AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-12, 06:57   Link #421
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

they just dont want to sexualy confuse 13 year olds which is understandable. look at that 10 year old who got the sex change...
Old 2011-09-12, 07:01   Link #422
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

There is nothing wrong with presenting both sides of the coin. Indeed, one can make the argument that exposing kids to these events from a young age might make them more open minded.

However, by the same count there is also nothing wrong with not presenting both sides of the coin. Millions of books, movies and games don't have same sex romances. And they're hardly all bad because of it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 07:07   Link #423
Westlo
Lets be reality

Hmm my hype levels for this game have gone down considerably.. really need a release date locked in to hype myself up again.. but I think Guild Wars 2 is the main reason my hype has gone down.. that shit looks awesome... Smuggler vid was pretty cool though, but I just don't see that cover mechanic working well in PVP... you need to be able to move....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 07:10   Link #424
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

My hype hasn't died down, but in the same time I'm just looking forward to a good story. not sex or PVP =\
Old 2011-09-12, 07:31   Link #425
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm going to play both games, twice the fun. But yeah, my hype levels have died down too. Probably will rise again come release, but three years is a long time.

As for the cover mechanic, word from the testers is that its something that requires an entirely different approach to PvP, but if you can find a good spot you can be nearly impossible to dislodge. Bioware CM's themselves have said that using your area to your advantage is not considered foul play in this game, citing an example where a lone smuggler was holding a bridge against ranged classes and just knocking all melee classes into the abyss below with the AoE knockback.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 07:35   Link #426
Westlo
Lets be reality

Well I'll be giving both games a fair crack, TOR first and than GW2 when it's out, the better game will get me playing it in the long run. But I really liked what I've seen of GW2, that personal story thing and your home/town instance thing really seems neat.. and I'm quite the PvP fan.. of course GW2 is free to play so maybe I can do both but I doubt I have the time.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:24   Link #427
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Yet another reason Bioware won't be getting my money for this "game."
But you don't like MMOs, at least in it's current form. Cheyannew linked to some info giving us some hope that it's added. Hopefully the new beta build this week will sneak it in.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:31   Link #428
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
^ Can't afford to piss of the overly sensitive parents of the T part of the age group.

Senseless violence is apparently fine though:

Its the American way, senseless gratuitous violence is fine for toddlers but no intimations that adults might have more than one idea about romance (even if it is a minor part of the game and could be entirely platonic or G-rated).

The video or Rutroh-ball has me thinking that some members of the Dev Team spent time playing an old tabletop game called Roborally

If I wasn't so burned out on George screwing his franchise around, I'd be a bit more excited. I'll wait for Secret World methinks.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-09-12 at 10:37.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 09:48   Link #429
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Honestly? People are blowing the whole romance shtick out of proportion. Romance arcs are a teeny tiny portion of any Bioware game, one can play an entire game and not even notice they missed them. To say that not having one half of something that is already a tiny part of the game to begin with ruins the entire game is just looking for excuses to blow up to justify ones dislike.
Not at all; it boils down to the exclusion of it.. why include RA's for one group and not the other, especially when you have done so in several other games?
THAT is the part that's shooting BW in the foot - people do not understand why SGRA's have been excluded from THIS game, when they have been in other games.

But again, I dont' want to turn this thread into an SGRA discussion - the official forums've had a very long running thread discussing that, and it doesn't turn out pretty LOL

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 20:38   Link #430
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

If it's possible I'll probably just end up ignoring any RA anyway. Since it isn't much of a concern for me - or my character - in the end (will it help with raiding? doubt it). Not having SGRA is kind of facepalm-ish to me though. Why? Because I highly doubt they'd have those 'raunchy sex scenes' like from the ME and DA series. So at the most you'll probably have a hug, maybe a kiss, a declaration of love or something and maybe a hilarious 'Noooooooooo' scene when they get killed. Generally pretty much a romance of dialogue. So really those that are too young to understand will probably just see it as 'real good friendship' - bromance and.. sismance(?). While the older folks that do get it will get a nod at their choice.

Really I'd say it's more Lucas Art's fault then Bioware's. Has there EVER been anything more then a Disney level relationship in SW movie or game? (seriously I can't remember any) Lucas is ultimately probably the one's that put a halt to any SGRA's.

Besides can't have this mushy crap get in the way of galactic genocide!
Old 2011-09-12, 21:00   Link #431
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Actually, not that I'm a massive fan of the guy after the butchering he's done to the movies on dvd, etc, he's actually donated money to the No on Prop 8 funds and what not.
I do not think GL is against homosexuality, but I also know we will never find out the full reasoning for the lack of SGRA - there's just too many variables involved/hoops to go through for stuff, and one person nixing it is probably enough top kill it. Who knows where said wrench in the works is/was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
If it's possible I'll probably just end up ignoring any RA anyway. Since it isn't much of a concern for me - or my character - in the end (will it help with raiding? doubt it). Not having SGRA is kind of facepalm-ish to me though. Why? Because I highly doubt they'd have those 'raunchy sex scenes' like from the ME and DA series. So at the most you'll probably have a hug, maybe a kiss, a declaration of love or something and maybe a hilarious 'Noooooooooo' scene when they get killed. Generally pretty much a romance of dialogue. So really those that are too young to understand will probably just see it as 'real good friendship' - bromance and.. sismance(?). While the older folks that do get it will get a nod at their choice.

Really I'd say it's more Lucas Art's fault then Bioware's. Has there EVER been anything more then a Disney level relationship in SW movie or game? (seriously I can't remember any) Lucas is ultimately probably the one's that put a halt to any SGRA's.

Besides can't have this mushy crap get in the way of galactic genocide!

Old 2011-09-13, 12:27   Link #432
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Official statement regarding Same Gender Romance Arcs:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=486040

Old 2011-09-13, 12:42   Link #433
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Anything to see two girls kissin huh? :P theres the internet for THAT!

now if you're doin it for the actual F-in ROMANCE then sure. but if you're just doin it for a lesbian kiss scene... shame on you.
No. Not for pleasure. But it would be awkward romancing a guy. Can't have my lovely healer being lonely!

Last edited by Knight Hawk; 2011-09-13 at 16:33.
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 15:01   Link #434
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Anything to see two girls kissin huh? :P theres the internet for THAT!

now if you're doin it for the actual F-in ROMANCE then sure. but if you're just doin it for a lesbian kiss scene... shame on you.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:16   Link #435
Mr Hat and Clogs

Heh, well that's interesting that they gave in to demand.

But a few things I thought of straight away on reading that. They say they are adding it at a later date, but what about romance your character gets in before then? Can you dump em? Or can you just jump from character to character like some randy teenager. Could you ignore a romance arc until they add the content then pursue it. I just say this because it might be the case that a 'romance arc' is an important feature in your characters development, that you cannot skip. Maybe you can, maybe you can't - I haven't seen it confirmed either way. What about the extra companions they add later on that you supposedly will be able to romance? Do these characters provide benefits over whatever you originally choose?

While it's good for those folks, they seem to be busting out the party hats too soon. One thing I've found with MMO's is that you never celebrate/deride a feature until you have it in your hands because Dev's change their minds for whatever reasons (player housing, dance thing, faction changes, character customisations). Can all be summed up as one word; Soon (TM).

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2011-09-14 at 00:18.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 00:16   Link #436
Xacual

Quote:
Heh, well that's interesting that they gave in to demand.

But a few things I thought of straight away on reading that. They say they are adding it at a later date, but what about romance your character gets in before then? Can you dump em? Or can you just jump from character to character like some randy teenager. Could you ignore a romance arc until they add the content then pursue it. I just say this because it might be the case that a 'romance arc' is an important feature in your characters development, that you cannot skip. Maybe you can, maybe you can't - I haven't seen it confirmed either way. What about the extra companions they add later on that you supposedly will be able to romance? Do these characters provide benefits over whatever you originally choose?

While it's good for those folks, they seem to be busting out the party hats too soon.
Well of course then there's also me who's extremely jaded and questioning how much "later after release" it will be for them to finally add it in.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 00:21   Link #437
Mr Hat and Clogs

Heh, yeah, I just edited for that too while you posted.

Soon, is a fairly common gripe.

Another I just read being, will it be applied to all current and future characters, or will it be just one or two token characters per class.
Old 2011-09-14, 07:06   Link #438
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I smell bait.. bait to bring in a couple thousand who would have not bought it because of no samesex relationships, sure they say it will be added later... but hey, look at WoW... promissed new dances.. wheres that at hmm?

I don't buy it, suspicious to me..
Old 2011-09-14, 07:07   Link #439
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Or can you just jump from character to character like some randy teenager.
I'm thinking this will be the case.. since you only have 1 companion with you at a time it's not like they'll clash.. and your non companion romance options will only be @ whatever location.
Old 2011-09-14, 07:14   Link #440
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I smell bait.. bait to bring in a couple thousand who would have not bought it because of no samesex relationships, sure they say it will be added later... but hey, look at WoW... promissed new dances.. wheres that at hmm?

I don't buy it, suspicious to me..
The difference is that Bioware is NOT Blizzard; very different teams behind it, with very different visions.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows