AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 05:02   Link #781
mironicus

I am also sure that the writer wants to deliver us a clear message, as he admits that this story is kind of autobiographic for him.

Out of the five members only two are taking the aim of the club very seriously and are mostly focussing on club activities. Those two who have the most things in common will likely end up as a pair at the end.

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-05-18 at 05:17.
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 15:25   Link #782
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
I am also sure that the writer wants to deliver us a clear message, as he admits that this story is kind of autobiographic for him.
I can easily imagine the author meeting in his youth four girls with the personalities/backgrounds of Yozora, Sena, Rika and Yukimura and it easy to imagine them going diffetent ways and ending unhappy or worst. So I think the author will write what he thinks he should have done then or what his personal fantasy where somehow everybody had a happy ending.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 08:57   Link #783
novalysis

I honestly think that anyone advocating that Kodaka makes a stance and choose someone should read the fanfiction A Tangled Web of Romance. While Yukimura's a little OOC, and the fic diverges from the novel probably shortly after where the anime ended, it's a very good illustration and plausible scenario of what happens if Kodaka commits, even at this point of the novel.

Of course, it veers into crazy levels of OOCness after half way through, but the earlier chapters are a very good example of just what Kodaka probably fears if he reciprocate to any of those huge flags the girls are waving infront of him.

He can't. The fallout would be severe. And he probably knows that.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 09:50   Link #784
mironicus

Quote:
someone should read the fanfiction A Tangled Web of Romance
I read some FanFictions and in most cases they are very unlikely in reflecting the personality of the characters of the original novel - in my opinion. It does not give you the same feeling.

If you know a FanFiction that reflects the characters very well I would be very grateful for a link.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:24   Link #785
novalysis

Quote:
I read some FanFictions and in most cases they are very unlikely in reflecting the personality of the characters of the original novel - in my opinion. It does not give you the same feeling.

If you know a FanFiction that reflects the characters very well I would be very grateful for a link.
I don't think there are any full length fanfictions for Boku Wa Tomodachi which fits that criteria. Haruhi Suzumiya on the other hand has quite a few, but that's OT.

Still, A Tangled Romance is a good illustration of a plausible scenario, if Kodaka actually reciprocates. I suspect that he knows, in the novels itself, that he is in danger of being at the center of a very nasty love poloygon.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:49   Link #786
mironicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I don't think there are any full length fanfictions for Boku Wa Tomodachi which fits that criteria. Haruhi Suzumiya on the other hand has quite a few, but that's OT.

Still, A Tangled Romance is a good illustration of a plausible scenario, if Kodaka actually reciprocates. I suspect that he knows, in the novels itself, that he is in danger of being at the center of a very nasty love poloygon.
Are there any fanfictions out there where sex is not involved within the story? Even this story you mentioned is full of fetish and sex. It's just reflecting the desires of the author. Call me naive, but I want a story where true love is involved and also with a great love confession - more something for the heart and not the libido.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:55   Link #787
novalysis

Quote:
Are there any fanfictions out there where sex is not involved within the story? Even this story you mentioned is full of fetish and sex. It's just reflecting the desires of the author. Call me naive, but I want a story where true love is involved and also with a great love confession.
Granted. Which is why I claimed that the characters were veering very OOC after the early chapters- in particular, Kodaka was becoming a little like Makoto....

The point is though, given how dysfunctional these characters are, realistically speaking, a Love Polygon would be likely utterly disastrous for them all.

The good LN fanfics are usually concentrated around Haruhi Fanfics- there isn't very many Boku Wa Tomodachi Fanfics out there, and most of them are rather poor IMO. But we are going OT, so if you want some recommendations there, PM me.

Maybe there should be a Hagani Fanfiction thread?
Old 2012-05-20, 12:56   Link #788
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Maybe there should be a Hagani Fanfiction thread?
Sounds like a good idea!

Created.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 00:09   Link #789
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Volume 8 slated to 6/25. No cover nor summary as of now. I'm hoping to see more Yusa Aoi and I'm also hoping for the supposedly perfect Ria-ou to be revealed the weirdest and most dysfunctional character to have ever been created by Hirasaka, but that's my wishful thinking speaking
Old 2012-05-26, 03:37   Link #790
mironicus

Ha, Ha... I can imagine how the author manages the beginning of Volume 8.

Rika: Aren't we already friends?
Kodaka: Did you say something?
Rika: No....

