AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-17, 17:28   Link #1061
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadium View Post
Well

1. It's kind of what the story is all about. At this point putting a twist like that would just totally kill the franchise. It's an ending but it will go down VERY VERY badly.

2. It's possible to do an ending like that without making it Cliche. Depends on how he writes it.

3. Agreed, Haruhi and Kyon should just stay the way they are.

Whoa, wait, on No. 1... I'm not referring to a KyonHaruhi ending in general. I'm talking about one that specifically involves Haruhi giving up her powers just for Kyon's sake. That specific prediction I've seen quite a bit of...

An anime ending with a predictable pairing isn't necessarily too predictable... but to have that pairing, and a predictable way of setting it up... that is too predictable, imo. Let me give you an example of a predictable pairing ending that included a neat, unexpected setup that served to give the ending some oomph...

Spoiler for InuYasha manga ending:

All of that being said... I disagree with you on the effect of twist endings. NGE would not be anywhere near as memorable as it is if not for its two twist endings. A good twist ending ensures that a show is never forgotten.

Edit: Oh... I wouldn't want either Kyon or Haruhi to be killed, lol. That would be a bad twist ending. Well... it would be awfully gutsy, but I probably wouldn't like it.
Old 2009-09-17, 17:35   Link #1062
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Whoa, wait, on No. 1... I'm not referring to a KyonHaruhi ending in general. I'm talking about one that specifically involves Haruhi giving up her powers just for Kyon's sake. That specific prediction I've seen quite a bit of...

An anime ending with a predictable pairing isn't necessarily too predictable... but to have that pairing, and a predictable way of setting it up... that is too predictable, imo. Let me give you an example of a predictable pairing ending that included a neat, unexpected setup that served to give the ending some oomph...

Spoiler for InuYasha manga ending:

All of that being said... I disagree with you on the effect of twist endings. NGE would not be anywhere near as memorable as it is if not for its two twist endings. A good twist ending ensures that a show is never forgotten.

Edit: Oh... I wouldn't want either Kyon or Haruhi to be killed, lol. That would be a bad twist ending. Well... it would be awfully gutsy, but I probably wouldn't like it.
Yea i gotcha, I was commenting on that as well but i just thought i would include the twist stuff in there as well.

You see with some anime's twists work EXTREMELY well, with others they are so pathetically bad it's not even worth remembering the Anime for it. Haruhi has never been an anime based on that kind of context or method of story telling. Sure there were a few suprises

With NGE it worked because of the way it was told up to that point, The story overall as well fit such a twist in that it wouldn't totally ruin the story it would infact enhance it.

Haruhi however would be ENTIRELY ruined if you took the preexisting events, development and direction and just threw it out the window for fun. Not to mention it would most likely be written horribly with some vain attempt to justify an ending which very few people would ever be happy with.

I would like an unpredicable METHOD for ending Haruhi, Not an unpredictable ending though. I would love if there was some little twist to the end but nothing as radical as doing somthing totally out of bounds in terms of predeveloped canon.
Old 2009-09-17, 17:57   Link #1063
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or Haruhi finds out about her powers, but doesn't care...decides to make Kyon make a light novel about her and prop up an animation studio in Kyoto to do her bidding as The Ultra Director.
Old 2009-09-17, 17:59   Link #1064
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
So it turns out to be a vicious cycle.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-09-17, 18:04   Link #1065
Solachinx
is a myth

All joking aside, my ideal ending would be one where Haruhi fnds out that Kyon is John Smith and, thus, discovers her own powers. However, when she discovers that she has all this power, she becomes paranoid that she might accidently erase Kyon or one of her fellow Brigade members. So, she wishes that she never had to deal with these powers and that she could be a normal human being (as a kind of allusion to the first novel, where she wished in a flashback that she could be different), but instead she is destroyed by her own powers; she disappears for good.

Because the three (possibly four) factions were created through Haruhi, they are distroyed when she is destroyed: Itsuki reverts to normal, Mikuru is transported back to the future, and Yuki and the Data Overmind disappear along with all the other factions (the Organization, The Time Travellers, and the Anti-SOS Brigade along with their respective groups).

Itsuki and Kyon stand there: the two that were probably the most distant in the Brigade are now closer due to them being the only remaining members. Kyon stands there, astonished by what he had just witnessed: and Itsuki starts to cry a small tear. "After all that work we did to protect Miss Suzumiya from finding out her own strength, it's all wasted," mourns Itsuki "I can't help but feel some small bit of regret."

Kyon reflects on the past X years, and how he used to be a deadpan snarker and how he had been chaged by, not just Haruhi, but the entire Brigade. It finishes with Kyon saying how he'll tell his sister about a story of aliens, time travellers, espers and the mysterious god who lead them all.

A little OOC, but eh.
Old 2009-09-17, 18:37   Link #1066
Tabasco

Cue the torches and pitchforks in 3...2...1...

I'm not sure, given how upbeat the series is most of the time, an effective kill 'em all ending like that, at least of the main characters, would seem pretty out of place.
Old 2009-09-17, 18:41   Link #1067
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
All joking aside, my ideal ending would be one where Haruhi fnds out that Kyon is John Smith and, thus, discovers her own powers. However, when she discovers that she has all this power, she becomes paranoid that she might accidently erase Kyon or one of her fellow Brigade members. So, she wishes that she never had to deal with these powers and that she could be a normal human being (as a kind of allusion to the first novel, where she wished in a flashback that she could be different), but instead she is destroyed by her own powers; she disappears for good.

Because the three (possibly four) factions were created through Haruhi, they are distroyed when she is destroyed: Itsuki reverts to normal, Mikuru is transported back to the future, and Yuki and the Data Overmind disappear along with all the other factions (the Organization, The Time Travellers, and the Anti-SOS Brigade along with their respective groups).

Itsuki and Kyon stand there: the two that were probably the most distant in the Brigade are now closer due to them being the only remaining members. Kyon stands there, astonished by what he had just witnessed: and Itsuki starts to cry a small tear. "After all that work we did to protect Miss Suzumiya from finding out her own strength, it's all wasted," mourns Itsuki "I can't help but feel some small bit of regret."

Kyon reflects on the past X years, and how he used to be a deadpan snarker and how he had been chaged by, not just Haruhi, but the entire Brigade. It finishes with Kyon saying how he'll tell his sister about a story of aliens, time travellers, espers and the mysterious god who lead them all.

A little OOC, but eh.
Oh, hey, I think I have that doujinshi! But for some strange reason, mine ends with a lot more NSFW Koizumi*Kyon scenes...

Old 2009-09-18, 01:30   Link #1068
freakonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or Haruhi finds out about her powers, but doesn't care...decides to make Kyon make a light novel about her and prop up an animation studio in Kyoto to do her bidding as The Ultra Director.
You know what, I always think that Kyon's design (which was done by Ito) is somewhat similar to Tanigawa himself.

Old 2009-09-18, 03:05   Link #1069
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post

A little OOC, but eh.
Ah, the Itsuki ending. Definitely BAD END.

I myself favor the "ascend to godhood" ending. Mikuru goes back to the future, but gives some cryptic message before she goes hinting that they'll meet again (leaving the entire fandom to argue over whether this means she always knew about Mikuru(big) or it means they'll meet in some other way). Itsuki...well, it ends up that the Organization was the real Big Bad, so, it's not pretty... Yuki sacrifices herself to save Kyon, but that was just her interface, so she shows back up near he end. And Kyon ends up with Tsuruya and they have a crapload of kids, one of whom later marries Bespectacled Boy, but that's another story...
Old 2009-09-18, 03:52   Link #1070
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I'm not sure, given how upbeat the series is most of the time, an effective kill 'em all ending like that, at least of the main characters, would seem pretty out of place.
Actually, Haruhi has been having some dark stories lately, and the series is usually dark itself (well, in the novels, anyway). Besides, only 2 main characters reaééy die :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

