AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-27, 11:28   Link #341
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

If that's what you wanted to see I'd recommend Hikaru no Go instead, but to each to his own I guess.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 12:39   Link #342
FuzzyWuzzy

Hikaru no Go was really really bad. It went from fantasy themed anime to a more realistic approach. The anime broke itself by breaking or exposing its own illusion. Thus the ending was craptastic. The beginning was ok though.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 13:20   Link #343
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, that goes to show how varied the tastes around the world are. Suffice to say that FuzzyWuzzy is in a minority, and HnG is normally well regarded in the anime community. But in any case, this is the TYM thread, so let's not derail it any further. I'd be glad to discuss a little more over the HnG thread though.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 20:23   Link #344
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Over all, this was definitely one of the better series of Summer for me. I just kind of wished there was more time to develop the cast. Another season can easily help fix that.

Plenty of nice girls including Kyouko, Kochou, Noriko, Akiko. Tamaki, and just pretend I listed most of the girls. Actually in some ways I find Noriko to be kind of interesting. Especially given how involved she seemed to be with them near the end.
Old 2009-09-27, 21:14   Link #345
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All the subs for episodes 10-12 are out.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 21:57   Link #346
aulzon

Finished. The subs were interesting in their release. Anyways, overall I really liked this series.

Maybe because I like baseball and it was interesting to watch a show where the girls aren't just there to stand cute (although there is nothing wrong with that) but actually work toward goals and work hard for it.

In the end I don't think it really mattered if they won or lose. They proved they could play with the boys and that's probably the important part. Also looks like Koume and Saburo end confirmed.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 22:58   Link #347
takodori

TYM followed so-called "the law of baseball animes"

Spoiler for scene in the final episode.:
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 00:41   Link #348
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Guys the seeding situation for the final 3 subbed episodes isn't going so well. Kindly help if you can lol.
Old 2009-09-28, 02:37   Link #349
chinaboat

I, too, really enjoyed it, probably the most enjoyable anime of the summer. I like that even though the ending was somewhat of a stretch, they used strategy to overcome physical shortcomings. And the lack of any real fanservice was very refreshing, it's almost as if they reluctantly put in the bathhouse sequence to prevent their anime license from being suspended or something.

Thanks for the "law of baseball anime" <grin>, I do hope there will be a second season
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 07:39   Link #350
FuzzyWuzzy

Currently downloading them from doremi torrent.

WOOT!!! WOOT!!
Old 2009-09-28, 07:44   Link #351
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episodes 11-12

Definitely a strong finish if I ever saw one. No ridiculous magics, Deus Ex Machinas and the like to pull them out of the fire. They practiced their hearts out and fought tooth and nail to get as good as they already are. And of course, emphasis on "heart", because no person wins in any competition without heart. You can be as good as a demigod but if you don't play with your heart's worth even demigods of sport fall. You need skill and heart to win anything. You need to want to win more than anything. Of course, a little heart-to-heart talk from a Mamiko Noto monologue always helps.

Likewise the men's team isn't a bunch of condescending chauvinists. They respected and knew the amount of practice and resulting skill the girls developed and knew they had treat the game seriously rather than be... well a bunch of "men." Despite having that strangely skewed idea of chivalry they're a respectable bunch.

It's almost rare for a show where you don't simply root for a side and don't develop a degree of disdain for the opposition. Both sides of the game are a likable bunch. Rather than expect a crushing defeat from which one does not return, I was actually expecting both sides to learn and get better no matter who wins.

I mean sure okay the cheering squad, Souya fighting through the pain and Koume's dad suddenly being a forgiving father were old cliches of underdog stories, but you have to admit it given the girl's progression it was already expected, and above all not cheesy. Also, the "climactic" duel between Akiko and her fiancee was a possible ending you could have seen from miles away. So even though they lost, there's no anger or animosity between both sides.

On the downside, it's actually not a very conclusive ending given the post-game events and the scene after the credits. Do I smell a season 2?

Gladly!
Old 2009-09-28, 07:54   Link #352
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Why are people calling this slice of life? And why are you trying to compare it to Saki? I understand where the desire comes from, but not the logic.

Anyway, Tomoe finally hitting her homerun was the best part for me. I got all kinds of emotional on that one. "Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Yes! I did it!" Yea, loved it.

Last edited by DJ Trouble; 2009-09-29 at 20:46. Reason: Homeroom ended early . . .
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 09:57   Link #353
FuzzyWuzzy

homeroom?

I didn't like the ending. For some reason, Japanese story telling always suck when it comes to the end. They are going to create a fantasy world with a fantasy theme and always try to have a practical and realistic end when the anime is not shounen type.
Old 2009-09-28, 11:11   Link #354
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Good ending imho.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 18:02   Link #355
Dop
Mmmm....

I never expected to like a series about baseball. Not ever!
But the period setting fished me in, added to which the possibility of drama over Baseball not being something that well brought up young ladies of the 1920s should be doing.
And there was humour, and there was a moral (work hard at something and you get better at it!), and
Spoiler for episode 12:

I have to admit, in that final episode I was on the edge of my seat as the baseball game approached its climax. I cheered when the grumpy old teacher encouraged the choral society to raise their voices and cheer on the team, and when Koume's dad turned up.

But my final thought was this: Where do they go from here? Are they going to stop now they've proved the point? Or carry on?
I'd happily watch a second series where they meet new challenges. Oh yes.

This has definitely been my 'surprise hit' of the summer.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 22:39   Link #356
aorta

I was kind of surprised that there were no more songs in the show after what we got in episode 1.

It's possible that another season could happen as there are two other novels. The last episode has the same title as the subtitle of the second novel.
Old 2009-09-29, 00:20   Link #357
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So it's kind of like Saki then I guess only with different goals and of course sport.
Comparing it with Saki is just wrong, because except having a sport theme, everything else is miles apart

Anyway, I was also very skeptical about following the show, but then again I personally find all the studio's shows at least watchable. This one was actually very good on slice-of-life part (though hardly original), had several characters that I like, an ending that offers closure (quite rare in adaptions) and even without knowing a thing about baseball, I could still get excited about the two episode game.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 00:47   Link #358
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 01:03   Link #359
4Tran

Well, Taishou Yakyuu Musume wrapped up quite nicely. It's probably my favorite of all the shows that started airing in Summer 2009, and that's a bit surprising considering all the other great works that started in the same period. I think that the element that cemented this is the fact that the comedy works as well as it does. It's no Azumanga Daioh, but there are respectable laughs in just about all the episodes. The earnestness of the characters also plays out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Why are people calling this slice of life? And why are you trying to compare it to Saki? I understand where the desire comes from, but not the logic.
I can see the reason for comparing TYM to Saki since they do share quite a few similarities, but calling it a slice of life is puzzling. If TYM qualifies, then doesn't that mean that all sports shows are? And all comedies and dramas as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Comparing it with Saki is just wrong, because except having a sport theme, everything else is miles apart
While the two shows play out differently, they do appeal using similar elements. The main difference is that Saki is much more a classical exaggerated sports anime while TYM is more of a down-to-earth comedy.
Old 2009-09-29, 20:43   Link #360
Ghostfriendly

Saved the final episodes for some time; but what a conclusion! The girls showed all their skills, the boys did convincingly well, and an air of good spirits and sports(wo)manship was very well placed, without distracting from the tension. When Iwasaki told his team to think of it as an important final, it really clinched the girls' triumph.

The chuffeur was very endearing, hope he gets a new job soon. Maybe the school could employ him to drive a coach, since he saved them from forfeiting an important match.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen