AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-04, 10:51   Link #1
Yozora

Post your shocking moments

I'll start.

Around early 2010, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels hugging in front of the millions of people around the world on live television.
Yozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 12:11   Link #2
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ i think i remember that. it was nice of Shawn to come out and apologize to Bret. Forgive and forget the bads.

for my shocking moment, it was from one of my co-worker. he was a really tough guy and a hard
worker. then one day, he was feeling ill and have to leave work (this happens about
November of 2011). when he visit the doctor, the doc says that he has cancer in his
the portion of his stomach and that he only has less than a year to live.

we all heard the news of him having cancer. it came down on us so quickly. he would have
been the last person i would think of to have cancer. well, that less than a year wasnt
really accurate as he pass away during the month of February 2012. the month
where most of us Asian celebrate our New Year. while everyone was enjoying
their new year, he was on his death bed ready to die.

it was kind of shocking for me. the doc says he have less than a year, but this was WAY
too quick. his face was all dark and skin was really dark and pale. i couldnt really
recognized him anymore. before he pass away, he requested to burn his corpse.

he left behind his wife and 6 years old daughter. i think he was around 48 or 49 years old.
i was pretty sad. even till this day, i can still feel his presense at work. he was a pretty
cool guy, although a little hot headed at time, but a good father and a hard worker
is what i'm going to remember him as.

Rest in peace, friend. you were a good guy till the end in my heart.
Old 2013-03-05, 01:21   Link #3
LeoXiao
思想工作

Oh shit, that really sucks. I feel really sorry for his family.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 18:07   Link #4
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

The last general shocking moment I had was seeing 2 planes crash into the twin towers on TV

Personal shocks:
-My grandfather in the hospital shortly after my father died there, admitting in tears that
he was afraid of dying himself
(so much for a 17 year old kid to have a strong male role-model to fall back on)

-Walking into the ER to see my mother bloated beyond recognition by treatment to keep her bloodpressue from crashing after a severe gastrointestinal perforation
Old 2013-03-06, 00:31   Link #5
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Was assisting a nurse in a clean-up in the ICU when she accidentally "whipped" her towelette that she was using to clean the fecal matter and poop splattered all over my chest.

Good freaking thing that the patient was an iso and I was wearing a gown . The surprises working in the ICU and CCU never ceases to amaze me

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 11:55   Link #6
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
Sad Tale
I have a similar story actually. I used to work a back office/operator/anouncer job at a department store. There was this one guy, a security guard at the store, he was in his late 20's or early 30's. A bigger guy. He was really friendly and always helpful to other people. All of a sudden, one day, he passed away in his sleep. His heart just stopped. He apparently always had a weak heart and his weight didn't help .. but still a surprise.
Old 2013-03-06, 17:34   Link #7
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Having a pump-action shotgun pointed at my face with the barrel 3 inches from my nose on March 8, 1996, with a drunk guy behind the trigger, yeah that was pretty shocking.

Endless "You got a problem?" Soul
Old 2013-03-07, 21:03   Link #8
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Helping the vet castrate my cat.
Old 2013-03-07, 22:24   Link #9
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Sad shocking: Years ago, we got news that my cousin, who was a young child at the time, had a brain tumor. Turned out that the shock wasn't as warranted because it was able to be removed safely and she is fine, but before we had all the information, it was tough to take.

Oh-shit shocking: When I was 17 my friends and I trespassed onto an abandoned house in the middle of some decently thick woods in my hometown. We were going to drink and hang out, pretty stupid really, but we thought we were cool at the time. We had just gotten there and hadn't done anything yet, when suddenly, a helicopter flew really, really low directly over our heads, then circled back and beamed a light on us. We bolted into my car, and I sped out of that dirt driveway as fast as I could. There was a police vehicle right on my tail as soon as I pulled out of the property, but I was so pumped up on adrenaline I decided to try my luck at fleeing the scene. He didn't put his lights on at first for some reason, so I watched as he followed me, and once I got near the street I lived on I floored it and lost him for just long enough to pull into my garage and out of sight... We were being stupid looking back on it, but when I remember it I still have a crazy adrenaline rush... and I still don't know why they were having a helicopter fly rounds over an abandoned house...?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 23:46   Link #10
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
One time my front door was open too long and a bird flew into my house. Then it eventually made it to my room. Then I drove it out after negotiating my own room like an obstacle course for the better part of an hour, then it was finally driven out of the house by some toy helicopter flying skills.

I should have called animal control. But I can't say it wasn't fun.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 17:14   Link #11
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Oh-shit shocking: When I was 17 my friends and I trespassed onto an abandoned house in the middle of some decently thick woods in my hometown. We were going to drink and hang out, pretty stupid really, but we thought we were cool at the time. We had just gotten there and hadn't done anything yet, when suddenly, a helicopter flew really, really low directly over our heads, then circled back and beamed a light on us. We bolted into my car, and I sped out of that dirt driveway as fast as I could. There was a police vehicle right on my tail as soon as I pulled out of the property, but I was so pumped up on adrenaline I decided to try my luck at fleeing the scene. He didn't put his lights on at first for some reason, so I watched as he followed me, and once I got near the street I lived on I floored it and lost him for just long enough to pull into my garage and out of sight... We were being stupid looking back on it, but when I remember it I still have a crazy adrenaline rush... and I still don't know why they were having a helicopter fly rounds over an abandoned house...?
Wow, that does sound scary as sh!t. I can't say I had a similar situation, but I was training for search/rescue qualifications at night and my team was walking along a long dark path when from right above the tree line a black hawk helicopter came buzzing over. Our team leader told us to cover our lights since they were using night vision. They flew over and circled around I assume to check us out.

Another time, also while doing search/rescue training, our team got lost at night, in the woods. Wasn't too pleasant since one of our members got severely dehydrated while we were lost.

As for scary shocking moments go, one really only comes to mind.
It happened last year. Posted it on my blog
http://blackhat2005.wordpress.com/20...ose-encounter/

Spoiler for Blog post:
Old 2013-03-09, 17:35   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Haha, your stories are probably much more dangerous than mine, though at the time I was indeed freaked out to my maximum extent just from the weirdness of it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 13:18   Link #13
Solafighter
Hige

Not sure, how shocking is defined here, but...

Old 2013-03-10, 14:30   Link #14
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Not sure, how shocking is defined here, but...

I don't think there is any need to compare your experiences with others. If there is one thing I've learned from traveling, everyone has their own story to tell. Not everyone will find it interesting, but there will be those who do.
Old 2013-03-11, 02:53   Link #15
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Heard the preview for the next Vividred Operation - Why do they do this to the AkanexAoi coupling ;_;
Old 2013-03-11, 04:04   Link #16
HasuMasu
*Artist

Well, there was this one time after diving into Aincrad I couldn't log-out for two years...

But really, not much comes to mind for me. My memory's never been much of anything so most of my life is already lost, barring the events other people still remember.

Though I can say my most holy shit moment was probably a year ago, I was running on wet flooring and eventually the brakes wouldn't work. I slid into the wall, I wasn't really hurt but I can't say the same for my icecream.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 09:51   Link #17
Lota

Ermm, well this is a sad shocking moment really. I had many shocking moments, but I remembered this one for some reason. Well, it's not really a moment, but... Death was never an unfamiliar or really scary subject for me, one of my grandmothers died when I was 7, the other one when I was 14 and between the ages of 14 and 18 I think I've been to the funerals of 7 people (yeah, somehow my teenage years were not very bright and shiny). The real shock came when in the last 2 years of high school the parents of 4 of my friends or acquaintances died (well, 1 parent per person). It's just that... Their parents were in their fourties. It was just like... wow. 2 of them had cancer, 2 a heart attack... In those last two cases it came out of nowhere. It was just such a shock for all of us. My parents are still rather young, and so were theirs, so it really made me rethink a lot of things again. And then a classmate of a friend died and she was only what, 18? It was all very shocking and depressing.
Old 2013-03-11, 11:03   Link #18
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Well, there was this one time after diving into Aincrad I couldn't log-out for two years...

But really, not much comes to mind for me. My memory's never been much of anything so most of my life is already lost, barring the events other people still remember.

Though I can say my most holy shit moment was probably a year ago, I was running on wet flooring and eventually the brakes wouldn't work. I slid into the wall, I wasn't really hurt but I can't say the same for my icecream.
poor ice cream! but yeah, becareful around slippery ice. one of my co-worker's
friend from Massasschuss (spelling?) die from droving off slippery ice into a cliff. not funny. >___>;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
Ermm, well this is a sad shocking moment really. I had many shocking moments, but I remembered this one for some reason. Well, it's not really a moment, but... Death was never an unfamiliar or really scary subject for me, one of my grandmothers died when I was 7, the other one when I was 14 and between the ages of 14 and 18 I think I've been to the funerals of 7 people (yeah, somehow my teenage years were not very bright and shiny). The real shock came when in the last 2 years of high school the parents of 4 of my friends or acquaintances died (well, 1 parent per person). It's just that... Their parents were in their fourties. It was just like... wow. 2 of them had cancer, 2 a heart attack... In those last two cases it came out of nowhere. It was just such a shock for all of us. My parents are still rather young, and so were theirs, so it really made me rethink a lot of things again. And then a classmate of a friend died and she was only what, 18? It was all very shocking and depressing.
yep...when you start seeing deaths around you, you start thinking "what if". what if my
parents also die and left me behind or what if i'm going to be the next cancer patient.
cancer isnt funny at all. i've seen at least 4-5 people that i know have cancer and were fighting it.
my boss also have cancer in around his neck. he did treatment for about 2 years now.
he's lucky to survive the treatment and is doing ok right now, but his hairs are
crazy white now. before it was only slightly white.

as for my shocking moment, imageshack deleted my uploaded image! yeah...i was shock.
first time ever gotten an image deleted.
Old 2013-03-11, 16:54   Link #19
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Another shocking moment was when I was skiing. I'm not good at skiing so I stupidly tried to make a sharp turn around a bend without slowing down, I was going really fast I should add. One sky decided to twist inward and find itself caught under the other one. Anyone who has been skiing before can probably picture this. My right foot twisted inward with the ski as it got caught under the left one, thus rotating by body. The sudden force of the de-acceleration and loss of control snapped the ski off my foot while catapulting me into the air. In the moment it was pretty fun, I did a few air flips. I knew enough to not tense my body and "go with the flow" as I rag-dolled my way though the air, landing with a thud flat on my back.

I must have flown pretty high and landed pretty hard because even though I made the effort to get up as soon as I could gather myself together, people stopped to ask if I was alright and they looked rather shocked that I was fine. I was just shaken up. I wasn't in any pain surprisingly enough. I managed to reattach my ski and made my way down the rest of the hill.