AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-26, 02:02   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 586 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, the spoiler pics are out, and the flashback saga continues! Here's what's known so far:

-Chapter title is "City of foul stench". The splash page features Hina and Smoker.

-Captain Bluejam's crew is about to burn up the trash mountain. Luffy and Ace find out about their insidious plot, and the captain orders his men to restrain them. Before setting the fire, he asks the boys about the treasure they hoarded during their misadventures. His crew then proceeds to set the trash mountain ablaze......

-It turns out that the king of Goa had hired Bluejam to destroy the trash mountain in order make him into a noble. However, when his crew arrive at the gates to the rich part of town, the royal army doesn't let them pass. It turns out the king has backed out on their deal and has left Bluejam to his grim fate, which causes him to curse the king's name......

-Luffy and Ace are struggling to survive the inferno. As this goes on, the trash mountain citizens also realize that the fire was Bluejam's doing, and come to the conclusion that he committed such a heinous act in order to prevent the World government's inspectors from setting foot in that area. Meanwhile, Sabo is shouting for Ace and Luffy to run away from the flames. A man arrives and asks him what's going on, to which Sabo tells him that the king and nobles are the ones responsible for the fire. He then says that he'll never be free as long as he remains in the Goa kingdom, and that he's ashamed to be born into such a corrupt bloodline. The man says he can understand Sabo's pain, as he too was born in the Goa kingdom. However, he currently lacks the power to change the nation's ways. It turns out that the man Sabo was talking to was none other than Monkey D. Dragon, and his travelling companion is the former Okama King, Ivankov....!!!

Wow, what a chapter. Stuff like this is the reason why I love this series so much in the first place! Once again, the "higher" class proves that they're no better than the criminal scum that they do business with. And we also get a little insight as to what motivated Dragon to become such a notorious rebel in the first place. And hey, if Sabo ran into him, then this raises the chance that he survived this flashback after all, eh? Man, now I REALLY can't wait for the full chapter to come out....
Old 2010-05-26, 02:07   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

As I mentioned in the thread in AP, this is also the first time we see the "inner dialogs" of Dragon.
And it suggests Dragon is infact, genuinely concerned man about the corruption of the world.

This removed a layer of mystery from the man, I think.
I'm glad to see he is a good man afterall.

Oh, and fangasm at Hina and Smoker dating. And she's in such a hot outfit too!
This couple reminds me of Stein & Marie from Soul Eater for some reason.
Old 2010-05-26, 02:12   Link #3
marvelB

^I always kinda figured that Dragon would never be Luffy's enemy, anyway. I mean, Luffy's already buddy-buddy with Iva anyway, right?

BTW, a pic of the volume 58 cover is out, and it's looking mighty badass:

Spoiler:

Sengoku, Garp, AND all 3 admirals? Excuse me as I go change my pants.
Old 2010-05-26, 02:16   Link #4
Blaine

They way Sabo was talking with Dragon, I wonder if he became a revolotionary.
Old 2010-05-26, 02:22   Link #5
marvelB

^Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus, but it's still not 100% guaranteed. As much as I'd like to see him as a badass rebel in the present time, there's still the possibility that he could get himself burned to ashes in order to save his brothers in the flashback.....
Old 2010-05-26, 02:31   Link #6
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Just look at what Dragon told him. "He said he lacked the power to change the world."

This means... he's just as likely to go Kururugi Suzaku or Lelouch Lamperouge(in R2), embrace his noble heritage, and join the World Government in order to change it from within. Maybe he rejoins his parents, works for the Gorousei, and spies on them for Dragon or intends to kill them off eventually and take over?

I'm telling you. It seems like it's all pointing in that direction. He has a falling out with his brothers who want to confront the government. Sabo may change his goals to conquering it from within.

Sabo of the Rebellion... hmmm.
Old 2010-05-26, 04:35   Link #7
seiji_kun

I'd find that one hell of a twist if Sabo would leave with Dragon and give up wanting to become a captain and writing his book of his adventures rather then rejoining his brothers.

It's nice to see Dragon again but I don't find that ups Sabo's chance on surviving, I don't think Dragon would take him with him, he isn't a babysitter and if he could or wanted to have a kid around I'm sure he would've kept Luffy close to him. And he doesn't even know he's talking to a revolutionist so I don't know why he'd suddenly would change his mind and ask to join Dragon.

If anything, I think his chances of dieing went up. Bluejam will deal out some retribution bye killing Sabo cause his father sold him out. His father wanted Sabo back, well Bluejam will give him back in a body bag.
Old 2010-05-26, 05:39   Link #8
andy

seem like were going to find out some info about dragon in this flash back .
Vol 58 cover looks awesome
Old 2010-05-26, 08:00   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

You know, something tells me that Dragon is not exactly a saint. Right now, he may seem like a person with good intentions by trying to change the corrupt ways of the Goa Kingdom, but I think there's much more to what meets the eye. He eventually does acquire enough power (and it continues to grow for that matter) to start taking over multiple nations. Is monopolizing everything under one's name the best way to go about making the world a better place? Dragon possessing a power of this magnitude would most likely lead him towards a path of greed and corruption, which would be ironic. To enforce his authority, he may even force people, if necessary, to conform to what he believes in, and this may not always be a good thing. I'm beginning to feel that the WG has labeled Dragon as the "World's Most Wanted Man" for reasons (good ones, at that) outside of their self interest.
Old 2010-05-26, 08:54   Link #10
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You know, something tells me that Dragon is not exactly a saint. Right now, he may seem like a person with good intentions by trying to change the corrupt ways of the Goa Kingdom, but I think there's much more to what meets the eye. He eventually does acquire enough power (and it continues to grow for that matter) to start taking over multiple nations. Is monopolizing everything under one's name the best way to go about making the world a better place? Dragon possessing a power of this magnitude would most likely lead him towards a path of greed and corruption, which would be ironic. To enforce his authority, he may even force people, if necessary, to conform to what he believes in, and this may not always be a good thing. I'm beginning to feel that the WG has labeled Dragon as the "World's Most Wanted Man" for reasons (good ones, at that) outside of their self interest.
I don't know, Ivankov seems like a nice guy (errmmm or whatever it is) to me, so, Dragon could be the antithesis of the WG. But, I think Dragon character design makes him hard to pass off as a Good guy, reason why people could not think of him as a do gooder.

Either way, Its seems more likely that Sabo went his way to become a revolutionary alongside Sabo, it would be even a greater surprise for Ivankov that Luffy is also Brother of one of the Revolutionaries top man
Old 2010-05-26, 09:11   Link #11
james0246

^It seems Dragon's "evil" appearance is resulted from the fact that he is a Goa noble (or he was at least born in the privileged area) .
Old 2010-05-26, 09:15   Link #12
Hikaru_SonicX

Location: I live in Germany at Koloen but i was born in Persia !
I like that chapter cuz i think its pretty cool and it was in my opinion very interesting ^^ !!
Old 2010-05-26, 10:30   Link #13
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Good mornin'.

ohana's spoiler trans added at the usual place.
Old 2010-05-26, 10:35   Link #14
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^It seems Dragon's "evil" appearance is resulted from the fact that he is a Goa noble (or he was at least born in the privileged area) .
I am not sure where it was mentioned that Dragon was born into noble house, because if that would be true then I think that its because Dragons mother (Garps 'wife') was a noble. I dont think Garp has noble origins but its possibility.

Well chapter will be out most likely just in few hours.
Old 2010-05-26, 11:30   Link #15
Paraden1989

i don't know how i feel how the flow of this story is being put together. don't get me wrong, but i think Oda just throw a bunch of stuff together. i do like how Dragon appears, but the fact that Ivanko was with him , i think, it is a bit much. i'm just saying that i could understand dragon being at Goa.

I don't think this would happen, but this could be a funny thought. When one of the American Shonen Jump issues came out this past few months, Oda answered a few fan questions. one of them was what Luffy's mother looked like. Oda said that she would be ugly and a strong woman. i just think it would be funny if Luffy's mother was Ivanko. i know this would go against the flashback that Ivanko had back during Impel Down though. i just thought it could be food for thought.
Old 2010-05-26, 11:52   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, I certainly didn't expect Dragon to show up here. Since he says he doesn't have the power to change this nation yet, another reason for his presence here might be that Tenryuubito we heard about. And I guess we'll get to see him display his powers a bit, seeing how there's a fire to put out...
Old 2010-05-26, 12:36   Link #17
Rainbowman

My review:

Bluejam has been betrayed, and Sabo is seen talking with Monkey D. Dragon who grew up in the Goa Kingdom. Monkey D. Dragon is definitely the One Piece equivilent of WATCHMEN's Ozymandias.
Old 2010-05-26, 12:57   Link #18
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

So so so, another look into the past, and this time Dragon's in it!
If it turns our that dragon is nobility (and therefor Garp and Luffy), that would be awesome! The plot could get so much better, just think about it. When Luffy is in a fight with a noble, there's a flashback to a time when Dragon was doing the same. The reason he is the most wanted man is because he went against all other nobles (because he actually has a conscience) and started reforming everywhere. We know why he is the worlds most wanted man (not because he was some nobody that started revolutions), because he was a noble that directly opposed the system!

If this ever becomes true, Dragon is the treasure trove for answers about.. anything.

Also, it is not overkill at all the Ivankov is with him. He was Dragon's right hand man and has been seen talking with him before, how is this overkill?
Old 2010-05-26, 13:15   Link #19
marvelB

LOL, Sabo's noble brother looks kinda looks like Duval!

Anyway, Dragon's line about currently being unable to change the country suggests to me that the Goa nobles probably won't get their comeuppance in this flashback, unless Bluejam somehow survives the fire and gets his revenge on the king and Sabo's parents. I guess there's also the chance that the World Nobles (who still haven't arrived yet) may catch on to the king's plot and punish him for it (hey, that trash mountain may have been a valuable resource for sturdy slaves! ). Either way, it'll definitely be interesting to see how this flashback will wrap up......
Old 2010-05-26, 14:53   Link #20
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Look at Garp's goal for his grandchild. He seems to have the mentality of a noble. He has a plan for Luffy's life and threw him into the seedy part of the world for training so he would become as tough as him.

Garp seems to have authority beyond that of his naval rank, too. He flaunts his influence on Dadan. Besides, he's a firm protector of the system. He's a heroic and decorated marine, to prove it.

He may be one of those nobles that believe that their heritage requires them to develop military prowess like their ancestors. Like someone coming from a samurai bloodline believing they need to keep bushido alive and keep the tradition of the sword from dying out.

Dragon's design make him look cunning and fierce. It may also hint that he's a cutthroat, like he'll do anything to win for the greater good.
Closed Thread