AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-12, 13:22   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Character discussion - Ange

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Ange related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Umineko no Naku Koro ni fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.
  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • As the anime progresses, Please use spoiler tags!VN Spoilers are NOT allowed, except if they are used for comparison sake about events that have been already shown in the anime (or if the timing has been bypassed with no way to be disclosed later on).These must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN. Also please be sure to use spoiler tags for critical scenes from the Anime series with a proper title (like Episode X-Y) in order to not spoil people who didn't catch up the latest anime episodes yet.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-01-12, 17:48   Link #2
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I think I'm one of the few who doesn't like Ange for no reason...
Old 2010-01-12, 18:40   Link #3
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I think I'm one of the few who doesn't like Ange for no reason...
Apparently there are many people who don't like Ange. I found more people not liking her after the anime came out, before then it seemed as if everybody and their grandmom loved Ange. ^^;

Old 2010-01-12, 18:48   Link #4
littlegal100

I'm rather Neutral towards Ange. She's a good character, very sympathetic although I did not find her very interesting in terms of personality.
Old 2010-01-13, 00:12   Link #5
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Having only one episode (EP4) to develop her character so far kinda makes it tough to come to a major conclusion on her yet.

First time I saw her I found her to be pretty badass, but as things progressed she showed herself to have a pretty robotic personality. But that's not hard imagine considering how she grew up after the events of EP3.

Though her scene with Battler was touching.~

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-01-13 at 01:56. Reason: do not mention any VN spoiler
Old 2010-01-13, 02:16   Link #6
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Apparently there are many people who don't like Ange. I found more people not liking her after the anime came out, before then it seemed as if everybody and their grandmom loved Ange. ^^;
I'm actually the opposite. I found her bland and Mary Sueish (not in her actions, but in her whole woe-is-me backstory and draaaaaaaaaaaaagging the beginning of EP4) in the VN, but the Anime actually made me like her more. Combination of her voice and trimming down those flashbacks and 1998 scenes, I think (the only parts of EP4 I think the Anime handled well). Her entrance in episode 18 was enough to give her like 20+ coolness points for me, actually XD

Still, she's not really up there in my list of favorites. I tend not to pity characters and their situations when I feel like the 'pity me' card is being shoved down my throat...but I can appreciate some of the cool stuff she did, and particularly her sacrifice that the Anime butchered. She knew it wouldn't be able to save her, the Ange of 1998, but she did it anyways, and that deserves credit in my opinion. Overall, though, even if she's not traditionally 'emo', her emotionless personality and general blandness doesn't put her on track as one of my favorites...but I don't hate her, either.

For what it's worth, I also feel like she was one of the best and most consistently well-animated characters in the series. I'm not sure why that is, but I can only really remember one QUALITY Ange scene (where her chest was bigger than her head). For the most part she seemed to be animated well, and I like her Anime design a lot more than her VN one (though I feel that way about most characters, she stands out in particular).
Old 2010-01-13, 02:17   Link #7
geovanny1991

Spoiler for Possible Spoiler?:
Old 2010-01-13, 02:39   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I agree: Ange wasn't particularly well adapted, as I personally saw her more "emotionally numb" in the anime than in the game. (Lack of certain scenes, but generally speaking, her emotions were quite stoic).
Actually, what I liked with Ange is how the progression of her emotional state is growing, without being out of character or absurdely random. If I were to see her smiling character sprite right from the start without any build up, I would certainly be sort of disturbed.

Anyway, I think that Ange is the character that got terribly mistaken due to how her past was written (let's face it: the way how it was redundant at times had an impact on the appreciation of the character as a whole for some reason), which rather leaves to some misunderstanding I guess.

Personally, I think she is one of the most interesting and intricate characters of the franchise. Part of it is of course how she had it rough, but I personally was more interested by her mindset growing over time. Any character with remotely the same kind of backstory would just turn into mop or whatever, but that wasn't actually the case for her. She started to be totally "indifferent" at first after losing so much with Eva, then progressively, she understood the "concept of magic" (or probably: how "love" can change a given truth).
That is to say, if I were to define Ange of 1998/meta world, I believe she is nowhere close to the "emo character" or quite unconventional. She never lamented on her fate, nor she was acting like a mop. Instead, she could go forward, even if she won't have what she has longed for 12 years. That is quite something for someone that basically lost everything.

Delusional? I don't exactly think so: the way how she expresses herself regarding Sakutarou and the sisters makes me think she has a very distinct idea of "what they are" in her mind, but that doesn't mean she has to go all pragmatic and deny them. That is sort of the same of people believing in superstition in our era, or people talking to themselves when alone at times.

Anyway, beyond her interesting background and growth, she was also quite entertaining with her jabs and bad ass side, but also a very nice personalty, sort of an all rounder.
Old 2010-01-13, 21:01   Link #9
Thunder Book
Endless Member

I think her story was a little rushed, personally.

Which is weird, because I found her flashbacks in Episode 4 to drag on a lot.
Old 2010-04-13, 10:13   Link #10
Spartanz1170

Not enough Ange Love in this thread!

Ange was a great character that was just used by Bernkastel she almost had no emotion until she "died" in EP4. At least it gave Battler the determination and will along with his promise to Beato to see this through to the end.
Old 2010-04-13, 19:35   Link #11
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I liked where he was going with her, until he just sort of stopped. It feels like he kind of gave up on certain aspects at some point toward the end. Considering how much buildup there was and how much of ep4 belonged to Ange, you'd figure it would be going somewhere else. While some people might call it crazy, I think he could have stretched out 1998 a lot more. Not necessarily through more flashbacks, of course. I don't see why anything really had to be resolved in the way it was by the end there.

She's a very intellectual character, in contrast to Battler, yet is ironically less emotionally stable than he is (even though he's more emotionally expressive). I was hoping for more narration from her point of view.
Old 2010-04-13, 19:58   Link #12
AudriSampson
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl

Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
Im thinking Ange can be compared to Shion in Higurashi. In Higurashi we didnt get a great widespread look at her until she got her own arc that was included in the first season of the anime. I kinda see Ange as incomplete as Shion was in the Higurashi arc she was introduced in. Im sure in one of the upcoming games we'll get a great look at her and she will be totally flushed out. Until then she is still the best of the Ushiromiyas.
Old 2010-04-15, 08:32   Link #13
Digdri
Uu~ Let's solve a riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Anyway, I think that Ange is the character that got terribly mistaken due to how her past was written (let's face it: the way how it was redundant at times had an impact on the appreciation of the character as a whole for some reason), which rather leaves to some misunderstanding I guess.

Personally, I think she is one of the most interesting and intricate characters of the franchise. Part of it is of course how she had it rough, but I personally was more interested by her mindset growing over time. [...]
I guess you are right that the first part of EP4 was overdoing what it was meant to accomplish but I think there is more to this problem. I thought about this for a while because I was always irritated how much controversy the interpretation of this character was causing in the community.

As this train of thoughts got a little longer as intended I will put this in spoilers to avoid wall of text annoyance for those not so interested this kind of meta stuff

Spoiler for space:
Old 2010-04-18, 23:51   Link #14
Pika_power

In retrospect, I think I dislike Ange, but when I read through her story, I don't find it lagging or dull. I enjoyed it as much as the rest of Umineko. So I guess I'm torn on her. I expect to see some more of her later on.

Perhaps the lack of emotional expressions for her is why people consider her 'emo'.
Old 2010-10-11, 18:30   Link #15
SonozakiUshiromiya
Reading your tale. :)

I think Klash and Digdri hit the nail on the head. And Ange's my top fav Umineko character. Being the 'Witch of Ressurection' is impressive in its own right.
Old 2010-10-14, 16:04   Link #16
beatler556
Lawful Nuetral

I think Ange was a pretty good character but I felt her story dragged on a bit. I guess that's why I only read episode 4 once, XD
Old 2010-10-14, 19:52   Link #17
Mikachiru
test

Ange is okay. She's definitely better than Erika and Bern IMO. But she's not so great than what she used to be hyped up to be. Everyone loved her and was making such a big deal out of her, kinda like Erika before EP 5 was released only I actually like Ange.

Ange is good. Just not da bess. :3
Old 2010-10-14, 20:05   Link #18
Judoh
Mystery buff

According to this female character flowchart. (which doesn't list the brother complex as a character trope) Ange is either a "Michelle Rodriguez", a "Mary Sue", or an "Ideal woman". Hmmmmmmm....

But in all seriousness despite how much her story can drag on Ange is pretty tough and I think she has more going for her than a lot of female characters. Hey! at least she has conflict!
Old 2010-10-14, 20:18   Link #19
Judoh
Mystery buff

woops! I forgot people doubt episode 4's end roll! She could also be a "Strong female character". And that's "strong" implying she's tough not strong as in well developed.
Old 2010-10-25, 06:50   Link #20
C-chan
A mere observer

When I knew her story, I didn't thought much of her delusions and magical friends. To me, she's a lonely girl. She and her aunt didn't went well, her beloved brother and parents died, and she had problems in her class.

I liked her personality, the silent but bold type. She's dilligent as well and sort of like a detective to me. Her theories aren't bad. I need more development from her though. Like being able to make friends and have a happy like unlike her sad and lonely life.

Notes of A Normal Highschool Girl

Without love, it cannot be seen.
Without love, magic cannot be seen.
Without love, even the truth cannot be seen.

Closed Thread