AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-11, 07:31   Link #401
Jiji
*Scanlator

Well, Triad is one of the older groups that I know of, they've gotten a reputation for being solid and fairly reliable with their subs, with good quality all the way around. On their website, I only see one series that they dropped for "suckage", as they put it, and that's their opinion.

I guess I'm saying, don't worry about Triad with Bokurano. The only reason it wouldn't finish under Triad is if it got licensed.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 10:16   Link #402
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Watch the show first please before saying anything about seiyuu performance.

And if you already did, you'll realize that they're not as bad as you percieve it to be in their respective roles.

I am not Hoshi and Sugita's biggest fans, but I'd say that their voice acting in Bokurano which employs a different, rougher tone than their "market-moe" voice is pretty good. Hoshi's voice has the flow of "teenage twisted-ness" that reflected Kodoka well while Sugita's has the a stronger "gruff-ness" to it, far from what most people think of their "moe" voices that fangirls scream over. Maybe they're not best seiyuus for their characters, since one would normally associate "Waku" with Hoshi closer since fangirls dig his "Masaru" voice apparently, but I'd say so far, they're doing a good job.

Seiyuus are flexible when they can be.
Hoshi can be flexible I'll give him that (Higurashi proved me wrong on him, but then I got to hear his Kira voice again for Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 last night and....wow), but it seems impossible for Sugita not to fall into his habit of sounding arrogant and freaking out on his own friends and allies (wherein he screams into the recording mic it would seem creating a really unpleasant and slightly distorted audio experience for the viewer). Daichi does not call for any sort of arrogance at all, but military like discipline (which Sugita has been known to turn into arrogant with freakouts in this game I'm playing called Gadget Trial) and that's what worries me. I can almost picture him now freaking out on his siblings who he's supposed to be taking care of.

You are correct though, I haven't seen any Bokurano yet, but Sugita Tomokazu who I have now seen in about 7 roles all played in the exact same "arrogant with freak outs way" (Even Bullet from SRW OG: OVA) has not given me any reason to believe he is flexible. I've taken to comparing him to Adam Sandler recently as I find the characters they are cast as (Sandler of course casting himself a lot of the time) to be similar and I've found Sugita has the same problem Sandler has in trying to do serious non-comedic roles, his usual vocal traits always seem to poke through and ruin his effort. For this reason and the fact that I can only go by what I know (much of his catalogue), I have a feeling he won't be able to carry the disciplined Daichi role.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 19:18   Link #403
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Episode four was great, that's the type of one episode long character developent that I guess we will see a lot in this series. I wonder what will motivate the rest of the group to continue with this essentially suicidal missions.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 20:03   Link #404
karumofin

Spoiler for ep 4:
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 20:07   Link #405
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

karumofin: Episode four has been subbed, so there are no need for spoiler tags.

And yes, episode five is new material --- though its been talked about before, and is the best idea with an anime adaptation of this series.
Old 2007-05-11, 20:08   Link #406
piccu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You are correct though, I haven't seen any Bokurano yet, but Sugita Tomokazu who I have now seen in about 7 roles all played in the exact same "arrogant with freak outs way" (Even Bullet from SRW OG: OVA) has not given me any reason to believe he is flexible.
I agree that he's not flexible; I've heard his voice in (major roles) Kanon2006, Suzuharu, Chobits, HachiKuro and Bokurano; he sounds the same in any of the series I've mentioned. I like his voice since it's on a very pleasant pitch, but there isn't much variety in voice range.
After watching SuzuHaru I've got big difficulties with taking his voice seriously in other series, since Kyon had totally sarcastic and ironic lines.
e.g. Yuuichi talking with a big emotional impact in Mai's arch sounded like an ironic lne as Kyon to me.
piccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 21:30   Link #407
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok well it was pretty obvious after what happened to Waku that the same thing was gonna happen to Kodama (I think I mispelled that, I still have a hard time keeping the kids straight) but I was surprised that the Dung Bettle actually came out and told them...

Interesting that his dad died in the fight...kinda weird ironcy...

I am loving this anime right now!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 21:57   Link #408
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
karumofin: Episode four has been subbed, so there are no need for spoiler tags.

And yes, episode five is new material --- though its been talked about before, and is the best idea with an anime adaptation of this series.
ep 5 isn't entirely new, it is basically the
Spoiler:

anyway, just watched ep 5 (watching it now actually). my comments (manga spoilers included)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Diedrupo; 2007-05-12 at 10:38.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 07:36   Link #409
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Hoshi can be flexible I'll give him that (Higurashi proved me wrong on him, but then I got to hear his Kira voice again for Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 last night and....wow), but it seems impossible for Sugita not to fall into his habit of sounding arrogant and freaking out on his own friends and allies (wherein he screams into the recording mic it would seem creating a really unpleasant and slightly distorted audio experience for the viewer). Daichi does not call for any sort of arrogance at all, but military like discipline (which Sugita has been known to turn into arrogant with freakouts in this game I'm playing called Gadget Trial) and that's what worries me. I can almost picture him now freaking out on his siblings who he's supposed to be taking care of.

You are correct though, I haven't seen any Bokurano yet, but Sugita Tomokazu who I have now seen in about 7 roles all played in the exact same "arrogant with freak outs way" (Even Bullet from SRW OG: OVA) has not given me any reason to believe he is flexible. I've taken to comparing him to Adam Sandler recently as I find the characters they are cast as (Sandler of course casting himself a lot of the time) to be similar and I've found Sugita has the same problem Sandler has in trying to do serious non-comedic roles, his usual vocal traits always seem to poke through and ruin his effort. For this reason and the fact that I can only go by what I know (much of his catalogue), I have a feeling he won't be able to carry the disciplined Daichi role.
Well the role Sugita Tomokazu has played in the first three or so eps has been fairly small and no freak outs as far as I can remember not that I really agree with your opinion on him anyway. All been very disciplined so far.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 10:54   Link #410
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Thank you ^^b

And good that you don't spoil yourself, advise that for everyone watching (granted some have been spoiled here and there due to poorly placed tags in the beginning).
I personally love shock surprises, so I'm bummed that I already read the manga before the anime started. This is also why I'm happy with these little changes though, as they are mostly good changes and "fillers" and therefor still keep the element of surprise a little bit for manga readers.

The pilot order is really up for grabs now, as that's already been altered (as long as it remains this good, which it seems, big fat yay)

On your blog post;
Spoiler for Episode 5 spoilers:
Ya, to me, manga spoilers are the most evil things ever, and I like to laugh at myself when I made a wrong guess (which by the way happens very darn frequently). Still, it's that feeling of guessing that makes you think a little, even though I watch anime just to be entertained.

Now, I just want to get my hands on Episode 6 and wondered what the hell is happening
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 10:56   Link #411
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz
Ya, to me, manga spoilers are the most evil things ever, and I like to laugh at myself when I made a wrong guess (which by the way happens very darn frequently).
~Manju thinks of Impz's most recent wrong guess ~

Im actually staying away from Bokurano spoilers at the moment as well. I normally do try to stay away from spoilers but sometimes it just doesnt work....
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 11:08   Link #412
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Bokurano. Strength

Finally saw episode four.
After witnessing the emotional cruelty that the game imposes on the players, Bokurano's shock values resort more to psychological violence and the fear of death ever present lurking on anyone.

I am very thankful that each episode separately discusses upon a different child, since I can come to remember their names very easily.

Masaru shaped his ideology based on his father. Basically to him life belongs to the strongest, those who are not afraid to use their instincts and wits to make things or get them the way they please or see fit. People who struggle by any means not bounds by the rules or morals of the community will be victors and earn their survival spot.
Spoiler:

I find the game of Bokurano a lot frivolous and quite heartless than that of Gantz.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 14:45   Link #413
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
ep 5 isn't entirely new, it is basically the
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Comments, including Manga spoilers:

Just watched the subbed episode four. Awesome, the fight scene was perfectly done, and at the same time did a great job at showing Kodama's side of him that makes him stand out from the rest of the children.

After this story --- i like to say that Justice has been served.
Old 2007-05-12, 15:22   Link #414
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Comments, including Manga spoilers:

Spoiler for manga content:
Old 2007-05-12, 17:43   Link #415
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler for manga content:
Spoiler for continue (manga spoilers):
Old 2007-05-12, 20:32   Link #416
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I didn't even realize Sugita was in this series until people brought it up and chose to make a big deal out of it (for whatever reason).

Ep 4.

Decent ep, and, as Matrim puts it, is one of the episode-long character development eps that we'll probably see a lot of in this series. As a story it didn't really have many faults, but I couldn't connect with the drama and it came off a tad tepid. I think part of it is that Kodaka isn't exactly an easy character to sympathize with. I'm glad that this show has a good handle over irony, though
Spoiler for ep 4:
This ep confirms what we all probably realized already. I predict that the fact that the kids now know that piloting Zearth leads to their inevitable devise will create some outstanding drama in the next few eps, since I'd imagine the rest of the cast will be a little more sympathetic, or, failing that, complicated. Should be good.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 06:09   Link #417
Karnot
Banned

Spoiler for Manga content:
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 06:20   Link #418
Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Spoiler for Manga content:
Spoiler for manga blabla:
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 06:44   Link #419
Karnot
Banned

Actually i just read vols 2-4, and i must say that mangaka is rather obviously obsessed with child sex....how this was approved for television i can only guess.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 07:55   Link #420
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Episode 6's summary + thoughts is up in my blog, if anyone who has not spoiled himself/herself in the manga yet and wants to have a detailed summary on the proceedings.

Spoiler for ep 6:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha