AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-17, 18:37   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

Dark, mature, adult leads, strong story...

I'm looking for more mature anime/manga. I like darker shows and mangas, with adult males as the main characters, and I also prefer things with a good strong plot. My favourite anime/manga include:

Anime
Monster
Hellsing Ultimate
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Sword of the Stranger
Durarara! and Baccano!
Gintama
Darker than Black
Kuroshitsuji

Manga
Fullmetal Alchemist
Kuroshitsuji
Until Death Do Us Part
Shin Angyo Onshi
Hellsing

Mostly I like these because of their main characters, which are a crucial part of anime viewing for me. I like characters like:

Roy Mustang (FMA)
Franken Stein (Soul Eater)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Heiwajima Shizuo (DRRR!)
Hei (DTB)
Hijikata Mamoru (UDDUP)
Lockon Stratos (Gundam 00 S1)

Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Texhnolyze and Trigun are on my to-watch list. I'm also going to read Vagabond and perhaps Gantz...

My preferred genres are action/fantasy/drama/seinen. I also want good-quality animation and art.

I will be eternally grateful if a suggestion from here turns out to be my new favourite show or manga

My full anime/magalist
Old 2010-05-17, 18:49   Link #2
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

You need to watch Texhnolyze, The plot may seem a bit confusing at first but it'll pick up later.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:50   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You want to watch the "Bakeneko"/Mononoke shows.

Bakeneko is the third installment of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales and the best $7 you can spend on anime. This segment got such raves that Fuji and Toei decided to devote a whole 12-episode Noitamina slot to its sequel Mononoke.

I'd also suggest Baccano!, though it doesn't really have just one lead, and Claymore, even though all the main characters are female. You might also like Welcome to the NHK! though it's more comedic than my other suggestions. Still pretty "dark," though.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:55   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Lets see only two come to my mind you haven't listed as watched, or to watch being Canaan it's mystery/action that's moderately dark, and Blood+ should fit too. Both have very good animation and pretty solid stories.
MAL
Old 2010-05-17, 18:55   Link #5
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Death Note maybe. I think it'll probably fit as it can certainly be called a dark story at times. Good story too iirc.

Blood+ could also be another possibility.

On a little more of the romance-y side..

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien could be considered dark at times, and could also be said to have a strong story.

School Days may also fit. Though more so in the dark than mature I'd say. But it can get really messed up at times... including the ending.

Finally, you have to check out Elfen Lied imo. Though it may not seem like it at times, I can't think of any other anime (besides maybe School Days, but it's a different sort of reaction) I've seen that can cause so much commotion/controversy. It really deals with some dark and mature stuff. In the first 5 minutes or so like 25 people are brutally murdered, in fairly graphic detail too, which sort of sets the tone. Though that is a different type of "mature" than what you're looking for I'd imagine, but it turns around and becomes less "childish mature" quickly. It just goes to show they don't pull punches.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2010-05-18, 05:05   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You'll probably like Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2010-05-18, 10:23   Link #7
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I second Texhnolyze and add this Denpa Teki na Kanojo(although the main lead isnt old he can be considered an adult).
Old 2010-05-18, 19:40   Link #8
kco143

You can check out the thread in my signature. You'll probably find something there.