Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-22, 11:03   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
The obscene number of episodes and the fact I havent started are a huge detriment for me. It'll take forever for me to catch up and I feel like I would have missed out on the discussions. Same reason why I'm haven't started One Piece.
All the more reason to start NOW!

The sooner you start, the sooner you'll catch up. Starting is the hardest part. Once you get going and get past the first season (which is a bit weak), you'll burn through the episodes in no time. Actually, I would recommend you to take it slowly. Maybe watch one episode per night or something. That's what I did what I rewatched the series while it was on break (I can't live without my daily dose of Gintama anymore ). Incidentally, that's the only show I've rewatched these past six years, with the exception of ARIA.
Old 2013-01-22, 14:52   Link #22
Kirayuki

I think I am the only one in this planet who started watching Gintama from around episode 230 and goes backward with the marathoning
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 02:17   Link #23
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
I think I am the only one in this planet who started watching Gintama from around episode 230 and goes backward with the marathoning
My friends start with 202, and then go backwards...
It took them one year to finally finish all the episode of Gintama...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 19:06   Link #24
jdennis007

I don't have a favorite type of comedy, but parody comes close. I am not a fan on the over-use of slapstick, I liked the way the FMP series used it.
Old 2013-01-25, 19:14   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The only kind of comedy I watch are those having romance. Pure comedy is boring. Its better to have a plot though...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 23:52   Link #26
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The only kind of comedy I watch are those having romance. Pure comedy is boring. Its better to have a plot though...
I'm not denying your right to have this opinion... but these are exactly the kind of opinions that caused me to create this thread in the first place. Comedy gets a bad rap that I really don't think it deserves. It's also evolving with the times, has a wide variety of styles and has produced some series that Japan's fans love, critically and commercially. (And even on a level that's not related to those two. Image macros have to come from something. That's humor on a fandom level, which I also appreciate.)

So comedy doesn't have a plot, but plot, like any other element of a story, should only be used as needed. Something like Milky Holmes has a story that is best viewed in order, but the episodes can also stand alone as comic pieces. It achieves a nice balance. And even stories without a well defined plot (like Kumeta's works) can achieve just as much success. They just do it in a way that the Western fandom doesn't consider a "typical" model.

Comedy is an artform like any other, and the one that I respect the most. So saying pure comedy is "boring" is something I will debate against.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 09:06   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Reading your post made me think of both Chi's Sweet Home and Higepiyo. These are shorts with animals as the main characters. They do have continuing stories, but the episodes can easily stand alone, especially the ones in Chi. The basic concept is the same in both cases -- a family with a young boy adopts a kitten (Chi) or a chick (Higepiyo). Yet given their surface similarities they provide an interesting contrast in comedic styles. Chi relies largely on the tried-and-true formula of cute kitty antics with a strong dose of sweetness even when the story sometimes takes a darker turn. Higepiyo has a strong satirical aspect throughout. Chi is pretty uniformly adorable throughout the show. Higepiyo has a bristly, combative personality, drinks sake, and has a beard! (He's also voiced by Paku Romi in a tour-de-force performance.) He is also extremely loyal and protective of his adoptive family which makes him a sympathetic character. His efforts to "samurai-up" in some of the later episodes are hilarious.

Higepiyo is only available in torrents, and the only batched version I found was at that "baka" site that I cannot link to because it contains licensed materials. Nyaa has the individidual episodes. If you are looking for an off-beat comedy to watch, I'd give it a try.

One other short that aired at the same time as Higepiyo was Charady's Daily Joke. This is an anthology of slightly off-color stories as told by a sexy young woman to her two animal companions each night at bath time. As is often the case in anthologies, the quality of the stories vary a lot.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-26 at 09:42.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 13:25   Link #28
jdennis007

I don't mind shorts as long as they don't recycle the same joke constantly.
Old 2013-01-29, 01:21   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I realized I left one kind off the list. Anti-Comedy. My favorite scene in this regard was the ping pong scene in Mayoi Neko Overrun!. It moves at a glacial pace, but eventually becomes hilarious after how long it drags itself out.

That episode was directed perfectly.
That episode almost qualified for the George Burns Memorial Longest Joke In The World award. It was expertly timed.