AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 21:30   Link #1
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Light Novel Discussion

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (She Has Chuunibyou, But I Want to Love Her!, 中二病でも恋がしたい!) is one of the light novels released by Kyoto Animation under their KA Esuma label. The series is written by Torako and illustrated by Nozomi Ousaka. The original manuscript won an honorable mention in the first Kyoto Animation awards in 2009 and had two novels published in 2011. The series is the first from the Esuma label to be animated by KyoAni.

Characters:

Yuuta Togashi (富樫勇太): A first year high schooler who once suffered from chuunibyou. He overcame his illness as he was studying for high school entrance exams and has "moved on" from chuunibyou. Or so he thought. One day he discovers that he has made a contract with Rikka Takanashi.

Rikka Takanashi (小鳥遊六花): A first year high schooler who is suffering from chuunibyou. Rumor has it that she changed overnight when she was in middle school. She informs Yuuta one day that they have made a contract.

Makato Isshiki (一色誠):Yuuta and Rikka's classmate. As determined as the kanji in his name. Member of the disciplinary council of the school. His number 1 trait: he loves girls. Just check his memo pad to see how much.

Shinka Nibutani (丹生谷森夏): The class representative for Yuuta, Rikka, and Makoto's class. Nicknamed the "Class King" by the guys. Has a build like a model. Rumored to have a sadistic smile.

Yumeha Togashi (富樫夢葉) and Pepapi (ぺぱぴ): Yuuta's younger sister and family dog. Yumeha is a 5th year in elementary school. Pepopi is a Golden Retriever.

Satone Shichimiya (七宮智音): Yuuta's middle school classmate. Apparently, she was the only one to understand him during his chuunibyou phase.

Not Pictured:
Kazari Kannagi (巫部風鈴): A classmate of Yuuta et al. Rumored to hate being called"Windchime" (how her given name is written)
Nanase Tsukumo (九十九七瀬): The homeroom and math teacher for Yuuta's class. The boys call her "Nana-chan."
Novels:

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Published on June 6, 2011
ISBN: 978-4-9905812-0-6
Yuuta Togashi is living an ordinary high school life. He has good friends, good grades, and no one knows about his dark history. One day he discovers that he is in a contract with Rikka Takanashi, an infected chuunibyou patient. How will the two co-exist?!

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! 2
Published on December 28, 2011
ISBN: 978-4-9905812-2-0
Yuuta Togashi and Rikka Takanashi are still bound by a contract when, suddenly, an old classmate of Yuuta's appears before them. How will Rikka react when she's encountered with a chuunibyou girl from Yuuta's past?!

This thread was originally created so that discussion of novel-related topics that would spoil anything in the anime could take place. Any topic that has yet to be animated should be discussed in this thread and not any that are in anime-specific threads. It has been confirmed that the first novel will serve as a base for the anime adaptation, so discussion of the second novel (and the new character) should take place here instead of the anime thread(s) at this time.

As of right now, neither of the two novels have been translated into English though fan-translations appear to be in progress. Translations will not be posted directly in this thread, though it will be easy to google them.

To start things off, I'll answer any questions about the series (impressions, style, etc) that I can answer. I don't want to reveal too much to entice people to read the novels for themselves. I've read up to half-way through the second novel, and personally, I feel the second novel is much better written. It's more cohesive and flows immensely better between chapters than the first novel. The first one has a decent overall story, but there's a lot of weird connections between chapters and it doesn't flow that well. It also doesn't help that it's not written well either.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-12-06 at 07:14.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 21:31   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Looks interesting, I'm going to have a look.
Old 2012-07-29, 21:36   Link #3
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Looks interesting, I'm going to have a look.
Not mod-approved, but given past conversations, I feel it's alright for me to post a preview. It's the prologue for the first novel. I laughed a lot when I first read it myself.

Old 2012-07-30, 03:43   Link #4
Warm Mist

So when should we expect your release of the translated first novel? I just want to know if it's going to be before the anime airs, no need for specific dates.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 06:17   Link #5
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
So when should we expect your release of the translated first novel? I just want to know if it's going to be before the anime airs, no need for specific dates.
I'm aiming to get both novels finished by the time the anime broadcasts. The first novel is in editing right now and the second one is halfway translated with 2 months before the show starts. I think that's a safe estimate.

Edit: I just added two characters without character art to the first post. There's a lot of rumors in the first chapter and a lot of name-gags, so prepare yourself. I like Kannagi's "nickname" the best though. Cleverly used. Honestly, she's my favorite character and it upsets me we've not seen her anime design yet.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-07-30 at 08:03.
Old 2012-08-12, 18:44   Link #6
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
So I gather that Yuuta actually play along with Rikka from time to time? Thus what we saw of his Chuunibyou in the PV are not all his past? (Hopefully the answer to that question is not a spoiler.)
This was asked in the anime thread, but I want to answer it here. Yuuta sealed away his chuunibyou when he was near the end of middle school and hid his past from his new classmates. Does that mean he doesn't get urges when Rikka's playing along? It'd be unrealistic if he didn't. That was a big part of him in middle school and to expect him to turn it around in under a year? It won't happen.

As for whether or not he acts on those urges, I won't say as to not get hopes up only to be dashed if he doesn't or to spoil it if he does.

And since I'm posting in here, I'll comment that both novels have been translated. I hope to find an editor who's native language is English to proofread the first novel while I revise the second novel. With luck, both novels should be available publicly soon. (New avatar is Shichimiya, my favorite character from the series. Nyahahaha, I won't lose to anyone!)

Old 2012-08-12, 19:25   Link #7
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
This was asked in the anime thread, but I want to answer it here. Yuuta sealed away his chuunibyou when he was near the end of middle school and hid his past from his new classmates. Does that mean he doesn't get urges when Rikka's playing along? It'd be unrealistic if he didn't. That was a big part of him in middle school and to expect him to turn it around in under a year? It won't happen.

As for whether or not he acts on those urges, I won't say as to not get hopes up only to be dashed if he doesn't or to spoil it if he does.

And since I'm posting in here, I'll comment that both novels have been translated. I hope to find an editor who's native language is English to proofread the first novel while I revise the second novel. With luck, both novels should be available publicly soon. (New avatar is Shichimiya, my favorite character from the series. Nyahahaha, I won't lose to anyone!)
Thanks for your answer (as vague as it is ). And I really looking forward to the translation. Too bad I'm far from being good at English. Hope you find someone soon.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 05:00   Link #8
suntaclaus

Is Satone suffering from chuunibyou?

Last edited by suntaclaus; 2012-08-27 at 05:37. Reason: Grammar mistake
suntaclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 11:01   Link #9
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Best of luck finding compitent editor. I'm looking forward to reading the novel as well after finishing the anime. Personally, I also happen to have taken interest in Satone's character. I love love-rival girl character in romcom because it helps in pushing main heroine to get more aggressive on the main guy. I also like her atire, it really made her standout especially the long scarf which made her look like she had four dangling arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntaclaus View Post
Is Satone suffering from chuunibyou?
Chuunibyou anime thread opening post should answer your question.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=109231

You see the ANN article? Appearently, they've taken sypnosis from novel vol. 2 as description which is a "spoiler by mistake" since it was reveiled later anime adaptation will only cover vol. 1.

As for the streight answer, it's a big YES.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 11:53   Link #10
suntaclaus

teja208, thank you for answer.
suntaclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 13:22   Link #11
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Best of luck finding compitent editor. I'm looking forward to reading the novel as well after finishing the anime. Personally, I also happen to have taken interest in Satone's character. I love love-rival girl character in romcom because it helps in pushing main heroine to get more aggressive on the main guy. I also like her atire, it really made her standout especially the long scarf which made her look like she had four dangling arms.
Thanks for your wishes. It's been surprisingly difficult to find someone willing to assist. People love to point out typos and grammatical mistakes, but hardly anyone wants to help when asked. I've got someone working on novel 1 now.

I...have a confession to make. (oops, went into Yuuta mode) Shichimiya is by far my favorite character in the franchise. That's not to say Rikka isn't awesome as well (she really shines in novel 1) but Shichimiya really amazed me in novel 2. I did my best to convey just how wonderful she was. Also, you can't forget the Twin Curls hairstyle:

On an related note, novel 2 has finished revision (terms tend to change throughout the novel, re-wording things that slipped through), and just needs to be edited by someone else. I can't wait to read what everyone thinks about the story.

Old 2012-08-29, 11:03   Link #12
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Thanks for your wishes. It's been surprisingly difficult to find someone willing to assist. People love to point out typos and grammatical mistakes, but hardly anyone wants to help when asked. I've got someone working on novel 1 now.
Actually, I would like to help out myself, but by doing so, I will be spoiling myself by the time anime comes out and I've no intention of doing that. Since I have faith in Kyoani's adaptation, I would like to watch the anime first before reading the novel. so who knows, maybe you should try waiting until anime finish airing. If anime is well recieved, then there will probabily be more people willing to help you with your edit.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 08:51   Link #13
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

So I've read approximately half of the first novel (with no plans to continue) and would like to share some thoughts. There are no spoilers, but I hope I can clear some clouds surrounding this mysterious novel and how it relates to the anime.

Spoiler for Text:
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 16:20   Link #14
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Hey, may I ask what the hell is "Chuunibyou"?
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 17:13   Link #15
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Hey, may I ask what the hell is "Chuunibyou"?
I'll just quote the novel:
Quote:
Chuunibyou, which affects people while they go through puberty, isn't something that affects people physically or emotionally. No, it’s a much more pathetic disease. It's the kind that makes people see evil all around them, even when they're in public, and I don't mean something as simple as being in a rebellious phase. For example, someone might think so highly of themselves that they feel possessed of some kind of unique, mysterious power.
Basically, it's people who imagine they have some type of mystical power awakened in them. They're the kind of kids who play superheros, but never grew out of that phase. It's not just in private; these types of people act this way all the time. They truly believe they have powers.

Old 2012-09-20, 00:58   Link #16
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

^^ Thanks! ^^

It sounds quite similar to Sorairo... (I forgot the full name).
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 09:12   Link #17
YuzurihaAsuna

I just wanna ask.. I saw this thread and I saw it was tag as romance... Where is the romance? is it between Rikka and Yuuta?
YuzurihaAsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 13:56   Link #18
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuzurihaAsuna View Post
I just wanna ask.. I saw this thread and I saw it was tag as romance... Where is the romance? is it between Rikka and Yuuta?
In very simple terms, yes. This is why I titled it She Has Chuunibyou, But I Want to Love Her! in my translation.

Old 2012-10-07, 16:55   Link #19
ghost013

In the anime, there were two other girls featured in the opening other than Rikka Takanashi and Shinka Nibutani. Are they anime original? And I don't remember Satone Shichimiya appearing anywhere also.
ghost013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 19:34   Link #20
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost013 View Post
In the anime, there were two other girls featured in the opening other than Rikka Takanashi and Shinka Nibutani. Are they anime original? And I don't remember Satone Shichimiya appearing anywhere also.
Yes, Kumin Tsuyuri and Sanae Dekomori are anime-original characters as is Toka Takanashi (Rikka's older sister). Satone Shichimiya appears in the second novel, so she's incredibly unlikely to appear in the anime as they're only using the first novel as a base.

Tags
chuunibyou, comedy, kyoani, romance