Old 2012-05-27, 02:42   Link #791
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Vexed released another chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night
but it's not like I absolutely need your help, and it's not like this that big of a deal, I'm just asking. It's not like choosing a present by myself would be a problem, OK? It's just that I happened to realize just now that you've probably got a better chance of picking out something she'd like, since you're her brother, so I figured I'd try asking you to come help. It's not like I'd mind if you don't want to though, so it's not like you have to worry about it.
I like a lot more Yozora take's on the tsundere archetype (independent woman covering a 'in plain view' weak spot at something that she is not used to) than Sena's (same old, same old).
Old 2012-05-27, 03:40   Link #792
mironicus

At usual, Sena is the first in taking the initiative.

She is straight and takes the lead, and is very enthusiastic. In reality I think she is also the secret leader of the club because not only she is pushing herself forward, but also the others around her in a positive way. Well she joined because she wanted friends, and all the others just wanted Kodaka from the beginning.
Old 2012-05-27, 05:42   Link #793
Johnny
Working the bags...

Sena also takes the initiative in creeping Kodaka the hell out. Also I think this one time where he's actually clueless. No acting required...

And no the secret leader is Maria...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 06:15   Link #794
potchip

For once in his life, Kodaka, just like Ken from a certain LN in a certain collaboration, made all the girls, happy. Even if this only lasted until the day of the meet up.

Btw the Hirasaka's part in the collaboration had Rika referring club members to someone else as 'friends', was wondering if it was a intentional on his part or not.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 00:15   Link #795
novalysis

I can't wait to see what happens once all of them realize what's going on. I imagine all of them are under the assumption that this is going to be a private date.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:22   Link #796
mironicus

Of course.
Old 2012-05-29, 08:31   Link #797
novalysis

I wonder whether Kodaka is being dense. Or perhaps he is deliberately trolling all of his Haremettes?
Old 2012-05-29, 09:13   Link #798
mironicus

Well... he is just pragmatic. Why should he have four dates at different times with the same purpose (buying a birthday present for Kobata)? And Kodaka wants friends first (a higher purpose) and not a romantic relationship with one of the club members.

If you had no friends for such a long time, you can't befriend yourself so easily again. Kodaka has a low self-confidence, seeing himself as a coward or worthless creature. It is believable that he does not realize that he is really being liked and loved by so many pretty girls, so he does not take them seriously at all. Any direct approach just fails. It will take some time for him to open up. The way to his heart is to build a trustful relationship with him first.

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-05-29 at 09:49.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:20   Link #799
novalysis

Quote:
Well... he is just pragmatic. Why should he have four dates at different times with the same purpose (buying a birthday present for Kobata)? And Kodaka wants friends first (a higher purpose) and not a romantic relationship with one of the club members.

If you had no friends for such a long time, you can't befriend yourself so easily again. Kodaka has a low self-confidence, seeing himself as a coward or worthless creature. It is believable that he does not realize that he is really being liked and loved by so many pretty girls, so he does not take them seriously at all. Any direct approach just fails. It will take some time for him to open up. The way to his heart is to build a trustful relationship with him first.
It depends on how you interpret Kodaka's character. I do think that there are hints here and there that he is aware of what is going on. I also recalled a scene in volume 7 where he and Rika had a rather... telling conversation of just what both of them were aware of. For some reason, I can't seem to find it right now. But, I don't think he is as dense as your "typical harem protagonist."

And I don't think his self-esteem is THAT low. Given that all four leading girls flagging signals at him (Yozora, Sena, Rika and Yukimura) are eccentric if physically very attractive girls.... that changes the equation somewhat here.

More interestingly, I get the sense that Rika is the most desperate, and most aware of the risk of getting Friendzoned. Sena is a little too oblivious, Yozora seems to have tunnel vision of sorts, and Yukimura's.... watching.

By the way, we haven't really seen what makes Yukimura tick yet. We have had Sena centric chapters, Yozora centric chapters, and recently, quite alot of Rika-centric chapters, but we don't have similar such chapters exclusively between Yukimura and Kodaka. There's alot of unanswered questions about that girl....
Old 2012-05-29, 11:43   Link #800
mironicus

Yukimura could become something like Stella in the future. She is probably not a serious love interest in this competition.

Quote:
Yozora seems to have tunnel vision of sorts
With good reasons. She just can't reach him and she does not open up to him (gaining trust) and he has no reason to open up to her. It must be painful for her watching how Sena is running circles around her in her own progress to form friendships.

Quote:
Sena is a little too oblivious
Yes, asking Kodaka for a swimming lesson and not realizing that this is actually a full-fledged date where she gave him some moments where he could protect and care for her is typical for Sena.
At the end of Episode 3 she already reached a state where she could become Kodakas girlfriend. In comparision with Yozora who had to realize in Episode 12 that their childhood friendship ended already ten years ago and that she had to form a new friendship with him.

Tags
comedy, friendship, harem, light novels, love decisions, school life, shounen