Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-04, 00:55   Link #1
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Anime involving murders within a secluded area

I fall for those anime that base stories around murders. Especially if they are secluded in an island or a mansion. I read Higurashi and Umineko and my passion for murder mysteries grew even more. An example of this would be an episode from The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya where they were locked in a mansion while a murderer was on the loose.
Old 2010-10-04, 01:06   Link #2
jedinat

Meitantei Conan. Murders in every episode, and many of them are like you describe. Hundreds of episodes.
Old 2010-10-04, 06:38   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I would say Umineko no Naku Koro ni, though I insist that the Sound Novels are much, much, much, much better.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:35   Link #4
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
You might like Ghost Hunt.
Also Death Note.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:33   Link #5
Coruja

If you haven't read the Umineko sound novels, they are perfect for you (and a lot better than the manga/anime adaptations). I suppose you have read them already, though.

Monster
- includes murders in secluded places like hospitals, libraries, mansions and a particularly intense mass murder in a small village (Ruhenheim arc). It's very psychologic and some scenes are somewhat claustrophobic. It's probably my favorite anime.

Shiki
- new anime (but it's really good so far), I can't say much without spoiling it, but you might like it. There are some scenes that fit your criteria.

Ookami Kakushi
- a third story by Ryukishi07, so there are many similarities between Ookami Kakushi and Higurashi/Umineko. I didn't like it that much, though.

Chaos;Head
- the anime adaptation is not very good, but the visual novel is simply amazing, claustrophobic and creepy and I am sure you would like it. The murders are not necessarily in a secluded place but there's the "omg I'm being followed/targeted by the murderer" feeling.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:55   Link #6
TCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellatore View Post
I fall for those anime that base stories around murders. Especially if they are secluded in an island or a mansion. I read Higurashi and Umineko and my passion for murder mysteries grew even more. An example of this would be an episode from The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya where they were locked in a mansion while a murderer was on the loose.

I think you should really try out the OVA Denpa Teki na Kanojo. There are just two episodes of it which is a shame, since both episodes of the OVA got a really good plot from the beginning 'till the end and everything what you wish for. A very underrated show I think, it certainly deserves more praise and viewers.

The other would be Kara no Kyoukai, a series of movies (a total of 7) with excellent high quality animations, story/plot, character design and production value.

Hope these two suit your taste.

Good luck!
Old 2010-10-04, 12:39   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I second Kara no Kyoukai but I'm not sure the murders count as being in a secluded area (except the 5th film)
Old 2010-10-04, 12:43   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Both Shion no Ou and Mouryou no Hako include murder mysteries, though they're not set in a secluded locale.

Novels by Agatha Christie and P.D. James are generally of the "locked-room" variety as are some of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories.
Old 2010-10-04, 14:44   Link #9
Falkor

oh I really want to recommend HakoMari (Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria) (thread at AS). I think it fits your criteria for "murders in a secluded area". sadly, it's not an anime, but a light novel, currently translated at Baka-Tsuki. not exactly your "locked-room" kind of thing, but plenty of mystery/psychological undertones that will keep you at the edge of your sit. I don't think any summary/review will make the work justice, but if I can describe the story in a few words "it's about a box that grants wishes" (this is not exactly what the story is about, but I hope this line can pique the interest of some people ). highly recommended!
Old 2010-10-04, 15:29   Link #10
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm adding all of these to my Murder Mystery list
Hopefully I can get the president of the anime club at our school to let us watch some of these with other students too (and not by myself).
Old 2010-10-04, 17:52   Link #11
cerrian

Another great murder mystery is Kaze no Yojimbo. Takes place in a small remote town in what seems to be a mid-90's time period. It is one of the more mature mystery series out there and also has one of the more realisitc settings as well. No fantasy, no magic, no super characters, and no deus ex machima here, just some very vulnerable human characters.
Old 2010-10-05, 15:40   Link #12
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Both Shion no Ou and Mouryou no Hako include murder mysteries, though they're not set in a secluded locale.

Novels by Agatha Christie and P.D. James are generally of the "locked-room" variety as are some of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories.
I actually read a bunch of Agatha Christies works, phenomenal reading might I add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
If you haven't read the Umineko sound novels, they are perfect for you (and a lot better than the manga/anime adaptations). I suppose you have read them already, though.

Monster
- includes murders in secluded places like hospitals, libraries, mansions and a particularly intense mass murder in a small village (Ruhenheim arc). It's very psychologic and some scenes are somewhat claustrophobic. It's probably my favorite anime.

Shiki
- new anime (but it's really good so far), I can't say much without spoiling it, but you might like it. There are some scenes that fit your criteria.

Ookami Kakushi
- a third story by Ryukishi07, so there are many similarities between Ookami Kakushi and Higurashi/Umineko. I didn't like it that much, though.

Chaos;Head
- the anime adaptation is not very good, but the visual novel is simply amazing, claustrophobic and creepy and I am sure you would like it. The murders are not necessarily in a secluded place but there's the "omg I'm being followed/targeted by the murderer" feeling.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I think you really captured what I was really looking for. I'm going to have a fun time watching these at night :]
I also actually haven't read the visual novels for Umineko, I searched for it when the anime first came out however there weren't any English translations. I'll definitely be checking out on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
You might like Ghost Hunt.
Also Death Note.
I'm currently reading Ghost Hunt, It's not really murder mystery but rather just mystery. Thanks for the suggestion though! If I wasn't already reading it you definitely would have gotten me addicted to it. Death Note was amazing too, the psychological battles that Light has with everybody along with his overall cleverness really made for a nice story with a very dark ending.
Old 2010-10-05, 15:46   Link #13
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellatore View Post
I also actually haven't read the visual novels for Umineko, I searched for it when the anime first came out however there weren't any English translations. I'll definitely be checking out on that.
Errr...I wonder if you actually "searched", because the translation was running sky high for 2 years prior the anime series.

Anyway, I will second Kara no Kyoukai (although it is more about the mood than actual same setup).
But as for a recent series, Shiki is really the closest call for what you are looking for (good timing, since the series was on hiatus for 3 weeks).
Old 2010-10-05, 15:52   Link #14
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Yeah, I guess I kind of half-assed looked for those Umineko translations huh, heh. Well I guess I can search right now, I stopped being lazy over the summer for some reason. Also, even if the mood of the anime is creepy/scary that's good enough for me. I tend to fall into those kind of things easily so I usually enjoy watching most anime I see rather than criticize it. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to be busy watching these but you can keep posting suggestions for people who might want to search into this type of anime also.
Closed Thread