Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-20, 01:40   Link #1
chucky
Always impatient

Chapter 428 Discussion (spoilers)

Welcome to the One Piece manga chapter discussion thread .

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Please include this note at the start of any new manga discussion thread (otherwise there's a chance the thread will be deleted).
End of edit by Mod (xris)
---
OK, lemme give a synposis of this chapter. Please feel free to correct me if there are any factual errors.

1) Galley-la and frankie house didnt die, and they notified strawhats of their safety. Paoli saved them with his ropes and they climbed up, and gonna escape.
2) Luffy is too wounded to get up, and the buster call now turned the focus to him and try to bombard.
3) strawhat tried to escape with the ship frankie and robin robbed from spandem but the ship got destroyed.
4) sanji and kororo saved all of the people on the ship, and sanji said he did SOMETHING but not the detail.
5) Usopp noticed the arrival of merry and told robin to move luffy away.
6) Most importantly, going merry is back........ (more like a ghost ship though...)

http://img34.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_518lo.jpg

I dont think I need to say more?

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-20 at 19:57.
Old 2006-09-20, 03:27   Link #2
chucky
Always impatient

Indeed, being a pirate is that damn easy. Not even your ship would sink.

Maybe we should just pack up to thailand and set up a black lagoon-like company and rob the hell of everyone. A coup there anyway and that means even more lawlessness....
Old 2006-09-20, 06:05   Link #3
Oberon

Concerning the pic...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-20, 08:22   Link #4
deltara

If translations are not allowed how can people know what Chapter 428 is about?

How can there be a decent discussion if from the first 2 replies the only hint that is given is the resurrection of the gold merry from somwhere?

Thanks
Old 2006-09-20, 08:36   Link #5
chitgoks

is that even part of the manga? or just the cover page with no relation to the story
Old 2006-09-20, 08:39   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltara

How can there be a decent discussion if from the first 2 replies the only hint that is given is the resurrection of the gold merry from somwhere?

Thanks
Since One Piece is licensed the following posts are not allowed
  • Asking where you can find One Piece manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Linking to One Piece manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Posting One Piece scans or translations.
  • Discussing One Piece scan groups (past or present).
These rules applies to the raws as well.

You still are allowed to discuss the manga, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story itself.

Summaries are allowed, it's just that full translations are against the forum rules. The odd image or a translation of a line or paragraph is acceptable, that's considered "fair use" but more than that isn't allowed. The same applies to the other forums (such as Naruto and Bleach).

And just because you've posted translations before doesn't mean it's OK to continue doing so.
Old 2006-09-20, 10:10   Link #7
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Merry is back??? So the spoiler was really true after all...

I guess Merry didn't like the way they separated and became a stalker for our guys. But, in a non-repairable condition, in that storm, it is highly interesting that it made to Enies Lobby.

The bad thing is if that Klauberman (or whatever name it has) decides not to contact with our crew, then we will never know how the ship has come back.

But, the good thing is the reason Usopp left the crew was completely lost.
Old 2006-09-20, 13:07   Link #8
Caliban
Dyaus Pitar

Merry's back? BOOYAH! AWESOME! Klaubauterman F-T-W!
Old 2006-09-20, 15:05   Link #9
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Concerning the pic...

Spoiler:
Agreed, this is something i'm not sure i can except...

Grant it, i did have one problem with the merry's "death" when Kaku threw it into the sea, in that it was only ussop and franky were their to see it's "final moments"... seems more proper that if the ship should sink all the strawhats would be there to see it happen...

But this... Ship highly damaged already exceeded it's limit... lost out in a storm that can sink normal ships... finding its way all the way to enies lobby (maybe if this was all happening on water 7)... AND showing up to rescue them at the very last second... i love the going merry, but ugh, getting way too over the top for me

well, hopefully(though mournfully) it will still see its end with a tearful farewell (sink naturally or blasted by BC), as opposed to miraculously being repaired so it can sail again... i'd hate to see all those emotions and drama from water 7 go to waste... the drama over the dying Goining Merry was some of the best stuff i've seen from this series, one of oda's finest moments, it really moved me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltara

Thanks
Simple, you do like everyone else and find the translations and such yourself... i can't say where, but they are out there... or will be in the next day or so...

Quote:
is that even part of the manga? or just the cover page with no relation to the story
considering the little "one Piece" thing in the bottom corner, it looks like the last page of the chapter...
Old 2006-09-20, 15:22   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
Grant it, i did have one problem with the merry's "death" when Kaku threw it into the sea, in that it was only ussop and franky were their to see it's "final moments"... seems more proper that if the ship should sink all the strawhats would be there to see it happen...

But this... Ship highly damaged already exceeded it's limit... lost out in a storm that can sink normal ships... finding its way all the way to enies lobby (maybe if this was all happening on water 7)... AND showing up to rescue them at the very last second... i love the going merry, but ugh, getting way too over the top for me
The crew abandoned the ship much earlier than its forced departure, so that farewell part is not actually necessary for the the whole crew, maybe only for Usopp, who was also the sole witness for Merry's spirit. But, just for Usopp, to bring back Merry again, is, as you mentioned, a bit going overboard.

And I can understand its survival even during the storm, but passing through the storm with only one spirit crew, that shouldn't be capable of sailing the ship magically, is I guess beyond every one's imagination.
Old 2006-09-20, 19:59   Link #11
chucky
Always impatient

I cant help but feel that oda has run out of ideas to the point he has to defeat his own setup.....

Look at how many people are bitching on arlong park and my reactions are: on one hand beating the floor laughing but on the other feel a little bit... sad.....

I know it is a shonen manga; I know the "happy together" card is the trump; I know the 3 pillars of Jump hotblood manga are "friendship, victory and efforts" -- but man, it is very disheartening to see Oda needa resort to the closest thing to a career suicide to explain away so many things at once.
Old 2006-09-20, 21:26   Link #12
minimariam100

Send a message via AIM to minimariam100
agh i really hope they don't make they dont say going merry "miraculously survived" because that would be a complete waste of all those episodes in the water 7 arc. maybe someone can build a replica, but having the same ship is just come back after all that happened is too much.
Old 2006-09-20, 21:56   Link #13
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

By the way, does it seem the new Merry has two masts or is there another ship behind Merry? If I remember correctly, the original had only one.

Also, the summary mentions Sanji doing something secret. I don't think he had any opportunity to save Merry before he left for Enies Lobby. But, it feels like he might have something to do with. We will most probably learn about that in the next chapter.
Old 2006-09-20, 22:02   Link #14
chucky
Always impatient

It is just the same merry -- it always has two masts, but the back mast is usually covered by the orange trees....

And Sanji actually has nothing to do with merry. At least this is what I got from the chinese translation.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-20 at 23:36.
Old 2006-09-20, 22:13   Link #15
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
It is just the same merry -- it always has two masts, but one of the it usually covered by the orange trees....

And Sanji actually has nothing to do with merry. At least this is what I got from the chinese translation.
You are right, my mistake. Since it was usually in the shadow of the main mast and big sail, I forgot the part at the back.
Old 2006-09-21, 10:07   Link #16
marvelB

Ah, nice chapter! It's nice to see some more Buster Call action! And I had no doubt that Pauly and co. survived (due to the ropes, at that). The fact alone that Pauly grabbed the Den Den Mushi before the cannon blast reached them was proof that they wouldn't get killed, but enough aobut that subject for now.

I saw Merry's return coming. I've seen it coming ever since the whole Klaubertaumann discussion several chapters ago. Because of that, I'm not upset about this turn of events like so many others are. However, I DO believe that this will be Merry's final act. It'll probably just take the crew back to Water 7, then sink into the ocean for good. As for HOW Merry reached EL in the first place (or if it's Merry's spirit posessing another ship, etc.) I'm sure Oda will explain soon enough. But otherwise, I'm glad to see Merry taking hte crew on what will most likely be its' last voyage....
Old 2006-09-21, 15:58   Link #17
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
Agreed, this is something i'm not sure i can except...

What if it was just remade?
Old 2006-09-21, 16:58   Link #18
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
The crew abandoned the ship much earlier than its forced departure, so that farewell part is not actually necessary for the the whole crew, maybe only for Usopp, who was also the sole witness for Merry's spirit.
Ya i guess i can see that somewhat....

Quote:
And I can understand its survival even during the storm, but passing through the storm with only one spirit crew, that shouldn't be capable of sailing the ship magically, is I guess beyond every one's imagination.
indeed, like i said, maybe if this was all happening in water 7, i could buy it, but all the way in enies lobby?... i mean, seriously, where do you draw the line? You can only push things SO far before they just start feeling ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
Ah, nice chapter! It's nice to see some more Buster Call action! And I had no doubt that Pauly and co. survived (due to the ropes, at that). The fact alone that Pauly grabbed the Den Den Mushi before the cannon blast reached them was proof that they wouldn't get killed, but enough aobut that subject for now.
Ya, i didn't really believe those death either... though it was believable enough for me to second guess that thought...

Seriously, Oda, Mr. "almost never kills anyone with a name except in flashbacks", killing off that many poeple at once? bah... though i still think them dying would have been very effective... i mean, that's part of what makes the merry's "death" so tragic and effective is that fact that oda NEVER does that kind of stuff... really helps throw the audience into a shocker when you do something that goes against your norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo
What if it was just remade?
Well, it's not a remake, i think it's the real Merry... it even has that steal brace around it's neck from back when the head got torn off...

Though when speaking in general, i would have different concerns over a remake of the going merry that i addressed in the "what if Tom..." thread... Short version is that i though it would be kind of disrespectful to the new ship... Gally-la shipwrights said, that a remake of the ship would not be the same as the orginal ship, that no matter how much it looks like the old ship, it's not the old ship... Treating the new ship like it was the old ship, something that is not, is very harse and disrespectful to the new ship... the new ship should be loved for what it is, not for what it's not... It's like the new ship would forever be living in the shadow of the old ship... y'know...
Old 2006-09-21, 19:58   Link #19
DrFuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
-- but man, it is very disheartening to see Oda needa resort to the closest thing to a career suicide to explain away so many things at once.
Seriously, career suicide?

Some things are better off left to your imagination. Seriously guys, mysterious ships that dissapear and reapear empty. Think... The Bermuda Triangle? Klaubermann?

Or how about...

In 1623, a small Spanish ship containing the equivalent of 250 million dollars worth of gold was lost at sea close to Aruba. Did it sink? Was it robbed? Nobody knew.

Flash forward to 1965. While conducting some petroleum research on one of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, Ltd. Emmit Williams found the ship. No, not under the sea, but rather floating. Sure, the whole thing was totally rotting, not to mention that water filled almost a quarter of its cargo area. However, miraculously, it was still floating. No, there was absolutely no money inside, just a floating, rotting ship.

It just seems like the ship will take them to safety, then completely collapse... as a last hurrah. We will more than likely never know how the hell it got from water 7, through the aqua laguna, all the way to Enies Lobby... specially since it was supposed to break down very soon. You know, and that's not so bad. Really strange ocurrances such as these are known to be purposedly left unexplained.

...Unless you want a response like the one Lucy Lawless gave to the comic book guy in that Simpsons episode....
Old 2006-09-21, 20:22   Link #20
ragweed
woah woah!

It's pretty obvious Merry was going to show up sooner or later. I mean, seriously. Killing off a partial-character like Merry so suddenly like that just isn't how things are done in OP.

Oh Chucky, love the sig. It's so classy of you to advertise my art like that.
Closed Thread