Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-05-11, 04:18   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

sola - Manga Discussion Thread

The sola manga is being serialized in the japanese manga magazine Dengeki Daioh. Serialization started on january 20, 2007.

Some more infos can be found on Wiki
Old 2007-05-11, 10:24   Link #2
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Volume 1 of the Sola manga, scanlated into Chinese by [Last Summer], and translated in turn into English by me;

<edit by Mod (xris): sorry but we do not wish to host translations and scans in the forum>

I currently have the first three volumes of the scanlated Sola manga, and what I've just given is only the first volume. In any case, while the manga has the same basic concept, it does away with a great deal of the story content that was present in the anime, and replaces it with equal parts slapstick and sheer fanservice; at least, that is what I saw from the first three volumes. Mana is most definitely stacked, and Matsuri's boobs almost literally have a life of their own. The characters behave differently than in the anime too; manga Matsuri doesn't have the trusting, open personality of the anime one, and manga Takeshi is portrayed as a one-dimensional villain compared to the well-developed anime version, just to name a couple of examples.

Needless to say, the manga is going in a direction which suggests it won't be nearly as good as the anime. Therefore, I've only provided Volume 1 so far; I'm fairly disinclined to continue with the manga, and I'll only translate the remaining volumes if there's a demand for it.

Last edited by xris; 2007-05-13 at 17:18.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 11:03   Link #3
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Actually episode 1 is the second chapter of sola serialized in Dengeki Daioh. The first chapter (20th Dec 06) is a prologue based on the original C70 Doujinshi (Aug 06), which has some interesting stuff not mentioned in the anime and the C71 drama CD (Dec 06).

I personally find the character drawings in the manga much better than the anime and the original ones. I also love the Kanon-esque flashbacks at the start of every chapter that spreads the hints of Matsuri's true idenity and dream. It is also nice to see Matsuri taking a more active role in her fight with Takeshi instead of resorting to be a prey. Nonetheless, without the awesome performance of Noto Mamiko, the manga Matsuri is much less "effective" in grabing my heart :P.

And for Dengeki Daioh subscribers, pay attention to the sola section of the draft book. There's a really, well, abnormal drawing of Aono. And I think it will be a key to the future developments of both the anime and manga

Btw not exactly related, but the C70 sola doujinshi by Hisaya Naoki and Nanao Naru is quite an interesting read too. Rather than a manga, it is more like a story book with poetic narrations by Matsuri and Mana. The manga acknowledges this part by the chapter 0 prologue, but the anime skipped it.

Anyway I am sure that it is the first time the two publicized their ideas of the sola project. Wonder why the wikipedia has no information on it...
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 11:05   Link #4
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I was reading along steadily until the last page, where I went like, "Woah, did the fanservice just shoot up a couple of notches?"

The SD adds a little bit of charm to the manga, but it detracts from the seriousness a bit. Takeshi looks more sinister in design too. I also notice that Aono almost has no lines at all in this volume. Koyori is still adorable though, with her getting agitated over Aono's reaction to the doll.

Hmm...
Old 2007-05-11, 11:29   Link #5
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I was reading along steadily until the last page, where I went like, "Woah, did the fanservice just shoot up a couple of notches?"

The SD adds a little bit of charm to the manga, but it detracts from the seriousness a bit. Takeshi looks more sinister in design too. I also notice that Aono almost has no lines at all in this volume. Koyori is still adorable though, with her getting agitated over Aono's reaction to the doll.

Hmm...
Ha! That's only the beginning, Skane-sama. If I do translate the other two volumes that I currently have in my hand, you'll soon see why I said that Matsuri's boobs seem to have a life of their own; I swear they're practically screaming to be let free into the cool, fresh air.
Old 2007-05-11, 11:59   Link #6
New/Old
Old to the New

Agreed. I'm quite fond of the SD-ish art style, though it does put some damper on the seriousness. Heh heh. I personally wouldn't mind if you continued Ascaloth. It'd be interesting to see another adaption and where it goes. Hmm-hmm.
Old 2007-05-11, 12:58   Link #7
wontaek

For those who can read Korean, you might want to check out following blog site for the Sola Manga

http://einz.kr/

If you type 'sola' in the website's search, it will lead you to all 4 episodes which you can download.
Old 2007-05-11, 17:48   Link #8
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
And for Dengeki Daioh subscribers, pay attention to the sola section of the draft book. There's a really, well, abnormal drawing of Aono. And I think it will be a key to the future developments of both the anime and manga
I rather like the picture of Aono on the title page of chapter 3.

Just looked at chapter 4. There's a similar scene to something in the anime that's been the subject of much speculation...
Spoiler for chapter 4:

I've been thinking it's just coincidence in the anime, but maybe not...
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 20:00   Link #9
Ascaloth

Well.......

Since it's apparently illegal for me to do so, I will no longer be providing translations of the Sola manga here.

It may not be the end, though. I'm still considering whether to continue; if I do decide to do so though, I'll have to think about some alternative place to host them.

Sorry, guys.
Old 2007-05-14, 01:38   Link #10
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

since I cant read Japanese I hope they will release the manga in English, though if that happens it still a long time in the future...

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 07:32   Link #11
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Just read the first chapter... found at obvious places.

Wow the pacing of the first chapter is way fast. The big difference between the anime and the manga seems to be that it was Matsuri herself telling Yorito that she lives in the church. Yorito is drawn better in the manga, at least for me.

I also took a peek through chapter 4 >.> looks like the church incident is different in the manga.

So... how many chapters is the manga currently.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 01:39   Link #12
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Wahoo, a manga. Mangas are for me. Gotta go check this out.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 03:09   Link #13
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
So... how many chapters is the manga currently.
Started in February, so 4 chapters so far. I don't recall seeing how long it will run for.

I'm curious to see how they treat chapter 5, since the anime has now caught-up with the manga, much of the story will already be revealed by then. Unless the manga takes a different track.
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 08:44   Link #14
NeoSam

July 2007 issue of the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Dengeki Daioh:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-12, 06:23   Link #15
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

One of the things I like about the manga is that it has "chibi humour". The anime is a pretty "serious" affair and you simply do not get to see the characters physically deform or otherwise fall prey to the usual comedic artstyles.

Take this sequence of Matsuri kicking the vending machine for example (remember, right to left ). It is just simply too adorable for words.

Spoiler for cropped page from Chapter 01:
It made me laugh and go "Aww..." at the same time in sympathy for Matsuri's pain.

And then there is Aono. Her ":<" leer was already pretty endearing to me and to see it on her chibi-mode was like one of the cutest thing ever.

Spoiler for cropped page from Chapter 01:
In short, the manga is chocked filled with cuteness. Oh... and their clothes can actually get wet in the manga. No amazingly water-proof clothes for these incarnations.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-14, 17:23   Link #16
New/Old
Old to the New

Haha. Agreed, agreed. That is one of the endearing things of the manga as well for me.
Old 2007-06-17, 00:58   Link #17
wontaek

Chapter 5 is out. Korean translation available from http://einz.kr/
Old 2007-06-30, 10:22   Link #18
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

The Queen v Hige Dandy
(from chapter 6)

Spoiler:

Aono is simply too cool . Poor Takeshi, he is probably going to be turned into a paper zombie . A pity that they have not animated the Aono v Takeshi fight.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 15:19   Link #19
Skane
Anime Snark

E-yup... more fanservice than the anime. Nice legs there, Aono.

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-30, 15:45   Link #20
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
*Sigh..* Why oh why...they need to leave good parts to the manga?
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen