it's going to go into a major plot of characters starting to disappear quicker and quicker, regardless of what they try to do to stop it.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:44   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Personally I don't think that it would require everyone disappearing for an ending. Being a Key story they will definitely try and give closure to everyone's individual tales but you can find closure for everyone not necessarily requiring them to have their "day of disappearance", so to speak.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:46   Link #52
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Fascinating.

I don't remember when the last time I went from "hmm... what the heck is this about?" after ep2 to "aaah, so THAT'S how it is" in ep3 so much. But there have been several big-deal revelations in this last ep, and I feel like making several predictions even up to the final climax and ending. How's that for hubris?

What this afterlife is about: Obviously, it is about people who carry over some major grudge or unresolved issue like an unfulfilled wish. As long as you haven't dealt with this, you cannot pass on.

Is "being erased" a bad thing? No. It's rather the opposite, it means that you have finally resolved your issue, and you can finally "pass on". How do we know? Because we saw it happen with Iwasawa. And she went out and disappeared in her moment of completion and happiness. She finally found what she was looking for. She was finally able to sing the song she always wanted and even Yuri denied her in the beginning. It was no sad death, it was a _happy passing_.

How does Angel fit into this? This is the twist I liked the most. I'm pretty sure that Angel doesn't "work for god". She is just like Yuri and the others. Obviously she was Seitokaichou in her former life, and she feels that she failed. She's in this afterlife to atone, just like Yuri is in this afterlife to rebel and exact revenge. Evidence for it: Yuri's revelation that Angel is progressing just like she and her band of merrymen are.

But what about Yuri's earlier explanations? Yuri is wrong. This is the story she made up for herself, to live out her rebel+revenge issue. However, Angel's issue (keep a school safe as Seitokaichou) is diametrally opposed to Yuri (incite a revolution). Therefore they will have quickly crashed head-on, and the charismatic Yuri will have won followers where the very uncommunicative and introverted Angel could not. Which led to the situation on hand. The only one who seems to realize parts of it so far is...

What's the role of Otonashi? He will become the _mediator_ between Yuri and Angel. He was livid when they broke into Angel's apartment. He's also very curious about her and wants to know more. The upcoming triangle will be Yuri - Otonashi - Angel. All other characters are essentially irrelevant. And the role of Otonashi will be to somehow settle the issues between the two extremes of order (Angel) and rebellion (Yuri).

How will this story progress? Otonashi will learn more about both Angel and Yuri and be torn over it. I could even imagining a developing romance between them, in a true triangle fashion. He will manage to begin some form of relationship to Angel, and he'll also grow closer to Yuri while having his relationship increasingly strained with Yuri's henchmen, particularly when he continues to defend Angel.

And the ending? Otonashi will lose both Angel and Yuri by helping both of them pass on. It's his fate to reconcile both extremes with each other and helping them to leave this afterworld. However, in true key fashion, the ending will be very bittersweet: By doing so, he will also lose both girls he'll fall in love with. Unless, of course, they go for a cop-out ending of waking up out of the coma

What remains to be seen is how the "memory loss" aspect will play into this. I wouldn't even be surprised if in the end, Otonashi was the only "artificial" construct in the afterlife, created to resolve the Angel-Yuri battle. Or there's some more story on the meta-level, and the three of them somehow had dealings with each other in their former lives. Let's see.

In any case, my opinion on Angel Beats increased significantly after ep3. Let's bring it on.
Well thought out, especially the memory loss = artificial person thing. I was thinking it means he is the Angel, not Tenshi. Send by god to sort this mess out, but without memory so he cant spill all of god's secrets if he gets corrupted by the powers of short skirts. *g*

But i'll join the "no one is dead" theory. They can go back to their former lifes. If they accept that life isn't a pony farm.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:48   Link #53
D-Gold
Aurum

One of the things I wondered about when Yuri said that tenshi gets her powers like the guild makes their weapons is does that mean everyone (beside the NCP's) have this ability to create inhuman powers?

I then began to recall in episode 2 that it was said you could only make weapons if you remembered it when you were alive*or something along those lines*,but that plays in with the everything Yuri and the gang says is truth which I still think is not the case.
Old 2010-04-17, 07:59   Link #54
farios

Well, one thing for sure Iwasawa won't be the only one that is going to disappear
Old 2010-04-17, 08:20   Link #55
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Sekine (yellow hair) and Irie (blue hair) will probably disappear together. They seem to be close friends, judging by the ED, and i deduct that they "died" together, too. Maybe yuri is involved (no, not the yuri with the dark red hair...)
Old 2010-04-17, 08:52   Link #56
Wrath88
Kissing...

Well, the episode today explains why Tenshi has to speak her command for her guard skills. Not because she's a program, but because her powers are made using a program. The revelation would be really shocking to the group, if Yuri hadn't said it.

New disappearance condition: Self-discovery that leads to satisfaction.
The difference between this and living a normal student life like Tenshi says, what is it?
Could the cause be something like losing your dissatisfaction with your existence? Or is it acceptance of yourself?
Next, if Tenshi is of the same existence as the SSS people, why isn't she moving on? Given the above, what disappearance condition is she not meeting?
Repeat system:
1. We know Tenshi vs SSS have been going on for a LONG time.
2. NPCs have shown some sense of time, as seen in the teachers etc. They even mention a cultural festival. (Clock function enabled, but multitasking isn't? )
3. Yet no one mentions that Yuri and Tenshi have been around for a LONG time.
4. Conclusion: Sometime along the way, there is either a reset of memories (probably per school year) or ignoring of facts.

Nice trip move by Yusa, that is what I call serious humour like in the latest Bakuman chapter. Next episode, who wants to bet its baseball?

The music for this series is worth buying, lol.
Old 2010-04-17, 09:17   Link #57
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Any soundtrack from a Key production is worth buying.
Old 2010-04-17, 09:36   Link #58
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Amazing episode, and man Iwasawa didn't have a very easy life either, and was honestly pretty sad to see her disappear already. I agree with others I think it will be a few more episodes before we see it happen again.

The fact that Angel's abilities are self made was rather shocking and interesting, and I wonder what plans Yuri has made for a worst case scenario like this since I am sure she's worked on plan on some level for most possible outcomes of this.

Also Yui character was great I really hope to see more of her, she reminds of Mayoi though more cute, less violent, and more like-able as well despite being completely different VA, maybe it's just the way Kamiya does Otanashi around her making me feel this way about it xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Any soundtrack from a Key production is worth buying.
So true, think already found anime with best soundtrack this year in most cases too.
MAL
Old 2010-04-17, 09:53   Link #59
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, this episode tends to support my theory that Angel and Yuri are actually in the same type of situation.

Angel also "rebelled" against whatever there was before she got there, and is trying to create her own order and society that fulfills whatever her mysterious goals are. She succeeds (at least partially).

Then Yuri comes along and "rebels" against Angel's organization and is now creating her own organization that is trying to write it's own story and order.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-17, 10:05   Link #60
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Definitely the best episode yet. It definitely gets better and better. Key definitely ran to their best weapon in this episode.... Music.

I also agree on what mentar's thoughts are regarding the issues in the series. The vocalist passed on because she accomplished what she wanted to do in her life. I'm imagining that Yuri and Tenshi would be the last people to pass on, and Yuri would pass on because she thought that she fulfilled saving her special persons (in this case, her comrades or maybe Otonashi)