AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-24, 08:47   Link #521
wistfulloner

Quote:
So, we finally start really seeing the masks come down. Minori makes her confession and as I thought, she's been in love with Ryuuji for some time.

As usually happens in these situations, the boy never really considered that maybe the girl he liked might like him too. Being afraid of getting a rejection, sometimes it is easier to just dream of said girl and come up with complicated schemes to find JUST the right moment and place to either confess or ask the girl out. Rejection is tough to take no matter where you are in life, but in high school, I do remember how guys and girls took rejection and often it wasn't very well. Its funny how in hindsight, the things that seemed so important back in high school were in fact trivial, but that's how it always is in life.
Found this off a blog.

It is a pretty close comparison to the relationships of all the characters. Thought it would be interesting to share.
Old 2009-03-24, 09:14   Link #522
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Waitaminute... it just occurred to me... Ryuuji's maternal grandparents are named Takasu?
Yup. Ryuuji has her mother last name. She never married Ryuujis father - she was underage then, and later he went missing (quite possibly sleeping with fishes in Tokyo Bay ).
Old 2009-03-24, 09:25   Link #523
akitoki
Suki Da Yo

Hmm...during the bridge scene, Taiga said "Idiot!Idiot!Idiot!Idiot!Baldy!Baldy"

Could someone explain what baldy is supposed to represent? I don't quite get it xD
Old 2009-03-24, 09:40   Link #524
typhonsentra

I took it as a reference to Shana. Same way they had her repeat "Urusai" three times in the first episode.
Old 2009-03-24, 09:48   Link #525
Kijuto

It was a reference to Shana. During one of the OVAs she gets ice cream on Yuuji's head and he thinks he will have to cut it now. She calls him stupid and 'baldy' over and over and tells him he has to shave it bald. Also happens when she plans to train on top of his head as mini-Shana and would burn his hair off. I'll edit the post if I find it.
Old 2009-03-24, 10:16   Link #526
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I really wished I could have unwatched the Shakugan no Shana-tan OVAs....
Old 2009-03-24, 11:03   Link #527
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I really wished I could have unwatched the Shakugan no Shana-tan OVAs....

Why would you say that? I just started watching this series yesterday ( Thanks Ryuou for the recommendation ). So far its been pretty good. Im on episode 7 and it's starting to get really interesting.

Please PM me so as to stay on topic.

The girl who does Taiga's voice does Shana's voice right? The only reason I could tell is when she screamed urasai! urasai! urasai! it sounded exactly like Taiga.
Old 2009-03-24, 11:19   Link #528
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Yes Shana and Taiga have the same actress's voice , Louise in Zero no Tsukaima too .
For "Urusai" and "Baldy" it was a reference with To Aru Majutsu no Index-tan too .
Old 2009-03-24, 12:15   Link #529
akitoki
Suki Da Yo

thank you for your replies guys =)...maybe I should start watching shana when toradora!'s over..
Old 2009-03-24, 12:28   Link #530
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Thanks for the enlightenment! I was starting to wonder whether baldy/hage is a common insult in Japanese. Without your explanation, I might have started calling my Japanese friends "hage" and be met with blank stares or labelled an otaku

Thanks for clarifying the surname matter too. I actually thought that those were Ryuuji's paternal grandparents... which confused me a bit when I read some spoilers over at the novel discussion thread *shuts up*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitoki View Post
thank you for your replies guys =)...maybe I should start watching shana when toradora!'s over..
I was just thinking of that too. But then, I looked up Shana on Wikipedia and discovered that the anime has two seasons totalling 48 episodes and the novel still hasn't ended yet. I really can't be bothered to watch something that goes on forever and has no ending. The beauty of Toradora is that it's contained within 25 episodes and was scheduled to end together with the light novel.
Old 2009-03-24, 13:02   Link #531
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Yes Shana and Taiga have the same actress's voice , Louise in Zero no Tsukaima too .
For "Urusai" and "Baldy" it was a reference with To Aru Majutsu no Index-tan too .
Also Nagi from Hayate no Gotoku is the same tsundere archetype done by Kugimiya Rie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment! I was starting to wonder whether baldy/hage is a common insult in Japanese. Without your explanation, I might have started calling my Japanese friends "hage" and be met with blank stares or labelled an otaku
Yeah it may be safer to go ahead and double check with someone before you start repeating stuff from anime. Not everything will roll over to RL the same.
Old 2009-03-24, 13:42   Link #532
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Haha that pretty funny. I can imagine the uncomfortable silence after you cracking a baldy joke.
Old 2009-03-24, 13:47   Link #533
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
When Ryu went off of Yasuko did elses heart just break after seeing that look in her eye?

Where i come from you dont talk to your mama that way i would decked Ryu nice and good for that little outburst.

Oh well i held off on commenting on the episode since i really was not feeling i gave it a 7 but the random running away marriage thing really bothered me the direction just seems wrong to me now.
Old 2009-03-24, 14:08   Link #534
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
When Ryu went off of Yasuko did elses heart just break after seeing that look in her eye?

Where i come from you dont talk to your mama that way i would decked Ryu nice and good for that little outburst.

Oh well i held off on commenting on the episode since i really was not feeling i gave it a 7 but the random running away marriage thing really bothered me the direction just seems wrong to me now.
you know it was pretty harsh of Ryu to say those things ( even though they were true ) but Yasuko was being a total bitch. Ryuji was working because she was too sick to work and she told him that it was "Unforgivable"

WTF? Unforgivable? The first time in Ryuji's life that he ever disobeyed her and he was half doing it for her and half for his ego, and it was "Unforgivable".

I think Ryuji had every right to lay into her.
Old 2009-03-24, 14:12   Link #535
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Tough call. They were both out of line, and Ryuji's issues did need to be addressed. Though he didn't need to be that harsh.

Then again - he lost control. It happens.
Old 2009-03-24, 15:29   Link #536
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

"the error is human" ^^

"you are a human so you are an error" XD
Old 2009-03-24, 16:09   Link #537
gigithestar

I never understood what Ami saw in Ryuji seriously from the first moment she met him she didn't know anything about the guy and when she started to know things about him..it got on her nerves..I guess its one of those things that can be called love at first sight?
Old 2009-03-24, 16:20   Link #538
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigithestar View Post
I never understood what Ami saw in Ryuji seriously from the first moment she met him she didn't know anything about the guy and when she started to know things about him..it got on her nerves..I guess its one of those things that can be called love at first sight?
Good point. Excluding love at first sight, I can only think of two other reasons, both of which also apply to Kitamura Yuusaku: (1) Ryuuji and Yuusaku were the only two boys who didn't drool or make funny eyes whenever Ami was near, (2) they appreciated Ami for her real personality rather than her appearance. Why she felt attracted to Ryuuji and not Yuusaku probably has something to do with the thoughts and hormones of a chihuahua in heat (no, honestly, people and chihuahuas are genetically programmed to be attracted to certain pheromones associated with different HLA haplotypes and such).
Old 2009-03-24, 16:27   Link #539
gigithestar

Quote:
Good point. Excluding love at first sight, I can only think of two other reasons, both of which also apply to Kitamura Yuusaku: (1) Ryuuji and Yuusaku were the only two boys who didn't drool or make funny eyes whenever Ami was near, (2) they appreciated Ami for her real personality rather than her appearance. Why she felt attracted to Ryuuji and not Yuusaku probably has something to do with the thoughts and hormones of a chihuahua in heat (no, honestly, people and chihuahuas are genetically programmed to be attracted to certain pheromones associated with different HLA haplotypes and such).
that's a disturbing image of Ami now but in all fairness I see why Taiga called her chihuahua. Those are good points but I guess it was that she known Kitamura since a child making it almost unlikely to have feeling towards him.
Old 2009-03-24, 16:49   Link #540
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigithestar View Post
that's a disturbing image of Ami now but in all fairness I see why Taiga called her chihuahua. Those are good points but I guess it was that she known Kitamura since a child making it almost unlikely to have feeling towards him.
True. Well, in all fairness to Ami, isn't Ryuuji of the same species? Different breed though... "sugar slug dog", according to Taiga in episode 17
Closed Thread