AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2010-07-07, 11:25   Link #21
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Which is why I said if we're doing a live action movie, it has to be about Ishbal.

Honestly I'm hoping (and I think they are leaning towards) for an animated movie though, I can't imagine them wanting to risk screwing up the image of such an amazing franchise with a shitty live action movie. Quite frankly, I just don't see it happening.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 12:01   Link #22
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Real actors playing Ed and Mustang? Do. Not. Want.
Don't ruin my fantasies, Bones!

Also they all would have different voices, that sucks by default

Only live action films from asia I truly like are horror, slasher movies, those are at least funny as hell, even so it's not intentional. Still remember that one film where a ninja nun attacks her enemies by sending lightning from her nipples.
I almost died of laughter.

Edit:
There it is.

Last edited by zebra; 2010-07-07 at 18:06. Reason: off topic question v
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 17:41   Link #23
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

^ Off-topic question:

Spoiler for Offtopic?:
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 18:46   Link #24
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Only live action films from asia I truly like are horror, slasher movies, those are at least funny as hell, even so it's not intentional. Still remember that one film where a ninja nun attacks her enemies by sending lightning from her nipples.
I almost died of laughter.
I am guessing you have not seen many live action films from Asia then. What I have seen is very limited myself but check out the classics from Akira Kurosawa, Yasujirō Ozu, & Kenji Mizoguchi.

As for modern Japanese film I have not seen it yet but I have heard very good things about Departures which won best foreign film at the Oscars.

Outside of Japanese Cinema I really liked In the Mood for Love and Yi Yi both are considered two of the best films of the last decade.

Like I said my knowledge is really lacking and I am sure someone else can come up with even more great films/directors from Asia but if the only films you like are horror than I think it's because you are missing out on some great stuff.

edit: Of course I am not saying if there was an FMA live action film it would be in the caliber of the above. I highly doubt it.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-07-07 at 19:26.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 20:26   Link #25
yajra03

so the possible live action is not an hollywood movie? well i prefer the anime movie than live action.

"nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back"
yajra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 21:20   Link #26
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am guessing you have not seen many live action films from Asia then. What I have seen is very limited myself but check out the classics from Akira Kurosawa, Yasujirō Ozu, & Kenji Mizoguchi.

As for modern Japanese film I have not seen it yet but I have heard very good things about Departures which won best foreign film at the Oscars.

Outside of Japanese Cinema I really liked In the Mood for Love and Yi Yi both are considered two of the best films of the last decade.

Like I said my knowledge is really lacking and I am sure someone else can come up with even more great films/directors from Asia but if the only films you like are horror than I think it's because you are missing out on some great stuff.

edit: Of course I am not saying if there was an FMA live action film it would be in the caliber of the above. I highly doubt it.
Classy classy! I have not seen many Asian movies that fall outside of the horror genre either. The one I have good memories of is "So Close" because of the song they used during the action scenes (Close to you by the carpenters) and because the movie was OK.
Altho I have to say that I have my own definition of horror, in other words, I don't consider serial killer and gory movies horror mostly because they don't scare me. Sure it is impressive to watch a movie about a killer torturing or hacking someone to pieces but that is not something that will keep me from having a good night sleep. Supernatural horror movies on the hand .. oh my
But back to "live action movies"... I know they made a live action movie for the series "NANA" - I haven't watched the series or the movies so perhaps someone who has could tell us what they thought about it? - It is very likely I won't watch either because my heart is rather weak to relentless emotional attacks.

To this day I have yet to hear about a live action movie which is on-par with its anime counterpart, which is why I wouldn't be too fond of a FMA live action movie..

BUT... I guess a live action movie doesn't sound too bad when you consider the alternative ..... cough cough .... "Hollywood"
Old 2010-07-07, 23:12   Link #27
blewin

A live action for FMA. Really? I can't imagine it. It makes more sense to make a live action movie on modern slice of life shows.

Maybe this movie is just a recap of everything. Something like what the Eureka Seven movie did?

