AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 56 39.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 33.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 16.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 9.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.70%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-13, 00:26   Link #201
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

l wouldn't be surprised if ranka wins alto at the end, l'm getting vibes from sheryl that she will kick the bucket near the end...which is fine with me.
Old 2008-05-13, 00:45   Link #202
Westlo
Lets be reality

What are Ranka fans basing Sheryl dying on? Pure hope? Because if any of the two main girls has a higher chance of dying this series it's Ranka (5% compared to 1% though ) because unlike Sheryl she is connected to the Varja in some way. I really doubt any of the two girls will do a Guld though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He blushes whenever Sheryl thrusts her feminity in his face (and who wouldn't?). He gets emotional and/or defensive whenever Ranka's so much as mentioned.
How did she thrust her femininity at Alto before this blush?

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0616ai2.jpg

Than you got his blush at being caught being kissed by her by Michael at the start of the episode...

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-05-13 at 01:01.
Old 2008-05-13, 00:51   Link #203
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I loved that twist. Sheryl and Minmay are similar at first glance, but Sheryl actually shares more similarity with Hayase as both of them are extremely strong women, just as Ranka and Minmay are similar. (I dont even mind if Hayase is 2 years older than Hikaru. )
Is it so bad for a woman being older than the man? I mean we see vip couples with tens of years of difference so it shouldn't be so shocking...

Quote:
Edit: Then again in Macross world, whoever comes first in the love triangle is always the loser in the end. >_<
Where is it stated this rule?
It's just your speculation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
l wouldn't be surprised if ranka wins alto at the end, l'm getting vibes from sheryl that she will kick the bucket near the end...which is fine with me.
I'm not fine with that: I like Sheryl a lot. At first I didn't like her, but now we've seen she's much more than the vip bitch we've seen in episode 1. (Yeah I know there is deculture version and so bla bla bla, but for me episode 1 of the series is the canon).
She has quite a solid background as well, at least as much as Ranka has.
Old 2008-05-13, 01:09   Link #204
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What are Ranka fans basing Sheryl dying on? Pure hope? Because if any of the two main girls has a higher chance of dying this series it's Ranka (5% compared to 1% though ) because unlike Sheryl she is connected to the Varja in some way. I really doubt any of the two girls who pull a Guld...
Not pure hope, not at all..l'm just picking on vibes that she might die near the end, l'm a fan of hers too, l would be deaply saddened if she died.
lt wouldn't be so bad that she did kick the bucket though as it would add more drama...

always on the attack, huh westlo? this time my pairing shall become victorious!!
Old 2008-05-13, 01:11   Link #205
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Is it so bad for a woman being older than the man? I mean we see vip couples with tens of years of difference so it shouldn't be so shocking...
no in fact i'm beginning to like the idea MORE AND MORE omg lol.

Quote:
Where is it stated this rule?
It's just your speculation...
Thought it's the same for all Macross series. (Esp the Minmei/Hikaru/Misa triangle.)

Sheryl is such a fine character. I hope her relationship with Alto develops because I'm getting sick of moe/loli characters. -_-

Quote:
always on the attack, huh westlo? this time my pairing shall become victorious!!
Here's a fat ego-boost for you Westlo, everytime you make a prediction on a pairing, I always sit back and relax because you always turn out to be right. (But we'll see about Macross Frontier, because it's a lil complicated. )
Old 2008-05-13, 01:14   Link #206
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
The only pairing you want that shall be victorious is yuukiXzero Hopefully that's wrapped up in 4-6 months/chapters time as well since it appears to be near the end. btw about that bet you lost against me.. you can change your avatar now since it was only suppose to be a month for you IIRC, I was going to wear Kai for the entire Spring season if I got those 2 predictions wrong.

Quote:
Here's a fat ego-boost for you Westlo, everytime you make a prediction on a pairing, I always sit back and relax because you always turn out to be right. (But we'll see about Macross Frontier, because it's a lil complicated. )
Yep that's true but I've got to get one wrong eventually Hopefully Sheryl and/or VK's Zero is not where I slip up with my predictions... though I'm supremely confident with Zero atm since the manga looks like it's coming to an end...

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-05-13 at 01:36.
Old 2008-05-13, 01:49   Link #207
ipernorris

Quote:
no in fact i'm beginning to like the idea MORE AND MORE omg lol.
Me too, even because older women = better experienced...

Quote:
Thought it's the same for all Macross series. (Esp the Minmei/Hikaru/Misa triangle.)
Spoiler for SDF Macross and Macross 7:

If I was Alto I would see Ranka as a kind of little sister to protect, not a girlfriend never ever. She will grow up in the future (I HOPE!), but I will still prefer Sheryl, unless something shocking about her will happen.

Quote:
Sheryl is such a fine character. I hope her relationship with Alto develops because I'm getting sick of moe/loli characters. -_-
Here it's the same... in fact in the past I read lots of "School life" mangas, but now I'm avoiding them like they are a plague...

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-05-13 at 07:41. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Old 2008-05-13, 01:59   Link #208
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
You hit that right on the spot, it happens a lot lately.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-05-13, 05:48   Link #209
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I dunno, I get worried when relationships flow TOO EASILY in the beginning of the series. They r already blushing, exchanging mementos, neglecting the third wheel, and this is what, the sixth episode?

For once, I want to see the 'seemingly-out-of-your-league' character win the love triangle instead of the 'down-to-earth moe/loli/more-in-your-league' type.
Old 2008-05-13, 05:53   Link #210
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

but Ranka is more promising, after all she is zetrand (its remind me of Max and Mylia LOL)
Old 2008-05-13, 05:55   Link #211
herbert

We already has Micheal and Klan Klan, why do you need Ranka to recall Jenius couple?
Old 2008-05-13, 06:13   Link #212
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
I dunno, I get worried when relationships flow TOO EASILY in the beginning of the series. They r already blushing, exchanging mementos, neglecting the third wheel, and this is what, the sixth episode?

For once, I want to see the 'seemingly-out-of-your-league' character win the love triangle instead of the 'down-to-earth moe/loli/more-in-your-league' type.
I agree. So far, the romantic stuff feels pretty forced. Then again, I thought they felt forced ever since Macross to Macross Plus. To me, ironically, Macross Zero had a more believable romantic relationship since it all came out of necessity and normalized relationship between strangers.

With Frontier, it's like "cute girl comes along: DATE!". I do hope to see more spontaneous moments, but Sheryl seems to be assertive in that way so maybe it's just her.
Old 2008-05-13, 08:58   Link #213
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I agree. So far, the romantic stuff feels pretty forced. Then again, I thought they felt forced ever since Macross to Macross Plus. To me, ironically, Macross Zero had a more believable romantic relationship since it all came out of necessity and normalized relationship between strangers.

With Frontier, it's like "cute girl comes along: DATE!". I do hope to see more spontaneous moments, but Sheryl seems to be assertive in that way so maybe it's just her.
Spoiler for Macross Zero:

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-05-13 at 10:27. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Old 2008-05-13, 10:22   Link #214
Wesley84

You think the fact he looks like a girl helps them feel comfortable talking to him? The first episode seemed to imply that with Ranka.
Old 2008-05-13, 10:45   Link #215
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
Spoiler for Macross Zero:

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-13, 11:05   Link #216
4Tran

I replied to Wesley84's point in the Alto discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post

I'm not really sure how you can characterize any of the interaction as "romantic" to begin with. The Star Date and Alto going to return the earring may have stereotypical overtones that indicate romance in other shows, but the way they were played out in Frontier, there seems to be very different connotations in both cases. Sure it can blossom into romance, but they're not there yet.

You point out quite correctly that the Star Date is pure Sheryl - Alto was even hesitant at first, but he just got caught up in the moment.
Old 2008-05-13, 18:17   Link #217
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

See, I agree with that totally. If anything, its a 'romance' in 'development-stages' and 'under-construction'. Its not there, yet.

Yes, they look like a match, but its a far way off

- Tak
Old 2008-05-13, 20:32   Link #218
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

I think I've ranted on this topic in other forums/blogs... but Ranka and Alto aren't even close to the border to Relationship-ville... but Sheryl and Alto aren't quite there yet either. He isn't looking for romance, and he's still building his relationships with the two women... although with Ranka, there's been pretty much zero development since the Miss Macross competition. Sheryl, on the other hand, got to take Alto around and show her normal side to him, which is a contrast to the bitch he thought her to be at the start: witness his disparaging comments about her ("What makes her a Galactic Fairy?") as well as how he tore into her after the concert was cancelled, on top of how she talked about the flight school EX-gear pilots as being amateurs.

Besides, for all the complaints I've seen about how slowly things are developing, I find this natural progression to be a bit better than the sudden 'ohmygodI'vefalleninlovewithyou' thing that happens to harem shows, comedies, and most other anime. For those who fret about it... Macross didn't exactly start out quick with the triangle either; Hikaru and Misa were arguing during their first few encounters, and things with Minmay didn't really FEEL romantic after they were rescued. The triangle took a while to develop there too, and for the most part consisted of one-sided feelings. Which we're starting to see here, at least a little.

There's another good reason to avoid Ranka though - on top of the fact she IS a year younger than him (and possibly below the age of consent if he's interested in such things), she's the little sister of the commanding officer who dotes on her, and who's likely to strap Alto onto a reaction weapon and launch it into the middle of a Vajra hiveship the moment he thinks Alto is hurting his sweet little sister... or worse, 'defiling' her.
Old 2008-05-13, 20:50   Link #219
Wesley84

Yeah? Wait until the tabloids get ahold of Sheryl's boyfriend cross-dressing.

Sheryl's hardly roses herself. Celebrities are high maintanence, and Alto'd recieve alot of indirect attention by interacting with her.

And I can't see how Ozma's be worse than a father, though the fact that Alto's a pilot is a reason why she'd reject him.
Old 2008-05-13, 21:01   Link #220
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Yeah? Wait until the tabloids get ahold of Sheryl's boyfriend cross-dressing.

Sheryl's hardly roses herself. Celebrities are high maintanence, and Alto'd recieve alot of indirect attention by interacting with her.

And I can't see how Ozma's be worse than a father, though the fact that Alto's a pilot is a reason why she'd reject him.

Well, it's less "crossdressing" and more "former professional Kabuki performer, son of Ranzo Saotome III" - they'd have more of a field day with Sheryl goofing off with a guy than the fact the guy's also in the entertainment industry. Which is ANOTHER different between this and the original Macross... although less so, given Hikaru (IIRC) was a performer, thus the plane he had.

And it's more that Ozma's overprotective - as Mikhail noted, he's surprised that Ozma didn't come out armed the moment the agent showed up. And this is JUST a talent agent - if it was a suitor, he might have well flown his VF-25 home with an Armor pack on it, to greet the prospective boyfriend. Imagine if it was someone in his squadron; he would probably go ballistic, then calm down after Canaria or Cathy Glass knocked some sense into him. If people think Alto's hot-blooded, they should look at Ozma 'I lick my lips when shoving knives into Vajra' Lee.
Closed Thread