AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 55 44.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 12.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.81%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-29, 19:00   Link #21
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Just finished the episode and it's nice to see they're following the Novels fatefully.

Also Drunk Horo is moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Though we are talking about Lawrence. Even though the guy isn't a bad merchant, but may be too much to expect him to think calmly.
We'll see

Last edited by Sterling01; 2008-01-29 at 19:26.
Old 2008-01-29, 19:21   Link #22
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Spoiler for Food for thought:

Grr need sub now^^ How long after release is BSS sub?
Old 2008-01-29, 19:43   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity85 View Post
Spoiler for Food for thought:

Grr need sub now^^ How long after release is BSS sub?
Spoiler for Ep67:
Well if they hold true to form will probably show up in about 9 hours give or take things that happen while subbing. Really quick so always appreciate the effort they give.
Old 2008-01-29, 20:05   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It... will.. be.. out... when they release it. It may take longer than average, it may be faster than average. With only 3 eps to go by, its hard to call anything an "average" yet. Fansub==hobby, not a job, eh?
Old 2008-01-29, 20:29   Link #25
kari-no-sugata

Another great episode, but what a change of pace!

As a side note, I noticed that Lawrence promised Horo a new set of clothes. I guess this is where her style in the OP comes from. I hope the old ones don't become blood-stained

PS I didn't pick up exactly what was the *actual* money making scheme being used with the currency reducing in value.
Old 2008-01-29, 20:35   Link #26
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It... will.. be.. out... when they release it. It may take longer than average, it may be faster than average. With only 3 eps to go by, its hard to call anything an "average" yet. Fansub==hobby, not a job, eh?
aw don't be mad Vexx (not that I think you are^^) I know it will be out when its out^^ just curious how fast they were with last eps cause I've seen fast subs that come out same day (usually bad quality) and ones that take weeks and tend to fall behind raw release^^ Just impaitent and yet not impaitent (want it now but not at a sacrifice of quality)

Back on topic. It seems like its gonna be another agonizing long week for are next ep^^
Old 2008-01-29, 21:24   Link #27
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Spoiler:
Given how she like to tease Lawrence, it's more like she wants to get Lawrence running scare and came to her rescue like a Knight in shininh armour. You'll see in the next episode.

Quote:
Spoiler:
She had already had a clear despise for the villagers. It's not really a surprise that one of them will betray her.
Old 2008-01-29, 21:39   Link #28
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Given how she like to tease Lawrence, it's more like she wants to get Lawrence running scare and came to her rescue like a Knight in shining armour. You'll see in the next episode.
Spoiler:
Quote:
She had already had a clear despise for the villagers. It's not really a surprise that one of them will betray her.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-29, 22:07   Link #29
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I loved the change of pace. Its also good to see how well the anime is following the manga.
Old 2008-01-29, 22:30   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity85 View Post
aw don't be mad Vexx (not that I think you are^^) I know it will be out when its out^^ just curious how fast they were with last eps cause I've seen fast subs that come out same day (usually bad quality) and ones that take weeks and tend to fall behind raw release^^ Just impaitent and yet not impaitent (want it now but not at a sacrifice of quality)

Back on topic. It seems like its gonna be another agonizing long week for are next ep^^
No, not mad (though I did pull out my 'standard aggravated reply' to that sort of question). I'm spinning around in impatience myself.

I've seen a few indications, reviews, and analyses that many of the sub groups are "not quite getting it right" in terms of Horo's dialog and speech patterns. We've established she uses a dialect remindful of an "18th C. Edo courtesan (pleasure girl)" ... but translating that into subtitles that give the viewer that feeling is quite tough.

Something elegant but erotic is needed ... now which *words* would one use to convey that?

Much sympathies for the translators, editors, and QC people in the various subgroups trying to capture that.
Old 2008-01-29, 22:43   Link #31
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Ya I know waiting is tough but a well done sub is worth it^^ Its all good in the end^^ The subs are doing a great with the trans for Horo's unique yet perfect language^^ Bite the bullet and wait right :P
Old 2008-01-30, 00:56   Link #32
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Another enjoyable episode. Horo's sadness. The intensity in the circumstances: capture, no-one really on their side, betrayal by the people she had supported for hundreds of years, possible death and resurrection, wolf growl.

I have some respect and sympathy for Lawrence. He thinks pretty quickly, and he is actually in love with Horo -- why else would he (appear to?) give up his dream so easily. And I enjoyed seeing them in bed together, and the way he gritted his teeth in momentary self-restraint and then embraced her.

Of course the thing that is really special about this show is Koshimizu Ami. Once again, she just takes over when she starts to speak. And especially when she cries. I know of no seiyuu who cries better.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-01-30, 01:47   Link #33
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Oh the emotional twists and turns this episode encompassed. The action too. Definitely a 9. Feel like I could watch an hour of that.
Old 2008-01-30, 03:28   Link #34
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankel View Post
Can anyone please clarify if Horo means "whore" in Finnish?
I should have seen this coming ...Yes, it does mean that in "spoken language"... I don't know how widely it's used in here, though, haven't heard it while... In kaannos.com "horo" is translated as "skanky"...
Old 2008-01-30, 03:51   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone View Post
I should have seen this coming ...Yes, it does mean that in "spoken language"... I don't know how widely it's used in here, though, haven't heard it while... In kaannos.com "horo" is translated as "skanky"...
And I've discovered that it apparently means "wolf" in the ancient Ainu tongue of Japan (i've only found one reference in an IMDB review though... still seeking solid confirmation) -- (see my previous post on it)

Sometimes in linguistics, just because something *sounds* like a word in another language - doesn't mean anything.

And in contradiction to romaji spelling rules, one of the Mediaworks image designers spelled it "Holo" and there's an ongoing Wiki dispute about whether its "Horo" or "Holo" (even though, again, "lo" isn't one of the romaji choices)

I'm betting the author used the Ainu word (Ainu being subversively cool and a bit anti-establishment to the Official Reality in Japan ).

edit: Here's an interesting bit I found ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiji Modernization, Scientific Agriculture, and the Destruction of Japan's Hokkaido Wolf
For regional variations on this Ainu creation myth, see Sarashina Genzo and Sarashina Ko, Kotan seibutsuki: Yaju-kaiu-gyozoku hen (A biological chronicle of Ainu villages: Volume on terrestrial animals, marine mammals, and fishes) (Tokyo: Hosei Daigaku Shuppankyoku, 1976), 2: 291-92. An English version of this story can be found in Carl Etter, Ainu Folklore: Traditions and Culture of the Vanishing Aborigines of Japan (Chicago: Wilcox & Follett Co., 1949), 20-21. Interestingly, John Batchelor rejected this origin myth, saying that it was not a traditional Ainu tale. Some critics of the Japanese settlement of Hokkaido claimed that, because the female wife of the wolf god was often depicted or described as a Japanese court lady, that Japanese trumped up the story to place Ainu in a subordinate position to themselves, as children of the Japanese.
That fits right in with her "Edo courtesan" dialect choice and the wolf was the protective guardian spirit of the Ainu.

These two Ainu legends may also be of interest:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/safl/safl10.htm (THE LEGEND OF HOW THE YOUNGER SISTER OF THE WOLF-GOD WAS GIVEN TO ME (to wife.))
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/safl/safl08.htm (THE LEGEND OF THE LADY OF KUNNEPET. A LEGEND OF LOVE AND WAR.)

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-30 at 04:05.
Old 2008-01-30, 13:12   Link #36
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Ok I've been slowly working my way through the generic thread (I usually always do this even after a fourm is made or exist, its fun read^^) After reading through pages 40-44 I'm now kinda confused to something... where are we anime --> novel wise? I thought I read we were at volume 4 but from what I read..

Spoiler for Semi hint to future eps:

Can some clarify this cause if we are still in 1 then things set up nice for more seasons^^

Spoiler for Season potential:

Any thoughts^^
Old 2008-01-30, 14:06   Link #37
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Thanks to the summaries from the first page, this made much more sense

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-01-30, 15:40   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye,,,, I'm definitely up for that sort of ending. Though I think perhaps the both of you should spoiler tag that discussion....
Old 2008-01-30, 16:25   Link #39
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Certainly not an ending I would be against.
Old 2008-01-30, 17:00   Link #40
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Ya I think that be the most excepted ending for season 1 (lol) It sets up their relationship but leaves room for more to come^^

Still a little confused still about novel but I get the gists, thanks^^ I'll poke around when I get home from work.