AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-07, 18:45   Link #2801
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Conservatism is a mindset, not a set of policies.

Modern Republicans are geared around a particular set of policies, and do not have a "conservative" mindset. In fact, they're downright Radical, they want to completely change the order of America to something that has before now not existed.

In fact, "Radicals" are the opposite of "Conservative", to be a "Radical Conservative" is an oxymoron.

America has it's definitions all messed up.

If you want to see actual conservative look at the British Conservative party, or the German Christian Democrats.

I'd actually call the Republicans radical liberals infused with a side of Reactionaries and Christianists (like Islamists, but Christian!).
Old 2012-11-07, 18:54   Link #2802
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just out of curiosity, how is "The Oregonian" as a news source (in political leaning and such)?
Old 2012-11-07, 18:54   Link #2803
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, a long string of "rape cultist GOPers" did go down, so to speak.

http://andrewvachss.tumblr.com/post/...-child-because

Akin, Mourdock, Rivard, Walsh, Smith, Koster, Ryan --- down in flames. A step in the other direction from the radical "Christianist" (heh.... there many who call them Dominionists but whatever)

New Jersey Gov. Christie (R) slices and dices Romney aides as "know-nothings" and "disgruntled"
http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-...es-148645.html

Republican strategist says its time to dump the loonies (my words):
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...54.html?hp=r10

Opinion on the Oregonian: Mostly Worthless. Its a shell of its former self and most goes with the "good old boy" sentiments of the area. If I actually want *investigative* journalism - I do better with the Willamette Weekly or even the Portland Tribune.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:58   Link #2804
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
figured I'd share this from a friend, though some disagreements are to be had, it's more or less on point about the Republicans.

Spoiler for long post:
To be honest, while I agree with his points, some of his arguments aren't that good.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:01   Link #2805
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
The problem is, once he shave us all those kooks and cultists, you end up with 3 voters, Jon Huntsman, and the three or four people who voted for him in Ohio.
Well, the problem is that the "moderate" conservatives are now all part of the Democratic Party. To be fair, you could argue that besides maybe FDR through Johnson, the Democratic Party has actually been more the "conservative" party, while the Republicans were the liberal party. After FDR, the Democrats expanded to include social liberals. Currently the moderate conservatives and social liberals are uneasy bedfellows while the opposition is dominated by radicals.

If the Republican party were to bite the dust, I could easily see the Democratic party splintering into conservative and social liberal halves. You could already see the fractures in the party when it was more powerful from 2008-2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A step in the other direction from the radical "Christianist" (heh.... there many who call them Dominionists but whatever)
Now I know the right word!
Old 2012-11-07, 19:04   Link #2806
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Conservatism is a mindset, not a set of policies.

Modern Republicans are geared around a particular set of policies, and do not have a "conservative" mindset. In fact, they're downright Radical, they want to completely change the order of America to something that has before now not existed.

In fact, "Radicals" are the opposite of "Conservative", to be a "Radical Conservative" is an oxymoron.

America has it's definitions all messed up.

If you want to see actual conservative look at the British Conservative party, or the German Christian Democrats.

I'd actually call the Republicans radical liberals infused with a side of Reactionaries and Christianists (like Islamists, but Christian!).
I agree DQ.
Many of the so called "conservatives" aren't really conservative in the literal definition of the word any more than so called "liberals" are actually Liberal.

I call them corporatists because what they preach reminds me a great deal of what Benito wrote about back in the 1930s.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:05   Link #2807
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Where in ANY of my posts did I state "I refuse to give respect to ____"?

I freaking hate when people put words in my mouth!
You said you agreed with Victoria Jackson or whatever her name is. She said that Evil won and America is dead. By your own words, you agreed with that. Therefore, you don't respect our choices. Why should we respect yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
If the Republican party were to bite the dust, I could easily see the Democratic party splintering into conservative and social liberal halves. You could already see the fractures in the party when it was more powerful from 2008-2010.
I wouldn't call it a splintering, per se. It's more likely the who kit and caboodle would reshuffle.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:08   Link #2808
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I agree DQ.
Many of the so called "conservatives" aren't really conservative in the literal definition of the word any more than so called "liberals" are actually Liberal.

I call them corporatists because what they preach reminds me a great deal of what Benito wrote about back in the 1930s.
Heh, sometimes I argue the Nolan chart should have three axes, adding one for something we could call 'corporatism'?, 'trans-nationals'? -- a power structure of unelected power cabals running things.

I drag out Mussolini as the sidestep of the Godwin rule, especially since he actually defined much of what the US is dealing with now.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:09   Link #2809
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Opinion on the Oregonian: Mostly Worthless. Its a shell of its former self and most goes with the "good old boy" sentiments of the area. If I actually want *investigative* journalism - I do better with the Willamette Weekly or even the Portland Tribune
Oh good, that the local Republicans wouldn't label it as a Obama supporting rag or something like that.

(I was using it for voting numbers in the state of Oregan to clarify things)

I was told that there was some voter fraud issues in Oregan with a claim that was reporting 5 million people voted when the state barely has 2 million registered voters.

In fact I'm getting a lot of claims of voters fraud over the voting machines being rigged to vote for Obama, and other claims of dead people voting Obama and the like.

Added to this are calls people to have to show ID to vote, and the question of "Why not have that, you have to have a ID by law anyway. If you say you don't, what are you suppose to say to the cop if he asks you for it?"

My responce was that it is considered illegal as long as you have to pay for a State ID as it is considered a poll tax.

The responce was to amend the Constitution to require ID to vote (The worry is that people are voting twice or the dead are voting....old Chicago tricks).

My response was that it would be simpiler if they just made State ID free in all the states, than it can't be considered a poll tax.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:10   Link #2810
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

Republican strategist says its time to dump the loonies (my words):
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...54.html?hp=r10
Look at some of the comments on that article. People think they lost the election because their platform is too 'moderate' and Romney is a RINO. They think that they can actually get more voters if they move even more to the right.

As long as a significant number of Republicans think, people like Limbaugh will still be leading the GOP.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:10   Link #2811
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

and y'all were worried....

Old 2012-11-07, 19:15   Link #2812
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
and y'all were worried....
He looks like he has a black eye.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:23   Link #2813
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was told that there was some voter fraud issues in Oregan with a claim that was reporting 5 million people voted when the state barely has 2 million registered voters.
The only "fraud" so far with any validity is an election office worker in one of our counties (in the metro area) who was "finishing" voter ballots with her own marks. She's fired, the DoJ is investigating and the whole office is under suspicion, and the officer isn't willing to meet with the county officials.

Quote:
In fact I'm getting a lot of claims of voters fraud over the voting machines being rigged to vote for Obama, and other claims of dead people voting Obama and the like.
In Oregon, we vote by mail. Is this somewhere else? We don't have polling stations or voting booths.

Quote:
My responce was that it is considered illegal as long as you have to pay for a State ID as it is considered a poll tax.
Good answer because that is the fact. Even the judges who are striking them down say that. Make the IDs free (i.e. paid out of the tax revenues and raise the taxation ), then we'll talk.

Here's a pretty good list of reasons why Romney actually lost (according to "the Internet" anyway).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-d...b_2087989.html

1. Personal extremism
2. Party extremism
3. His backers
4. Corporate interests
5. The 47%
6. The tax returns
7. Paul Ryan
8. Flip-flops and lies
9. Foreign Flubs
10. Fox News
11. Minorities
12. Women
13. Jobs
14. Health care
15. Gay marriage and rights

Explanations in the article
Old 2012-11-07, 19:24   Link #2814
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Look at some of the comments on that article. People think they lost the election because their platform is too 'moderate' and Romney is a RINO. They think that they can actually get more voters if they move even more to the right.

As long as a significant number of Republicans think, people like Limbaugh will still be leading the GOP.
If that turn out to be the case, then so be it. GOP will only condemn itself into perpetual irrelevancy, and someone else will end up take its place.

Parties have come and gone before, the GOP is no exception.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:26   Link #2815
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Heh, sometimes I argue the Nolan chart should have three axes, adding one for something we could call 'corporatism'?, 'trans-nationals'? -- a power structure of unelected power cabals running things.
Agreed.

Quote:
I drag out Mussolini as the sidestep of the Godwin rule, especially since he actually defined much of what the US is dealing with now.
Kinda scary isn't it.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:30   Link #2816
Dr. Casey

Question. Since the elections are over now, can this awful, awful, hideously awful cesspool of a thread be locked? The election is over, so the thread's served its purpose, right? Then this thread can fade into memory, the darkest hour of an already rather shitty message board.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-11-07 at 19:37. Reason: edited out a word...
Old 2012-11-07, 19:32   Link #2817
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
You said you agreed with Victoria Jackson or whatever her name is. She said that Evil won and America is dead. By your own words, you agreed with that. Therefore, you don't respect our choices. Why should we respect yours?
Can we stop with this pointless discussion? It is ridiculously uninteresting and mind-numbingly boring with little to do with anything of import let alone the actual purpose of this thread (it's also getting needlessly aggressive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Question. Since the elections are over now, can this awful, awful, hideously awful cesspool of a thread be locked? The election is over, so the thread's served its purpose, right? Then this thread can fade into memory, the darkest hour of an already rather shitty message board.
Thank you for the response, the thread will now stay open until the Inauguration and then I will make an Obama 2nd Term thread and a 113th United States Congress thread. (And just for shits and giggles, I will make sure to reference you in all future political threads on this forum.)
Old 2012-11-07, 19:32   Link #2818
GundamFan0083

Latino groups to Obama: You owe Latinos the election, now pass immigration reform
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/l...-election.html
Old 2012-11-07, 19:33   Link #2819
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Can we stop with this pointless discussion? It is ridiculously uninteresting and mind-numbingly boring with little to do with anything of import let alone the actual purpose of this thread (it's also getting needlessly aggressive).
Hey now, GDB's just upholding the most sacred purpose of this thread: to dogpile anyone with a divergent opinion and try to browbeat them into changing their mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Thank you for the response, the thread will now stay open until the Inauguration and then I will make an Obama 2nd Term thread and a 113th United States Congress thread. (And just for shits and giggles, I will make sure to reference you in all future political threads on this forum.)
Sounds good James, make sure to officially add a new rule to AnimeSuki while you're at it making it a bannable offense to ever mention Mitt Romney in a positive light.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:37   Link #2820
GundamFan0083

That's why you have to become a pillar of stubborn indignation like me.