AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-24, 14:12   Link #861
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Seitokai's 6000+ unit average over two volumes seems pretty solid looking at data from the past few years, there's quite a few shows that got sequels with those sorts of sales numbers. That said, per volume sales numbers in 2010 seem very strong compared to a few years back (I get the impression that the industry was producing more than it could effectively sell at that time) so I have to wonder if the bar has been raised.

Does anyone have experience with showing this to other people? I love this show, but I found it took me a few episodes to really get into it. In my experience, that's not always conducive to getting people to give a show a chance.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 14:31   Link #862
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There definitely won't be one *next* season as the slots are already all allocated. But next year there will be material from volume 3, 4, and possibly 5 to work with ... so I'd assume that both Working!! and Seitokai Yakuindomo are *possible*.

The industry is really strange in this respect -- many anime shows with very obvious sequel potential in terms of sales and merchandise don't happen. It is almost neurotic the way they seem to cast off obviously successful properties to "do something else". Problem is you can only do so many "something else" properties before they start looking like knockoffs of each other.
Exactly the reason why i didnt hold my breath for getting a Working!! sequel anytime soon much to my dismay. This aspect of the anime industry can be quite frustrating for some hardcore fans of certain franchisees.

I will certainly miss Seitokai Yakuindomo once its over its become one of my corner stone animes for the week.
Old 2010-09-24, 15:18   Link #863
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Seitokai's 6000+ unit average over two volumes seems pretty solid looking at data from the past few years, there's quite a few shows that got sequels with those sorts of sales numbers. That said, per volume sales numbers in 2010 seem very strong compared to a few years back (I get the impression that the industry was producing more than it could effectively sell at that time) so I have to wonder if the bar has been raised.

Does anyone have experience with showing this to other people? I love this show, but I found it took me a few episodes to really get into it. In my experience, that's not always conducive to getting people to give a show a chance.
I've shown it to a few people... first thing is they have to commit to 3 episodes (~60 minutes -minus the OP/ED after 1st view). If they do that, they usually start laughing. Most of them start laughing more around the time Tsuda is moaning/crying when Shino is watching the "idol video" and keeps firing questions at Tsuda. That and Hata are usually enough "hook". Then there's the Mutsumi "confession mode judo" moment...

People who are willing to sit through "2 hr premiere" of a series ought to be willing to give 3 episodes a chance (or at least that's my persuasive point ).
Old 2010-09-24, 16:32   Link #864
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've shown it to a few people... first thing is they have to commit to 3 episodes (~60 minutes -minus the OP/ED after 1st view). If they do that, they usually start laughing. Most of them start laughing more around the time Tsuda is moaning/crying when Shino is watching the "idol video" and keeps firing questions at Tsuda. That and Hata are usually enough "hook". Then there's the Mutsumi "confession mode judo" moment...

People who are willing to sit through "2 hr premiere" of a series ought to be willing to give 3 episodes a chance (or at least that's my persuasive point ).
For me, I recommended it to a friend last week, though I wonder how much it counts since he already loves "dirty" type of humor like this. He's pretty much hooked as early as the Tsuda video, and already marathoned all 12 eps last I talked to him, asking me for more.

I do agree, I find about 3-episode taste-test is the most ideal way to gauge a series. Just seeing the pilot is sometimes okay (Cross Game comes to mind), but sometimes it's not enough to see everything, in 3 eps sometimes we can get a short arc which would be enough to predict what's the show is about. I experienced it here, I found the first episode to be just average but I gave it a chance and true enough, in a few episodes afterward it managed to find its footing and become even funnier as time goes on.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 18:27   Link #865
Westlo
Lets be reality

Off AOD... Seitokai Yakuindomo Vol. 3 does 1,430/3,607 for 5,037. Vol. 1 is up to 6,446.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Seitokai's 6000+ unit average over two volumes seems pretty solid looking at data from the past few years, there's quite a few shows that got sequels with those sorts of sales numbers.
6000+ is well above the Manabi Line (2,899) of where most shows turn a profit. I think a sequel depends on what GoHands wants to do, since they have left Satelite to strike out on their own they've done Princess Lover, Seitokai Yakuindomo and are working on three 1 hour movies of Mardock Scramble... this will really show us how good GoHands are at animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Exactly the reason why i didnt hold my breath for getting a Working!! sequel anytime soon much to my dismay. This aspect of the anime industry can be quite frustrating for some hardcore fans of certain franchisees.
A-1 Studio's is big.. and of the 4 shows they have produced that have sold over 10,000 copies.. 2 have received sequels this year, 1 is waiting on material from a manga on hiatus due to the sickness of the mangaka and the last one is Working.

Kannagi and Working will get sequels.. it's just a matter of when not if... well Kanngai was at "if" not to long ago but the mangaka seems to have recovered.

Quote:
I will certainly miss Seitokai Yakuindomo once its over its become one of my corner stone animes for the week.
Working was my cornerstone last season and Seitokai has been for this season.. hope I can find something for the upcoming one..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 03:15   Link #866
coderlan
Student

need more Mutsumi!! anyway, i hope that there is a second season.
coderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 05:39   Link #867
Solafighter
Hige

Question: Are the DVD/Blue Ray's without the censoring? Like, that the bad words are not blurred with the beeep sound.
Or are they the very same, just with better quality?
Old 2010-09-25, 06:07   Link #868
Chuumi

SYD is one of the best comedies of the season year in my opinion. Not one episode has failed to make me laugh, and the voice actors are amazing! This is one of the first animes I have watched where I like every character's voice. Speaking of voices, is Tsuda's friend voiced by Shiraishi Minoru? That scream gave me some serious Taniguchi-vibes .

My favourite moment from episode 12 was Kotomi's interview (my, my, she and Yokoshima-sensei are going to become great friends, huh?), followed by Tsuda immidiately knowing who the interviewer was and picturing Yokoshima-sensei in a George-outfit going "yay!". Suzu being held like a baby was another fine moment, especially with that background and music .

It really is a shame that the next episode is goint to be the last one.
Old 2010-09-25, 08:58   Link #869
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Question: Are the DVD/Blue Ray's without the censoring? Like, that the bad words are not blurred with the beeep sound.
Or are they the very same, just with better quality?
I don't have them myself, but if I remember what the other guys already said here correctly, they said that the mosaics (like in the OP) are removed, and there's two audio tracks you can follow, one with bleeps and and one without.

About this show being the no.1 comedy anime this year, I'm not too sure...if every episode is something like, say, ep 11 then maybe, but like Arakawa last season this type comedy may not be suited to everyone and needs some getting used to for a couple episodes. Especially if Baka Test got included in this year...
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 09:25   Link #870
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
*snip*

... Especially if Baka Test got included in this year...
Good objection, I'd have a hard time telling which one i like better in terms of comedy.
Then again I don't think I need to since those two are so much different in how the comedic content is presented, especially with SYD having a great reflective awareness of its own cheesy jokes and on top of that being completely and refreshingly blunt about it.
So as you mentioned it pretty much depends on one's taste but i also think in many cases (just as myself) people will like both for their respective qualities.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 11:03   Link #871
Seiryuu

OK, I see the way the censor thing works. Are there any fansubs that have the uncensored versions? Also, are there any AVI format versions with the uncensored track? I found one sub, Kira (appears to be one of the group that takes existing sub text and replaces the video with its BD version). I'd like to have them in AVI, because while my main computer handles mkv, mp4, etc. without a hitch, I sometimes like to watch it on my portable (and much older) computer, or put it on my PS3 (which refuses to support those files).
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 12:10   Link #872
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for SkYnet Database 13 - "The End in the Middle, The Middle at the Beginning and the Beginning is Nowhere In Sight":
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 14:09   Link #873
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for last episode and final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 21:02   Link #874
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
It sure is weird having the 4th wall broken so thoroughly in an anime, to the point of promoting the series after them.

Last edited by Hypernova; 2010-09-25 at 21:17.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 21:39   Link #875
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably one of the outstanding gifs of the season... she's having so much fun.

But yeah... ditto serenade beta, finished this with a bit of a ego-laced train wreck by the production team. OTOH... there's certainly enough authentic material for at least 12 more episodes.

Newsflash to anime production teams -- you are usually NOT as funny or able to write as well as the manga/lightnovel writers who were able to get their material green lit for adaptation. Stop it.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-09-25 at 21:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 21:39   Link #876
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Spoiler for final eps:
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 21:52   Link #877
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

For ep 13, I think the 4th wall bit about Hakuoiki strongly suggests 2nd season by the way it was presented. The wrap party format of the 2nd half was meh though, even though we did get some modified "flashbacks". No reason why they couldn't have just used the normal rapid-fire joke format to get to the last few minutes where they concluded things.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 22:08   Link #878
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
It sure is weird having the 4th wall broken so thoroughly in an anime, to the point of promoting the series after them.

Spoiler for Picture:
I find this disturbing in sooooooo many situations
Old 2010-09-25, 23:19   Link #879
Milfeulle9001

SYD ended today.

It is a sad day.
Milfeulle9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 00:20   Link #880
HandofFate

nooo...its over. Not the best episode, but I guess it did its thing in wrapping everything up.

I think my favorite character is Mitsuba, she brightens up every scene with her energy. Also loved her 'memory scene' portion of this episode.

Tags
comedy, shounen