AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-03-18, 12:08   Link #61
eLstar
(^_^)v

Puh-leeze, you know I'm right. Don't even try and deny it by laughing it off.

Also...YOU'RE GOING DOWN FLYERS!
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 18:04   Link #62
Hoshi_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
Puh-leeze, you know I'm right. Don't even try and deny it by laughing it off.
whats there to deny? im not into messing with peoples heads, im not smart enough
------------------------------------------------------------------------

canucks vs. stars @5:30
pay-per-view... bleh <_<
go canucks go ^__^
Hoshi_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 18:18   Link #63
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

The Avs are three points behind Detroit for first place in the Western Conference. We play the Senators tonight, let's go Avs! ~.^

Dranz: it'll be tough for the Leafs to pull a victory tonight :P
Old 2004-03-19, 05:37   Link #64
Iron Monkey

Yes! Flames win again! 2-0 over the Blue Jackets. Unbeaten in 7. Awesome. Kipper's carrying this team to their first playoff berth in 8 years. I say, bring on the Preds this Saturday.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 23:23   Link #65
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Spoiler:

What happened? Where did our offensive power go? Kariya? Sakic? Hedjuk?

/me sobs
Old 2004-03-21, 00:45   Link #66
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
Hate to say this guys......as a New Zealander who was brought up on Rugby Union...HOCKEY SUCKS......oh hang on, are we talking about grass hockey or ice hockey here???

Okay, let me reword that....that only thing I like about ICE hockey is when people start fights and because they are so padded up it looks hilarious....

EDIT 22.03.2004 - Although, I must say, that hockey takes a heap of coordination...those goalies have to have pretty good reflexes and stuff too...

Last edited by Sexy-no-Jutsu; 2004-03-21 at 23:25.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 23:16   Link #67
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy-no-Jutsu
Hate to say this guys......as a New Zealander who was brought up on Rugby Union...HOCKEY SUCKS......oh hang on, are we talking about grass hockey or ice hockey here???

Okay, let me reword that....that only thing I like about ICE hockey is when people start fights and because they are so padded up it looks hilarious....
Well...everyone has their own preference/aversion to sports. You don't like it? That's fine, and I won't say anything else. Anyways I just saw MIGHTY DUCKS vs RED WINGS game:
Spoiler:
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 05:13   Link #68
Iron Monkey

Just like to revive this thread and say, GO FLAMES GO!!! Finally, after 7 years of missing the playoffs, the Flames have officially clinched a playoff spot tonight with their win over the Coyotes. My boys Iggy and Kipper came up big tonight. I say, bring on Vancouver or Colorado!
Old 2004-04-04, 10:53   Link #69
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Just like to revive this thread and say, GO FLAMES GO!!! Finally, after 7 years of missing the playoffs, the Flames have officially clinched a playoff spot tonight with their win over the Coyotes. My boys Iggy and Kipper came up big tonight. I say, bring on Vancouver or Colorado!
Vancouver is going into the playoffs with a 6 game winning streak =P
They face off against Calgary first. This should make for a good series since they've both been doing pretty well lately.
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 22:12   Link #70
Iron Monkey

Welp, time for my playoff predictions. Yes, they WILL be biased, and yes, a part of it will be how I hope the series goes, and a part how I think will happen. Here goes:

Eastern Conference:

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders
Prediction: I really like how St. Louis and Lecavalier are playing this year (damn you St. Louis, why did you not blossom when u were with the Flames?). Anyways, Tampa is solid this year. I say the Lightning in 5.

Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens
Prediction: Even though Montreal had a horrible stretch rounding out the regular season, I don't know about Raycroft in the playoffs. He's still just a rookie, albeit a very good rookie. I see goaltending as the deciding factor in this series, and I choose Theodore over Raycroft. I say Canadiens in 7.

Philadelphia Flyers vs. New Jersey Devils
Prediction: I'm thinking Brodeur, the most reliable goaltender of all time IMO, will step it up again for the Devils. Burke is too inconsistent for my liking, and Gomez is on a tear. The Devils in 6.

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators
Prediction: Although I would LOVE to say the Sens in 4, honestly, with their shaky goaltending and the disappearance act of most of their scoring in the post season, I'm seeing the Leafs as the stronger team. The Sens better hope Lalime comes back quick, because I don't think Prusek's that good a goalie. If Belfour can stay healthy the rest of the way, I'm going with the Leafs in 7.

Western Conference:

Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators
Prediction: Nashville's first post season appearance in franchise history will probably be their shortest. Detroit's not going to let what happened to them last year happen again. And Legace is a reliable backup if Joseph falters in the first couple of games. I think Vochoun is tired from playing so many games. He's shown that he's not always in top form. I'm seeing the Red Wings sweeping this in 4.

San Jose Sharks vs. St. Louis Blues
Prediction: I like how St. Louis has played the last few games. I still think they are talented, but just underacheiving. The Sharks, on the other hand, I see as overacheiving this season. Even though Osgood has been rather inconsistent, I think Nabokov is the same. I think this is going the full lenth. St. Louis in 7.

Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames
Precition: (and trust me, this is going to be biased) I think a lot of Canucks fans are underestimating the Flames. They have one of the best goaltending tandems in the NHL with Kipper and Turek. And who knows how good Iggy's going to be in the playoffs? Vancouver's without Bertuzzi, and Naslund has been known to disappear in the playoffs. Cloutier has shown time and time again that he's not a playoff goalie, even if he is riding a hot streak into the playoffs. My prediction (and my wish) Calgary in 6.

Colorado Avalanche vs. Dallas Stars
Prediction: I think the Stars are still one of the premier teams in the West. I was really glad the Flames weren't playing them the first round. Aebischer is too inconsistent for my liking, and Salo has not been the same since he let in that crappy goal from Belarus. The Stars, on the other hand, have Turco, who should be pretty well rested after his bonehead 4 game suspension. I see Dallas taking it in 6.

And so, those are my predictions. We'll see how they pan out as the first round starts next Wednesday. Playoff hockey is always awesome, and this year it's gonna be sweeter, just cuz the Flames finally made it back to the big dance.
Old 2004-04-04, 22:26   Link #71
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators
Prediction: Although I would LOVE to say the Sens in 4, honestly, with their shaky goaltending and the disappearance act of most of their scoring in the post season, I'm seeing the Leafs as the stronger team. The Sens better hope Lalime comes back quick, because I don't think Prusek's that good a goalie. If Belfour can stay healthy the rest of the way, I'm going with the Leafs in 7.
Well Sens have never really had any good experiences with the Leafs in the playoffs in the past and I don't think this will change. I mean the Leafs seem to be finally getting it together and probably have more then enough confidence to take down the Sens knowing their history with each other and the slaughter they gave to them just the other day. I have no doubt that the Leafs will win in at least 6.
Old 2004-04-04, 22:32   Link #72
Drunken_Boxer
o.0

Send a message via MSN to Drunken_Boxer
/ahem

Go Habs Go!

another boston and montreal game. oh geez, 2 of the original six playin in the playoffs. i see alot of scraps and a heavy duty game here.

actually i believe this playoff year will be very good.

my predictions for teh stanley cup winner?

anyone but Toronto and Detroit. anyone.
Drunken_Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 00:09   Link #73
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

yo anyone know if it's true that they banned Maple Leaf jerseys in the Ottawa Sens' arena? damn senators....

Toronto has stellar chances this year of taking it... they best not mess up though or I will lose all hope... it's been too damn long and they're basically Toronto's only winning professional team in this current season of professional sports... the raptors are basically gone..... and who cares about baseball and the cfl.... so basically... I am rooting for the Leafs to win so that I can party downtown....
Old 2004-04-05, 00:13   Link #74
trowachess
Captain Chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
The Avs are currently 4 points ahead of the Canucks in the northwest division. Looks like we'll clinch the division title for sure now that (Todd) Bertuzzi has been suspended for the rest of the season. Tommorow's game against the Coyotes "should" be an easy one.

Spoiler:
Now who won the Northwest Division? Go Canucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Nice speech by Steve Moore....NOT!
trowachess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 00:31   Link #75
Iron Monkey

I'm just hoping that 6-0 whipping from the Leafs will spark something in the Sens to pick up their game for the playoffs. Otherwise, this could get ugly. I still think the Leafs have a shaky defence core, which has gotten a bit better with the addition of Leetch. Still, Belfour's gonna have to stand on his head again if the Leafs want to win. I hate to say it, but it looks like whoever's got the hot goaltender will go the farthest. I've never seen a cup won with only average goaltending.
Old 2004-04-05, 02:43   Link #76
trowachess
Captain Chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
I'm just hoping that 6-0 whipping from the Leafs will spark something in the Sens to pick up their game for the playoffs. Otherwise, this could get ugly. I still think the Leafs have a shaky defence core, which has gotten a bit better with the addition of Leetch. Still, Belfour's gonna have to stand on his head again if the Leafs want to win. I hate to say it, but it looks like whoever's got the hot goaltender will go the farthest. I've never seen a cup won with only average goaltending.
I agree with your statement. Look at the Ducks last year, they went all the way with the Hot Goaltending of Gigure. Looks like Brodeur may bring the Devils another cup this year. But hey, Cloutier is on a hot streak right now. I can only hope it lasts for the whole playoffs.
trowachess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 12:05   Link #77
GungFuFury
hungry hungry hippo

Send a message via AIM to GungFuFury
i think that the leafs and senators are gonna beat the crap outta eachother in that series... and as far as burke is concerned.... hes gonna step it up during the finals as well this year... the flyers have been kickin jersey's butt all year round... and now that everyone is back from their injuries... they are goin to wreak havoc like they did in the beginning of this season...
GungFuFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 20:27   Link #78
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
yo anyone know if it's true that they banned Maple Leaf jerseys in the Ottawa Sens' arena? damn senators....

Toronto has stellar chances this year of taking it... they best not mess up though or I will lose all hope... it's been too damn long and they're basically Toronto's only winning professional team in this current season of professional sports... the raptors are basically gone..... and who cares about baseball and the cfl.... so basically... I am rooting for the Leafs to win so that I can party downtown....
Yeah it's true. But I'm not that angry. How would you like it if half the crowd was cheering for the away team?

Besides, it's not BANNED entirely. You just have to pay for it by bring a bag of cans of Chef Boyardee or something, which will be given to those in need. I think that's pretty generous of them, but what would be even more generous is to stop giving these players millions of dollars and use a lot of the salary to help those with most need.

p.s. Statistically speaking, Raptors could STILL get in the playoffs. It won't happen but it's still possible.

///_^
Old 2004-04-09, 02:19   Link #79
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

since raptors lost to the pacers... they can pretty much say peace out to the playoffs... and one more thing...... damn you ottawa senators.....!
Old 2004-04-21, 02:23   Link #80
Iron Monkey

Well, I'm back to revive this thread for an exciting second round in the playoffs. Just a quick note on my earlier predictions:

Eastern Conference:

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders:
Ah, I got this one right. The Lightning in 5. This series showed once again that St. Louis is a playoff performer, scoring very important goals. I'm a little surprised Khabibulin is doing as well as he is. I see the Lightning going pretty deep in this year's playoffs.

Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens:
Hmm, I got this one right too, Canadiens in 7. It was looking a little hairy in the beginning, but what I didn't predict was the great play of Raycroft. He didn't lose this series for Boston, most of their team did it. They had a glorious chance to end it 3 times, and all 3 times they weren't able to. Give Kovalev some credit. I think he rebounded pretty good after the Souray collision. Good for him.

Philadelphia Flyers vs. New Jersey Devils:
I was totally off on this one. Looks like Esche totally outplayed the veteran Brodeur. Damn, and I had Brodeur in my pool too.

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators:
Hmm, I was pretty good with the Eastern predictions. I also got this one, Leafs in 7. Belfour won this one for T.O., and Lalime lost it for the Sens. Those two Nieuwendyk goals should never have gone in.

Western Conference:

Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators:
I underestimated the Preds in this one. Kudos to them for winning 2 games. I think Detroit took them too lightly the first few games, but when the going got tough, they showed why they are the number one team in hockey.

San Jose Sharks vs. St. Louis Blues:
Boy, did I ever drop the ball on this one. After watching this series, I'm convinced the Sharks have one of the best teams in the post season. They have unbelievable team chemistry. I think they'll possibly come out as the Western Conference champions.

Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames:
Ah, IMO, THE best series in the first round. (heh, yes, I'm biased). I had to admit, I had my doubts when Cooke scored with 5 seconds left to send game 7 to overtime. But I'll give my Flames credit. They were able to battle back and score. My boy Iggy is emerging as a pretty good playoff performer, and I'm glad nothing seems to rattle Kipper, not even a bad game. All I can say is, what a great time it is to be a Flames fan!

Colorado Avalanche vs. Dallas Stars:
Like the Sharks/Blues series, I totally dropped the ball on this one. I guess it's my own fault for doubting that the Av's top players will step it up. I say, I'm glad the Stars were eliminated. Take that Turco! (heh heh)

So, after the first round, I'm 5-3. I'll give the second round matchups a thought, and be back with predictions tomorrow.

Tags
2010, hockey, nhl, playoffs, stanley cup