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 03:38   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Maybe this movie is just a recap of everything. Something like what the Eureka Seven movie did?
That wasn't a recap, it was a retelling. I'd be quite interested to see this happen with FMA actually.
Old 2010-07-08, 04:49   Link #29
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I really hope it's a live action movie.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 05:31   Link #30
_gallo_

I would prefer that Bones is totally not involved with this project.
They did fine for me with the anime but now it is time to move forward. A movie will mean additional work for the them and I think they'd better to focus only on the anime they're doing now. Since there's a trade-off between quantity and quality it's likely that an additional theatrical feature will be a mediocre, if not bad, movie and stop. Plus I don't see the point in doing this. For the first series it had sense just to milk even more a successful brand, but Brotherhood wasn't well welcomed by FMA fans.

Also, I get the feeling that no matter who will do it, Bones is going to take all the blame if it sucks

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2010-07-08 at 07:12.
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 09:20   Link #31
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm a bit shocked at that live action rumor, I'm expecting the film to be a typical recap/retelling one... I really doubt anyone would take the risk to make the Fullmetal Alchemist into a live action movie, unless it's Hollywood O.O
Old 2010-07-09, 04:10   Link #32
pulpwin
マギ

A live action FMA is not even remotely funny, I absolutely never want to see that happen.
pulpwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 06:00   Link #33
Avira
fanart-fan :D

Well the usual horror of live action (imo) is that the anime characters tend to look pretty damn unrealistic with all that spikey/freakishly long hair in strange colors and the clothes they sometimes wear..it just looks laughable on real people.

In FMA they don't have that problem, though (besides maybe Envy). There are enough blonds out there and the clothes are pretty normal. Plus the style of the anime/manga was never all sexual or bishie-style, so that's no problem either.

And there are no terribly unrealistic karate-move-things like in Naruto or wherever. So that should be kinda fine as well. Just tune down on the manga-expressions and exaggerations and everything's good.

Then again, the plot and special effects, as well as setting and all that require some money to actually look good and if they attempt some half-assed movie...then there's a lot of cringing that will ensue.
Old 2010-07-10, 22:06   Link #34
donminuto
anmesia :s

how bout like final fantasy-style 3rd?
donminuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 04:07   Link #35
Pikawai
Blabla

Live action movie for Fullmetal Alchemist... Kill me already.
Pikawai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 07:00   Link #36
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Progression of this thread:

1. OMG there's going to be a FMA:B movie!!
2. I heard that it's going to be live-action!! (link to dubious "source")
3. Oh noes, a live-action movie will suck!!
4. Uh, guys, that rumor is obvious BS... (logical reasoning)
---moves to second page---
5. I hate xxx about live-action movies!!
6. I can't believe this is going to be a live-action movie!!
7. Oh noes, a live-action movie will suck!!

(Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice on a different forum entirely...)

1. OMG there's going to be a FMA:B movie!!
2. I heard that it's going to be live-action!! (link to 2nd page of this thread)
3. Oh noes, a live-action movie will suck!!

Let me know when there's something remotely concrete...
Old 2010-07-16, 05:40   Link #37
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donminuto View Post
how bout like final fantasy-style 3rd?
If it's like FFAC, I wouldn't mind.
would love to see more 3D animated movie of that calibre!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:44   Link #38
donminuto
anmesia :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
If it's like FFAC, I wouldn't mind.
would love to see more 3D animated movie of that calibre!
same here.just the thought of the moive's special effects!imagine the sparks,the alchemy and the romance!
donminuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 21:50   Link #39
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

I saw "the spirits within" few years back and the special effects/sound were exquisite ... would be lotsa work tho and far FAR more expensive than a well made animated movie..
Old 2010-09-19, 07:33   Link #40
Kirarakim

More information about the movie and this stating it is not live action because Kameda is saying he is involved.

Not an official source but apparently they are getting the info from Twitter so anyone who understands Japanese can go to his twitter page and check it out. And no I don't have a link.

http://amber1003.deviantart.com/journal/34852262/