AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 12:24   Link #161
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The Crunchyroll page for the show itself lists that the simulcast is "normally" on Fridays, which is when it first airs on the CS channel. The first episode is streaming on 10/2 presumably because they got the license late and only just got the materials, so they can't deliver it right now. So it appears to be a real simulcast, but with a delayed premiere.
the link posted earler says: "Shin Sekai Yori is set to broadcast every Tuesday starting on October 2, at 12:40 pm Pacific Time for premium members. Free members are able to view one week after initial broadcast on Crunchyroll. "
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 12:31   Link #162
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
the link posted earler says: "Shin Sekai Yori is set to broadcast every Tuesday starting on October 2, at 12:40 pm Pacific Time for premium members. Free members are able to view one week after initial broadcast on Crunchyroll. "
Yeah but look at this: http://www.crunchyroll.com/shin-seka...-the-new-world
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:29   Link #163
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
what i wanted to say is that the situation is uncertain, becouse the news contradict thmseves (in fact utw are subbing for now)
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:57   Link #164
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
what i wanted to say is that the situation is uncertain, becouse the news contradict thmseves (in fact utw are subbing for now)
Yeah, I was just providing the source of why some people think it's a real simulcast after episode 1. I guess we'll have to wait until it starts next week before we know for sure.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 17:24   Link #165
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by komaruze View Post
Spoiler for Episode 1:
Spoiler for Clarification (possible novel spoilers):
Old 2012-09-29, 19:03   Link #166
scr
my sides are in orbit

Whoa, a Shintoistic Slenderman appears!
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 03:11   Link #167
Fevvers
a regular van veen

My most anticipated series of the season doesn't disappoint!

First episode was an interesting directorial debut for Ishihama; there was a menacing tone to the whole episode that felt restrained (unlike in recent horror/suspense anime like Another and Shiki where the creep factor was as subtle as a sledge hammer). Animation wasn't all that but I did see some short sakuga; I can't wait to see more.

i thought the first episode took an interesting take at world building. I like Saki herself, I suppose the voice actress lent a whole lot of rawness to her voice that made her more realistic. I'm also especially curious of Saki's family dynamics (reminds me a little bit of Ghost Hound's treatment of family trauma bit I digress).

Love the script so far as well, very natural and dynamic.

Watching this I am quite relieved none of my expectations came to fruition (what with all the pandering tone and art of the manga I keep hearing about). It's really been quite some time since an anime has made me excited.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 07:23   Link #168
Aesthetic Shampoo

Well the beginning completely hooked me, but as it went on i became more and more lost. Not that that's a bad thing, i just dislike it when they throw a bunch of terminology at you without even explaining the premise. I wouldn't even have known this was the future if it wasn't for the synopsis.

But i am definitely intrigued; the horror aspect of it looks interesting as hell. I heard this was a novel, is it available to read anywhere?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 07:32   Link #169
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I wouldn't even have known this was the future if it wasn't for the synopsis.
There was a "1000 years later" title that's shown towards the beginning.
Old 2012-09-30, 08:45   Link #170
ookamigirl

Hmm... this is an unusual, but so far interesting.
Saki awakens into adulthood and is transferred to a new school where she meets up with her friends.
Seems like all of the kids are telekinetic.
Saki was the only one who actually questioned what happened to the other kids.
Reiko wasn't doing well at all. At this rate ...
Saki wasn't taking her friends' horror stories for granted though.
It's probably 'cause she was close to one herself.
The adults are hiding some ugly truth...
Looks like it's the survival of the fittest only.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 09:21   Link #171
HandofFate

I like the whole telekinesis thing, not sure if the whole conspiracy/world order thing controlling everything from the shadows will be interesting enough for me to keep me going though. I just hate those kind of settings.
Old 2012-09-30, 10:05   Link #172
novalysis

You know something? Reading in between the lines, I'm suspecting that Eugenics is being conducted on a a massive scale. Literally, Muggle-hood disqualifies you from the title of Human, and I wonder how much blood and how far humanity was thrown back to see it done.

I also wonder how other continents educate their children. Somehow, I have this vision of Monastic Schools in the Bible-belt, and Paladin Elite Telekentic mages in the West. Across the Monotheistic world, telekentic powers are symbolically offered up to God.

Anyway, there's alot of... Shaftiness to this series. Really, imagery wise, it seems to have some of the ... Shaft style to it. Is Shaft's unique abstract style catching on among other anime studios, especially when it comes to stories like this>
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 10:13   Link #173
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It does make you wonder about the situation in these villages. Clearly nothing good is happening to the kids who aren't good enough. Who knows how many kids within Saki's own family were dealt with because they never gained an ability. One would probably be enough to have the mother freaking out.

How the disappearance of Reiko is dealt with should help define how this is being done.

Assume Saki's feeling of similarity between the school and farm will be rather accurate. Raising up these kids with special abilities and getting rid of those who are of a low quality.
Old 2012-09-30, 10:52   Link #174
scr
my sides are in orbit

This could be the Haibane Renmei of the new tens.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 11:25   Link #175
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was completely sold within the first few minutes. The music that played around 2:20 totally entranced me. The directing as a whole was really mesmerizing. It did a good job building an oppressing atmosphere. You can tell from the visuals alone that something is seriously wrong in this community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
You know something? Reading in between the lines, I'm suspecting that Eugenics is being conducted on a a massive scale. Literally, Muggle-hood disqualifies you from the title of Human, and I wonder how much blood and how far humanity was thrown back to see it done.
Yeah, the first episode hinted pretty strongly that children whose powers do not awaken are disposed of by that cat thing (whatever it is). Only children with powers are allowed to live. Seems like Saki's had quite a few older siblings that didn't make the cut.

The story takes place 1000 into the future, so a lot could have happen. The blatant lack of technology indicates some huge changes have been made. The opening sequence showed several kids using their powers to mass murder people in the 21st century, so that's probably when people with abilities started appearing. It might have escalated into a war between normal humans and superhumans, which ended with the genocide of normal humans and the building of an eugenistic society to ensure a war would never happen again (if there are no normal humans anymore, they can't rise up). If that's the case, then this is pretty dark. Can't wait to learn more.
Old 2012-09-30, 12:47   Link #176
whitecloud

Well basically it's like what happened in Sparta many years ago...it's very eerie that history seems to repeat itself...in Sparta its to select those with strong physical ability while here spiritual/mind ability
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 13:13   Link #177
Amoiro Nguyen
lazy onee-sama

The first episode was pretty confused, like EssTess said, too much situation and no explanation.
But it is not a big deal, I'm sure we'll understand things as the series go on.
Old 2012-09-30, 13:26   Link #178
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
7 minutes 26 seconds. The amount of time the show managed to last without any sort of sign of a school setting, and those were probably the most interesting moments of the show. The whole depiction of the fire ritual felt like something out of another show I'm watching right now called Gasaraki where a lot of time is spent on showcasing the very intricate Kabuki dance rituals and talk of conspiracy and releasing or sealing a great power. Also the chanting, visuals of masks and demons and just the general feeling of mass conspiracy moving along all events in the series over the course of what appears to be centuries also served to remind me a lot of that show.

As for the school setting, thankfully it doesn't fall into any of the usual trappings and comes off more as like the Xavier Mutant Academy with various personalities trying to learn to better control their powers. Though unlike in that academy apparently if you don't do well some evil cat thing comes and makes you disappear. Though is it really what it's perceived to be?

Anyway things move REALLY fast in this opening episode as the type of setting we are dealing with is unveiled, but a lot of the visual sequences show some real imagination, something it feels like TV anime is just starting to rediscover lately. This didn't used to be THAT uncommon such that only a handful of studios and directors would regularly be acknowledged for exhibiting it in the usual online circles, but if you'd come into anime in the last 5 or so years only I would say that the past year or so has been something of a treat in terms of visuals and direction. For me it's getting back to business as usual. Can't complain really.

So overall while a little muddled and fast on the opening exposition as I said I think that's to be expected since the show is atypical for TV anime in it's subject matter and thus doesn't need to nor really can rely on recognition or assumption of tropes to establish precisely what we're dealing with in the opening episode. This is good because it allows room for further exploration of the setting and characters and the chance to start peeling back the layers in the future, which is I assume what we're going to be getting. Lastly I think it bares mentioning that I really like the overall costume design for the series. Nothing like a little traditional Japanese clothing to spice things up. Even the school uniforms take on something of a traditional Japanese clothing aesthetic, looking a bit like a cross between the typical sailor outfit and a kimono. I assume we'll eventually discover why Japan seems to have partially regressed back to the living styles of feudal times over the course of the series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 14:14   Link #179
Grey

Interesting. Nice creepy vibe. Lots to speculate about with how the world works but not too much to really go on yet.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 14:19   Link #180
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

While I wasn't particularly wowed by this first episode, it's also apparant that this is going to be one of those shows where I could go through a good portion of it with a "meh" attitude that changes to "wow" once everything begins to come to light.

Which, I suppose, is my way of saying as underwhelming as I found this episode, I'm very open to the prospect that by the time this show is over, I'll be finding it fantastic.

As for the basic premise, the short blurb I read on randomc's fall preview, assuming it's accurate, would seem to answer a lot of the confusion apparant in this thread already.

I think I'll wait until next week to start doing any real speculating, as even though I'd hardly count info gleamed from a short description of a show as spoilers, it'd sure feel like spoilers based on the general questions being asked right now.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural