AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 166 69.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 20.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 5.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.84%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-23, 12:56   Link #61
ImClueless
Rawr

What a great episode. I totally expected Teresa to survive up until the very end. Totally a WTF moment for me. I haven't read the manga, but is Priscilla gonna be the final boss monster that Claire will have to take on?
Old 2007-05-23, 13:02   Link #62
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku View Post
Im confused. Teressa named the girl Claire. It seems she knows Claire the Claymore and named the girl after her. After she broke the rule, I figured theyd send Claire the Claymore after her and there'd be a claire v raki philosophical debate/conflict. Hence the obvious naming and whatnot.

But now I dont know what the heck is going on. Is this a flashback to before Claire was a Claymore? Is Claire the girl, Claire the claymore?
You mean, you didn't realize?

All this was a flashback. The Claymore Clare roaming around with Raki in the present is the very same Clare who Teresa took under her wing in the past. See the preview: "The same girl is wielding a sword now".

The most part of her motivation should be obvious by now, but I won't go into details, because a total key scene will hopefully follow at the beginning of the next ep... and explain what happened until "today".
Old 2007-05-23, 13:09   Link #63
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
What a great episode. I totally expected Teresa to survive up until the very end. Totally a WTF moment for me. I haven't read the manga, but is Priscilla gonna be the final boss monster that Claire will have to take on?
seems like it...and i think that we can expect an epix struggle for survival when goes up against such a monster...and i dont think she can ever get as strong as teresa so some tricks is needed to take out this bit*h

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-23, 13:18   Link #64
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

No I Honestly did not realize. Remember, flashbacks are always given in a way that the viewer automatically knows its a flahsback. They gave no clue that this was a flashback. Other than the Claire name.

I assumed Teressa knew Claire the claymore and named the girl Claire as an homage. Figured the Teressa/Claire the claymore relationship was similar to the Claire the claymore/ other claymore she killed relationship. After the 4 top claymores were beaten, they'd send Claire the claymore with another group (showed in the openning creds) to kill the overpowered Teressa. Philosophical conflict would ensue as per usual in anime (similar to the Priscilla philosophical conflict). Plus the usual "weaker character becomes progressively stronger throughout series until they can beat the main villan" schtick.

I was way WAY off...

So I guess instead its: Claire is saved by Teressa. Then Teressa is killed and Claire turns into a claymore for revenge eh? Then she takes Raki as a companion similar to how Teressa took her in. Only question here is whether shes as strong or stronger than Teressa is. Which I doubt, since then it'd be a question of find & kill instead of overcome unsurmountable odds and kill the unkillable villan

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Old 2007-05-23, 13:19   Link #65
HinaThePrince

This episode was actually kind of "meh" for me. I could hardly relate or even pity Prissyface with that voice, even when she said her father killed her family etc etc.
In the manga I could really feel Clare's shock when Teresa got killed in a split-second before her eyes - in the anime, not really. It was probably because of the art. One of the things I like best about Yagi's art is the way he masters facial expressions, and that's pretty much lost in the anime. Also, one of Clare's eyes was quivering and the other wasn't, and that was retarded.
Clare's monologue about not being reflected in Prissyface's eyes was dropped out, which is a shame because I loved it and I think it was very important.

Good parts: the battles, the part where Teresa got her head cut off, the part where Clare's vision was blurring [brilliant directing IMO] and when she hugged Teresa's severed head. Awakened Prissyface's voice was really kind of sexy.

Anyway, this one gets a 7.

Last edited by HinaThePrince; 2007-05-23 at 13:55.
Old 2007-05-23, 13:19   Link #66
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Ah, as I thought, the Priscilla hate is rampent

To be honest I feel sorry for Priscilla as well, like Clare said, they are not able to control themselves when their power goes over the limit. So I believe it is quite possible that Priscilla was simply no longer in control, and the Yoma half had simply taken over.

I remember reading this in the manga, it was a tear-jerking moment for me
Priscilla was obviously mentally unstable, and Teresa had obviously gone soft, so she unfortunately let her guard down.

Heh sympathy for the devil I suppose you could call it

On another note
Spoiler for Possibly ommited scene?:

Edit:
I kinda agree with the above poster on certain points, alot of reasonably important lines were ommited, and Partially Awakened Priscilla's voice made it hard to sympathize with her.
Some of the tension was lost from the manga, but it was still overall quite good imo

Another Edit:
I recall someone saying Teresa should have been able to react with her power, keep in mind that the power is only realy as good as your reflex time, and the point of the Scene was partially to show that Priscilla's speed had surpassed even Teresa's ability to counter it.

Last edited by Fenrir_valindri; 2007-05-23 at 13:38.
Old 2007-05-23, 13:40   Link #67
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
On another note
Spoiler for Possibly ommited scene?:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-23, 13:41   Link #68
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

After watching the fansub I still had to restrain myself from checking if my own eye was still intact after the scene where Noel gets an eye perforation by Pricillia.

I wonder if Claymore will be licenced in the future. And if in that case this scene would have a chance to stay uncensored.

Fenrir_valindri I don't hate Priscilla I only hope she dies...preferable by being stabbed slashed a multiple times in many tiny pieces. For the rest I don't hold a grudge against her .. honest..
Old 2007-05-23, 14:02   Link #69
Key Board
Carbon

Theresa turned off her hax mode

when she was preparing to kill her Pris, her eyes went back to normal color
Old 2007-05-23, 14:06   Link #70
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
owned, made me laught.
Old 2007-05-23, 14:12   Link #71
Seska

For the Manga Wisdom Users....

See, we saved all this users curiosity. They all was surprised with Teresa's death.
I bet that they don't knowing this, while they was talking about "the poor Bandits". Or that was some of us (Yes, Manga Wisdom Users) that knows what will come...

But hey, don't fall onto the dark side of Spoilers, young Padawan. A Jedi must not fall into Chaos and Hate

Keep your Spoilers in check, and everyone will have a hell of a ride, with this Anime. And didn't i told it?. That we need a 11 for voting?

Well, anyway...

[Eclipse] i love you.... (Well your speed subs, of course)
Old 2007-05-23, 14:25   Link #72
Kamel

I guess people in this Forum already mentioned to possible reasons as to way Teressa died.

- Was it Pricillas speed at the brink of awaking surpassing Teresas so much that she was defenseless. [ version Prissila the Ultimate Claymore]

- or was it the fact that after meeting Clare Teresa softened and let he guard down, because of Pricilla’s act, and Pricilla’s victory was just victory thanks to the dirty trick. [ version Teresa the ultimate Claymore]

Sad part is that we will probably never know for sure.

Last edited by Kamel; 2007-05-23 at 14:37.
Old 2007-05-23, 14:38   Link #73
zato_1one

Somehow I love this episode much more than in manga. Even if I've already knew what will happen, I still feel very sad. The anime has done a very very good job on this. A moment when Teresa died, I could feel the expression from characters that they were really shocking. The anime also adds some new elements and makes it more violent which really impress me and totally awesome.

I think it's inevitable to omit some lines/scenes from manga due to the limit of time. Not that I don't feel anything but I'm sure MADHOUSE "will" present it in later episode. Up to this episode they've already proved that they have enough potential to make Claymore the best adaptation from manga. And may be the best in this season too, imo. I have no doubt in them now because I believe they know what's important and know how to fit them in anime.

I agree that if it ends this arc just like in manga, it will be much more better. But ends like this is still not bad. In fact, it's also very powerful, imo. It makes viewer to focus on that emotional impact scene without distraction from any speech. And that can make viewer almost speechless... If I'm not a manga reader, I'm sure I will feel blank for a while. T T

Again, salute you MADHOUSE!

Last edited by zato_1one; 2007-05-23 at 15:02. Reason: forgive my grammar - -"
Old 2007-05-23, 14:44   Link #74
Seska

Om... Thats future knowing... you are spoiling... (well Semi-spoiling) and in the wrong thread...
Only Manga readers, knows if episodes are fillers or not.... anime only viewers, enjoy the trip...

With no hard feelings...
Old 2007-05-23, 14:45   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

An awakened one ehh~
How long is this series again?!
Old 2007-05-23, 15:17   Link #76
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post
Really? I don't remember that.
it is vol7
Old 2007-05-23, 15:22   Link #77
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would like to remind you all of one thing, requested in the thread guidelines: Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.

This means NO manga spoilers in the thread, even if you put it under 10 spoiler tags. Also, do not quote spoilers - it only helps them to spread.
Old 2007-05-23, 15:26   Link #78
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Theresa was really careless here. Priscilla may have swung the sword really fast, but she moved her hand toward it pretty slowly. It wasn't very smart of Theresa to let her get into a position to pick up the sword like that. I don't think it was a matter of "going soft" in terms of compassion, she just seemed to overestimate her sense of whether Priscilla's human side would remain in control for the time it took Theresa to behead her. A serious miscalculation for an experienced Claymore. Although it could also be that it was in fact the human Priscilla who wanted to kill Theresa at whatever cost... She seemed very commited, so I wouldn't put that past her. Either way, although I didn't want Theresa to die, I don't share the view that this was a "cheap" move. Fairness is not to be expected in a battle to the death. When someone believes their cause to be righteous, using sneak tactics against a (thus far) superior enemy is par for the course.
Old 2007-05-23, 15:47   Link #79
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

I finaly got the subbed one and I loved the part where Priscilla begged to be Killed. It was so sad... ;_; Papa....Papa...

Although, I have only one complain..the wings could have been bigger but I think they are small because they didn`t dried themselves completly. She looks like a moth and all. My opinion of course.

Not even caring for Clare, she just went walking and walking like nothing happened.
Old 2007-05-23, 15:50   Link #80
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
Theresa was really careless here. Priscilla may have swung the sword really fast, but she moved her hand toward it pretty slowly. It wasn't very smart of Theresa to let her get into a position to pick up the sword like that. I don't think it was a matter of "going soft" in terms of compassion, she just seemed to overestimate her sense of whether Priscilla's human side would remain in control for the time it took Theresa to behead her. A serious miscalculation for an experienced Claymore. Although it could also be that it was in fact the human Priscilla who wanted to kill Theresa at whatever cost... She seemed very commited, so I wouldn't put that past her. Either way, although I didn't want Theresa to die, I don't share the view that this was a "cheap" move. Fairness is not to be expected in a battle to the death. When someone believes their cause to be righteous, using sneak tactics against a (thus far) superior enemy is par for the course.
It was a cheap move if you consider what Priscilla was "preaching" to Teresa just before the start of the battle. All that bull about rules of conduct and values and the like.
It's just like Teresa said, that's not how the world works. Everything about Priscilla is just a ruse to cover up that rotten core of hers.
But yeah, Teresa pretty much doomed herself by going soft on Priscilla. It shows a lot of her recent development in character but it also cost her her life.
In the end both of their roles were effectivly reversed. Teresa turned out to be the righteous force of benevolence (surprise,surprise), while Priscilla showed her true colors as a treacherous double-tongued hypocrite.
Closed Thread