AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-01, 23:18   Link #21
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Can't see Higurashi getting licensed, either...
Well, Geneon is in the credits......
Old 2006-06-02, 05:41   Link #22
Sir Alex

Quote:
Can't see Higurashi getting licensed, either...
While I agree with this statement, it's probably for quite different reasons than you had in making it. Violence, horror, mystery, moe, a 4-episode arc format that would fit nicely with the R1 DVD distribution pattern, perhaps most importantly a low budget and not being tied to a huge property in Japan, thereby meaning low license costs asked... the series itself is prime licensing material, a juicy apple hanging on the tree. Two caveats, though...
First, it seems that nearly no companies have the funds to license *anything* at the moment. The R1 anime industry has been in dire straits for quite some time - even just looking at this past week, Central Park Media laid off 90% of its staff, which is most likely indicative of the company going bust or about to go bust in some fashion.
Secondly, Higurashi is at least partially sponsored by/tied to Geneon Japan. Geneon Japan is rather notoriously tied to Geneon USA when it comes to licensing things. They rarely let titles go to other American companies, and as of late, they've had a trend of pre-licensing series to Geneon USA quite a long time in advance - or even before the series airs at all (see: Fate/Stay Night, Black Lagoon, etc), and they generally advertise this by putting Geneon USA in the credits or otherwise announcing the property. This has not happened to Higurashi; indeed, there's been no word whatsoever from Geneon USA regarding the title. If anyone would be licensing this show, it'd be them, so... given the above I'm not particularly optimistic about Higurashi's license prospects for the time being.
Old 2006-06-02, 06:30   Link #23
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
I was hoping to get at least the discs with Rena episodes but your point 2 is such a hope crusher...

This calls for desperate measures.... I know! we should all keep redownloading again and again and again and again from the bittorrent trackers, and by some freak accident miracle it might be noticed and posibly licensed some day

Or how about you fansubbers put the episodes on some other tracker and...you know....cheat with the numbers?^^;;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex
Secondly, Higurashi is at least partially sponsored by/tied to Geneon Japan. Geneon Japan is rather notoriously tied to Geneon USA when it comes to licensing things. They rarely let titles go to other American companies, and as of late, they've had a trend of pre-licensing series to Geneon USA quite a long time in advance - or even before the series airs at all (see: Fate/Stay Night, Black Lagoon, etc), and they generally advertise this by putting Geneon USA in the credits or otherwise announcing the property. This has not happened to Higurashi; indeed, there's been no word whatsoever from Geneon USA regarding the title. If anyone would be licensing this show, it'd be them, so... given the above I'm not particularly optimistic about Higurashi's license prospects for the time being.
Old 2006-06-02, 09:28   Link #24
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex
While I agree with this statement, it's probably for quite different reasons than you had in making it. Violence, horror, mystery, moe, a 4-episode arc format that would fit nicely with the R1 DVD distribution pattern, perhaps most importantly a low budget and not being tied to a huge property in Japan, thereby meaning low license costs asked... the series itself is prime licensing material, a juicy apple hanging on the tree. Two caveats, though...
First, it seems that nearly no companies have the funds to license *anything* at the moment. The R1 anime industry has been in dire straits for quite some time - even just looking at this past week, Central Park Media laid off 90% of its staff, which is most likely indicative of the company going bust or about to go bust in some fashion.
Nope, most of your points are exactly what I meant, especially about Geneon. I would've actually thought of the combination of "Violence, horror, mystery and moe" as a bad thing though, although putting all of Onikakushi on one disc would do a pretty good job of ensnaring anyone who happened to watch all of it, buying the DVD in the first place would be the problem. I've seen too many people instantly turned off by the character designs and not even letting the series get into its flow, and that would only be made worse when you had to go out and buy it rather than download the fansubs and give up a few hours to watch it. As a result, it would end up a very niche show - people who got used to the character designs and didn't mind the comedy as well as enjoyed the violence and mystery, and that kind of audience just isn't something licensing companies can really target right now. At least Fate/Stay Night has a chance to get noticed because of its action and elements of world mythology rather than just Japanese culture. Higurashi would be very much a 'rely on the fansub watchers' to spread it.

Of course, I don't pretend to understand the industry, so if it does get licensed I'll be happy, and I'd pick up the R1s in addition to the R2s, but it doesn't look likely. Shame really, a lot of the people who're dismissing it would probably enjoy it too.

Quote:
Or how about you fansubbers put the episodes on some other tracker and...you know....cheat with the numbers?^^;;
I don't think that would be enough to convince them

So in conclusion, to keep this to the topic, there's another reason for people on the fence about buying R2 DVDs to go for it.
Old 2006-06-03, 14:39   Link #25
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Figure of Rena, I wish I could find someplace that's selling all five, doing this piecemeal is going to kill me.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-06-05 at 23:36.
Old 2006-06-03, 15:42   Link #26
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Figure of Rena, I wish I could find someplace that's selling all five, doing this piecemeal is going to kill me.
Doubt anywhere's going to sell them all complete, Hobbylink Japan has the set they all came from, which is 10 in a box even though there's only 6 (5+1 secret) to collect. Would probably work out cheaper for you if you could find a way to sell the doubles.

Cute figure though
Old 2006-06-04, 15:37   Link #27
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I've been lucky so far, no dupes yet. Of course I only have Mion and Shion to go....

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-06-05 at 23:36.
Old 2006-06-05, 18:52   Link #28
liuic

just my opinion, if you have money.
don't buy the dvd.
buy music cd, drama cd, game, manga.

the TV series just cut too much.

http://photo.xuite.net/liuic/832352/1.jpg
now I have 2 drama cd(Onikakushi-hen and Watanagashi-hen), 4 manga, and still waiting for another 3 drama cd(Tatarigoroshi-hen and 2 mini series) and music cd.

part of my collection
http://photo.xuite.net/liuic/832352

Last edited by liuic; 2006-06-05 at 19:28.
Old 2006-07-29, 19:44   Link #29
Varion
殲滅天使

Official website updated with pics of the first DVD cover and its LE extras:

http://oyashirosama.com/web/item/index.htm#dvd

Old 2006-08-17, 07:28   Link #30
Varion
殲滅天使

Random goods update on the official site including lots of little things and these:

Both mail order only, with the Rena/Mion one available through Megami 76 and the Rika/Satoko through the second DVD. Wouldn't mind that second one

Also, going to the main page here looks to have the second DVD cover in the background (at least that's what they did with the first cover).

Last edited by Varion; 2006-08-17 at 08:55.
Old 2006-08-17, 22:32   Link #31
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Both mail order only, with the Rena/Mion one available through Megami 76 and the Rika/Satoko through the second DVD. Wouldn't mind that second one
By the way, those are voice alarm clocks.

I can imagine what Rika or Satoko's morning call would be like, but Rena and Mion's are a little harder...

Maybe something like 「........朝だッ!!」 (It's morning!!). You'd wake up to a heart attack.
Old 2006-08-17, 23:01   Link #32
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Rena: "み~つけた..."

That'd be enough to make me gtfo of bed

Rika: "おはよございますなのです!"

Adorable

Satoko (while crying): "おきてる! おきてるよ、にいにい!"

Of course, that'd just make me wanna break the clock
Old 2006-08-17, 23:53   Link #33
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
The Satoko/Rika clock kinda looks cute
I wouldn't mind having one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy

What are you talking about??? For Rena to go out of her way, breaking in to your house while you sleep just to wake you up so you won't be late for school.....Renaa!!!!!

Now I feel like playing hide and seek with Rena
Old 2006-08-17, 23:58   Link #34
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:

"I found you" is probably not a very appropriate phrase for a wake up call. I admit it'll probably wake you up good though. ^^;

Quote:
Rika: "おはよございますなのです!"

Adorable
And every once in a while, Dark Rika would come out instead.

Quote:
Satoko (while crying): "おきてる! おきてるよ、にいにい!"

Of course, that'd just make me wanna break the clock
起きてる means "I'm up/awake". ^^;

I'd imagine Satoko's call to be something like:
「にーにー、いつまで寝るつもりですの? もう朝ですよ? 早く起きてくださいませー」
Old 2006-08-18, 00:44   Link #35
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
"I found you" is probably not a very appropriate phrase for a wake up call. I admit it'll probably wake you up good though. ^^;
Well, what was going on in my head was Rena looking for you while you're sleeping, and then finding you and saying that. It made sense to in my head

Quote:
起きてる means "I'm up/awake". ^^;
Ah, my bad

Alternate alarm for Rena/Mion:

Mion: おい! 既に正午わよ!
Rena: うそだ!!!
Old 2006-08-18, 09:18   Link #36
Varion
殲滅天使

Ooh yeah, and they talk. Forgot to mention that. It'll be hard thinking up something for them to say that you won't get sick of though, but will make you want to get out of bed (Rika's Nipa~ sound would probably make you want to go back to sleep again). 4chan seems to be coming up with some great suggestions xD "I would kill for an 'USO DA!' alarm that, when you smacked the snooze button, reverted to repeating 'gomenasai!' over and over again."

Still, much as I'd love one, 7140 Yen plus various shipping and deputy costs is pretty hard to justify for a clock, even considering the fact it's limited, (I think they stop the Rena/Mion one in November and the Rika/Satoko on the 10th October) I'm getting the DVDs anyway, I could use a new clock, and uh... it's Rika and Satoko! If anyone actually has the money to buy one let us know though

Last edited by Varion; 2006-08-18 at 09:32.
Old 2006-08-18, 09:27   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Rika's Nipa~ sound would probably make you want to go back to sleep again
Actually, i wouldn't even use that for an alarm clock - i'd just be setting it of every five minutes to hear the cutest phrase ever said. :3
Old 2006-08-18, 10:39   Link #38
Gains
Rain lover

What I want to hear is that when Mion failed to wake you up, Shion will do her laugh. I'll certainly buy that one.
Old 2006-08-18, 11:21   Link #39
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
By the way, those are voice alarm clocks.

I can imagine what Rika or Satoko's morning call would be like, but Rena and Mion's are a little harder...

Maybe something like 「........朝だッ!!」 (It's morning!!). You'd wake up to a heart attack.
Oh god, you reminded me of one of the alarms I have on my phone. o__O; Especially the "heart attack" comment...

Waking up to 「 嘘だっ!嘘だっ!嘘だっ!嘘だっ!」certainly is not very good for the heart, but I will say very effective... as well as some evil laughter from Shion in Watanagashi's version of the Rika stab-stab (as now I can say with proof that was Shion and not Mion <3, yay~).

Old 2006-08-18, 12:49   Link #40
LostBlue
祭囃子

dude... just imagine a Takanon alarm clock. I don't care what she says, I probably won't go back to sleep for awhile. ^^;;;;

Also I could imagine the Rena one... if she fails to wake you up go "Hau~ Negao, Kaiii Omochikaeri~ "

Sushi-Y,
Not only will Dark Rika come out every so often, she will kindly give you your forturne, like tell you how many minutes you have left to live. ^^;;; uwa~ kowa~
Then revert back to Nipa~

And finally, Alarm Clock C (Shii) version won't say anything. Zap!

These Higurashi Alarm clocks might be the most effective alarm clocks ever
Closed Thread