AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-09, 23:26   Link #161
Siegel Clyne

Rest of Listed Cast for Aquarion Evol Episodes 1 & 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
In the beginning...

My mind unintentionally flashbacked to Gundam SEED...

I heard Lacus Clyne as Alisia playing Silvia in the movie...

And then I checked the ending credits to confirm my suspicion...

Lacus Clyne's seiyuu, Tanaka Rie, indeed voices Alisia.
While I am at it, I might as well add the rest of the listed cast for Episodes 1 & 2 of Aquarion Evol.

From the Episodes 1 & 2 ending credits, I added the following characters and their respective Japanese voice actors to the Aquarion Evol (TV) anime series entry on The Anime News Network Encyclopedia:

Principal/Commander: Inada Tetsu
Shushu: Yasuno Kiyono
Alisia: Tanaka Rie
Apollon: Touchi Hiroki
Elco (Elcho): Inaba Minoru

Female Operator: Hirose Yuuka
Male Operator: Asari Ryouta
General Soldier B: Nagashima Shinsuke

Since the ending credits write it as "Apollon" in the movie at the beginning of Episode 1, it sounds like Apollon pronounces the name of the character Alisia (Alicia) plays in the movie as "Silvie" ("Sylvie") or something like that.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 00:26   Link #162
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That was enjoyable,not sure what the hell went on but whatever it was it certainly was fun to watch.

Also,Okada writing a story about boys and girls having to unite and get along?That should be....interesting

*goes and graps popcorn*
Old 2012-01-10, 00:37   Link #163
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I completely get preventing the combining of Aquarion Evol because the Aquarion has the power of the gods and could bring destruction if used improperly, but they don't need to have such ridiculous segregation rules to prevent it. A giant wall to seperate the genders? Arguing and lack of cooperation between the males and females? Even the heads of the two sections were at odds with each other in the middle of combat, in the command center. This has clearly gone far beyond segregation out of necessity and into segregation out of sexist beliefs, and based on the terrible performance against Kagura displayed this episode, they clearly could do without that.
When Hibiki and the others joined the Nirvana crew in Vandread, they were allowed to mingle with the rest of the crew despite the fact the two genders were supposed to be actual enemies and had no idea they used to be the same culture. Here, there's none of that enemy setup, yet there's a giant freaking wall between them. Great. >.>

It wouldn't be so bad really (I liked Vandread and really didn't have a problem with the personal conflict between the genders at all), but Aquarion takes it quite a bit further into "Oh my god, my brain is bleeding!" territory. (segregation walls, religious nonsense, etc.)
My brain bled buckets and buckets of blood, so quoted for truth. This is the first show I've watched in a long time that had symbolism this hilarious I laughed out loud at least four or five times while watching.

*copies totoum and grabs popcorn*
Old 2012-01-10, 01:21   Link #164
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
My god this show still ridiculous as ever
With all the orgasm n cheesy word LOL.
At least the cheesy word wasn't ...

Univeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss ssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 02:31   Link #165
leokiko

Quote:
I completely get preventing the combining of Aquarion Evol because the Aquarion has the power of the gods and could bring destruction if used improperly, but they don't need to have such ridiculous segregation rules to prevent it. A giant wall to seperate the genders? Arguing and lack of cooperation between the males and females? Even the heads of the two sections were at odds with each other in the middle of combat, in the command center. This has clearly gone far beyond segregation out of necessity and into segregation out of sexist beliefs, and based on the terrible performance against Kagura displayed this episode, they clearly could do without that.
When Hibiki and the others joined the Nirvana crew in Vandread, they were allowed to mingle with the rest of the crew despite the fact the two genders were supposed to be actual enemies and had no idea they used to be the same culture. Here, there's none of that enemy setup, yet there's a giant freaking wall between them. Great. >.>
And nerfing your own weapons and making them far too weak to do what they were intended to do is extremely counter-productive. Heck, they were getting utterly thrashed even when they formed the Aquarion.

It wouldn't be so bad really (I liked Vandread and really didn't have a problem with the personal conflict between the genders at all), but Aquarion takes it quite a bit further into "Oh my god, my brain is bleeding!" territory. (segregation walls, religious nonsense, etc.)

They are scaredy-cats.

They believe that if they ''evolve'' to something not understandable, they will only destroy themselves. The commander himself said it. It is a power of God, one which mere mortals can't control. That explains everything and it's less absurd than Vandread IMO (an series which I've rewatched many times). But that was all said, so moving on...

It's human nature to get close to a person of the opposite sex. I believe this measures were taken to prevent the Gatai from happening. And putting extremists in both sides were also the right strategy to prevent it. They both implanted the idea that guys/girls can't fight together in their students' minds. It's the perfect setup.

In Vandread, the ONLY REASON guys were permitted to walk around the ship was because Hibiki was the person saving their lives every time. They couldn't fight off those robots from the Earth's harvest just using the girl's dreads.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-01-10 at 02:53.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 03:09   Link #166
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Aquarion EVOL- Start of a New 12,000 Cycle

Almost seven years, isn't it minna-san?

Seven years since we last heard of a legend that stirred up our imaginations due to the vision of one man who planned out this epic story, Shouji Kawamori.

Then, five years ago the OVAs were launched to retell that same story with themes of betrayal and glory.

Now, the current date, and AQUARION rises again to the skies in this new sequel, marking off the start of the 3rd 12,000 years cycle.

I'm very tempted wanting to spoil things concerning the conclusion of the first Aquarion TV series, but I cannot bring myself to do so due that for those having the very first time into the world of Aquarion through AQUARION EVOL have yet to watch the first series: Sousei no Aquarion.

And, it was a misfortune that seven years ago this cool ANIMESUKI forums suffered the 2005 Great Forum Crash in which thousands of worthy posts and comments were forever lost in almost a worth of an entire year.
The Sousei no Aquarion thread had good posts in it.

Ok, enough of the nostalgia.

The past is gone, and the future has come.

Things to start is the superb music and score composed once again by Yoko Kanno along with Ootsuka Ayako. All those memorable pieces and those epic arias that made the first series so memorable, particularly the hymn songs, are back again incorporated into Aquarion EVOL soundtrack. Moreover, to make things for the best to alleviate the nostalgia are that AKINO returns for the sequel performing the ending theme for the one-hour special, two-episode parter. That, and the art & mechanical designs implemented in the first serie's Aquarions are back with the animated designs for the Aquarias and the resurrected Aquarion EVOL.

In the first series, I criticized those designs due that the animation used to render all the mecha made seem their movements too mechanical and not moving smoothly in comparison to other mecha shows. However, I pretty much warmed up to them for the sequel since those times.

And now for the plot and the characters....

Spoiler:

The characters who unknowingly and unwillingly get thrown into the chaos are Amato Sora and Mikono Suzushiro. Both of them quite insecure, nevertheless, they meet at an old, dilapidated cinema that was screening Wings of Aquaria (I think that was the title. I'll have to check it again).

Amato has a hidden complexity regarding an important incident in his childhood that marked his life, and pretty much is a sensitive topic for him whenever Alicia (the girl from his past) is spoken about.

Things could have worked smoother for both teens at their first date, if it weren't for the Abductors, that as their name implies they literally kidnap Earth's inhabitants, and topping it all they come from another dimension.
Spoiler:

At this point, enter the Aquaria which is not one but possibly multiple machines, but the gist is that each Aquaria is combined by sets- ones composed entirely of males and the others composed entirely of females.

Pretty much the idea of male-female union to combine Aquaria is practically taboo, and thus prevented by the Guize? stones installed in all of the Vectors to avoid unpleasant intermingling of the sexes that both sides of the Elements find creepy, particularly the girl squads.

But, man, this is Aquarion, and Aquarion does the unthinkable, the forbidden union which made the unions in the first series so eponymous:
Spoiler:

And, here we have Aquarion resurrected after 12,000 years, but sporting a new dynamic: it evolved to face a greater threat, and thus we got Aquarion EVOL.

Spoiler:

Many mystery rose, and still in pending of something important that was addressed at the end of the first Aquarion series, which will be a key element that will affect the destinies of Amato, Mikono, and all those who will be from now on involved with Aquarion.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 03:43   Link #167
kuromitsu

Quote:
Yeah, but... the entire point is that it's stupid and they shouldn't do that.

Also, this is Aquarion. And Kawamori Shouji (remember the Zentraedi? yeah).
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 03:50   Link #168
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Reactions in thread are hilarious to read so far! I've yet to watch Evolution, but if I remember my Aquarion correctly, the entire point of that show is to make fun of itself, insidiously so. It's good to read that nothing seem to have changed. Looking forward to watching it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 03:52   Link #169
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Reactions in thread are hilarious to read so far! I've yet to watch Evolution, but if I remember my Aquarion correctly, the entire point of that show is to make fun of itself, infuriously so. It's good to see read that nothing seem to have changed. Looking forward to watching it.
Amen to that. Hopefully, Aquarion EVOL will continue to carry on that legacy. The only wish I have is that they don't get carried away too much with the cheesy phrases for the attacks.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 04:18   Link #170
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i just hope they bring back the original Aquarion unit as a cameo in flesh & blood of course, instead of just being a movie & a statue
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 04:40   Link #171
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
They believe that if they ''evolve'' to something not understandable, they will only destroy themselves. The commander himself said it. It is a power of God, one which mere mortals can't control. That explains everything and it's less absurd than Vandread IMO (an series which I've rewatched many times). But that was all said, so moving on...
But like I said, they don't need giant walls of gender segregation to avoid forming Aquarion Evol. Just use the Aquarias. (although, speaking from an out-of-show perspective, they obviously need Aquarion Evol anyway) They don't even need the wall to forbid male/female combining, whether it be Aqauria or Aquarion. >.>

Quote:
It's human nature to get close to a person of the opposite sex. I believe this measures were taken to prevent the Gatai from happening. And putting extremists in both sides were also the right strategy to prevent it. They both implanted the idea that guys/girls can't fight together in their students' minds. It's the perfect setup.
A setup which totally backfired on them. The commanders were getting into an argument in the middle of a battle in their own command center for crying out loud. "Sir, we shouldn't leave this fight to men and their limited abilities!" "What?! Women are way worse!!"
Really? Really???

Quote:
In Vandread, the ONLY REASON guys were permitted to walk around the ship was because Hibiki was the person saving their lives every time. They couldn't fight off those robots from the Earth's harvest just using the girl's dreads.
And here in Aquarion Evol neither the girls nor guys alone can fight off the Abductors. But only one of these series has a giant wall of gender segregation, even though in the other series the men and women are supposed to be enemies. They were clearly more sensible about how to fight off the bad guys in Vandread than they are here in Aquarion Evol.
Really guys, the wall says it all. "Overblown."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Yeah, but... the entire point is that it's stupid and they shouldn't do that.

Also, this is Aquarion. And Kawamori Shouji (remember the Zentraedi? yeah).
I get that Aquarion has always made fun of itself, but it's either done to a degree of siliness or gone totally out of whack. Those two levels don't really mingle that well, and if this segregation thing is supposed to be a mingling of those two, it didn't quite work out. The segregation thing is far more annoying than it is hilarious, especially when the guys and girls in charge are arguing in the middle of combat.
Giants bred to be living weapons to fight wars for an ancient advanced alien race makes much more sense than a giant wall of gender segregation.

What really irks me is that this whole crappy segregation thing is undoubtedly going to screw with the romantic aspect of this show. (and you know the romance is going to be an important angle with Kawamori steering) Amata and Mikono are obviously going to be stuck on opposite sides of that dumb wall, with the people in charge doing whatever they can to keep them apart and shoot down whatever happens between them. (and I get the feeling that jackass Cayenne won't be helpful with that either) I really, really hate it when stuff like that happens in a romance show. I'm a subscriber to the old saying: "People who get in the way of love should be kicked by a horse and die." And of course, I'm a romance buff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i just hope they bring back the original Aquarion unit as a cameo in flesh & blood of course, instead of just being a movie & a statue
It's possible, since Apollo (and thus most likely Sylvia) is clearly going to have some sort of role in this series. But I wouldn't bet much on it since the original Aquarion was used to pull the world back together, and could very well still be needed down there in the ground to keep the world alive.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2012-01-10 at 05:15.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 05:24   Link #172
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That transformation scene was soo bad.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 05:40   Link #173
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You watch Aquarion series for that.
Old 2012-01-10, 06:21   Link #174
ReddyRedWolf

One theory I have much like Celine splitting her soul to Sylvie and Sirius is that Apollo reincarnated into two persons. Kagura and Amato. Considering both boys reactions that would make Mikino a reincarnated Sylvie. Talk about being different from your past life!

Celine was a warrior maiden, then Sylvie was a tomboy brocon , now she’s a weak girly girl.

Andy though that’s definitely Pierre reincarnated. Skirt chasing crossed beyond the afterlife.

Given her “Burst” description I think Zessica is Tsugumi reincarnated.

Which brings to question who is Sirius and Toma this time.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:26   Link #175
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
One theory I have much like Celine splitting her soul to Sylvie and Sirius is that Apollo reincarnated into two persons. Kagura and Amato. Considering both boys reactions that would make Mikino a reincarnated Sylvie. Talk about being different from your past life!

Celine was a warrior maiden, then Sylvie was a tomboy brocon , now she’s a weak girly girl.

Andy though that’s definitely Pierre reincarnated. Skirt chasing crossed beyond the afterlife.

Given her “Burst” description I think Zessica is Tsugumi reincarnated.

Which brings to question who is Sirius and Toma this time.
This seems to be the case. But I admit the first time I saw Zessica I was sure she was at least half of Sylvie ...but it seems I was wrong
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:26   Link #176
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Haha, even though it was a few years since I saw the dub version of the first series on TV, and even though I didn't even finish watching it- Everything about this extended first episode just screams Aquarion Everything from the weird symbolism to the general crazy-over-the-top feelings from the first series is still as I've remembered

BUT! With a few exceptions... I see Shu has successful made his transition into this series, not the whole wuss part but rather the whole 'everything for the cute girl I've just met' hasn't changed (Same VA I know) But whatever, it's gonna happen sooner or later so we might as well get it over with early.

Secondly I'm sure this was probably noticed by a number of people- but the whole Gender and Gatai issue is very reminiscent of another old school mecha series 'Vandread'... This one I did finish though, both seasons I'm sure it would provide us with tons of fun in the near future (Looks like we got jerk characters and 'bro' characters on both side of the gender line though...yaa >.>)

Normal beginning -> Excellent Mecha fights -> Eagerly anticipating kickass moment that never came -> Boring extended emo period and blame game that drives me crazy -> Eventual kickass moment that isn't satisfying enough.

Conclusion: Keep on watch.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-01-10 at 09:57. Reason: typo
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:59   Link #177
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
do you expect a Getter Robo-style transformation?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 11:44   Link #178
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
the entire point of that show is to make fun of itself, insidiously so. It's good to read that nothing seem to have changed. Looking forward to watching it.
Too bad it completely failed with the original series. I've seen many "so bad it's good" series that clearly achieve this, while Aquarion managed waste it with episodes over episodes of nothing (especially in the latter part). EVOL doesn't look that better, especially since again it goes with the huge cast, something that didn't clearly work in the original.
Is Kawamori writing this as well? I don't recall.

Last edited by xizro345; 2012-01-10 at 12:03.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 12:00   Link #179
Arya

Watched. First 10 minutes I was so impressed by the animation that I forgot to read the subs, or I just stopped, I don't remember. The Venice-like settings was outstanding. If we add a gondola trip, and the name Amata that is the Italian for beloved - (feminine), I thought, looking for romance?
Well, to cut short, after 20/25 minutes I was hypnotized by all the absurdity. And I finished the double episode thinking, ok, I'll drop it. No regrets. And then I remembered, wait, it's Aquarion.
So I'll stick at it for some more episodes
I like Mikono for now, by the way.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 12:23   Link #180
leokiko

Quote:
A setup which totally backfired on them. The commanders were getting into an argument in the middle of a battle in their own command center for crying out loud. "Sir, we shouldn't leave this fight to men and their limited abilities!" "What?! Women are way worse!!"
Really? Really???
This system was obviously going to backfire at them, but they were aware of that. They didn't have a choice. You are forgetting the fact that they were desperate to keep them away no matter what, even if they would have to construct an giant wall.

Quote:

And here in Aquarion Evol neither the girls nor guys alone can fight off the Abductors. But only one of these series has a giant wall of gender segregation, even though in the other series the men and women are supposed to be enemies. They were clearly more sensible about how to fight off the bad guys in Vandread than they are here in Aquarion Evol.
Really guys, the wall says it all. "Overblown."

That's because in Vandread what they learn about the opposite sex is stupid and all just a bunch of lies. They teach women are monsters that will eat you or something like that. And also, the commander of the ship was from the first generation (she lived on the time guys/girls lived in the Earth) so she didn't have that concept about men on her mind. So she didn't fear that Hibiki would gain more power if together with girls, she was actually HOPING for it. Here they are all afraid of it, they prefer to fight off the Abductors with little strength and hope to survive instead of reaching a power that might run out of control.
Quote:
I thought it was epic
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction