AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 12:59   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Character discussion - Isara

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Isara related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valkyria Chronicles fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:08   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Isara, kawaii yo, Isara~ (;´Д`)ハァハァ
Imouto moe~, cape moe~, knife swinging moe~

I'd like her to work on a tank or two for me too... *watches own tanks drive into a lake and explode >Battalion Wars*
Haa...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-24, 18:28   Link #3
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Love Isara.

Hoko Kuwashima does it so well. Laura Bailey too, but needs a little more work with her voice here.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2009-05-17 at 18:31.
Old 2009-04-26, 09:44   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

An adorable character, one that is easily becoming my favorite in the show.

And, with regards to her........

Spoiler for eps. 3:
Old 2009-04-26, 09:57   Link #5
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post

Spoiler for eps. 3:
Well she's technically the Jew(I apologize if i sound offensive) and we all know how Jews were treated during that period.
Old 2009-04-26, 09:59   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well she's technically the Jew(I apologize if i sound offensive) and we all know how Jews were treated during that period.
Yes, I also couldn't help to make that comparison (don't want to sound offensive either, btw).
Old 2009-04-26, 13:16   Link #7
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
<3 Isara, I loved her in the game too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post

Spoiler for eps. 3:
Spoiler for sorta spoiler for future events:
Old 2009-04-26, 21:57   Link #8
shcfyd
snow is fluffy

Quote:
I wouldn't put it that way...more like, the darcsens were inspired or based on the Jewish people but are by no means Jewish
Old 2009-04-27, 01:08   Link #9
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcfyd View Post
I wouldn't put it that way...more like, the darcsens were inspired or based on the Jewish people but are by no means Jewish
Stretching this a bit further, I'll also say that you could compare Isara with an Al Bhed from FFX. They also got the shaft from the Yevonites and most of them were actually very good with machines.

Though, I have no clue if the same applies to the darcsens; That is, being good with machines for most of them.
Old 2009-04-27, 05:56   Link #10
Father Hentai

Quote:
That was first thoughts when I played the game. And also there are some similarities between Darcsens and the jews living in Europe (especially those who lived in Germany). Don' t know if all knew about this but during WWI about 100.000 jews fought for the country they lived.
Old 2009-05-02, 18:11   Link #11
Avisch
Reality Blender

I like her character. I mean the first major thing she does in the show is quickly grab a rifle and shoot a soldier through a window, therefore removing all possibility of Alicia saying "You're just a kid".

Being Jewish. I found it very interesting to see that they decided to include a counter-part for the Jews (I didn't expect them to have one, even though this is based of WWI-II).

One crazy B****
Old 2009-05-02, 20:28   Link #12
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The Darcsen subplot is somewhat important. Easiest way to tell is from the hair colour. So, if you cannot see anyone's hair for any reason, keep this in mind.

If I'm not mistaken, in the game, Squad 7 has quite a number of Darcsens.
Old 2009-05-02, 23:52   Link #13
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
The Darcsen subplot is somewhat important. Easiest way to tell is from the hair colour. So, if you cannot see anyone's hair for any reason, keep this in mind.

If I'm not mistaken, in the game, Squad 7 has quite a number of Darcsens.
Spoiler for darcsen spoilers:
Old 2009-05-03, 07:22   Link #14
Unknown Soldier
:D

I would argue that Isara is the strongest person of the three main characters, by virtue of having been persecuted her entire life as a Darcsen. It's also not wise to mess with her, as that Imperial soldier discovered while peeping at then through a window at Welkin's house.

I think of the Darcsens as a combination of the Jews and the Roma people (Gypsies) in WWII-era Europe. The dark hair which distinguishes them is a reference to the Roma people who look very ethnically distinct from most white Europeans, whereas the persistent persecution is very much a reference to the treatment of European Jews for hundreds of years leading up to WWII. However it's unlikely most Japanese would be directly aware of persecution of Jews in Europe, so most Japanese viewers would probably draw parallels with the persecution of the burakumin in their own society.
Old 2009-05-13, 11:27   Link #15
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

So Isara might be building a potential relationship with Faldio's lackey? That's fine, I suppose... though I'm honestly hoping for a little more conflict between Rosie and Isara about the Darcsen issue, so we'll have to see. Maybe the lackey will get thrown into the mix too, since the next episodes is apparently about Darcsens.
Old 2009-05-13, 16:56   Link #16
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
though I'm honestly hoping for a little more conflict between Rosie and Isara about the Darcsen issue, so we'll have to see. Maybe the lackey will get thrown into the mix too, since the next episodes is apparently about Darcsens.
I just don't see the point of Faldio's lacky even if it is used for Darcsen development. They don't need him to develop it and if he is used for romantic purposes, I can't see that being of any help either.
Old 2009-05-13, 17:41   Link #17
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I just don't see the point of Faldio's lacky even if it is used for Darcsen development. They don't need him to develop it and if he is used for romantic purposes, I can't see that being of any help either.
maybe they use him and change the story drastically and.....

Heavy, and l mean heavy HUGE spoilers is about to go down ...don't click on the spoiler thingy if u have not played the game
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-13, 18:21   Link #18
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

Heavy, and l mean heavy HUGE spoilers is about to go down ...don't click on the spoiler thingy if u have not played the game
Spoiler:
Now that does seem like a very plausable use for him, but I think doing that would ruin a very well done scene from the game. It just wouldn't impact me at all if they use him for that unless he somehow becomes a character I turn out liking.
Old 2009-05-13, 19:54   Link #19
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

Spoiler:

No... That would ruin everything that made Valkyria Chronicles awesome. I don't care if they change some parts of the game. But, the major scenes should be kept in tact.

Spoiler for Major spoilers, don't read if you haven't played the game:
Old 2009-05-13, 20:00   Link #20
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

that scene was random and uncalled for....the bickering between the two seemed to have been resolved already...it was just used for shock value and nothing more....

but that's just me....
Closed Thread