I myself favor the "ascend to godhood" ending. Mikuru goes back to the future, but gives some cryptic message before she goes hinting that they'll meet again (leaving the entire fandom to argue over whether this means she always knew about Mikuru(big) or it means they'll meet in some other way). Itsuki...well, it ends up that the Organization was the real Big Bad, so, it's not pretty... Yuki sacrifices herself to save Kyon, but that was just her interface, so she shows back up near he end. And Kyon ends up with Tsuruya and they have a crapload of kids, one of whom later marries Bespectacled Boy, but that's another story...
Don't forget his house with dog and yard and money!
Old 2009-09-18, 06:11   Link #1071
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

Tsuruya isn't important enough outside of her value as an external character, and having Haruhi ascend to godhood would be both a punch in the gut and unrealistic, as she is less "god" and more "a human with the ability to break physics".

Orihime and Hikoboshi are the real gods, if you ask me. I really want to see what Haruhi will do for her second Tanabata of high school...
Old 2009-09-18, 06:40   Link #1072
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I'd kind of like this ending, I think. I'm curious over who "Bespectacled Boy" is, though. I wonder which character is being referenced there.

... Of all the HaruhiKyon possibilities that I can think of off-the-top of my head, I'd prefer one where Haruhi learns about her powers just in time to save the day, decides that she'd like to have them but not awareness of them, and entrusts Kyon with hiding this truth from her after she uses her awakened powers to deal with the big bad (whoever that ends up being - I am inclined to think that one of the SOS Brigade members could very well end up going villainous and turning on everybody else; I myself am currently leaning towards Itsuki here).

Then we go back to square one, only with Kyon having promised the self-imposed partially-amnesiac Haruhi to keep her in the dark about her powers.
Old 2009-09-18, 08:56   Link #1073
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
The bespectacled boy is a boy with glasses who's important enough to get a nickname, but not important enough to get an actual name.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-18, 09:07   Link #1074
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
The bespectacled boy is a boy with glasses who's important enough to get a nickname, but not important enough to get an actual name.
Thank you, here's a cookie.
Old 2009-09-18, 09:16   Link #1075
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well, I can't say why he's semi-important.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-18, 10:29   Link #1076
Triple_R
*Author

This novel author really hates names, doesn't he?
Old 2009-09-18, 11:23   Link #1077
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well you have to figure, the story is seemingly written as though Kyon was giving an autobiography. How many random people do you bother to ask for their names, much less remember them?
Old 2009-09-18, 11:29   Link #1078
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well you have to figure, the story is seemingly written as though Kyon was giving an autobiography. How many random people do you bother to ask for their names, much less remember them?
Tsuruya, Taniguchi, and Kunikida are 'random people' to Kyon?

It's not just how some people completely lack names; it's how even important characters weren't assigned a given name.

Although, if this Bespectacled Boy does something important in the novels, and is a student at Kyon's school...
Old 2009-09-18, 11:38   Link #1079
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I'll give you Tsuruya, but Taniguchi only serves a purpose when a random detail about Haruhi's middle school years is needed, and Kunikida is there to serve that purpose for Kyon. Beyond that, they may as well be "Guy A" and "Guy B."
Old 2009-09-18, 12:35   Link #1080
Tornadium

Well,

To those who put forward the alternate theories for endings...They are pretty cool and creative granted. Sadly the majority will just not happen ( I think at least) and if they do there is going to be a LOT of backlash.

Haruhi has never really been a novel focused on Sacrifice, death and bad endings. If ANY of the main 5 characters die in the ending it will basically guarantee the series will die as a whole. They did it with very successful series in the past and what was originally viewed as a really good series was transformed into some of the most hated series almost overnight.

One thing which won't happen

1. Anyone "Dying" in the ending. This includes Haruhi, Kyon, Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki. Also no "Haruhi ascending to godhood and disappearing.
Closed Thread