AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 17:27   Link #41
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

is the show's style like Minami-ke or Azumanga?

you know...
strange girls who live a normal life
Red Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 06:46   Link #42
Mei

Just watched the first episode. I felt there was something missing but I just couldn't put my finger on it to what it was... (more impressions on blog about that). It definately was intriguing and it managed to keep my attention throughout, so that is something. However they just need to really up the tempo now.

Anyone who can tell me how long this series is predicted to be? Or has it not been announced yet.
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 07:15   Link #43
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Just watched the first episode. I felt there was something missing but I just couldn't put my finger on it to what it was... (more impressions on blog about that). It definately was intriguing and it managed to keep my attention throughout, so that is something. However they just need to really up the tempo now.

Anyone who can tell me how long this series is predicted to be? Or has it not been announced yet.
hmmmm i watched the first episode as well, pretty funny.
but like u said, it is sort of missing something, it managed to get me watch through the entire episode, but i am still not "into" the show. I guess wait till nxt weel and see
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 10:05   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um.. you should edit that post, like instantly, Mega-Japan. This is an MFI title. Read the forum rules and the policies on MFI titles.

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?...q_mediafactory
Old 2008-10-03, 12:58   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

.... four girls with quirky personalities doing silly things.
Maybe take Hidamari Sketch, Lucky*Star, Minami*ke, and puree it ... then add some familiar bits from Manabi Straight personalities????

Whatever, it kept me entertained though the pacing seemed to hang on the "frozen moments" too long. Serious black haired girl with sexy boots (no, I don't have the names memorized yet) was a particular favorite but go fig - one of the types I like. Sticking with it for now.
Old 2008-10-03, 13:26   Link #46
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
.... four girls with quirky personalities doing silly things.
Maybe take Hidamari Sketch, Lucky*Star, Minami*ke, and puree it ... then add some familiar bits from Manabi Straight personalities????

Whatever, it kept me entertained though the pacing seemed to hang on the "frozen moments" too long. Serious black haired girl with sexy boots (no, I don't have the names memorized yet) was a particular favorite but go fig - one of the types I like. Sticking with it for now.
Sounds like Azumanga to me
Old 2008-10-03, 14:35   Link #47
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I think this show is gonna be a Sketchbook-like kind of show, but a little funnier, I just hope I don't get tired of this (like Sketchbook). However, we have some good animation here, though sometimes it seems that they try to save money with some scenes i.e. when Ayu is walking around in circles, or with some face expressions; excellent backgrounds and artwork though!
To me opening and ending themes seem just rubbish, uhm...
Old 2008-10-03, 14:49   Link #48
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I enjoyed the first episode immensely. Judging from it I'll put this above Azumanga, Hidamari Sketch, Sketchbook, maybe even Minami-ke. Above Lucky Star and Manabi Straight any day.

Of course the first episode is always a kind of extended trailer and things might go down from here. But in any case, Hyakko is a relative safe bet because series from this genre are hard to screw up in a way that makes them sink below the "drop line". So 90 percent probability that I'll finish this.
Old 2008-10-03, 16:44   Link #49
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
Personally I didn't enjoy this episode. I just found it to be a bunch of dumb girls with lack of common sense, perhaps just not my type anime... (imo)
Old 2008-10-03, 17:54   Link #50
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well that was a fun first episode in-spite of the fact that the basic premise of the episode was pretty iffy in the believability department even for a comedy...

Looks like not only the main cast, but the supporting classmates are a colorful bunch aswell strictly based on character designs alone.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 19:33   Link #51
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I enjoyed the first episode immensely. Judging from it I'll put this above Azumanga, Hidamari Sketch, Sketchbook, maybe even Minami-ke. Above Lucky Star and Manabi Straight any day. .
Your nickname fits really your tastes

I enjoyed too this first episode. I like the casting and faces of the characters (bodies are a little weird).
Old 2008-10-03, 19:42   Link #52
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I liked it, I'll pick this up for good ^^ Kinda like Sketchbook only more crazy, nice nice ^^ I thought they don't make stuff like that anymore.
Old 2008-10-03, 20:03   Link #53
Zippicus

This looks like something I'll enjoy. The first episode was pretty amusing in general but I hope they throw in more crazy stuff, like Torako punching out the teacher lol.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 20:35   Link #54
Ultenth

It was okay, the art seemed to really be random in terms of quality, sometimes good, sometimes really sub-par, and I though the VO work was a bit underwhelming as well. The feel of the show seemed pretty decent though, if a bit predictable and formulaic. The character designs seemed pretty paint-by-numbers as well, but hopefully they will diverge a bit from that as the episodes progress. Will withhold judgement though until I see a few more episodes, but didn't knock me out with the first episode like shows like Ichigo Mashimaro and sketchbook and a few others did.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 20:53   Link #55
Kirarakim

I am not sure how I feel about this. I thought the premise of the first episode (getting lost in the school) was not really that great but I already like our cast of 4 characters. I guess this is at least worth a couple more episodes.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:09   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting ... initial reviews in this thread are ALL over the place.

One thing to remember is the show is much more an exercise in "character studies" than in some plot-centric progress from ep to ep.

I'm with Slice of Life .... this series probably works for me from whats been seen so far.
Old 2008-10-03, 21:26   Link #57
Ultenth

I totally dig slice of life, it's probably my favorite genre overall. But so far from what I've seen the 4 main leads seem pretty cookie-cutter, and the opening episode didn't really float my boat either, it wasn't really funny, it wasn't really heartwarming, it wasn't thoughtful or really anything that I usually expect from good slice of life shows. It was just kinda...there, is all. Plus I was getting a weird semi-yuri vibe from the show as well, but that's probably just because I've been reading lots of yuri manga lately.

I should note that the show didn't seem BAD, and I will keep watching, but it just didn't blow me away or seem anything special. I very much doubt it will rank up there with sketchbook or other recent top-tier slice of life shows, at least in my book.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 22:10   Link #58
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So far, not my kind of anime. No het romance (if only so much as even a hint) = no brainer to drop for me. I don't think I'll even give it the 3 episode grace period lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 22:46   Link #59
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I liked the first episode OK overall, but for me at least it's hard to judge slice of life after one episode--it takes a while to get to know the characters and their interactions, and usually it takes a few episodes before they either grow on me and I'm completely hooked, or they just annoy me and I drop it. I could see Hyakko going either way, but so far the cast isn't pushing me away even if they aren't reeling me in fast either.

Maybe this will change down the road, but Hyakko looks very Azumanga/Lucky Star-like in that there seems to be zero romance potential (I guess unless you count implied yuri). It's a pity, since any high school you can think of in real life most people have more than a little interest in the opposite sex--it seems like slice of life lately in anime means "girls get 99% of the screentime, and guys might as well be all exiled on another planet."
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 23:13   Link #60
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
...so far from what I've seen the 4 main leads seem pretty cookie-cutter, and the opening episode didn't really float my boat either, it wasn't really funny, it wasn't really heartwarming, it wasn't thoughtful or really anything that I usually expect from good slice of life shows. It was just kinda...there, is all. Plus I was getting a weird semi-yuri vibe from the show as well, but that's probably just because I've been reading lots of yuri manga lately.

I should note that the show didn't seem BAD, and I will keep watching, but it just didn't blow me away or seem anything special.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. These types of shows with the main cast consisting of all females and no romance don't usually strike my fancy unless it's really clever. And though I like Torako's personality, I hate Ayumi's(reminds me of Hitohira's Komugi ) and the show as a whole isn't clever enough for my tastes. I'll still keep up with it, for now.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, parody, school life, shounen, slice of life