AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-14, 11:21   Link #261
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanw View Post
^Well you would understand the pressure people would feel when they are stranded on an unknown island and try to leave it, survival may sometimes lead a person some much pressure they become insane which is basically what happens.
Yeah but I wish there was more to these things than just "the stress made them go crazy". You could pretty much explain anything that way.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 11:42   Link #262
Ray
Garnet

Himiko's one hell of a girl to be able to throw punches like those. She also seems to how to elbow and kick people properly. I wonder if she took up some martial art after that incident with Miho.. considering that she carries a stun gun on her person, I think it'd make plenty sense..

I also thought it was impressive that she was able to get out of that jerk's apartment. Even if she had to leave her friends behind..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 13:59   Link #263
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yeah but I wish there was more to these things than just "the stress made them go crazy". You could pretty much explain anything that way.
It is implied that they were put on that island for a particular reason. It's very possible that most of the participants in this "game" are already pretty crazy to begin with. Some of them may have already committed a crime or two.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 05:23   Link #264
larethian

This show was really disturbing at first, especially with a seemingly dark protagonist; it's really not my type of show, but it got me to try episode 2 at least. After watching episode 2, out of curiosity, I went to check out the manga (also kind of dying to know what happens next). And now, I'm caught up to the latest volume 9 (v10 of this, with v14 of Binbougami will be a long wait).

Overall, I'm relatively pleased with various developments in the story and I got to like the protagonist better as the story progresses. Several things were still pretty disturbing but they became pretty manageable once you understand what the author is trying to accomplish.

BOT: I must say though, one needs to watch/read this series with a moderate amount of suspension of disbelief (wrt events, circumstances, technology). In a way, it's like HSotD: ie. just watch it for the entertainment value (not talking about the boobs though ).

I'm also glad that they censored pretty heavily the anime (otherwise it would never have made it onto the public channel anyway), and had also made this change:
Spoilers
Spoiler for comparison to manga
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just like HSotD, it is a shame that the anime will get an original ending (given that the manga has only reached halfway point). And I'm not saying this because of the boobs, but the psychological elements in the story. But I guess the original ending won't be really that screwed up (the premise makes it easily possible to branch out and have a satisfying ending with a few borrowed plot devices from more future volumes, though I wonder which volume will they do it from), unless they make a totally dark ending.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 05:42   Link #265
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Moving Himiko's story earlier was the wisest choice, since the second episode was wayyyyyy more interesting than the first... and I don't imply that it was because of Himiko's boobs, I'd rather watch what happened to the bespectacled classmate, than her bimbo friend, as well as the background of the characters that have appeared thus far... that's more engaging than nicely drawn explosions and hollywood physics
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 08:33   Link #266
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There's a reason why the people put on this island tend to be scums.
People sent to the island were people who were hated by others, enough to want death on them. (remember the conversation girls were having?)

There are case of rather innocent victims, such as the girl in this case, but for the most part, the people chosen to be put here would generally be scums who are hated by others.
Old 2012-10-15, 09:52   Link #267
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Was this in reference to someone's post? Or are you referring to the line in the anime in which someone claimed there are no "real girls" on the interwebz?

Poor girl getting savaged by a big mound/pile of fat and blubber, that's gotta be pretty disgusting, not to mention, "it's rain?"

*nope*

"Sorry to burst your bubble girl, it's a fat dude sweating profusely all over you, and he's going to proceed to slobber all over your chest"

*gross*

So fat people are disgusting ?

I'll never get that cliché , i found the sensei rapist more disgusting than the guy on the island

Ok both are rapist and horrible people but the sensei guy calculated the move since the beginning and we can call those guys serial rapist , this is way more disgusting than just a fat guy wich became total crazy into a fucked up island

And some fat guy are pretty cool in fact IRL.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 10:45   Link #268
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, it's basically like this. Fatness is a sign of a person not taking good care of themselves. So characters who take poor care of themselves are usually smelly and fat and disgustingly dirty, just to drive the point home.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:04   Link #269
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Well, it's basically like this. Fatness is a sign of a person not taking good care of themselves. So characters who take poor care of themselves are usually smelly and fat and disgustingly dirty, just to drive the point home.
That's an oversimplification, since accumulation of fat and metabolism are heavily influenced by inheritance. Also another major factor is early upbringing, like diet and exercise before puberty. So yes there is a correlation between fat and undesirable personality traits, but that does not imply a causal relationship, i.e. people are not jerks because they are fat.

As for the bad smell, fat people sweat more and eat a greater variety of food, so it follows that they are more likely to smell.

All that said, it always depends on the individual adult to just let go or work against the problems his parent passed to him.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:07   Link #270
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That's an oversimplification, since accumulation of fat and metabolism are heavily influenced by inheritance. Also another major factor is early upbringing, like diet and exercise before puberty. So yes there is a correlation between fat and undesirable personality traits, but that does not imply a causal relationship, i.e. people are not jerks because they are fat.

As for the bad smell, fat people sweat more and eat a greater variety of food, so it follows that they are more likely to smell.

All that said, it always depends on the individual adult to just let go or work against the problems his parent passed to him.
Oh I am very well aware of the oversimplification. But I'm not the one who writes this story.

Either way, if you want to portray someone who doesn't take good care of themselves, make them fat, smelly, give him a disgusting look like pimples or whatnot, and for an added bonus give them glasses, although that last one hasn't got anything to do with anything.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:15   Link #271
Malkuth
Banned

Well, I also have to say that taking care of yourself does not imply that you will take care of others... but that was covered by the creators by portraying the fat otaku as only attempting to rape the bimbo after driven to the edge, while her male friends who did take extremely good care of themselves gangraped three schoolgirls and tried to the fourth one.
Old 2012-10-15, 12:29   Link #272
wakan_tanka

Has anyone noticed that the the main protoganist is very similar to Light from Death note?
wakan_tanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 12:43   Link #273
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakan_tanka View Post
Has anyone noticed that the the main protoganist is very similar to Light from Death note?
Looks like him, but does not seem to be such a jerk
Old 2012-10-15, 15:07   Link #274
Taivasvaeltaja

Quote:
Looks like him, but does not seem to be such a jerk
You mean Light was not a jerk like Btooom's protagonist? Because Light really wasn't a huge jerk to other people.
Taivasvaeltaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 15:25   Link #275
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taivasvaeltaja View Post
Light really wasn't a huge jerk to other people.
You have a very forgiving view of the word "jerk".
Old 2012-10-15, 16:44   Link #276
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Well, I also have to say that taking care of yourself does not imply that you will take care of others... but that was covered by the creators by portraying the fat otaku as only attempting to rape the bimbo after driven to the edge, while her male friends who did take extremely good care of themselves gangraped three schoolgirls and tried to the fourth one.
Again, don't look at me, I'm not a writer. I'm just stating common methods of portraying characters. However, there is no correlation between taking care of themselves or being a rapist. I was merely trying to elaborate on why fiction insists that fat people are smelly. It's because those traits are often used at the same time along with other traits to make sure the audience knows that this guy does not properly take care of himself.

You know, because Viewers Are Morons and Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taivasvaeltaja View Post
Light really wasn't a huge jerk to other people.
I blinked several times while reading that to make sure I was reading that right. Ahahaha.

I AM assuming that was a joke.

Actually I did get some Light vibes. But yeah this guy doesn't seem as big of a jerk as Light is.
Old 2012-10-15, 19:35   Link #277
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Umm ... well, I must admit that I was not a big fan of the manga before watching the first ep, and after watching the first ep it really does not seem like my sort of thing. :\

Ah well.
Old 2012-10-16, 19:34   Link #278
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Guuhhh, I was hoping we'd see what was gong to happen between the 2 once they met, but the second episode was her story on how she got there -_-

It was ok nonetheless, I was expecting the guy that was chasing them to appear and save her but eh, the outcome was reasonable. An entertaining episode, but please, let the 3rd episode continue the story now
Old 2012-10-18, 10:42   Link #279
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Spoiler for one of the characters in episode 3:

the main site has more pictures but only those who read the manga should go see it. it will be in the story section

oh yeah episode 3 raw is already out

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2012-10-18 at 11:04.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 11:15   Link #280
klare

Himiko seems to be the best with the booms, her first throw is a direct kill

Tags
action, seinen