AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-30, 16:49   Link #1
word sux

Hatfields & McCoys

Has anyone been watching this, its pretty fantastic so far. Surprised that history channel has turned out a series this good. Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton do a great job of portraying these characters and their is plenty of action and bloodshed. The acting and story is superb and I would say as far as film goes this is one of the best I have seen in a very long time and is far better then anything you will see in a movie theater. As far as mini series go this is right up there in quality with band of brothers.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

Old 2012-06-02, 23:25   Link #2
Xagzan

I just finished the third part, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. It was definitely well acted, as Costner and Paxton truly seemed to fade into their roles. Not a happy story, however, that's for damn sure

One thing I didn't get though,

Spoiler:
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 00:08   Link #3
word sux

they put a warrant and a bounty out on him for the illegal execution of the 3 mccoys

he was not actually there but they put a warrant out for all the hatfields
Old 2012-06-03, 09:08   Link #4
Xagzan

Ah, ok, that sucks, he seemed like a fair man.

I really hope History does more productions like this, instead of all those ugh reality shows like Ice Road Truckers. Well, apparently the ratings for the premiere were phenomenal, highest ever for that station and one of the highest ever for cable, with 13.9 mil viewers. And then the finale managed to beat that with 14.29! I mean, wow. Surely that has to bode well for similar quality productions in the future.

Surprised no one else seems to have watched this It wasn't perfect of course, but still quite well done.
Old 2012-06-03, 12:18   Link #5
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Ah, ok, that sucks, he seemed like a fair man.

I really hope History does more productions like this, instead of all those ugh reality shows like Ice Road Truckers. Well, apparently the ratings for the premiere were phenomenal, highest ever for that station and one of the highest ever for cable, with 13.9 mil viewers. And then the finale managed to beat that with 14.29! I mean, wow. Surely that has to bode well for similar quality productions in the future.

Surprised no one else seems to have watched this It wasn't perfect of course, but still quite well done.

yea I think its an instant classic like band of brothers was. I was very surprised that history channel did this considering all the junk they have been airing recently.

I am also surprised there hasn't been more interest on this board seeing as how well the story was done.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:53   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Despite the fact it is a "drama inspired by history" (not necessarily accurate in all aspects), it is a lot more information about the feud than probably 99% of the viewers knew before starting. Most people just blink and remember a few cartoon snippets of silly hillbillies blowing each other up with Bugs Bunny or some other character in the mix.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:34   Link #7
Xagzan

On a related note, to look at the wiki entry for the feud and related people, there are a damn lot of "citation neededs" at the ends of sentences. So I'm wondering how much of that article was just filled out with information people got from watching the show

Anyway, one of the things I wished had been different was that the two men didn't really meet again before the end. And I mean really meet. Sure they saw each other on the battlefield, but they were just shooting and screaming each other's name. But before that? I don't remember the last time they interacted. Well, maybe that didn't happen historically, so I guess it's good if they stuck to the real events.

It's funny, though (and by funny I mean horribly tragic). You may realize it earlier on, but it becomes most visible in that final battle. Hatfield fled from one war, sick of all the fighting and death, wanting to find peace, but all he found was another battlefield on his doorstep. And McCoy...well, it seemed that war never even ended for him.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:35   Link #8
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Aint got much to say on this other than it was a real fun watch and got me to watch the history channel for the first time in god knows how long.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote