AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-07-25, 19:44   Link #6701
ThousandKakeras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No. As I explained, we didn't take any action towards that project, since it would be meaningless to "witch hunt" it so to speak. The only thing we did was to publically denounce that practice, that's all.

And frankly, we don't really have spare time to either hunt them down or to engage negociations with Alchemist anyway (speaking of which, as you may expected, Alchemist basically ignored us big time).
I see , so probably Alchemist may have been involved.

Last edited by ThousandKakeras; 2011-07-25 at 19:57.
ThousandKakeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 02:35   Link #6702
gn_X00

just want to know... and I can't wait to read the rest of chapter 8.
good luck to the witch hunt
gn_X00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 22:10   Link #6703
RandomAvatarFan

Hi, I actually just registered here on the forums to ask this (I probably will be sticking around afterwards though) but I was wondering if you knew when a download version of Episode 8 will be available. I don't know if you were going to finish the patch before putting it up, but I thought I'd come here and ask.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 22:16   Link #6704
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
They're planning to complete the patch first.
Old 2011-07-26, 22:21   Link #6705
RandomAvatarFan

Alright, I figured that'd be the case. Looking forward to it!
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 10:43   Link #6706
Noodle311
Furniture

Hey! Got a small little question here.

I downloaded the free patch of EP1, but now that I'm finished, I went to buy the rest of the games online.

Unfortunately, I got a message from Witch Hunt that the patch isn't available in Ireland. So, I was wondering if there was any chance you could release it for download here? If you have the time, that is.

Sorry if I went a bit off-topic!
Old 2011-07-27, 15:05   Link #6707
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

As in the download is region-locked? If you can't get the patch I'm sure its been rehosted somewhere, but if its a problem where your computer is in a different locale or something just download applocale and run the patch in american locale
Old 2011-07-27, 15:54   Link #6708
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hi Noodle311!

Are you having problems with downloading the English patch or the actual game?

There are two separate components required to play Umineko in English. Firstly, you need the game itself (in Japanese). This is available as a download from Hobibox's website. Secondly, you need the English patch which is available from Witch Hunt's website.

Due to 'server issues', the game is not available to download for all countries. Ireland is one of the countries where it is not available. If there is enough demand for it, it will become available in more countries.

However, I was under the impression that the English patch was available worldwide. There is a US mirror and an EU mirror, but I'd be surprised if there were restrictions on downloading it.

As for technical limitations, that's not an issue. NScripter only supports Japanese, which is why the English patch includes ONScripter-EN which is designed to support English. The only scenario where you'd use AppLocale is if you want to play the game in Japanese using the original NScripter engine.
Old 2011-07-27, 15:59   Link #6709
Madman6510
Child of Man

The patch itself is freely distributable and available worldwide. The digital download from Hobibox for the game itself is only available in certain countries, due to legal issues I presume.

However, that doesn't stop you from importing it. You can buy it from websites like Paletweb. Plus you get the box, and the box art is awesome.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:47   Link #6710
Noodle311
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Are you having problems with downloading the English patch or the actual game?

There are two separate components required to play Umineko in English. Firstly, you need the game itself (in Japanese). This is available as a download from Hobibox's website. Secondly, you need the English patch which is available from Witch Hunt's website.

Due to 'server issues', the game is not available to download for all countries. Ireland is one of the countries where it is not available. If there is enough demand for it, it will become available in more countries.

However, I was under the impression that the English patch was available worldwide. There is a US mirror and an EU mirror, but I'd be surprised if there were restrictions on downloading it.
I believe it's the English patch I'm having trouble downloading, because there's no problem with getting onto Hobibox's website for the actual game.

Unfortunately, it seems like the EU mirror doesn't seem to work where I am.

But, after reading Madman6510's advice, I think I'll go with the DVD version just to save the hassle. But, thank you for trying to help anyway! I appreciate it.
Old 2011-07-28, 14:46   Link #6711
ghost_zero5

For the DVD version you will still need the English Patch from Witch-Hunt - except you can read (and understand) Japanese, of course.

Regarding mirror: You can also use the US mirror, the patch is the same.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 19:54   Link #6712
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

To be honest, there isn't really an advantage to getting the DVD version unless you really want a physical copy. The download version is probably cheaper, you get everything in the DVD version, plus you don't have to wait for the DVD to be shipped over from Japan.

And as ghost_zero5 said, you still need the English patch regardless of which version you get (unless you can read Japanese).

Note that there are currently (to my knowledge) four mirrors (two EU mirrors and two US mirrors). The 'EU mirror' link randomly redirects you to one of the EU mirrors and the 'US mirror' link randomly redirects you to one of the US mirrors. If one doesn't work, just try another.
Old 2011-07-28, 23:21   Link #6713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle311 View Post
I believe it's the English patch I'm having trouble downloading, because there's no problem with getting onto Hobibox's website for the actual game.

Unfortunately, it seems like the EU mirror doesn't seem to work where I am.
I just verified, and all Witch Hunt mirrors are currently online. But either way thanks for reporting it, I'll keep a sharp eye on it for a few days.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 19:42   Link #6714
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I'm able to connect to all the mirrors, so it might be a connection problem (which should probably sort itself out within a few days) or to do with the way you're trying to download the patch. Perhaps using a different browser to download the patch may help?

Last edited by Yirba; 2011-07-29 at 21:59.
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 06:53   Link #6715
Desu_Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle311 View Post
Hey! Got a small little question here.

I downloaded the free patch of EP1, but now that I'm finished, I went to buy the rest of the games online.

Unfortunately, I got a message from Witch Hunt that the patch isn't available in Ireland. So, I was wondering if there was any chance you could release it for download here? If you have the time, that is.

Sorry if I went a bit off-topic!
Where in Ireland are you from? I'm in the northwest, and I can download it just fine.
Desu_Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 13:00   Link #6716
Madman6510
Child of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desu_Cake View Post
Where in Ireland are you from? I'm in the northwest, and I can download it just fine.
Maybe you're close enough to Northern Ireland to trick the site into thinking you're from there, since the download version is available in the UK.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 17:58   Link #6717
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Sorry if this isn't the proper place to ask about PONScripter, but I didn't find any other thread even mentioning it except Higurashi Game Translation project.
I tried asking this on UncleMion's page a couple of months ago, but as I haven't got a response I'll try asking here.

I’m trying to program an experimentary VN with PONScripter (the western language support is nice to have as well as the prettier fonts). I’m no brilliant programmer, but I find NScripter relatively easy to understand, so with practice I think I’ll be okay.

What I’d like to know is if PONScripter can use a bigger resolution that 800×600, preferably 16:9 ratio (1280×720 is probably what I'm aiming for). The Umineko PS3fication patch seems to have been succesful in this (well with ONScripter), with a ;mode1920 to get HD resolution. I tried ;mode1280 and ;mode1920 on both PONScripter and ONScripter, but no luck. Is this a case of the onscripter-en.exe itself having been modified? Are there any updates on the horizon adding 16:9 support or could I get some instructions how I could attempt to fix it myself? Also, ;mode800 didn't work when I had the script as pscript.dat, but with 0.utf it did work.

The other important thing I’d like to find out is how to make it possible to advance the text by scrolling down with the mouse wheel? It should be possible, as Umineko does it. I find it more comfortable than the continuous clicking.

If you have suggestions of other good visual novel engines I'd like to hear it. I know engines like Ren'Py and Novelty, but I'd like to hear your opinions on them.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 18:25   Link #6718
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

I think NScripter is pretty much outdated nowadays. If you'd like a powerful VN engine, I'd suggest giving KiriKiri a go (it's the one Type-Moon is currently using, if I recall correctly).

On a sidenote, special western characters outside of Shift-JIS such as àèòùì can be made to work even on ONScripter with a little trick
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 18:57   Link #6719
legomaple

I seem to have a problem, but I don't know if it is the translated version or the normal version. Anyway, when I play the musicbox on shuffle, sometimes it will go quiet after changing song. It will still continue playing all the songs, because when I open it again, it goes from somewhere into the song. It also sometimes cuts out a song, for example with executioner it will stop at 3 minutes, and go to the next song.

Thanks in advance!
legomaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 16:12   Link #6720
ghost_zero5

@Bluemail:
Regarding those modes: Actually, onscripter source-code can easily be modified to support these modes. just some small modifications at 3 parts in the source-code.
ScriptHandler.cpp, ScriptParser.cpp and ScriptHandler.h files need to be modifed a bit.

It just isn't doesn't exist per default. I think the PS3fication project might have done those changes too in the source-code but I don't know.

Actually, I think it wouldn't be too bad to add more resolutions per default (after all it is quite simple) and for own VN (or newer VN) it might be nice to support higher resolutions too.

Btw. you already mentioned that the PS3fication project includes this mode already, as the .exe is otherwise probably just onscripter-en anyway, you should be able to use that .exe for your own projects too.

Regarding the source-code changes: They would be like this (added the spoiler tag because the post was too long otherwise and also a bit off-topic actually ):
(Of course, that way you would need to build it manually using MingW and MSYS under Windows; under Linux it is normally quite simple to install the necessary tools and then use make & co).

Spoiler for Sourcecode-Changes:

Last edited by ghost_zero5; 2011-08-01 at 16:24.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation