AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-26, 01:39   Link #1
dark_breaka
Äñìmê Frëã|{

Elfen Lied

I must say this is the best so far most violent first ep i've seen of any anime i've watched so for man the first ep of this just got me hooked on since all that mostly contained in the first ep was killing ppl, taking them apart, exploding them, and alsmot like dissecting in one scene
dark_breaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 01:41   Link #2
lamer_de

The anime is called "Elfen Lied", not Elfin Lied....

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-07-26, 02:23   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'm really surprised by the first episode. It's completely different from what one may think from the art used in the official website... extremely gory and extremely violent, really kickass stuff!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 08:34   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Episode 1.

My first impression, I like this new series. It goes along the line of Tsukihime, mysterious and dark. The bloody scene was quite brutal. ^^;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 09:15   Link #5
oDin01

This is the most violent anime I've watched since Berserk and loved every minute of it.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 13:58   Link #6
brightman
Ancient Member

Yup... Definitely an excellent first episode. The potential for the characters are there too. And of course... All the violence and nudity are there.
Old 2004-07-26, 14:29   Link #7
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Episode 1.
My first impression, I like this new series. It goes along the line of Tsukihime, mysterious and dark. The bloody scene was quite brutal. ^^;;
I'm instantly falling in love with this series, although for me it's more like Konomini done right, ie. with extremely gothic, dark, bloody, violent and mysterious elements. Nyuu (the girl lead) reminds me a lot of Hikari of Konomini, who holds the key to the destruction of humanity, and very cute and innocent in "normal mode". The difference is that in her "evil mode", the show definitely doesn't shy from showing gruelsome stuff. Just imagine a Konomini where it shows Hikari in her "evil mode" tearing humans limb from limb apart in extreme details

Since Secca posted some of the "nicer" screenshots of Elfen Lied, I guess I'll post some... ummm... "not-so-nice" screenshots

Spoiler for don't look if you are not comfortable with LOTS of blood and gore:

Just to be safe, as I'm not sure how gross is "extreme gross", so if any mod find the pictures against the forum rules, PM me and I'll take them down in no time, or feel free to edit anything you feel inappropriate...

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-07-26 at 14:57.
Old 2004-07-26, 14:44   Link #8
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Wow the visuals look excellent. Too bad its licensed. It's dark, bloody and has simply stunning animation and graphics. Can't wait for the ADV dvds to come out.
Old 2004-07-26, 15:10   Link #9
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
... ummm... "not-so-nice" screenshots
Oh god that scene, I was more mad at that girl that got herself killed. I was like, this is not the time for some clumsy girl to slip on the floor and try to be cute in front of a psycho killer. >_<;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 16:31   Link #10
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
I'm instantly falling in love with this series, although for me it's more like Konomini done right, ie. with extremely gothic, dark, bloody, violent and mysterious elements.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feel that way... This does resemble Konomini in many ways, but it's just so much better in every way.

Anyway, even the TV episode is censored (there are fog aka "steam" in some of the decapitation scenes that clouds up the action), but its nowhere near the levels of say, GANTZ and Girls Bravo. But hopefully the ADV version won't be the same. I just can't stand any form of censorship.
Old 2004-07-26, 16:34   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh god that scene, I was more mad at that girl that got herself killed. I was like, this is not the time for some clumsy girl to slip on the floor and try to be cute in front of a psycho killer. >_<;;
hmm...this is the scene that ruined this first ep for me. If it had been omitted or even handled differently I may have said the first ep was promising at least. The violence didn't bother me at all, but that scene did...

Like Dreamless said, it does seem like a darker more challenging version of Konomini, but pretty familiar all the same. Not sure about this one really, I get the impression it'll just descend into a bloodbath...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 16:37   Link #12
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
hmm...this is the scene that ruined this first ep for me. If it had been omitted or even handled differently I may have said the first ep was promising at least. The violence didn't bother me at all, but that scene did...
Actually it was already toned down from the manga from what I've seen...
Spoiler for manga:

It's less bloody, but I don't know if that fits your definition of "handling [it] differently" though.
Old 2004-07-26, 16:41   Link #13
dreamless

Quote:
Well, that part really surprised me...
Spoiler:

such a cute klutz

Quote:
Wow the visuals look excellent. Too bad its licensed. It's dark, bloody and has simply stunning animation and graphics. Can't wait for the ADV dvds to come out.
Not only the visuals are excellent, the music and sound effects are also top-notch! I love the choir at the beginning. Always love beautiful choir accompanying bloody scenes

BTW, anyone understands the english letters appearing behind the kanji titles? For the first episode the kanji title which means something like "meeting" but with english letters "BEGEGNUNG" behind... the second episode with a kanji title "hunting" and english letters "VERNICHTUNG"... what does that mean?
Old 2004-07-26, 16:43   Link #14
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
BTW, anyone understands the english letters appearing behind the kanji titles? For the first episode the kanji title which means something like "meeting" but with english letters "BEGEGNUNG" behind... the second episode with a kanji title "hunting" and english letters "VERNICHTUNG"... what does that mean?
It's German

"begegnung" = "meeting"
"vernichtung" = "destruction"
Old 2004-07-26, 16:53   Link #15
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Actually it was already toned down from the manga from what I've seen...
Spoiler for manga:

It's less bloody, but I don't know if that fits your definition of "handling [it] differently" though.
Not really. I admire 'mature' series that can disturb and thrill without resorting to sensationalism, Tsukihime for instance, but I just don't the impression that this series will ascend beyond the tits and gore level.

I did think the animation, character designs and the music were excellent though...
Old 2004-07-26, 17:01   Link #16
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
It's German

"begegnung" = "meeting"
"vernichtung" = "destruction"
lol, how did I forgot that german is Japanese second favorite foreign language besides english (or is it now their first favorite language?)

now that it's clear, yup indeed the second kanji title could be better translated into something like "search & destroy"
Old 2004-07-26, 17:05   Link #17
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
lol, how did I forgot that german is Japanese second favorite foreign language besides english (or is it now their first favorite language?)

now that it's clear, yup indeed the second kanji title could be better translated into something like "search & destroy"
there does seem to be a german thing going on in the OP visuals too, based on Gustav Klimt's paintings...
Old 2004-07-26, 18:22   Link #18
Srophkor

Send a message via MSN to Srophkor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
there does seem to be a german thing going on in the OP visuals too
Not to mention that the name of the anime itself is german as well
Srophkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 05:43   Link #19
dreamless

Oh, so it's german... yup, online look up returns Elves Song... So Nyuu is an elf? I guess those japanese just love small cat ears instead of long pointy ears...

If later episodes can match up ep1's quality, this series is definitely a must-get for me
Old 2004-07-29, 23:47   Link #20
-Shadow-

Send a message via AIM to -Shadow- Send a message via Yahoo to -Shadow-
Talking Elfen Lied?????

hey everyone, i heard Elfen Lied was really good. Should i watch it??? I want to know your comments as well. Your comments will decide whether or not i watch it, so choose your words carefully
-Shadow- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen