AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 50 41.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 30.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 15.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-06, 06:34   Link #101
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Um.... the people didn't really antagonize the twins for the sake of doing so though.

Rumors spreading like this isn't unheard of and things just panned out that way for both of them. It just seemed like a chain of bad events for me (with the exception of the crazy knife lady).

Since the household situation was in such a mess, I would expect things to blow up like it just did. But there weren't enough episodes to pan it out a bit more if it were a 26 episode show.
Old 2007-12-06, 06:44   Link #102
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Great Ep ....But Who sent the latter ..?...I guess the Step Mother ...
the Principle and Vice-principle ..I hate These Kinda People ...
I Can't Wait to see Ep 11.....The Sana Story With the Blood ..I wonder Kill someone or See someone Die In front Him....
Old 2007-12-06, 07:23   Link #103
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
If sana was suicidal in the past i dont think his mom will let him live by himself, but then again any situation i cant think of can fit in though
Imagine someone being bullied everyday at school and then the bullies follow them outside of school. Thank goodness the person can confide in his parents, but they can't leave their jobs. What can they do? Lucky they do have relatives living in their old home town where they can send the person to live. They are out of danger and hopefully can build a life for themselves without some Dangos hounding them till they top themselves.

Black blood will equal a whole new generation of otakus who will call up the MiB if anyone ever nicks themselves. "My mum cut herself and her blood is red, she must be an alien so I locked her in the fridge!"

Great episode, that dad is an arse. I would have called up a TV station and left an anonymous tip that he likes to abuse children, before I ran away. Well I am sure he will get what is owed to him when he finds that his shag for a dollar leaves him when he is penniless. But then again he would probably sell his children to the loan sharks to get him self restarted.

So far my twincest detector isn't registering. The psycho gran meter went off the scale

This series needs to calm down, it has more intrigue and mystery then a whole season of Scooby Doo, my head hurts trying to keep up!
Old 2007-12-06, 07:32   Link #104
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Um.... the people didn't really antagonize the twins for the sake of doing so though.

Rumors spreading like this isn't unheard of and things just panned out that way for both of them. It just seemed like a chain of bad events for me (with the exception of the crazy knife lady).

Since the household situation was in such a mess, I would expect things to blow up like it just did. But there weren't enough episodes to pan it out a bit more if it were a 26 episode show.
Shit happens. That goes without saying. But I just couldn't buy the fact that all these things happened one after the other, and when they were instigated (like the letter and the rumours), their pleas for sympathy and understanding fell on deaf ears (eg, Vice-Principal and their father). That was what bugged me about the whole thing. If the Vice-Principal and/or the father acted in a way that we typically expect of a Vice-Principal or a father, the dramatic set up wouldn't have worked. The writers had to twist these people into unsympathetic bastards to make it work properly, so it all felt a tad forced. It mightn't have totally defied suspension of disbelief (YMMV), but it certainly pushed it.

That's why I thought all of this was more melodramatic than genuinely dramatic. The subtle hand of the writers felt more like a slap. Everyone was conveniently antagonistic, most of the time without decent or sensible reasons (I'll revive my granddaughter by burying you under a tree lol! Here comes my stabby knife!). Not that I mind it, but that's how I'd rather call it. Intense? Yes. Well written? Not in my opinion.
Old 2007-12-06, 07:49   Link #105
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I agree that they did push things quite a bit, but I still think that could be due to a lot of time constraints. For other shows that push the melodrama envelope a bit too much at times, ef does that at times too.

Maybe it would have been better if some of the earlier filler episodes concentrated on the building tension to make it more believable.

Other than the incredibly insensitive vice principal and principal, it was crazy how many people around Shuri/Shusuke are so mentally unhinged at the same time.

It's a shame, because with better pacing and even marginally better writing, this show could have become a masterpiece. It's still one of the shows to watch IMO though. I think this show wedged into the melodrama section ever since Darth Nanaka entered the picture.
Old 2007-12-06, 07:56   Link #106
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

*Wishes he could stone all who mention school days....* WILL EVERYONE STOP COMPARING THE TWO ALREADY!!
Old 2007-12-06, 07:57   Link #107
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yes. Because apparently the kids in Myself Yourself are way crazier on the outset than anyone in School Days.
Old 2007-12-06, 09:00   Link #108
Kamesan

Wow... everyone in this series has serious issues.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:33   Link #109
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The drama in this episode baffled between "very good" and "mediocre", such like a metronome.
The Wakatsuki twins issue was well paced and consistent, though indeed, the way how it is "forced" to be applied in reality (paying any mention of an anonymous letter, which doesn't show any proof whatsoever) wasn't exactly well blended.

The bad side of the drama is probably how Sana's fear of bloody edge items is absurdely shown. He doesn't have any issue with blood, nor edged items, but only both combined. I can understand and comprehend trauma and such, with specific similar trigger, but such reaction is redundantly exaggerated (as the fish blood knife was already meh). The execution is far too insistent and stiff that it doesn't flow naturally for me.

The other bad point is probably the whole deal with Kaji, who is really invading the main characters in problems quite put "for the hell of it".
Poe's disappearance was quite hinted for a while, but far too blatantly. The result for such gruesome and creepy atmosphere with the said grandma are sharply contrasted to how she is "normal" to the characters most of the time. In a way, her sudden outburst is absolutely no consistent for me, as she was quite normal until then, and nothing really triggered her new sacrifice attempt. Things would be possible if it was Nanaka, as she has remote ressemblances with Motoko, but that's all.

Another point was how Asami was switched from "jealousy device" into "shuuri device". Asami character role is so spread it is hard to actually determine what is her true "usefulness" in MY, because she doesn't have her own "arc" for herself. She is kinda a trigger, device for 2 other characters, nothing else (and some further rant: the way how she was wounded isn't exactly convincing).

This episode was rather average IMO, because it really lacks of focus and force another plot "twist", while the show could live on without it. Currently, they will have to deal with Watatsuki twins "letter" issue, their father. Then Nanaka's love and her past. And of course, Sana, keeping the usual "cliche and generic romance lead" with actual potential for the past, but utterly dragged.
Meanwhile, Aoi is as useless as ever,
and hinako got sidetricked immediately.

The show doesn't pretend anything much, and it is quite enjoyable. however, I would actually like if they stick on more serious points for good, as it is almost the end of the series, and they will certainly "waste" episode 11 with Kaji *sigh*.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:50   Link #110
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Great...black blood again...I swear using that color is creepier then just going with red.

Oh well was a pretty good episode...Like other said some of the drama was alittle forced, but as characters I quite enjoy shuri and shuuske so didn't really bug me much.

Sad to see asami continue her streak of being the character whose gets used to advance other peoples plots and gets no development for herself...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-12-06, 11:06   Link #111
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Seriously. How will they end it all in just 3 more episodes?

Me hoping for a season 2.
Old 2007-12-06, 11:06   Link #112
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

3 things about the letter

1: its someone out just spreading rumors to ruin the dad's election

2: someone has "mistaken the step-mom and her lover for the twins" cause face it, the guy looked the spitting image of Shuu.

3: step-mom knew or suggested before hand that if anyhting happened with twins again they should be separated, then she sent the letter.

its all very up in the air at this point ain't it
Old 2007-12-06, 11:52   Link #113
Kamel

Hm I am wondering if perhaps in the orginal game this part of the story was part of Shuris path and it was Sana who decided to run away with her . In the anime they twisted the story because he and Shuri didn't have such relationship in this version. So creators framed her brother in to it. That would explain why the scenes between the twins looked in this episode so much as if they were standard scenes between a pair of lovers, those were simply orginally Sanas lines not Shu's
Old 2007-12-06, 11:52   Link #114
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Actually, you are incorrect in thinking that I said I thought you downrated it because of SD. I said I thought you downrated it because of the black blood, which you yourself just specifically said is one of the reasons. I'm sorry you don't like it when animators use different colors for blood to do what they think will help avoid real people being killed in real life by loony otakus who take their anime way too seriously.

On the side, a few other glaringly odd things in there I see: Point 1, in large quantities yes, but in small portions such as this case, how so? And even if that were true, the show isn't about violence in the first place, it was to set up drama. Point 3, isn't that what happens when people go into a psychotic episode? Point 4, why do they have to? Point 5, what happened to the knife that Shuri was using to peel the apples? It's not like the kids tossed it out the window when they were done with it.

You're free to not like what you don't like, but don't make it out to be a sacrilege.
Oh, in that case there's nothing wrong. I think black blood is weird, and it made the episode unnatural, hence the reason for downrating. I don't think it really matters what the reasoning behind it is. I'm not going to overlook the fact and rate it higher because of the circumstances. Was there a reason for it? Yes. Will I give it a 9 because of the circumstances? No. I didn't like it, I wouldn't give it a higher score.

The violence is just my personal preference. I don't like violence against other humans in a romance. If you do, that's great. If it's common, that's great. Again, I don't like violence in a romance, and I am not going to uprate an anime just because it is commonplace. Especially since I don't feel like there was much build up. It was just a few flashes of grandma in other episodes, but not enough to call it build up. There also was very little mention about her insanity, as it was just shown in two flashes.
And yes, I know it was the knife. But all you see is grandma standing there like a tiger standing upright, no knife in hand. She doesn't even go to the table with the knife, she just goes over to the thermostat.

If you can tell, I rate based off of personal preference, based on how I liked the episode. I don't rate using the standards of others, or by what is commonplace.
Old 2007-12-06, 12:14   Link #115
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

So sick of all the followers saying "LAWL school days, school days. Everyones gonna get shanked!" Come on people. Are your imaginations that low you have to compare all the new shows to it? And its not just here either, this also happens in the ef thread, which is even worse because that plot has already been determined. Sana being suicidal is the closest thing we have to the main crew being violent. And in that case Shuffle was even worse, but i don't see Kaede on a nice boat. Face facts. School days is school days. Censors =/= School Days!

I really want this to be my last post on this topic. I'm even sad to say i want this series to end just so people can see that animes can have different plots *shock*.

Ya... I'm going to get a lot of heat for saying this, but at this point, its worth it.
Old 2007-12-06, 14:21   Link #116
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
Hm I am wondering if perhaps in the orginal game this part of the story was part of Shuris path and it was Sana who decided to run away with her . In the anime they twisted the story because he and Shuri didn't have such relationship in this version. So creators framed her brother in to it. That would explain why the scenes between the twins looked in this episode so much as if they were standard scenes between a pair of lovers, those were simply orginally Sanas lines not Shu's
Too lazy to check at the moment, but i don't think the game is even out yet. At any rate i don't think it would work if it not were the twins. If it were Sana and Shuri, it would be an ordinary couple of lovers. That is not exactly going to raise much of a fuss all by itself.
Old 2007-12-06, 14:36   Link #117
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
3 things about the letter

1: its someone out just spreading rumors to ruin the dad's election

2: someone has "mistaken the step-mom and her lover for the twins" cause face it, the guy looked the spitting image of Shuu.

3: step-mom knew or suggested before hand that if anyhting happened with twins again they should be separated, then she sent the letter.

its all very up in the air at this point ain't it
1) seriously though...that hot headed bastard dont deserve to win anything

2) LOL! so i wasnt the only one who picked that up XD (but too bad kaa san looks nothing like shuri so that theory is doomed ^^)

3) she was the one who set them up most probably...the bitch is only in it for the money - its obvious >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-06, 15:26   Link #118
Saleh
Inactive

For the letter discussion - "Politics" would be oversimplified but right answer. Politicians and their families can never be safe from things like this. Sayuka can also expect her beautiful pics to show up in newspaper.

Does anyone gets the feeling that M; Y production team deliberately censored blood to get attention of a lot more viewers before the show ended?

Episode 10 had some good moments but it felt more like most of things were either forced or rushed (8/10 from me).
Old 2007-12-06, 15:26   Link #119
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Imagine someone being bullied everyday at school and then the bullies follow them outside of school. Thank goodness the person can confide in his parents, but they can't leave their jobs. What can they do? Lucky they do have relatives living in their old home town where they can send the person to live. They are out of danger and hopefully can build a life for themselves without some Dangos hounding them till they top themselves.
Quite possible. But if Sana tried to end his life after something like that, whereas Nanaka went through Hell and back and still had the strength to move on, I would be very very disappointed in him. IF Sana tried to commit suicide, it would have to be a little more convincing.

Perhaps Sana fell in love with a girl in the other town and she fell ill. She is diagnosed with a terminal illness. He stayed by her side on her death bed and it tore him up inside. He ended up breaking down, deciding death was the only way out. He was saved by his parents. The girl confronts him about it in her final hours. She makes him want to live on. The girl passes after she gives him a present -- a watch to hide his scars. His parents send him back to the old town to be with his friends thinking it will cheer him up.

^^Something to that effect would be passable with me. Of course suicide wouldn't explain his fear of blood, since he was the one trying to take his life. Personally, I think someone he was close to had a bloody end, and that would explain his fear of blood.
Old 2007-12-06, 15:32   Link #120
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well this was a pretty big episode considering everything that happened during it.

Of course you knew that crazy old woman was going to pull something. I honestly thought she'd go for Nanaka eventually so trying to kill Shuri really was a surprise. Hopefully that nut job gets put away and we don't need to see her again. An important lesson is that volunteer work is dangerous.

The major parts of this episode with Shuri and Shuu kept me following along interested in where things would go. At least now we know that woman really is everything accused of her. Frankly I hope her sleeping around gets out and the father's campaign gets ruined that way. Guy is so completely self-centered its ridiculous. Beating on his children and even trying to send one away after she was almost killed by the crazy woman.

At least got to see the strong bonds between those twins. Looking out for each other and trying to cheer the other up with a nice little present. Props on Shuu for going all out at the school. He was really pissed and ready to take on the class until he got some answers. Just wonder what will happen with those two now.

That Vice-Principle should be dropped off the face of the earth. Honestly some anonymous letter that has no kind of evidence is more creditable than students? How that guy got a spot in the educational system when apparently he is an idiot amazes me.

And finally we got the answer as to Asami's purpose...a meat shield. Do wonder if she has a story and not just a role. Before its making Nanaka jealous and now it's watching out for Shuri?