AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 166 75.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 10.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 4.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.36%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.73%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-26, 10:55   Link #241
Azuma Denton
~AD~

So Tsukihi is considered the yandere of the series??

I've said on the merchandise thread before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Apparently Karen's tooth brush in on sale right now...
Read it on Yaraon but dunno if its true or not...
Well...
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-7541.html

A set of Karen's toothbrush for sale !!!
If you want to brush your little sister teeth...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 10:59   Link #242
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
You are wrong. Just go watch the crunchyroll ver.
The poster you quoted is inferring to the context rather than what exactly been said verbatim. If you listen to what Karen is saying along with the visual, more or less the implication was what that poster said. Now whether or not I would define it with a strong term such as "sexism"... well that can vary from person to person. It's like trying to define racism, or discrimination, or any such terms which evoke strong sense of negative emotion. Anyway, let's leave it at that.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 10:59   Link #243
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
不死身 (fujimi) can mean also indestructible, instead of immortal (from the subs), but neither fits the greek phoenix (reborn from its ashes, ie destroyed and dead)
Phoenix is 不死鳥 in Japanese. Immortal bird. And if you really want to know 不死 also means "undead" Anyway, as with any myth there are several versions of it.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 10:59   Link #244
ellifeedn
Thinker

Ah yes, the toothbrush scene. The only thing I can think of that can make this hotter is if first the girl kisses the guy with chocolate lipstick and then they clean each other's mouths.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:06   Link #245
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Phoenix is 不死鳥 in Japanese. Immortal bird. And if you really want to know 不死 also means "undead" Anyway, as with any myth there are several versions of it.
no it means "can't died"
Old 2012-02-26, 11:09   Link #246
kamiyan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuAyu View Post
they could do all the incest-stuff they want, if Koyomi wasn't in a relationship with Senjougahara. therefore i don't like this episode.
and if Koyomi thinks Hanekawa is the best woman out there than he should date her. i'm really disappointed. poor Senjougahara ._.
me too, i don't like cheating even in fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
That's not necessarily true. Nisiosin is very clever in drawing the clear division that there is between admiration and love.
if you love someone is because she or he is the best man or woman for you in the world.

just registered to say that didn't like the episode as much as you do guys, i hope the other monogatari stories that need to be adapted don't rely that much on fanservice, I love Shaft to death but this was too much.
kamiyan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:13   Link #247
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
guys, actually 不死 can mean both immortal and undying, and technically speaking one does not exclude the other.

And it's quite interesting that the noun Koyomi used to introduce his sister shares is made up from the same kanji...

不死身 -> undying/immortal/indestructible (不死) person (身)
不死鳥 -> undying/immortal/indestructible (不死) bird (鳥)

For all the glorious still and improved character designs SHAFT and Watanabe added, nothing can even compare to the written source. I just love this writer
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:15   Link #248
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
o_o;

what did I just watch?
My reaction exactly.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:26   Link #249
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Aside from her brother saying it casually in the intro of the arc, she also survived passing through a door and a wall in her rush to get her siblings skewed
She seems to be a roadrunner rather than a phoenix .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:28   Link #250
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
That can't be true. I did not see Araragi brushing his own teeth, nor was anyone interested brushing his teeth for him. If I stay on that logic, I'd say Araragi was busy indulging himself as he labored to remove all of Karen-chan's plaque. It was a one sided affair.
It would be awfully nice if you could expand on this.

From my point of view, it looked like A) they both wanted it and B) they both got pleasure out of it.

At the end Karen even agrees "to do Koyomi's teeth this time". So in that sense I don't agree it was a one sided affair.

Of course I could be misunderstanding something here.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:29   Link #251
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post

Of course I could be misunderstanding something here.
You are!
Old 2012-02-26, 11:30   Link #252
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
no it means "can't died"
Anyway, EDICT says it also means "undead". Which was very fitting in Kizu, considered it was about vampires.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:32   Link #253
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
You are!
Well I guess it's OK then!
Old 2012-02-26, 11:35   Link #254
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Karen/Araragi didn't tickle my fancy as much as Araragi does with other chars, but I gotta admit, that toothbrush scene turned me on(yeah, I said it ). And I don't mean in the same hentai-fap fanservice-y sense either, I mean I could vividly feel the emotions and intimacy whirling between Karen and Araragi. In today's anime, you rarely get a scene like this without the show having to turn it into some ecchi fanservice crap.

Well, you could argue that it WAS fanservice, but I disagree. I consider fanservice to be a blatant attempt by one or more characters to showcase themselves in 'ecchi' situations. I did not get that feeling here at all. Neither Koyomi nor Karen knew what they were getting into, and that whole scene details how rational/logical thought can very easily be thrown out the window during strong emotional moments(e.g. lust). It really is quite ingenious =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:36   Link #255
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
Well I guess it's OK then!
Excellent.

I had a query that I forget to add when I watched the episode last night. Why is this poll wearing a skirt?

It happened right after Koyomi discovered Karen with skirt. I would be very delighted to read an answer that can make sense.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:37   Link #256
sirn
田舎者言うな

Please, please, please stop referring EDICT when doing translations. While it has some newer words or some slang often seen in anime/manga, it got a lot wrong (or wrong without context). Here's translations from Progressive:

Quote:
ふし【不死】
〔不滅〕immortality; 〔永生〕eternal life
派生語 不死の|immortal; imperishable

ふじみ【不死身】
Ⅰ. 〔体の〕
派生語 不死身の|〔死なない〕immortal; 〔傷つかない〕invulnerable
神は不死身だ|God is immortal. / God lives forever.
Ⅱ. 〔精神がくじけないこと〕
派生語 不死身の|⦅文語⦆ indomitable; unyielding
不死身の精神|an indomitable spirit
and from Daijisen:

Quote:
ふ‐し【不死】
いつまでも死なないこと。「不老—」

ふじ‐み【不死身・不仁身】
〘名•形動〙

不死であること。どんな病気•苦痛•傷•打撃にも耐えうるからだであること。また、そのからだやそのさま。 「—な(の)勇士」

どんな困難にもくじけないこと。また、その人やさま。「—な(の)精神」
which is definitely not "undead" (as in, zombies) but rather "can't die".
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 11:40   Link #257
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
My take was that this entire toothbrush game was meant to be viewed through barely-parted fingers.
Well, who knows. When I viewed the scene, I tried to think what was going on inside Koyomi's/Karen's head. Are they in it for real? Do they both want it? Etc. I never thought of it as an exercise primarily in humour. Maybe I'm just too interested (perhaps unhealthily so) in the characters' thoughts and motivations to have a laugh with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
It's the kind of thing you play for Malcolm MacDowell as you squeeze a dropper of fluid onto his pried-open eyes.
Strangely enough, I just watched A Clockwork Orange (for the Nth) time this morning. It must've been The Thieving Magpie that led me to it again In a sense, it's a perfect scene to condition someone (with purist morals, at least) against anything sexually deviant. Malcolm McDowell is one sexy beast in that movie, I might add.

Quote:
I had a query that I forget to add when I watched the episode last night. Why is this poll wearing a skirt?
Karen wearing a skirt is just as weird as a pole wearing one etc. A skirt on Karen looks just as misplaced as a skirt on a pole would. Given that Koyomi later wonders "Who is this pretty girl?", I'm led to believe that he hasn't seen Karen in a skirt... for a while at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's to represent the fact that the skirt seems too small for a girl as tall as her. And we confirmed that it wasn't hers later; she borrowed it from the other sister.
That works too

Last edited by zarqu; 2012-02-26 at 11:59.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:46   Link #258
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

It happened right after Koyomi discovered Karen with skirt. I would be very delighted to read an answer that can make sense.
It's to represent the fact that the skirt seems too small for a girl as tall as her. And we confirmed that it wasn't hers later; she borrowed it from the other sister.
Remember that she is taller than Araragi. Tall girls get teased in school somewhat. A Fujoshi explained to me that girls have an ideal height, and that they adjust accordingly using heels. One complaint about being too tall is that then they couldn't wear Heels.

I fail to see how body height can influence footwear options. But I guess I will never understand it as a man.
Old 2012-02-26, 11:46   Link #259
Hiro Hayase

After reading the comments it seems like the incest part made some people uncomfortable. It's like a cultural shock for some I guess. The incest theme is commonly found in Japanese literature and has been around for centuries.

For LN readers, it isn't much of a surprise, compared the anime only viewer. I personally prefer faithful adaptions than the anime studio conducting their own experiments with the anime.

The episode is probably more acceptable to a Japanese audience or someone familiar with Japanese customs, than an American or Western audience.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2012-02-26 at 12:06.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 12:03   Link #260
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I am so fucked up right now. I think I've lost it.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote