AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-11, 18:25   Link #1
kitten320

Suspense and drama

I really long for some good drama and suspense anime, can't find anything worthy lately. Thought that detective Yakumo would work, but it lacks in suspense.

Series can be romance based as long as romance is the centre of the series. Not like we have some action series where romance suddenly takes priority.

Shows that I really enjoyed would be:
Mai HiME - though ending could be slightly better.
Ga-Rei Zero
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Everything else you can find in my anime list, link is in my signature. Hope you can help.

P.S. If there is any good anime in my "Plan to watch list", just let me know!
Old 2010-11-11, 18:53   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

Higurashi no naku Koro ni and its sequel Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai- a solid horror/mystery series. Don't be fooled by its cute art style, the series for the most part isn't lighthearted. Both seasons have plenty of suspense and shocking twists/revelations. The first is more horror-oriented and scarier, but the second season resolves the questions that the first season left hanging.
Old 2010-11-11, 18:56   Link #3
kitten320

Yeh I heard about it and saw some moments, a lot of cruel killing is involved there like for example cutting someone into parts and hiding into fridge 0_0

Well might give it a try though horros are not really my thing, but will see.

Still thanks^^
Old 2010-11-11, 19:16   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Monster would be my first suggestion.

You might also try Nijuu Mensou no Musume and Shion no Ou. Both have "plucky" young heroines and mystery.

Some other shows I didn't see in your list:

Dennou Coil - the mystery is less important than the context
Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke (officially "horror" but not the zombies falling from the ceiling type of show by any means)
Ghost Hound - an unusual mix of mystery, mysticism, and psychiatry (streaming; subscription required)
Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo - fluffy, but excellent seiyuu performances elevate this show above the "monster-of-the-week" format
Mouryou no Hako - mystery and philosophy; can be a bit slow going in the middle
Old 2010-11-11, 19:18   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

@kitten320

Most of the brutality is limited to the first season, the second season has much less of it so once you get past the first season, you're pretty much safe. And I think it's worth sitting through since the plot is quite clever and elaborate.

You can probably hit fast forward once the blood starts flying if that stuff disturbs you.
Old 2010-11-11, 19:42   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

For a romance one I'd say Bungaku Shoujo, it has a lot of well done drama in it, and definitely some suspense at points. Though it might not seem like it at first, things will come into play fairly quickly.

I hate to suggest something you've dropped in the past, but Kannazuki no Miko does hits a major turning point similar to that of Mai-Hime, so might be worth considering giving it another chance.

Edit: unrelated to suspense/drama, but
Quote:
I see Seirei no Moribito is on your to watch list, and I can't ignore a chance to back that series , it's a great fantasy series with a few scattered absurdly realistic combat scenes during the series with a pretty good plot overall.

And Katanagatari given that you liked Spice and Wolf, you will probably enjoy it, since it's driven somewhat similarly, mainly the journey/adventure/interaction of the two main characters. Though expect it to be weird in the same way as Bakemonogatari was since it's a Nisio work. Though you could be waiting for it to end, so my rant on it might be pointless xD.

I'd give more credit to Shana, but with your taste in series, it's had for me to judge if should put any priority to the series for you .
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-11-11 at 20:02.
Old 2010-11-11, 20:23   Link #7
kitten320

SeijiSensei
Big list, thanks a bunch! Will take a look

GreatTeacherKen
I don't mind blood, I just don't like mindless cruelty as it usually happens in horrors. But I do watch horros from time to time, so yeh I guess I will give it a go later^^

Konakaga Duno but somehow Kanazuki didn't work for me though I know the whole story there. But somehow I never was able to finish whole series, I tried twice already. Who knows, maybe number 3 will be lucky

What about Shana series might not work for me?

Anyway thanks everyone for suggestions!

Would appreciated if you could suggest something more emotional, dramatic and tear jacking, somehow I feel like getting depressed despite being in good mood
Old 2010-11-11, 20:30   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
What about Shana series might not work for me?

Anyway thanks everyone for suggestions!
Well from your list, it's hard for me to tell if you dislike tsundere, or if you just happen to not have seen many series with tsundere characters in it, and Shana is considered one of the characters who defined what is considered tsundere today, that's why it might be an issue.
MAL
Old 2010-11-11, 20:35   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Would appreciated if you could suggest something more emotional, dramatic and tear jacking, somehow I feel like getting depressed despite being in good mood
There are a couple of other recent threads in the Suggestions forum that you should look at in this regard. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a good bet. The movie Grave of the Fireflies will leave you depressed for days.
Old 2010-11-11, 20:48   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

I just thought of another series that might be worth a look.

X TV- a dark urban fantasy series about two factions, Dragons of Heaven and Dragons of Earth, battling for the fate of humanity. The former wants to protect humanity, the latter wants to destroy it. However, the characters on both sides are given lots of character development so the conflict is much less black and white than it may initially seem. There's plenty of drama and suspense in the series since many of the characters (even the most sympathetic and noble ones) don't make it to the end and the relationships between the members of both factions are quite complex.
Old 2010-11-11, 21:32   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Lots of greats recs, but SeijiSensei's Ghost Hound was the series I thought of first reading your OP.
Old 2010-11-11, 21:48   Link #12
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Seconding Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Dennou Coil, and Katanagatari.

Recommending Higashi no Eden, Code Geass, Kara no Kyoukai, Wolf's Rain, and Shiki (although it starts off slow but builds up an excellently creepy atmosphere).
Old 2010-11-11, 22:36   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Recommending Higashi no Eden, Code Geass, Kara no Kyoukai, Wolf's Rain, and Shiki (although it starts off slow but builds up an excellently creepy atmosphere).
Code Geass, Kara no Kyoukai[some of it at least], and Wolf's Rain are on Kitten320's completed list.
MAL
Old 2010-11-12, 02:06   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Gunslinger girl? (first season) , not really that much suspense but lots of drama
Old 2010-11-12, 04:04   Link #15
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh for f...

I recommend:
Mushishi
Shiki
Aoi Bungaku

Quote:
Cross Game
Dennou Coil
Katanagatari
Serei no Moribito
Summer Wars
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

And ofcourse, Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2010-11-12, 14:21   Link #16
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Thirding Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and it's sequal. It may seem cruel at the beginning, but things are later explained as to why, which makes everything so much better~
Old 2010-11-12, 19:37   Link #17
Coruja

Why aren't you watching Shiki? It has suspense and drama.
And Monster obviously.
Old 2010-11-27, 13:04   Link #18
kitten320

Ok, thanks everyone for suggestions