AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-09-22, 12:36   Link #1
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Could you please create a group...

that has all the normal access of a regular member, but doesn't have access to the Naruto forum. Just like I cannot see posts in the Mod forum when I click on New Posts, I would like to not be able to see posts in the Naruto forum and I think this would be the easiest way to do this. I am really sick of those asshats posting spoilers in the thread titles. It is to bad that I won't be able to see the video game thread any more, but the mods in the Naruto forum don't seem to be able to keep things under control there.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 14:01   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
[Could you please create a group] that has all the normal access of a regular member, but doesn't have access to the Naruto forum.
Doing exactly that would be up to GHDpro or xris. It might be that there are other ways you can avoid posts in that forum that you've not considered yet... I don't know if anyone has given it any thought yet though. Anyway; I don't want to second guess GHDpro's or xris's response, so I'll say no more on that.

With regard to the moderators on the Naruto forum, however, I can comment. Unfortunately it's that time of year when people go back to school or collage or whatever; people's commitments change. For the next while at least, two of the moderators who were most active in the Naruto forum are and will be less so. We've not decided how we're going to manage this yet but if things on the forum need to change to cope, they will.

In the mean time; you could report threads that have spoilers in the titles... ok it doesn't help you now as you've already read them; but at least it would bring it to the attention of all the moderators (not just those in that forum). I don't keep up with Naruto, so I don't always know what is and is not a spoiler -- I (we?) rely heavily on the mods in that forum and on a few members who do watch out for these things. If you report it, we'll deal with it. If we see repeat offenders we'll normally do something about them too.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 15:01   Link #3
7thMethuselah

There is a different solution to your problem.

When you log in to animesuki forums, goto the naruto subforums first. At the top of the page there is the "Forum Tools" button. Press it and choose the "mark forum read".
Now all posts in the Naruto forum are considered read and you can safely press the "new posts" option.

The only thing you need to do is keep you eyes a bit closed so you won't read the titles when entering the Naruto forum. This shouldn't be to hard since all the top posts are stickies, the actual posts only start at the lower third of the screen, while the quick links are completely at the top.

Hope this helps ....

EDIT :It's forum tools button, not quick links, sorry !
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 16:57   Link #4
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
that has all the normal access of a regular member, but doesn't have access to the Naruto forum. Just like I cannot see posts in the Mod forum when I click on New Posts, I would like to not be able to see posts in the Naruto forum and I think this would be the easiest way to do this. I am really sick of those asshats posting spoilers in the thread titles. It is to bad that I won't be able to see the video game thread any more, but the mods in the Naruto forum don't seem to be able to keep things under control there.

I believe you are referring to this?

Quote:
Poll: Has Naruto actually mastered the Rasengan? [Anime] ( 1 2 3 )
it isnt exactly a spoiler because it is mentioned in the anime, (hence the [anime])

solutions:

dont use new posts ( thanks for alerting me to that button. i never knew it existed)

2) watch all of naruto

3) read all of naruto
-- however Vis is a bit behind the anime

4) or you could just stop watching. (thats what im doing )
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 17:10   Link #5
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

7thMethuselah, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
I believe you are referring to this?

Quote:
Poll: Has Naruto actually mastered the Rasengan? [Anime] ( 1 2 3 )
it isnt exactly a spoiler because it is mentioned in the anime, (hence the [anime])
Heh, that's not it. It was actually from a few days ago. You would know it if you saw it. The mods took care of it yesterday (I think) after it was up for a few days.

Quote:
solutions:

dont use new posts ( thanks for alerting me to that button. i never knew it existed)

2) watch all of naruto

3) read all of naruto
-- however Vis is a bit behind the anime

4) or you could just stop watching. (thats what im doing )
Heh, my girlfriend would kill me if I didn't give her her Naruto fix every week

Re: New Posts button, it is a great way to brows the forums. Once I found it I never went back. You can look at all the new posts with one click, and not have to navigate all over the place. Even after a weekend, it is only like 10 pages of posts to look through so it goes really fast.

P.S. I would like to apologies to the mods of the Naruto forum for that little swipe I took at them. I was just a little frustrated. Sorry.
Old 2004-09-22, 20:53   Link #6
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I stop watching naruto after the zabusa saga ended. Ill wait for the 4kids version "nate and the fantastic nijas" to catch up no really, It was too long. With some luck a latinamerica licencing company will take it and put in on CN unedited like they did with sakura card captors, if we are unlucky then well get the watered down version like we did with inuyasha T_T (that stupid brown blood was the most annoying thing, USA censorship goes beyond ridicule from what Ive read, and Inyusha's editing was actually nice afaik O_o I cant even start to imagine other series)

wow, I went terribly , is the "naruto" effect I suppose, well my real question was regarding groups! what are they? are they any good? can I make one? can I join one? I have never seen anyone who belongs to any group, so Im very curious.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 00:30   Link #7
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

the naruto group would be a group of members on this forum

now there are

"administrators"
"Moderators"
and "Members" ( i think that is it..)
oh. and

"Banned"

durrem wants another group that will not have access to the Naruto forum (because they post nonsensical shit, with spoilers in the titles)

just like the admin/mods can acces a moderator section, but we cant.
Old 2004-09-23, 10:49   Link #8
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
is really that? Im referring to that title in the profile, lets take for example NightWish's, its said there that hes not a member of any public groups. Im talking about those groups.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 13:01   Link #9
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
the naruto group would be a group of members on this forum

now there are

"administrators"
"Moderators"
and "Members" ( i think that is it..)
oh. and

"Banned"
Lol

Quote:
durrem wants another group that will not have access to the Naruto forum (because they post nonsensical shit, with spoilers in the titles)

just like the admin/mods can acces a moderator section, but we cant.
Thank you for putting it so simply. I wish I were so eloquent as to be able to convey stuff so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
is really that? Im referring to that title in the profile, lets take for example NightWish's, its said there that hes not a member of any public groups. Im talking about those groups.
Hmm, I think those types of groups may convey extra access, say, to a restricted forum, but the mods would have to set up something like that. This is just conjecture, as I don't really know much about the board's software. It did get me to thinking, though. If the mods were to set up a group that didn't have access to the Naruto forum, would that mean that there would have to be some default restriction placed on the Naruto forum? Would this mean that guests wouldn't be able to access the Naruto forum without registering? This would lead to more Naruto fans registering...
Old 2004-09-23, 13:18   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
public groups = yahoo, icq, ect.

non-animesuki related junk. check your profile., change your AIM name (even if you dont have one), then check your profile. your public groups will change

EDIT: wait, im probably wrong.
Old 2004-09-23, 13:31   Link #11
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
EDIT: wait, im probably wrong.
You are We don't use the public groups feature, so no one is a member of one. We've yet to find a good reason to use them; only private groups have had their uses thus far.

What durrem is requesting is possible: it's just configuration -- not a software change. It can even be set up to allow members to add and remove themselves without Moderator intervention. It's a little work initially and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but as I said before it's down to what the Administrators want to do.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 15:39   Link #12
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
What durrem is requesting is possible: it's just configuration -- not a software change. It can even be set up to allow members to add and remove themselves without Moderator intervention. It's a little work initially and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but as I said before it's down to what the Administrators want to do.
I personally see no point for public groups. We have the forums leaders page on the main entrance page that separates the Moderators, Super Moderators, and the Administrators (and I do believe they do tell who moderates what forum/forums). Those are basically the groups, and besides don't you need to be a staff member to be in a group usually?
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 16:28   Link #13
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I personally see no point for public groups.
are we thinking of the same public groups? what are they exactly?
Old 2004-09-23, 17:32   Link #14
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I suppose we could have a public Naruto Fan group that allows people to view the Naruto forum. All our members would begin as members of this group, but have the ability to remove themselves from it on their own. If they change their minds they could then choose to add themselves back into the group.

If we could do that, it would be harmless and easy enough to deal with.

It's just weird that Naruto forum is the only one that would get this bizarre treatment. Will people start wanting any other forums to be their own groups?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 18:02   Link #15
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It's just weird that Naruto forum is the only one that would get this bizarre treatment. Will people start wanting any other forums to be their own groups?
I think so

All it takes is that first step...whether it be big or small...

but if you're able to do that for only the Naruto forum...is there a way to pick and choose which forums you want to view?

What i mean is that like you said...as default you're able to view the Naruto forum and you can take yourself out and add yourself in whenever you choose...is there the option to make this available to all forums...so we can just check/uncheck which forums we want to view?
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 18:15   Link #16
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
I think so

but if you're able to do that for only the Naruto forum...is there a way to pick and choose which forums you want to view?

What i mean is that like you said...as default you're able to view the Naruto forum and you can take yourself out and add yourself in whenever you choose...is there the option to make this available to all forums...so we can just check/uncheck which forums we want to view?
Hmm, that does seem like an interesting way to run this forum... I don't know if the mods want to chop things up like that, on principle. I can see where they would have some reservations about that. Maybe only for series specific groups... but they would have to make a new group every time a new series forum is created (or moved?).

Regarding NSW's idea about a how to do the Naruto group, would guests still be able to see the forum without a hassle?
Old 2004-09-24, 00:50   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
I think so

AFAIK that would be a lot of work since the Admins have to predefine the groups because you cannot check/uncheck the Forums you don't want. Let's say there are the Subforums A - Z. If you want to view J, X and Z only, the Admin must create a group that has access to J, X and Z only. Since there are nearly unlimited combinations it would be nearly impossible to implement that although you could try and bribe NSW...
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-24, 03:05   Link #18
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
. Since there are nearly unlimited combinations it would be nearly impossible to implement that although you could try and bribe NSW...
but this is a naruto- only group... ... ... i dont really see why to do that for any other forum.
Old 2004-09-24, 18:19   Link #19
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
AFAIK that would be a lot of work since the Admins have to predefine the groups because you cannot check/uncheck the Forums you don't want. Let's say there are the Subforums A - Z. If you want to view J, X and Z only, the Admin must create a group that has access to J, X and Z only. Since there are nearly unlimited combinations it would be nearly impossible to implement that although you could try and bribe NSW...
Lol, nah...i don't mind being able to see all the forums...it was just my curiosity kicking in

Quote:
but this is a naruto- only group... ... ... i dont really see why to do that for any other forum.
Well...if they do it to the Naruto forum...then there's bound to be people who'll want that to be done to the fma forum...and/or other forums....

It's the whole thing where if you make an exception to one thing then people will ask to make exceptions to others...and it'll be a never ending story
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-25, 15:25   Link #20
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Well...if they do it to the Naruto forum...then there's bound to be people who'll want that to be done to the fma forum...and/or other forums....
so you make groups that are unable to see either one of the series forums. and leave it at that.

are there any other forums that would need that kind of censorship?

i believe that the naruto forum has... err... needs the most editing.