AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 04:28   Link #13341
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
I'm now under the impression that Hakoniwa Academy was an institution for severe cases of 8th grade syndrome.
All the skills and minus and every bit of fighting...all in their imaginations.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 01:19   Link #13342
Kon the Magnificent

The End is here. I will miss this series. We had a good run and a very good four years. I won't forget this series that's for damn sure. Medaka Box was wonderful. All miss the characters especially Naze and Shiranui. They were my favorite.
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 01:45   Link #13343
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Feels like yesterday this series was just starting and now it is over. I have a soft spot for it since it is the first Jump series I was able to follow from its debut to when it officially ended. All of the other ones had ended over a decade ago(Ruroken, Houshin Engi, Dragonball etc) or had been going on already for several years.(HunterxHunter, One Piece etc)

My biggest complaint will probably be that it never fully explored and added depth to certain parts of the series. The compression was welcomed in some aspects(training arcs) but were depressing in others. Outside of a few ambiguous ends, I was good with the ending.

Also count me in on the dislike for the Japanese obsession with thinking adolescence/teenage years are apparently the best part of a life span that lasts decades. But that is largely due to their culture and how screwed up things get beyond their teenage years in society. So if nothing else, I do understand why they never seem to let that period of life go.

Just like Kurosu, I'm pretty surprised how much Jump supported the series all things considered. A shame it didn't hold up it's end of the bargain as much but the anime pretty much killed its chances to soar any higher. If Nishio ever does decide to do manga again I would love if he paired up with Akira Akatsuki a 2nd time. I liked their combination for the most part.
Old 2013-04-25, 01:46   Link #13344
Wolfenstein

"Meh" ending. It's been mostly fun, I guess. Would definitely hope many parts of the plot had not happened, but what is done is done.

Looking forward to that next Good Loser Kumagawa chapter.
Old 2013-04-25, 01:58   Link #13345
Xion Valkyrie

Are we sure it's over or is it all an elaborate troll?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 02:33   Link #13346
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
i'll only be missing Kumagawa, or rather, Nisio's avatar :O
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 04:06   Link #13347
orangejuicetang

Ending was kinda weird imo

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 04:43   Link #13348
IronicTruth

I just really hope that the whole "Moon plan" does not make a sequel for this.
IronicTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 05:20   Link #13349
Grey

So not just Medaka, but lots of them lost their powers? Weak. That's like removing magic from a high-magic fantasy setting, or knocking everyone down to the stone age in a sci-fi setting. Or turning courageous, determined heroes into normal, mediocre people.

Meh. Oh well.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 05:59   Link #13350
Sixth
Hu Tao

Wow...what a crap ending. People loses their skills when they reached adulthood? Serious? Serious? That was extremely lame. If the writer wants his characters lost his power, at least come out with something sensible such as people gradually losing their powers because the earth's magnetic got disrupted because of no moon and etc....At least in FF6, the magic cease to exist because of God of Magic is dead.

Hate to says this but Nishio is really an incompetent writer...or rather, he chose to be incompetent.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:14   Link #13351
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

Wow...what a crap ending. People loses their skills when they reached adulthood? Serious? Serious? That was extremely lame. If the writer wants his characters lost his power, at least come out with something sensible such as people gradually losing their powers because the earth's magnetic got disrupted because of no moon and etc....At least in FF6, the magic cease to exist because of God of Magic is dead.

Hate to says this but Nishio is really an incompetent writer...or rather, he chose to be incompetent.
Well, the god of "magic" is dead. Anshin'in-san is gone, right?
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:21   Link #13352
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Well, the god of "magic" is dead. Anshin'in-san is gone, right?
Umm no she's alive as the chapter stated. Basically what this chapter was saying is that the abilities were directly linked to their personalities as they mellowed out as they grew older they gradually lost their abilities, Naze kept hers because her personality never really changed, and Shiranui never really changed full stop.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2013-04-25 at 06:36.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:30   Link #13353
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Umm no she's alive as the chapter stated. Basically what this chapter was saying is that the abilities were directly linked to their personalities as they mellowed out as they grew older they gradually lost their abilities, Naze kept her because hers personality never really changed, and Shiranui never really changed full stop.
That makes the "what a crap, they lost their skills because of growing adult" arguments look even more crappy then. But Rational thinking hasn't been the forte in this thread.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:37   Link #13354
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
That makes the "what a crap, they lost their skills because of growing adult" arguments look even more crappy then. But Rational thinking hasn't been the forte in this thread.
Yes, it was completely irrational for someone who even defending this series.

I'm glad you realize that.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:58   Link #13355
Jetzero Infinity

I have to say I liked the ending. Wasn't mindblowingly good or anything but I can be complacent with the notion of skills being related to childhood and extreme personalities since the latter was pretty much outright told to us from the get go. I do like this explanation on TV Tropes someone brought up for it though:

Quote:
They specifically told us, didn't they? "No one's a genius over the age of 20". By the time you're an adult, both your natural talent (Plus) and your unfortunate circumstances (Minus) are supposed to stop being the major influences over your life. It's time to take responsibility for your life and who you want to be. You are what you've made of yourself, for better or worse.
The moon thing is still pretty weird though. I know it's best not to put too much logic into this series given how absurd it is but maybe they should have used something else instead.

I'll really miss this series. Sure it was far from perfect but it was almost always entertaining and it was fun reading each chapter just to see what absurd thing Nishio would pull on us next. Also have to say I enjoyed how much the series played with and subverted Shonen Jump tropes, even if it did have to play some of them straight in the end. Only serious regret is the middle school thing was never fully fleshed out, but I guess it's not that hard to put the pieces together for that one.

Overall I give the series a 4.8/5. It's a flawed but ultimately fun series and while I don't know if it'll get replaced as my favorite manga, I'll always remember how fun it was.

On a random note, not that it matters much or anything but who do you think won the fight between Zen and Medaka? Since she's not almighty anymore it's kind of hard to guess.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 07:49   Link #13356
Thth
???

Ok end.
The manga could have done without the retarded moon business. It took a complete nosedive after that. At least the last chapter was OK with some sort of conclusion rather than moon chapters + final arc which were complete disasters.
Thth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 07:51   Link #13357
Humble Loser
Spineless Main Character

I would put money on Medaka winning. If she wanted to win bad enough, she could get back up from the 10+ dogs in the room, momentarily distract Zenkichi, fire a low blow and win the fight. Who knows.

It was a fun ride. I'm more mellow, so I took the good with the bad in a more calm stride than some here. Do I wish some things were better? Oh yeah. But it was unique enough that I realize it went beyond my expectations and gave me new ideas. Perhaps in the future, something this strange, crazy and at times trolling will be perfected. That would be fun to see.
Humble Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 08:08   Link #13358
Nemesis@
*Artist

It was not so bad. We know that Zen and Medaka will marry since both kicked it. Unfortunately we have not seen any of the two kissing in the series finale. Well, I liked the page with all stages of Medaka. :P

Hopefully with GLK can see more of what happened.
Nemesis@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 08:27   Link #13359
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetzero Infinity View Post
I do like this explanation on TV Tropes someone brought up for it though
One has to wonder, though. How do Zen's Zero's fit into all that? He has skills, but his mentality and such is neither plus nor minus.

Because a Zero is basically a skill to have that exact same description apply to Zenkichi when he was a teenager.
Devil Style neutralized fate and Model Zenkichi simply allowed Zenkichi to perceive his own limits.

So how did he lose that?
Old 2013-04-25, 08:43   Link #13360
Thth
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
One has to wonder, though. How do Zen's Zero's fit into all that? He has skills, but his mentality and such is neither plus nor minus.

Because a Zero is basically a skill to have that exact same description apply to Zenkichi when he was a teenager.
Devil Style neutralized fate and Model Zenkichi simply allowed Zenkichi to perceive his own limits.

So how did he lose that?
Shit happens. That's all the explanation needed lol.
Or he doesn't give a shit anymore, take you pick
Thth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council