AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 10:36   Link #61
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I am deeply touched that Yoshimine no Munesada is willing to forgo his feelings for her and allow her to pursue what she wants instead. Sure, he doesn't have high hopes of her succeeding in that era, but he supports her in the end. A gentleman indeed. I read his biography after watching this episode to find out why he became a monk.

There are similarities between Ono no Komachi and Shuurei, but Shuurei strikes me as the more mature of the two. Shuurei's idealism stems from the desire to work and contribute to the country as an official, while Ono no Komachi's idealism stems from the desire to be recognized. Ono no Komachi is also much more "sheltered" than Shuurei who has quite a tough childhood.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-07-17 at 10:56.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 11:05   Link #62
Bern-san

Liked the episode, was interesting than the other 2 due to the conflict of interests.

I noticed too the similarity between Shuurei and Ono no Komachi, wanting to leave aside love until they succeed in their dreams even if they are women.
MUAHAHAHA also said about Shuurei being more mature. Ono no Komachi's dream seems more "childish" in that way if you compare with Shuurei.

BTW the poem that she recited during her childhood was the one which is always said at the start of the karuta games?
Old 2012-07-17, 13:00   Link #63
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Ep3. This is the first episode to really fulfill the promise of the series for me. Tears came to my eyes when I realized at the end who she was. Credit to the wonderful voices of Endou Aya (who is a goddess) and Uchida Yuya.

I've been rereading the Tale of Genji recently, so maybe I'm keyed in to the lives and feelings of people in the Heian world. The Waley translation is outstanding prose.
Wait.. are we supposed to know who she is based on the previous two episodes? I don't recall her name.
Old 2012-07-17, 13:06   Link #64
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
Wait.. are we supposed to know who she is based on the previous two episodes? I don't recall her name.
The final line of the episode identifies the character as Ono no Komachi, one of the 6 great Waka poets of the early Heian period. Hers is a name that many Japanese viewers would recognize. (But if you're like me and didn't know who she was, a quick trip to her Wikipedia page will fill in some of the blanks.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 15:34   Link #65
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As well as being a great poet, Ono no Komachi was known as a great beauty, and as having many affairs and treating men badly. The word "komachi" in Japanese came to mean a beautiful woman. But she supposedly ended her days as an poor and ugly old crone, living alone in a shack. There is a Noh play about this.

Her passionate nature is revealed in this poem:

This moonless night,
There is no way he can come to me.
I rise in longing --
My breast pounds, a leaping flame,
My heart is burnt in the fire.

人にあはむ月のなきには思ひおきて胸はしり火に心やけをり

Her most famous poem, and the one in the Hyakunin Isshu, is this late one:

The flowers' beauty
Fades away.
I have spent my life in the world
In idle mischief.
And the long rains keep falling.

花の色は移りにけりないたづらに我が身世にふるながめせし間に

Here's a page with a number of her poems.

I was trying to think of some Western figure analogous to her, but I couldn't. One of the most famous of all Japanese poets, and a romantic historical figure, living around 850 AD. If the Roman poet Catullus were a woman...?

EDIT: @Anh_Minh -- It's okay. The anime story about the hundred nights is almost as likely to be true as the legend, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-07-17 at 16:28.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 16:12   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I kinda regret reading the wiki entries about those two. I preferred the anime story.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 16:34   Link #67
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wait a minute, real life has it that it's not the Monk Henjo who pursued Komachi for 100 nights, but someone else? Well, talk about REAL liberal with the poems.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 20:28   Link #68
lansglenn

Wooooow, after watching these episodes first and starting on Chihayafuru for the first time -- I'm enjoying both shows wayyyyyy more =O
Old 2012-07-23, 15:55   Link #69
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I came to this series for the romance, not the bromance. Episode 4 by far the weakest IMO, although it's nice to see more of Mr. Badass Surrogate Father before he became that way.

And next week we have Komachi's poem about growing old and withered? Interesting.

Old 2012-07-23, 16:23   Link #70
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

It's nice to watch "follow-up" from episode 3. Komachi still depends on Munesada for advice. They might not be lovers, but I think they still care for each other deeply.

While this episode does not focus much on romance, I don't mind the bromance since I got to watch a number of LOL moments, particularly the interaction between Narihira and Yasuhide.

Old 2012-07-24, 05:27   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was definitely the weakest episode so far, but it was still enjoyable. I didn't expect Komachi to appear in this one. What's even better is that the next one will focus on her again! Her poem sounds a bit depressing.
Old 2012-07-24, 10:55   Link #72
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show. Pics of characters and their seiyuus, with info about each seiyuu.

Yes, this was not my favorite episode. But even with silly humour instead of romance, it was somehow still enjoyable. And Endou Aya (Komachi) and Suwabe Junichi (Narihira) were glorious together.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 16:33   Link #73
Dop
Mmmm....

That was kind of a sad episode, in a philosophical sort of way.
Possibly the best so far, although I think it will have much more of a resonance to the older viewers.

I could listen to Endou Aya read the phone book all day and still enjoy it.

Last edited by Dop; 2012-07-31 at 07:03.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:26   Link #74
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

A continuation of last episode? At least better in comparison, as now you have Komachi reminiscing on what could've been. But overall, still not very interesting nor even touching for me. I want my romance, dammit.

Old 2012-07-31, 06:55   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought this episode was excellent. It more than made up for last week. It was a bit depressing as expected, but the conclusion was uplifting. There a few very funny moments thanks to Narihira too. He and Komachi are definitely my favorite characters in the series so far.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:39   Link #76
Lota

Well I for one didn't think last week's episode was weak, so I didn't think Uta Koi had to make up for anything, but this week, it really delivered. I loved this episode. While I also enjoyed the ones about love, these two episodes were about friendship and a lot of other things. This trio of characters are possibly my favourites, I love their interactions! I have nothing but positive words to say about this episode (and the whole series so far). I just hope the rest of the episodes are as good
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:39   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, that was a lot less depressing than I feared.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 16:15   Link #78
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

This episode is not bad. I did not expect a continuation from last week's episode, but seriously, I miss the romance.

Old 2012-07-31, 17:56   Link #79
Kirarakim

The episodes themes definitely resonated with me, this was one of my favorites. Although I did feel the scene with the monk felt a bit awkward.
Old 2012-08-06, 14:12   Link #80
LKK

Two questions. (1) What were the writers on? (2) Where can I get some? That was a trippy episode.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, josei, romance