AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-06-09, 10:25   Link #1
marvelB

The most contemptible villains EVAR! [manga discussion]

The idea for this thread came from a little chat concerning the comparison of the current storyline's villains to past ones in the chapter 627 thread. Basically, we'll discuss who you consider to be the most lowdown, vile, and just plain nastiest villains in the series.

.....However, there's something I feel I need to point out: This is NOT really a thread about who is the most "evil". That's a more subjective term than anything, and Oda's proven throughout the course of the series that his rogues' gallery isn't always so obviously black and white. For instance, Akainu, who's supposed to be on the side of "good", has committed some of the most terrible atrocities we've seen in the series, so it's clear he's meant to be a villain (even if he strongly believes that his heinous actions are carried out in the name of righteousness). Likewise, we've seen Crocodile, a dude who was more than willing to kill tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers alike for personal gain, go out of his way to protect Luffy (and even Ace) from certain doom during the Marineford arc! So yeah, I just wanted to get that explanation out of the way.....

Anyways, I'll post my top contender in a later post. The rest of you guys can go ahead and start things off!

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-06-09 at 14:59.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 11:57   Link #2
Blackbeard D. Kuma

In short, most contemptible would probably go to the World Nobles. They're a bunch of spoiled, weak, cowardly, elitist, snobs that blatantly abuse their power. The WG tries to show that they care for the betterment of the world, and yet they let these idiots run amok committing acts that are illegal/simply wrong. There's really not much else to these power-hungry bastards. Anyone but their kind is considered inferior to them; quite one-dimensional, I must say.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2011-06-09 at 22:49.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 12:35   Link #3
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

My most contemptible villain would be Spandam, without question. He acts much like the World Nobles, so everything BDK above said applies to him as well, but unlike them Spandam actually managed to deceive the Gorosei into helping his agenda.
Old 2011-06-09, 16:17   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
marvelB, that would be chapter 627, not 427. Just putting that out to not confuse anyone.

LOL, yeah my bad. I made a typo but it's fixed now.

Anyways, while the World Nobles are certainly high up there on my list, I'mma have to say that my top pick is Spandam. He's a grade-A scumbag for a veritable mountain of reasons, but to list some of the more prominent ones:

-Grossly corrupt, incompetent government official who nevertheless holds a high position of power? Check.

-Uses his connections to family members in order to make shady deals? Check.

-Framing a respected community member for the sake of personal gain? Check.

-Solely responsible for the destruction of the judicial island he was in charge of (and even having the gall to scapegoat his own subordinates for his blunder)? Check.

Again, there's more, but Spandam (and his dad) were responsible for ruining quite a few lives due to their dunderheaded "leadership" qualities.......
Old 2011-06-09, 19:07   Link #5
Rainbowman

Does this thread accept discussing about villains that are considered epic? i.e.: Eneru, Rob Lucci, etc.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 19:22   Link #6
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Does this thread accept discussing about villains that are considered epic? i.e.: Eneru, Rob Lucci, etc.
It would defeat the purpose if it didn't, really.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:32   Link #7
marvelB

Uh, I don't really see what's "epic" about Lucci, honestly. He was just a bland, personalityless whore of a murder-puppet for the WG who only cared about killing. Admittedly, I'm kinda interested in seeing what Oda will do with him and the rest of CP9 after the events of their (boring) ministory, but otherwise..... meh. Just look in Akainu's direction for what's ultimately a Lucci done right. *

*This post is in no way shape or form completely biased whatsoever. No siree, not biased at all.
Old 2011-06-10, 00:31   Link #8
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

I won't quite consider Lucci a villian, he was just a person who steadfastly believed in a set of values and definitions that was opposition to Luffy and co's.

If you take into account his belief in the world government and the "dark justice", he was actually honourable and dedicated to his cause and he didn't do anything for personal good.

For me the most contemptible villian was Alvida. Too weak to pose even a minor threat and self delusions of beauty (which however, became true).
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 02:56   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Uh, I don't really see what's "epic" about Lucci, honestly.
I'd say the only epic part about Lucci was his appearance.
Old 2011-06-10, 03:30   Link #10
ronin myael
lost ronin

yay! thanks for this thread! been dying to discuss the villains of one piece. i must say that it is the only series with villains that i absolutely abhor. most series have plain black and white villains whose goals usually involve world domination and ultimate power. but with one piece the villains are complex and more interesting. except maybe for the tenryuubito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
In short, most contemptible would probably go to the World Nobles. They're a bunch of spoiled, weak, cowardly, elitist, snobs that blatantly abuse their power. The WG tries to show that they care for the betterment of the world, and yet they let these idiots run amok committing acts that are illegal/simply wrong. There's really not much else to these power-hungry bastards. Anyone but their kind is considered inferior to them; quite one-dimensional, I must say.
i agree. they're high on my list but my most despised villain is spandam handsdown. but as for really badass villains, i'd pick akainu. sure, i want him roasted alive in his own lava and squished by a thousand boulders imbued with haki but still, this man demands respect and definitely one of the most fearsome and formidable villains in the history of anime/manga.

but special mention to blackbeard. that man is truly an A-hole. and now he has the power to go with his humongous ego. he's definitely one to watch out for. i want to see what oda would do with him now that he has become a serious threat to the world government and to the other pirates.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2011-09-29 at 05:06.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 03:47   Link #11
Kallen4life

World Nobles, Spandam & maybe Don Krieg
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 12:14   Link #12
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Spandam.

The World Nobles are too stupid to be the most hated.

In fact, we haven't really seen a villain who could be considered smart yet..aside from Croc I guess.
Old 2011-06-10, 12:27   Link #13
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
In fact, we haven't really seen a villain who could be considered smart yet..aside from Croc I guess.
What about Blackbeard?
Old 2011-06-10, 12:27   Link #14
Kallen4life

Croc & Blackbeard ? Akainu ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 18:52   Link #15
marvelB

Well, Eneru and Lucci are most certainly competent.... it's just that the former villain is insane while the other is more or less the OP equivalent of a Bleach villain (personally, I find BOTH of them bland, but Lucci easily out-blands Eneru any day of the week).

Anyways, another villain I'd add to my rogues' gallery would be, despite his face not even being shown yet, the king of the Goa kingdom. His hiring of Bluejam's crew to burn down a slum is a pretty good indicator of just how vile he is, if you ask me (and to add insult to injury, he even turned his back on the pirates he hired!). Of course, the other Goa nobles are just as horrible for showing no empathy for all the families that could have died in the fire, but the king is the main culprit here, what with him masterminding such a heinous scheme in the first place.....

.....Actually, speaking of the Goa king, I've sorta formed this theory about him a while back. See, I think Oda may be setting him up to be a major villain at a later point in the story. As I mentioned in my previous paragraph, his face was never shown, but with the advent of the Reverie meeting of the world's leaders being mentioned in the most recent chapter, I see a very good chance of us getting a proper introduction to the corrupt monarch. I also think that Oda gave us another hint of the king's potential status as a primary antagonist during Luffy's flashback when Dragon said that Goa was a "blueprint" of sorts for the world's future. Plus, add in Sabo's inevitable reappearance sometime in the not-too-distant future (c'mon, he's alive and ya'll all know it ), and the potential conflict will become a lot more interesting, since it would actually be somewhat personal......
Old 2011-06-10, 19:44   Link #16
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Uh, I don't really see what's "epic" about Lucci, honestly. He was just a bland, personalityless whore of a murder-puppet for the WG who only cared about killing. Admittedly, I'm kinda interested in seeing what Oda will do with him and the rest of CP9 after the events of their (boring) ministory, but otherwise..... meh. Just look in Akainu's direction for what's ultimately a Lucci done right. *

*This post is in no way shape or form completely biased whatsoever. No siree, not biased at all.
Except the difference there was that Akainu believe what he did was in the name of justice and was absolutely needed while Lucci, IMO, uses justice and his position as CP9 as excuses for his murdering urges.

With that being said, he acts more like a Shikibukai and privateer. He even stated that the only reason he chose CP9 was because they were given license to kill, Bond style. As such, while I agree that Lucci was a killing machine, I won't call him a puppet.

The mini-story, to me, flashes out much more of his character. CP9 stays intact despite Jabra's original jealousy of Lucci. They even nursed him back to health. This shows me that at least he is charismatic enough to earn the loyalties of CP9. Later to lead CP9 to save villagers and take down Marines that were after them then declare revenge on Spandem all shows me that Lucci is not just a "yes-man" to WG.

Personally I would love to heard news about him and CP9 forming the "Zoo Pirates"

BTW, speaking of Lucci, one little thing comes to my mind. Lucci mentioned that unlike popular believe, he's convinced that Zoan type is the strongest. With the clarification on Haki, I have to say his claim has some solid basis. With Haki in play, Zoan base does seem to have the biggest advantage over other 2 types, makes me wnder that Lucci knows the existence of Haki just has not got the time to master it.
Old 2011-06-10, 21:35   Link #17
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
What about Blackbeard?
Oh...forgot about him, heh.

I wouldn't say Akainu was smart, per se.

Quote:
.....Actually, speaking of the Goa king, I've sorta formed this theory about him a while back. See, I think Oda may be setting him up to be a major villain at a later point in the story. As I mentioned in my previous paragraph, his face was never shown, but with the advent of the Reverie meeting of the world's leaders being mentioned in the most recent chapter, I see a very good chance of us getting a proper introduction to the corrupt monarch. I also think that Oda gave us another hint of the king's potential status as a primary antagonist during Luffy's flashback when Dragon said that Goa was a "blueprint" of sorts for the world's future. Plus, add in Sabo's inevitable reappearance sometime in the not-too-distant future (c'mon, he's alive and ya'll all know it ), and the potential conflict will become a lot more interesting, since it would actually be somewhat personal......
That is a pretty interesting idea. Would be a nice, Oda style twist.
Old 2011-06-11, 07:32   Link #18
ronin myael
lost ronin

what i've learned from reading one piece is that oda never introduces new characters just for the heck of it. he never wastes characters. and when oda tells flashbacks, they usually have major significance in the future events. so yeah, sabo is most probably alive, and the goa kingdom will definitely have a part to play in the coming chapters. i just wonder though, would takeuchi junko also voice the older sabo in the anime? it would be nice to have her aboard, it's kinda like having luffy being brothers with naruto (since junko is naruto's seiyuu). lol ichigo's seiyuu has already gotten quite comfy in voicing marco.

another potential villain could be eustass the kid. he intrigues me. trafalgar law as well. wonder what those guys are up to. though i can't seem to consider law as a villain. he's not the type, but who knows, maybe oda would prove me wrong.
Old 2011-06-11, 22:28   Link #19
Undertaker

Of the Supernovas, it does seem Kid and Law arew the only two that are poise to be major players mention alongside with Luffy, although I'm still a suspect on the ability of rest of Law's crew outside Bepo and Jean Bart, and as awesome as their are, I don't think they were a match to Zoro and Sanji 2 years ago.

Outside of those two (and Killer for obvious reason), I can only see Boney to be more prominent due to her potential story relevancy. As for others, I'm expecting them to be aligning with different Yonku other become fiddlers to Strawhats down the road at most.
Old 2011-06-12, 11:38   Link #20
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Outside of those two (and Killer for obvious reason), I can only see Boney to be more prominent due to her potential story relevancy.
Actually, I can see X. Drake playing a role later down the road; there's a lot of potential Oda can use with his backstory of being a high-ranking Marine who deserted and became a Pirate.