Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-02, 20:48   Link #4961
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highman View Post
You suppose to play 4 years when in college and I think your stating with the underclassmen.

But I'll add this link for information:

http://www.docsports.com/current/nfl-draft-rules.html
I'm not sure if I get what you're saying. That link backs up what I said; as long as you're three years removed from high school, you can declare.

And...

Very sad about Seau. Only 43...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 22:54   Link #4962
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm not sure if I get what you're saying. That link backs up what I said; as long as you're three years removed from high school, you can declare.

And...

Very sad about Seau. Only 43...
Nevermind about that sometimes I don't know more about the drafting eligibility system much.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 00:05   Link #4963
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
A tribute to one of the best LB's in the game, I've seen him play in Patriots uniform and was awesome to the max. I kinda thought he would comeback with the Pats again after that perfect streak ended in SB42. He had a great life and could've done something through to help NFL push the boundaries against concussions being alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR67bL-7As0
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 01:46   Link #4964
Kyuu
=^^=

A career since 1990? Man, that's longer than Favre's career.

Also. With the career ending into retirement this past year. I'm going to speculate: his motivation to kill himself was an extreme case of the mid-life crisis.

Of course, can't know that for certain. That's just my guess.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 04:24   Link #4965
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Wow, the Seau death is a real shocker. Well...some things in life affect people more than others. Some people don't handle being away from the field or spotlight. Some people can't handle domestic breakups. Some let pride or perceived images of masculinity get in the way of asking for help.

Hopefully Goodell and others will get something in place to help players for what happens after their careers. Geez...I hope this doesn't tarnish his legacy much. Surely NFL Hall of Fame by 2015.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:09   Link #4966
GDB

Well, Ravens are effed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d..._breaking_news
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 18:06   Link #4967
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's definitely a punch to the gut. But as great as Suggs is in every facet of the game, it's not like the team has no quality depth at OLB. And the team has played games without Ray and Ed quite a bit in recent years and held up pretty well. Playing without Suggs, no matter how long, will be little different.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 2012-05-03, 18:27   Link #4968
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
It's definitely a punch to the gut. But as great as Suggs is in every facet of the game, it's not like the team has no quality depth at OLB. And the team has played games without Ray and Ed quite a bit in recent years and held up pretty well. Playing without Suggs, no matter how long, will be little different.
The best hope is that we make it to the playoffs without him, and without taking too many other injuries, and he manages to make it back at 100% just in time for when it matters most. Given that playoffs are still 8 months away, and if I recall an ACL tear takes 6-12 months to heal, there's a chance. I'd just rather not lose him for good by making him go in too early and making it worse.
Old 2012-05-03, 18:45   Link #4969
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The best hope is that we make it to the playoffs without him, and without taking too many other injuries, and he manages to make it back at 100% just in time for when it matters most. Given that playoffs are still 8 months away, and if I recall an ACL tear takes 6-12 months to heal, there's a chance. I'd just rather not lose him for good by making him go in too early and making it worse.
It was an Achilles tendon tear. Even with it reportedly being partial, I'd be shocked if he's at 100% at any point next season.

But I definitely think the team can advance to the post-season without him. My worry is the run D falling off a bit.
Old 2012-05-03, 18:45   Link #4970
GDB

Oh, I misread then. Thought it said ACL. Damn.
Old 2012-05-03, 20:56   Link #4971
ChainLegacy
廉頗

The news regarding Seau certainly is coming at a fitting time. I'm not sure what the solution could be, but it's definitely going to be looked at more seriously than ever before, I feel like.

More than 100 former NFL players sue league over concussions

Someone suggested returning to leather helmets on the radio earlier. Sounds ridiculous at first, but it's something to ponder. Linebackers like Seau definitely use their heads as battering rams, maybe not directly hitting head-first always, but certainly with little regard for their brain's safety. Problem is, everyone is used to playing like that and I highly doubt people could make the switch easily. My personal opinion is these guys sign up for it and they should see what is coming, but it also touches upon a sociological issue: is this just a nicer version of Roman gladiator combat? We love and enjoy it just as the Romans did, revel in the bone crunching hits, want guys back on the field ASAP after injury, etc. I certainly am guilty of the mentality. Then so many of these guys either die early or end up with degenerative brain function. It's just a less gruesome, more drawn out means to the same end.

Though I really wouldn't change anything, personally. Put the information out there so everyone is aware and plays at their own risk. More research still needs to be done. It's just an interesting topic to ponder.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 03:53   Link #4972
Samari
World's Greatest

The Ravens should still make the playoffs. I see them winning at least 10 games as long as they don't have any more extensive injuries to key players.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:53   Link #4973
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It's up to Baltimore's offense really. Even without Suggs their defense is still a power. Can Flacco do more and have weapons or will they be too reliant on Rice as usual?
Old 2012-05-04, 23:19   Link #4974
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Seems Plummer agrees with me on the NFL needing an 'After the career' program.

" People can take pills, run their car off the road, and that's a cry for help. He was crying out for help. Yet he was too proud to ask for it. You can grow up and live your childhood dream and be a hometown hero and then feel, 'Is this all there is?' when it's over. There is no exit strategy from the NFL. "It's: 'You're done.' You don't even get an apple and a road map."

- Former teammate Gary Plummer, says Junior Seau was 'facing demons,' for months.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:11   Link #4975
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I am going to agreed with you , Last Sinner

Just like the military, then you are getting out, they give you classes and information about what is on the onside and how to get them like VA benefits (I didn't get mines yet but its coming) and other stuff like that.

NFL should do something like that, so they have the understand that there is a life after football and there is alot of different stuff and beliefs they deserve from play in a sport that actually shorten your life.
Old 2012-06-04, 07:33   Link #4976
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Jacksonville WR rookie Blackmon busted for DUI, .24 BAC

Hopefully this isn't another Ryan Leaf-like scenario in the making...
Old 2012-06-04, 10:21   Link #4977
GDB

0.24? When I read the report last night, it was 0.15 or 0.18. How'd it go up since then?
Old 2012-06-07, 08:20   Link #4978
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Brandon Jacobs gets $3.36 in the mail from a 6 yr old fan.

dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 13:07   Link #4979
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Better him to receive that, than Tiki Barber.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 21:55   Link #4980
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

LaDainian Tomlinson to retire; will do so as a Charger.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...mlinson-retire
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports