AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-17, 19:48   Link #1
guess

VirtualDubMod/no audio?

Does anyone know how to get audio to work while opening video files under VDM or VirtualDub? I can open files and screen for all frames without problem but there is no audio. That makes editing video clip very difficult.

Btw, I am using Virtual DubMod 1.5.10. Is there a later version because there is no H.264 under compression?
Old 2006-12-17, 20:32   Link #2
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Wrong app for what you are doing. And something not 3+ years old would be a good idea too.

I'm guessing you want something akin to Adobe Premiere/whatever their latest non linear editor is.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 21:23   Link #3
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Wrong app for what you are doing. And something not 3+ years old would be a good idea too.

I'm guessing you want something akin to Adobe Premiere/whatever their latest non linear editor is.
But Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is about $800 dollars! Am I missing something here? Do you know a cheaper program for this kind of stuff? thanks.
Old 2006-12-18, 07:36   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Look for a free non linear editor (NLE). I don't know of any because I don't do that type of editing.... Actually there is Windows Movie Maker (comes with Windows), but only encodes to Windows Media obviously. Blech .

Adobe Premiere and Vegas Studio are the big ones most people use but both cost money. If you can't find a free one worth its salt and you don't want to spend any money, you should look into changing your occupations. Perhaps a pirate will suit you more :P, YAR!
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 17:20   Link #5
guess

I did say "cheaper," not "free." :P
Anyhow, I will see what I can find. thanks, though.

Last edited by guest; 2006-12-18 at 21:01. Reason: typo
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 20:45   Link #6
Harukalover
In exile

Are you trying to edit video or audio of these files?

I assume video from the first post but what would you need the audio for in vdub anyway? Unless your trying to resync the audio itself... though you should try a newer version of virtualdub since it should allow audio playback.

Also don't use virtualdubmod. It's outdated and no longer really being developed. Use VirtualDub instead which is still being developed. You lose out on mkv and ogm output but there are better and more proper tools for that. (Not so much ogm, but what would you need that format for anyway? ;P)
Old 2006-12-18, 21:05   Link #7
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
Are you trying to edit video or audio of these files?

I assume video from the first post but what would you need the audio for in vdub anyway? Unless your trying to resync the audio itself... though you should try a newer version of virtualdub since it should allow audio playback.

Also don't use virtualdubmod. It's outdated and no longer really being developed. Use VirtualDub instead which is still being developed. You lose out on mkv and ogm output but there are better and more proper tools for that. (Not so much ogm, but what would you need that format for anyway? ;P)
Don't most of video files come with audio as well?

I did not know that virtualdub has a new version. I will have to hunt for that.
Old 2006-12-18, 21:10   Link #8
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Don't most of video files come with audio as well?

I did not know that virtualdub has a new version. I will have to hunt for that.
Misunderstanding... I'm guessing you mean that vdub won't playback the audio? Because if it isn't inputting any audio then something is messed up with the audio or it's just of a format that it can't input.

Are you inputting this video with avisynth or just by using the original .avi, .mkv, .ogm, etc...?

Also the video does have audio when you play it back right?

You can get the latest virtualdub here:

http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

I would suggest using the 1.6.17 one since that is a stable build. While the 1.7.0 is an experimental build.
Old 2006-12-21, 10:08   Link #9
brood-faun

You need to install h264 encoder to able to encode using h264 codec. I believe the audio might be ac3 that's why you're not hearing sound. I remember I had this problem. You need to install some sort ac-3 decoder that is specifically for vdubmod, in order to hear the sound.
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 15:50   Link #10
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brood-faun View Post
You need to install h264 encoder to able to encode using h264 codec. I believe the audio might be ac3 that's why you're not hearing sound. I remember I had this problem. You need to install some sort ac-3 decoder that is specifically for vdubmod, in order to hear the sound.
One thing to bear in mind is that VirtualDub(Mod) uses VfW for video and ACM for sound. Because of the inherent designs of both, this limits what you can work with.

If you're crazy enough to do H.264 in AVI, your best bet is to use the H.264 encoder that comes with ffdshow. bob0r appears to have ceased maintenance on the standalone VfW H.264 encoder.

To make AC3 work in VirtualDub, you have two options:

AC3ACM which has the added bonus of being able to encode AC3.

Your other option is vac3.acm from the same author as AC3Filter, but it only decodes. It can also decode DTS.

Also, are you thinking AAC rather than AC3? If AAC, there isn't anything you can do in order to play AAC in VirtualDub(Mod) because AAC is VBR by nature and ACM wants to do things CBR. It's already tricky enough to do VBR MP3 which requires VirtualDubMod.

As for OGM, it's been more or less superseded by MKV which offers a much richer feature set. Apparently, OGM was little more than a hack to OGG so then stuff other than Xiph's own stuff can be multiplexed into it.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote