AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 21:53   Link #6801
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Well, anyway, I'll try something different.

It'll be in response to everyone saying that Shkanon is the culprit.

It's about a scene in EP5, right before Erika, the detective, starts the trial.
I don't know how anyone could get around this...

Spoiler for THEORY:
SeagullCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 21:58   Link #6802
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I... I... argh! You're missing what I was getting at entirely.
What you mean is that it's a catbox right? There shouldn't be anything he can know that we can't find out. And those episodes haven't been written yet.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:01   Link #6803
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
What you mean is that it's a catbox right? There shouldn't be anything he can know that we can't find out. And those episodes haven't been written yet.
Yes, but I also meant that he's treating his theory as though it's something that is, with certainty, going to happen in the next two games. As though he has already read them and would be spoiling them for us if he outlined his theory.

That simply isn't true.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:08   Link #6804
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
Well, anyway, I'll try something different.

It'll be in response to everyone saying that Shkanon is the culprit.

It's about a scene in EP5, right before Erika, the detective, starts the trial.
I don't know how anyone could get around this...

Spoiler for THEORY:
Ooh, nice, I missed that scene. And before anyone says something about how it's weird that they're both closing the door, the parlor has a double door.

Although, I guess this scene is still subject to the "not Erika's POV" loophole, if you're into that.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:28   Link #6805
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

I want to help SeagullCrazy's theory a bit with a little theory of my own.

The culprit is aware of Battler's sin.
Battler's Sin happened six years ago.
Kanon worked for the Ushiromiya family for 3 years.
It is impossible for Kanon to be aware of Battler's sin.

If true this can eliminate Kanon as a suspect.

Also I have a question
when did Kinzo die?
Old 2010-03-23, 22:32   Link #6806
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor .A. Nox View Post
Also I have a question
when did Kinzo die?
That's not certain. It's shown in episode 5 that he died maybe one to two years ago, but some people want to beleive he died fairly recently and unexpectedly.

I'll also add another theory in spoilers.

Spoiler for episode 6:

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-03-23 at 23:19.
Old 2010-03-23, 22:33   Link #6807
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:

Also I have a question
when did Kinzo die?
According to what goes on in the first few chapters of EP5, it looked like Kinzo died shortly before the family conference of 1985. At that time, Kinzo had just died, and Krauss and Natsuhi didn't know what to do for the upcoming conference. Instead of playing it safe and leaving him in the study, they pretended he walked around outside. This made the other adults suspicious, which is why they act the way they do on the conference of 1986. If anyone tries to say that Kinzo died AFTER 1985 conference but BEFORE 1986, I don't think it's possible to explain the suspicious behavior of the adults in 1986.

And I don't think there's any evidence suggesting he died earlier than 1985.
Old 2010-03-23, 22:34   Link #6808
chronotrig

Quote:
That's just a bit of the stuff I've put together. No, I don't have a motive, but to be frank, to only solve the MYSTERY we're presented with, I don't need one.
Okay, I think you deserve an answer to this one, all things considered. It has never been said that Umineko is a mystery. In fact, Ryuukishi even went so far as to make fun of bad mysteries in EP5 (bad mysteries, not all mysteries). If you remember, there is a scene near the end when Battler asks "do the Knox rules apply to Beato's game?" And no one answered. I'm not saying that the answer here was yes or no, but this does make it pretty clear there's no guarantee that Umineko is a standard mystery.

Erika shows what happens if you try to solve Umineko as a standard mystery, even if you had the power to step into the game at times and create evidence. Since Erika failed, we can guess that the mystery approach might not be the best way to tackle Umineko. Like many people have done before (me included), Erika created a perfectly plausible solution to that single game. However, to "win" that game, Battler only had to prove that it wasn't the only solution, since he knew of an answer that made sense throughout all 5 games at that point.

Also, a standard mystery isn't allowed to even show you any magic, real or fake, so Umineko splits off into new territory pretty early on.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:45   Link #6809
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

Damn oh well, I was going to think about the portrait and when it was commissioned and the time of Kinzo's death. No use going there I guess.
Old 2010-03-23, 22:50   Link #6810
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Okay, I think you deserve an answer to this one, all things considered. It has never been said that Umineko is a mystery. In fact, Ryuukishi even went so far as to make fun of bad mysteries in EP5 (bad mysteries, not all mysteries). If you remember, there is a scene near the end when Battler asks "do the Knox rules apply to Beato's game?" And no one answered. I'm not saying that the answer here was yes or no, but this does make it pretty clear there's no guarantee that Umineko is a standard mystery.

Erika shows what happens if you try to solve Umineko as a standard mystery, even if you had the power to step into the game at times and create evidence. Since Erika failed, we can guess that the mystery approach might not be the best way to tackle Umineko. Like many people have done before (me included), Erika created a perfectly plausible solution to that single game. However, to "win" that game, Battler only had to prove that it wasn't the only solution, since he knew of an answer that made sense throughout all 5 games at that point.

Also, a standard mystery isn't allowed to even show you any magic, real or fake, so Umineko splits off into new territory pretty early on.
I agree with you on this point. There is no guarantee Umineko is a standard mystery So it may not follow every single one of the Knox's commandments. However at the same time: There is no guarantee that it is entirely fantasy either and there are definitely mystery elements or Knox's rules could not be said in red. So at the very least some of them must be true.

Umineko could just as easily be in the sports, gambling/boardgame, or romance genres. Just because it's possible that it's not a standard mystery doesn't mean it has to be a complete fairy tale. If it was there would be no point in introducing Knox's rules.

Also I think Knox's 9th would allow for fake magic scenes to be listened to in this case. Ryu kind of made his own loophole there.
Old 2010-03-23, 22:52   Link #6811
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Damn oh well, I was going to think about the portrait and when it was commissioned and the time of Kinzo's death. No use going there I guess.
Actually, there's a possible connection. Now, I looked at the anime for this, since it would take too long for me to get to that point in the VN, but in EP1 Shannon says that in April of 1984 Kinzo hired a painter to paint it. So at the very least, I think it's reasonable to guess that his time of death is limited to April 1984 - October 1985.

But that still leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
Old 2010-03-23, 23:02   Link #6812
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
Actually, there's a possible connection. Now, I looked at the anime for this, since it would take too long for me to get to that point in the VN, but in EP1 Shannon says that in April of 1984 Kinzo hired a painter to paint it. So at the very least, I think it's reasonable to guess that his time of death is limited to April 1984 - October 1985.

But that still leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
In EP 5 it sounded like Kinzo died not very long before the October 1985 conference. So I'd say he died late September, early October.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 23:18   Link #6813
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It's clear Ryukishi is a huge mystery buff himself, with all the constant references and trivia being thrown around in Ep5.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that he might have used plot devices from other stories while writing Umineko. A lot of authors do this.

Quote:
Erika shows what happens if you try to solve Umineko as a standard mystery, even if you had the power to step into the game at times and create evidence. Since Erika failed, we can guess that the mystery approach might not be the best way to tackle Umineko.
No, Erika failed because she outright fabricated evidence and ignored everything that didn't point toward her pet theory. She simply picked the easiest person to accuse and went from there.

That's not mystery, that's anti-fantasy, regardless of what Erika says she is.

Quote:
Like many people have done before (me included), Erika created a perfectly plausible solution to that single game. However, to "win" that game, Battler only had to prove that it wasn't the only solution, since he knew of an answer that made sense throughout all 5 games at that point.
Hah, I'd never in a million years call Erika's solution "perfectly plausible". It's full of holes, some of which Battler exploited in his explanation.

That "two truths" business never made any sense to me anyway. Battler showed that Erika's explanation was (ridiculously) unsound, which should have destroyed any possibility of her "truth" being the correct one.

There is, by the very definition of "truth", only one. You can have multiple interpretations (subjective truth) but only one (objective) truth.

Quote:
And this is what, in my mind, makes it so bloated, pretentious, and frustrating.
Old 2010-03-23, 23:26   Link #6814
chronotrig

Well, what I said was the truth, whether you accept it or not.
Quote:
And this is what, in my mind, makes it so bloated, pretentious, and frustrating.
Please don't say things like this until you've figured out why "magic" appears onscreen in Umineko. There is a reason, and it's one of the cores of this puzzle.
This is exactly what the Ryuukishi used Erika to show. There's nothing wrong with an author trying to create a new genre, as long as it works. If you can't accept that, then it's probably best that you stop reading Umineko, because the odds are, you won't like what you get.

愛が無ければ視えない。(Without love, it cannot be seen.)

Old 2010-03-23, 23:29   Link #6815
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:

A little modification:

Beatrice is aware of Battler's sin, so it's impossible for Kanon to be Beatrice on the basis of Dlanor's argument. However, there's no proof that Beatrice and the culprit are the same person, so Kanon could still be the culprit.

On the other hand, Beatrice insisted that the sin wasn't against her and that she didn't bear a grudge against Battler for it. There is a possibility that she's actually a close friend of the person who was sinned against, and learned of the sin from that person.
Old 2010-03-23, 23:32   Link #6816
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
No, Erika failed because she outright fabricated evidence and ignored everything that didn't point toward her pet theory. She simply picked the easiest person to accuse and went from there.

Hah, I'd never in a million years call Erika's solution "perfectly plausible". It's full of holes, some of which Battler exploited in his explanation.

That "two truths" business never made any sense to me anyway. Battler showed that Erika's explanation was (ridiculously) unsound, which should have destroyed any possibility of her "truth" being the correct one.

There is, by the very definition of "truth", only one. You can have multiple interpretations (subjective truth) but only one (objective) truth.

Well she definitely has an anti fantasy human perspective. She only created alibis by making so only people in certain rooms could be the murderer.

I find it interesting that Erika doesn't actually appear in the meta world until the trial scene after 24:00. She talks to the meta characters from the game board during the scene with the letter and other stuff, but she doesn't talk to them in the meta world until the game is over at the ???. So before 24:00 she represented Bernkastel, but after that she becomes her own individual meta peice. Which is kind of like early Battler in a way I guess.
Old 2010-03-23, 23:33   Link #6817
chronotrig

Quote:
Please show me a flaw in Erika's theory that doesn't use information from earlier episodes.

Old 2010-03-23, 23:38   Link #6818
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Please don't say things like this until you've figured out why "magic" appears onscreen in Umineko. There is a reason, and it's one of the cores of this puzzle.
This is exactly what the Ryuukishi used Erika to show. There's nothing wrong with an author trying to create a new genre, as long as it works. If you can't accept that, then it's probably best that you stop reading Umineko, because the odds are, you won't like what you get.
This is only true IF the magic scenes actually are metaphors for what's really going on, or if they're simply convenient, obfuscating 'outs'.

What I'm getting at is that Ryukishi can simply write off every single contradictory event (or, indeed, anything not from Battler's viewpoint) as an "oh, that never happened". This is the extreme danger (for the reader) when any author is writing fake scenes. But this is retreading discussion that I know we've all had before.

And yes, if the solution is something as inelegant and contrived as "Nanjo's granddaughter" or "Shannon and Kanon are the same person and in love with everybody" then yes, I will be visibly upset. This isn't what I signed up for at all! :HEH:

Quote:
Please show me a flaw in Erika's theory that doesn't use information from earlier episodes.
Erika's theory is set up deliberately to convict Natsuhi (as should be obvious, if we look at the timing of all her movements) but if you're looking for a flaw, to be honest, no, I can't think of one right now.

I was more referring to Meta-Erika, in any case. ...But why would using information from earlier episodes NOT be mystery?
Old 2010-03-23, 23:42   Link #6819
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Quote:
The meaning of "Anti-Fantasy" is as the words say. "Fantastic" phenomenon cannot exist in the world we live in. Those dream-like fairy-tales are nothing more than fiction. Even if someone believes in their existence, it's really nothing more than an exaggerating, politically-inclined delusion.
Oh please. It's not about not having hints. It's about how the entire purpose of her theory was to deny a magic witch legend rather than simply show how the murders happened. It didn't matter who it was because no matter who she chose there would be no love in her theory. At this point one person murdering everyone in every episode is just ridiculous there are obviously several accomplices and there is obviously a conspiracy of some sort on Oct of 1986. There are tons of hints for this.
Old 2010-03-23, 23:42   Link #6820
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
This is actually Bern's screwup, but at the end of the trial when she was hounding Natsuhi, she accidentally eliminated all of the places a living Kinzo could exist at midnight.