AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-22, 05:06   Link #1181
ookamigirl

Finally, some serious action!
It was pretty cool watching the mecha fights.
Who knew their plan would work using a giant robot.
That Kimijima Kou was a real pest.
Seems like they made a lot of desperate moves.
They were lucky some of those actually worked.
Nice final episode with some drama.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 05:54   Link #1182
j4c06

What happened to Frau's mom? Who was S.Braun they were supposed to say hi to? Why didn't Sawada show up? This series is clearly one episode too short.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 06:30   Link #1183
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
This series is clearly one episode too short.
More like: 22 episodes too long.

It's been a while since the overwhelming majority of immediate responses to a final episode have sounded so disappointed. I guess that's what happens when people peg their hopes for a new series based on their enjoyoment of previous renditions of stories in the same series/vein/universe. Not me, at least on this one. I gave up on Steins;Gate part way through (couldn't stomach the main character), and I would have given up on this one after a couple of episodes except Aki was just too enthusiastically positive. Not expecting much, I wasn't disappointed.

In the long run, the only things I will probably remember about this series is Aki's enthusiastic attitude, and that kiss. Although I still can't say I like him, seeing how much of a jerk Kai was towards Aki for most of the series, I was knocked sideways by his confession, which, along with the subsequent kiss, is one of the better ones I've scene in an anime. It did occur to me, since it did seem to come out of the blue, that, perhaps, that scene was injected in order to get haters like me to have a more positive attitude toward Kai. Or was it just the ghost of scenes past where the virgin protagonist, on the night before going off to war, confesses his love, gets married, and has a wild night of rumpy-pumpy?
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 10:01   Link #1184
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
What happened to Frau's mom? Who was S.Braun they were supposed to say hi to? Why didn't Sawada show up? This series is clearly one episode too short.
S(ister) Braun is Nae. That's her nickname from Steins;Gate.
Frau's mom was probably killed by the Committee but still... I would have liked a confirmation.
Sawada was injured during the Tokyo Expo. Probably still hospitalized.

I am mostly disappointed that we never got a background episode for Subaru, thus his dad's hatred of robots was never explained.

The magnetic monopoles were a red herring and completely unneeded. They could have devised a different power source for the robots.

I also dislike the use of brainwashing, mind control and illusions as narrative tools.

Lastly, Kimijima Kou was a terrible villain whose motivations were never properly explained. He also behaved too much like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

tl;dr: The main characters were likable but the show left too many dangling threads and used too many deus-ex-machina to deserve more than a 7/10 rating from me.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 11:59   Link #1185
Midonin
Last Engage

R;N FINAL - Magic, Energy, Super-Power and Guts! Born, Hero! A Gigantic God of Steel

It's rare that I watch a noitaminA thing, and I was more interested in this one because it was part of the Science Adventure series. From an overall perspective, it looks like the first and third entries aren't as well-acclaimed as the second, but I found R;N a perfectly good watch. For starters, it revolves around robots. One of the better integrations of a show-within-a-show into the plot I've seen, and Akiho is going down in history as one of my favorite characters. Though I wanted to see a little bit more of Junna, because I like her voice and her character design. At least her grandpa played a big role in the proceedings.

So, yes, compared to C;H and S;G, the show took a bit to get moving, but it kept the stuff in between interesting, for the most part. There are some elements I wanted to see more of - namely, a third appearance by Mr. Pleiades - but almost everything established early in the show ended up coming into play in the finale. Also compared to C;H and S;G's urban settings, this is a little more rural, a little more lighthearted in some ways, but not without its ties to things. I read in a badly-timed spoiler when the show was just starting that more of the past cast besides Nae would play a role, but that never came to fruition in the anime. Probably had to be cut for time.

I did like the use if iPads and other tablet computers as a central conceit of the plot. It's close enough to the modern day that we can believe it, but just far enough away from what they can do now that it makes the story kinda cool. I should see if I can find any AR apps for my iPod that I have sitting beside me on the desk at this moment. It's an awesome concept.

I enjoyed watching it, and will continue to be a fan of the Science Adventure series as long as they keep making them. Connected more by theme than by direct linear progression, they're a good mix of comedy, geekery and sci-fi. My only wish is that somebody releases Robotics;Notes character songs, preferably with Gunvarrel's theme song somewhere in there.

What can I say? I love robots.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 13:01   Link #1186
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just saw the last episode. Well, I agree with most of the complains about the ending and Kimijima Kou’s lame-ness as a villain. I won’t repeat the points that others already addressed well. But I’m going to say this: the last episode really throws scientific element of the show outta the window by introducing that backup robot from Sumeragi. The series turns from scientific genre into high-mecha genre the moment that bipedal robot moves so fast and jump so high even though it has questionable power source and very simple and tiny legs compared to its body. That element alone will feel very comfortable in super-robot genre, which this anime is trying hard not to be. I mean, seriously, that mini evil robot makes the Mobile Suits in Gundam series feel as plausible as my car.

Anyway, this is an enjoyable show with some bearable (if not outright likable) characters. If only this series didn't take itself too seriously by giving us oh-so-serious-and-heavy-but-convoluted plot, this would be a much more enjoyable and fun series, like Gurren Lagann for example. 5/10 from me just for the entertainment value alone and good OPs & EDs (especially OP2 & ED2).
Old 2013-03-22, 14:38   Link #1187
Folenfant
Banned

Most of the issues I have with the show revolve almost entirely around circumstances relating to thi gs that relate to Kou and the things he did to the cast mostly cause a lot of it seemed pretty prevenatable via smarter action on the main casts part. As it stands I liked the core cast a lot but I feel that they had to be dumbed down at times in order to make Kou seem dangerous. As it stands I liken him a lot to Sugou and his I'm going to molest your girlfriend bit only replace that with I'm going to ruin to try to ruin your girlfriends love of robots and try to kill little girls and your mentor. Thing is its not that hard to make nerdy programmer types good villains. Patlabor the Movie had a great one in Eichi Hoba who never even had a single line in the movie and also managed to menace the cast in a convincing way from beyond the grave so I don't get it with recent ones.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 16:45   Link #1188
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I guess that's what happens when people peg their hopes for a new series based on their enjoyoment of previous renditions of stories in the same series/vein/universe
Whatever. I didn't particularly enjoy Steins;Gate's ending arc either, for pretty much the same reasons I didn't enjoy Robotics;Note's. A plot that should, on the surface, be epic in nature, ends up being very small-scale and personal in actuality. So, I find it more than a little amusing that those who hold SG up to high heavens have so many issues with RN.

I can't help but wonder if it's more a reduced emotional connection to the characters than all the other reasons people are grasping at to like one over the other. Coincidence or not, there's no Rei Ayanami-type character in RN, as opposed to SN, and the comments in their respective threads shows by that omission. For the record, I HATE that type of character, and think it's one of the worst parts of anime fandom, but I acknowledge it IS a huge part of anime fandom, and have to question how much character issues, rather than plot issues, really lie at the disconnect between SG and RN's reception.

As I said before, there were many moments within RN I enjoyed, it was the overall plot and direction I found mediocre, which is pretty much a mirror of my thoughts towards SG.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 16:47   Link #1189
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Well, I haven't seen S;G, so I wasn't in any way influenced by it. And I'm still VERY disappointed by this show, especially the ending, and all the asspulls.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:19   Link #1190
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
A plot that should, on the surface, be epic in nature, ends up being very small-scale and personal in actuality.
I think you've framed this well. The show, for me, certainly did seem to initially promise something different and better with that glorious monster robot, the aurora borealis in the sky, and the after affects that both Aki and Kai suffered from that incident. But it all seemed to get bogged down in the muck and mire of ridiculous and incomprehensible plot twists and illogical (if any) reasoning behind the events and concepts of the show.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if it's more a reduced emotional connection to the characters than all the other reasons people are grasping at to like one over the other.
I, for one, am not comparing it to S;G or C;H, since I stopped watching the former, and never watched the latter. But I do freely admit that my decisions to watch, or not watch, and whether, when it's all said and done, my opinions of a show as a whole, are frequently influenced by the characterizations of the protagonists (or antagonists). I was influenced to continue watching this show because of Aki's character, but my dislike of the show as a whole, hasn't anything to do with the characters. It really just ended up being, well, stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
And I'm still VERY disappointed by this show, especially the ending, and all the asspulls.
This really does seem to be the common consensus.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:30   Link #1191
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
This needs an OVA... it really needs one!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:30   Link #1192
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I, for one, am not comparing it to S;G or C;H, since I stopped watching the former, and never watched the latter. But I do freely admit that my decisions to watch, or not watch, and whether, when it's all said and done, my opinions of a show as a whole, are frequently influenced by the characterizations of the protagonists (or antagonists). I was influenced to continue watching this show because of Aki's character, but my dislike of the show as a whole, hasn't anything to do with the characters. It really just ended up being, well, stupid.
That's great, but since my comments were directed at those viewers who really enjoyed SG, but didn't enjoy RN, largely irrelevant as a response to that statement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with what you said, as a stand alone comment. I just want to make sure you, and others, understand I was targeting a specific demographic among the commentators who are voicing their opinions for this show.

And, yes, I know I quoted you, but it was just the part that largely echoed what I was saying in regards to those who went into this show based off their reaction to SG.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:39   Link #1193
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
This needs an OVA... it really needs one!!!!!
An OVA cannot save this show when the overall plot is already all over the place. It might help tying up some loose ends, but that’s it. Also, I heard the sales for this anime is bad. So, is it realistic to hope for an OVA? I don’t know.
Old 2013-03-22, 17:44   Link #1194
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
An OVA cannot save this show when the overall plot is already all over the place. It might help tying up some loose ends, but that’s it. Also, I heard the sales for this anime is bad. So, is it realistic to hope for an OVA? I don’t know.
Nah.. I don't care of the robot anyway...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:48   Link #1195
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
A plot that should, on the surface, be epic in nature, ends up being very small-scale and personal in actuality.
I agree with the description, but I actually think of this as a strength. I may be one of the few who are actually happy with the ending.

I do agree it's not perfect, or that the connection between the personal and the epic could have been clearer, but I have no issues with the general direction they went in. That also ties in with the "deus-ex-macchina" accusations, which I didn't feel. These kids stumbled into a conflict and turned out to be helpful. They didn't focus on the group who actually fought the other group, so their interference looks like it comes from nowhere. But I liked how, in this show, the kids didn't do everything on their own.

I'm not that happy about unresolved issues, some of them pretty major (like the monopole thing, or the strange nature of the report flags - both of which I think are due to too little characterisation of Kimijima Kou the human - I suspect his human counterpart to be a kitsune-type trickster who wanted a back-up plan in case his AI double would find his human template expendable...).

I don't think the show's perfect, but I do think the ending is consistent with the rest of it. I had a good time watching it, and the show actually helped me understand the fascination some people have with giant robots (which I don't share; giant robots bore me).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 18:34   Link #1196
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Much ass was pulled in the making of this anime 4/10. Really wanted to like this one, too but bad endings always ruin it for me. Bad plots don't help, either
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 18:55   Link #1197
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Much ass was pulled in the making of this anime 4/10. Really wanted to like this one, too but bad endings always ruin it for me. Bad plots don't help, either
seeing as this was the last ep I decided to catch up to it (I dropped this pos after mizukas death.)

wow. . B.S. all over the place.

-Cliche ending, wtf astronauts now?(after watching space borthers I findthis highly unlikely)

-Sawada's net handle should be deus ex machina (pun intended because...ROBOTS)

-and who the hell is Sawada anyway, we don't even see him in the show!

-Stupid Romance shoehorned in last ep(really they should have left it alone and left it unresolved between the blond chick, kai, and aki)

-Brainwashed by a computer program from a guy who was killed and somehow uploaded his consciousness or whatever to the net after he died? And even if it was just a program, how would it know how to torment misa and guilt trip her, and and and. . .fuck too many b.s. ass pulls there...so many questions I don't feel like typing wtf.

-BRAINWASHING?! ffs, seriously guys.

-Kimijima Kou not being able to kill a robot just standing there while he can run mach5 and kais robot is a rusty bucket that can barely move. . .

-one heart emp to kai knocks him out for like three days, but the next day he can take three in a row, and still have energy to yell and get out of the robot. . .

-the "tears" every time aki "pressed the button" like seriously. . .we all knew Kai was in no danger

-Misa for being a plot device. seriously her character was bad

-committee of 300? even akatsuki was more interesting as the cliched "evil organization" Hell Pokemon's "ELITE FOUR on GAMEBOY was more interesting.

-Subaru's Dad... why is he such a dick again? nope move on to Rusty Robot

-Monopoles? oh yeah we forgot.

-blond hared chicks mom? meh Kai kissed aki, so she doesn't matter anymore.

fuck this was bad...

Imagine if Gen would have done this instead. . .he would have let kimijima succeed in the end because the show is just so sappy, that it needs to be annihilated.

1/10 that 1point is for the arc with the blond chick, Kai, and the story about the mother, that was the high point of the series actually

the rest of the show was just fucktarded
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 20:01   Link #1198
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Not a bad ending, but they really needed another ep to fix all the loose ends.
Old 2013-03-22, 21:14   Link #1199
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not to bad of an ending a very nice robot fight at the end

7/10 it seem that Kai all he did was play that game
Old 2013-03-23, 02:35   Link #1200
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
So what an ending it was, but I guess the Committee is still around for another, eh?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction