AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-10-18, 06:37   Link #101
Shay
Monarch Programmer

31, two kids, professional career, still watch Naruto.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 08:22   Link #102
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It sometimes crosses your mind.

Like when I see posts of someone young talking about how otaku culture was in a certain era that was completely unfounded and false, obviously not actually lived that era and making assumptions based on no factual information, makes you ponder the person's age.

It's like how Bryan Adams wasn't actually a highschool kid in Summer of 69, rather, he was a ten years old.
Well even some of us don't live through that era in person, in Japan, like you do, there are a few who still prefer muscular manly men calling out their attacks over quiet useless pretty boys.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 08:44   Link #103
ViolentLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well even some of us don't live through that era in person, in Japan, like you do, there are a few who still prefer muscular manly men calling out their attacks over quiet useless pretty boys.
HEY

being pretty is a skill
ViolentLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 09:15   Link #104
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I've always considered makeups to be rather complex and adept skillset.

Quote:
Nah, not that.
I'm mostly talking about people make statements like "well back then they didn't have as much ecchi stuff on TV" or "yuri was never popular among girls" and other such nonsense, just talking completely out of ass without any factual backup, when actual facts say the complete opposite. Despite actually not being familiar with the era, they do no actual research before somehow making assumption on something they know nothing about. You know what I'm talking about lol.
Old 2012-10-18, 16:15   Link #105
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I'm mostly talking about people make statements like "well back then they didn't have as much ecchi stuff on TV" or "yuri was never popular among girls" and other such nonsense, just talking completely out of ass without any factual backup.
Let's be honest here:
A lot of 'Oldtimers' memories are pretty selective and often too hung up on nostalgia to actually give an unbiased statement on "Back when..."

Especially when "Back when" the offerings available out of Japan were few and far between, hardly giving many western fans a valid opinion of the entire 'scene'

So we have youngsters with an opinion of a time they did not experience
(but perhaps can research)
and we have oldies who should know better, yet base the entire past on their own small scope of viewings
Old 2012-10-18, 19:43   Link #106
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I've always considered makeups to be rather complex and adept skillset.

Nah, not that.
I'm mostly talking about people make statements like "well back then they didn't have as much ecchi stuff on TV" or "yuri was never popular among girls" and other such nonsense, just talking completely out of ass without any factual backup, when actual facts say the complete opposite. Despite actually not being familiar with the era, they do no actual research before somehow making assumption on something they know nothing about. You know what I'm talking about lol.
Come to think of it, it IS difficult to do factual research on the past. I say that people who have lived through the era AND experienced it IN DEPTH would know more about it than those who don't.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 20:54   Link #107
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Let's be honest here:
A lot of 'Oldtimers' memories are pretty selective and often too hung up on nostalgia to actually give an unbiased statement on "Back when..."

Especially when "Back when" the offerings available out of Japan were few and far between, hardly giving many western fans a valid opinion of the entire 'scene'

and we have oldies who should know better, yet base the entire past on their own small scope of viewings
That's true as well. Either case, you look at the age, and have different reactions based on it.
Old 2012-10-21, 16:15   Link #108
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I don't think judging by how they type is good either.
-Some of us are lazy and don't proofread, like at all. If it has a red line, it gets fixed, if it doesn't oh fucking well. I'm one of them, and judging by how many times people accidentally a word, I would say a significant part of this forum is the same.
-Some people don't speak English well, thus while they probably will produce grammatically correct sentences, won't sound good.
-Some people don't speak English at all, and what we are getting from them is a a shitty Google Translate version.
-Some people have very valid points to make, and make them pretty well, but fail to understand the concept of paragraphs. This is very very very common on the internet.

I think that people who are obviously typing immaturely (e.g. 1337sp34|<, txting, mkaing obviuos speeling mistaeks that will be caught and not fixing them, etc) probably deserve to be judged, but I think that just because someone doesn't spend a lot of time figuring out how they want to phrase themselves/is godly at English, doesn't make them worse than someone else that is good at writing.
I understand when English obviously isn't somebodies first language, and that doesn't bother me. What I'm talking about is when they use what I call Hom3stuk S93Ak or they dO tHiS or there is absolutely no use of punctuation, capitalization, etc. Or When They Overuse Capitalized Letters Like This Oh My God. I'm not asking for them to type as if they're an amazing author or anything, because not everyone is perfect. Heck, I'm not. But when they either PURPOSELY misspell things, add random numbers, or are just SO lazy that they don't even look like they try at all (When I say that, I mean EXTREMELY lazy.) , that bothers me and makes me think they're 12.

I usually will treat everyone equally. However, if they type like they're 5 (with the exception of English not being their first language) then I tend to try to avoid them more because I'm, well, a jerk.
Old 2012-10-21, 16:18   Link #109
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Come to think of it, it IS difficult to do factual research on the past. I say that people who have lived through the era AND experienced it IN DEPTH would know more about it than those who don't.
Except then they are subject to personal biases and may be unable to provide an impartial view of the "big picture" ..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 17:42   Link #110
jdennis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Let's be honest here:

It is known as Reagan's syndrome or selective memory loss.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 20:15   Link #111
Byakou

Language ability is an important factor. I know people that have good professional careers (eg. engineer) but couldn't spell even if their life was on the line. They'd probably sound like retards if they ventured on internet.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 20:35   Link #112
CasualAnimeFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Language ability is an important factor. I know people that have good professional careers (eg. engineer) but couldn't spell even if their life was on the line.
I finished a book not too long ago about the longitude problem from the 17th and 18th centuries. The guy who more or less solved it (created a timepiece which could keep accurate time over months on a sea going vessel) writings' were very difficult to read. The dude was a genius of his time in his area. Communication just wasn't a high priority. Getting things done was.
CasualAnimeFan is offline   Reply With Quote